Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You for real on that? That's about to change my world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

dogstile posted:

You for real on that? That's about to change my world

It works for me. I'm pretty sure it's intentional, but if the light attracts them then flashing it may just bug them out and they reset. :shrug:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Upgrade I want: collapsable Seaglide. Exactly the same but a third the inventory size. I would blow a lot of resources on that.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Upgrade I want: collapsable Seaglide. Exactly the same but a third the inventory size. I would blow a lot of resources on that.

Something you'd do at the Modification Station. Maybe animate it folding out of a smaller configuration when you equip it the first time, heh, though that's asking a lot from the devs of a finished game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Speedball posted:

Though that's asking a lot from the devs of a finished game.

Not if it's done for Below Zero and backported!

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Just give me flippers with thrusters on them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just went down below 500m for the first time, in a Prawn suit, trying to find the Degasi habitat. I ended up getting lost about 700-800m deep and finding warpers, dragon bones, EMP octopi(?), something that apparently needs an orange tablet, and quite a lot of pants-making GBS threads terror. Next time I go back, I'm gonna need to bring a lot more med kits. Also one of those cool arms I heard about that does something besides just punch.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 24, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

PMush Perfect posted:

I just went down below 500m for the first time, in a Prawn suit, trying to find the Degasi habitat. I ended up getting lost about 700-800m deep and finding warpers, dragon bones, EMP octopi(?), something that apparently needs an orange tablet, and quite a lot of pants-making GBS threads terror. Next time I go back, I'm gonna need to bring a lot more med kits. Also one of those cool arms I heard about that does something besides just punch.

:allears:

The music when you go into the Sunken River the first time is soooooo gooooooood. The whole ambiance is creepy as gently caress.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I should press forward with the plot but I really just wanna keep decorating my base and making it nicer.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

MikeJF posted:

I should press forward with the plot but I really just wanna keep decorating my base and making it nicer.

The plot can wait, your inspiration won't.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

PMush Perfect posted:

You want one of the spider-man arms and either drill arm or punchy arm. Then go to town on those evil things by latching on to them and drilling/punching them. You can even catch a ride with them.

The thingie you need and the place you are looking for is related, remember where you needed the thingie. I always struggle with finding the place you need the thingie for.

Explanations on what I mean by thingie and such
Thingie = Orange tablet
Place you are looking for = Degasi habitat at 500m
Place you need thingie for = Alien laboratory in the Lost River, where you were

MikeJF posted:

Take your time and make a great base.
Then find out about this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/102
And spend even more hours decorating your base.

Install this first: https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/16 - Just download and run it
Then install this: https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/113 - Put it in the Qmods folder in the subnautica folder. Create the qmods folder if it doesn't exist. Then drop in the above mod as well. No new game required.

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 24, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

I always struggle with finding the place you need the thingie for.
I long ago got in the habit of always keeping a beacon or two with me. I'm actually starting to get overprepared (2 medkits, a nutrient bar, 2+ distilled water, every tool I have, a seaglide, a decoy, a flare, a purple tablet, an ion cube, a spare battery, 2 spare power cells...) to the point where I don't tend to have a lot of room for loot.

MikeJF posted:

:yeah:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

PMush Perfect posted:

I long ago got in the habit of always keeping a beacon or two with me. I'm actually starting to get overprepared (2 medkits, a nutrient bar, 2+ distilled water, every tool I have, a seaglide, a decoy, a flare, a purple tablet, an ion cube, a spare battery, 2 spare power cells...) to the point where I don't tend to have a lot of room for loot.

I also over-prepared like you do, though I skipped the spare power cells, those went into the vehicle cargo. After having to go back and forth way to much while gathering stuff, I started dropping most of the stuff at the base instead.
So now I have the seaglide, repair tool, habitat builder, knife and scanner with me. Nothing else. I swap out all the batteries at the base before I leave, fill up on food and water, then gather more as I go if needed. Heated blade let's you keep going for a bit even if you are dehydrated.

Unless I am using the Cyclops, then I have enough materials to build a giant base and enough food and water to survive forever.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
edit: wrong thread somehow.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just shoved a small planter of bulboa trees in the cyclops. Its basically infinite food/water.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I find the final fetchquest hilariously easy mostly because I'd been a pack rat and kept samples of everything I'd found.

And yeah, between Marblemelons and lantern trees, a single planter in the Cyclops can make it totally self-sustaining.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can I build moonpools in various scattered places and shout SAFE as I zoom up into it with a bunch of monsters following me then wait a bit then zoom to the next one

Deep exploration.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

MikeJF posted:

Can I build moonpools in various scattered places and shout SAFE as I zoom up into it with a bunch of monsters following me then wait a bit then zoom to the next one

Deep exploration.

Yes, but the only place dangerous enough to do that is off the edge of the map.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yes, but the only place dangerous enough to do that is off the edge of the map.
I got eaten by a giant snake monster that cracked my Seamoth like an egg what the gently caress are you talking about

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

PMush Perfect posted:

I got eaten by a giant snake monster that cracked my Seamoth like an egg what the gently caress are you talking about

That only really happens once or twice in the early game when you've only really explored the shallows and are lulled into a false sense of security. After that, you learn what places are dangerous and can sonar to avoid.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PMush Perfect posted:

I never experienced this, did I play too safe?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

dogstile posted:

I never experienced this, did I play too safe?

Did you finish the game without making GBS threads yourself?

If so, you did not get the full Subnautica experience.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Currently playing a new game and rushed down to the tree cove to build my main base. I’m living out of that cave now through an elaborate system of beacons for navigation and using the prawn to collect the building materials I need to expand. I need so much loving titanium.

I forgot where the Teleporter is down here though. I’d like a quick surface shortcut.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I were designing this game, I'd have a vehicle that you can craft from fairly early, maybe about maybe a quarter of the way into game which is basically just a room you can put storage and things in. Say it can't power equipment inside when travelling and isn't that fast or maneuverable, but it can dock directly to a base with an airlock and become part of that base and draw power from it. Make it easier for you to build multiple bases around the map without the irritation of items and expensive tools being a hassle to move or being left behind at a main base.

I know that there's a late-game vehicle you can build, but by then you've probably done a lot of exploring and established a homebase and from what I hear it fills a bit of a different role.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 25, 2019

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
You just just described the "Sea Truck" (likely in-dev name only) in Below Zero.

I'll link directly to some really early footage of it instead of embedding in case folks want to go in blind. But I think it was previously linked in this thread?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

OH CHRIST IT WAS DARK AND SOMETHING GRABBED ME AND IT WAS TOO DARK TO SEE EXCEPT A BLUR AND NEARLY CRUSHED ME AND HELD ON AND WAS ROARING

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:krakken:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I would be really happy if the next game would just look at all the lockers in a base and go "ok, you can make these in your fabricator".

I got really tired of having to go rummage for poo poo towards the end.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

dogstile posted:

I would be really happy if the next game would just look at all the lockers in a base and go "ok, you can make these in your fabricator".

There's a mod on nexus that can fix that.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

dogstile posted:

The nexus mod for that (goon created I believe) is so wonderful addition and I cannot recommend it enough.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wrr posted:

The nexus mod for that (goon created I believe) is so wonderful addition and I cannot recommend it enough.

It’s loving great. I also have the one that will craft intermediates for me so I just dump all my salvage metal in the locker and start building with the base tool.

The locker mod also has some good range. So I’ve been building my base off the lockers inside my submarine by just parking it above my spot.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Does the main plot give you anything because I've mostly been ignoring it in favor of diving deep and building bases in the most :krad: places I can find.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

ThingOne posted:

Does the main plot give you anything because I've mostly been ignoring it in favor of diving deep and building bases in the most :krad: places I can find.

Ehhh not really. It will lead you towards some resource rich locations and will lead you deeper. I guess having to explorer the Aurora counts as 'main plot' and being 'given something'?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yall who build deep bases in the Tree Cove and surrounds, how do you deal with the lack of table coral for circuits? You can't grow it, so it's the only material I found myself needing to go back to the Safe Zone to find.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

General Battuta posted:

Yall who build deep bases in the Tree Cove and surrounds, how do you deal with the lack of table coral for circuits? You can't grow it, so it's the only material I found myself needing to go back to the Safe Zone to find.

Fun fact, there's a bunch of table coral in a bunch of biomes. Happy hunting.

Lost River has some

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I made a massive stockpile before moving down there - not a long term solution but it was the best thing I could think of.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Table coral grows right in the big intersection before the tree cove.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Early access launches January 30th
https://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/below-zero-early-access/

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That was quick, wow. Still not gonna play it until full release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'll be tempted but I think I want to wait for the full release.