Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gay picnic defence posted:

Anyone got any fishing goals for 2019?

I’m still yet to get a tuna on my kayak so that’s high on my list. I’d also really like to catch a decent shark - not necessarily on the kayak though.

Catch more crab.

Catch some salmon.

I'm a simple man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anyone got any fishing goals for 2019?

I’m still yet to get a tuna on my kayak so that’s high on my list. I’d also really like to catch a decent shark - not necessarily on the kayak though.

Buy a pole and other stuff.
Catch a fish.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I didn't fish at all this year except for this xmas-new years trip to Florida with my friend, so my total for the year is 2 Cobia, 1 Lizardfish. He caught similar, but also hooked what the charter guide presumed was a full sized Goliath Grouper. 2019 we resolve to fish more.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
- Bring more fish into the kayak, either different places, or get a better handle of where I frequent.
- Less lure changing.
- More bank/bobber time with my son

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Took the kids out this morning and we got skunked. My son caught a little bonnet head with the cast net for fun but that was it. So that ends 18.

My keeper totals for the year would be a hundred or so whiting. Couple of trout and red drum. Two black drum. Half a dozen flounder and sheepshead. Four nice pompano. Assorted snappers. And hundreds of trash fish and non keepers including some giant bull red drums.

We're gonna take a party charter out later this week since the money for a tuna trip doesn't seem to be coming my way.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

2019 will be the year of the bull red drum COME ON LET'S DO THIS

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My 2019 will be about figuring this big river I've moved next to. Also a bunch of ponds and good estuary fishing not too far away. Also going crabbing more, that will be fun.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

This year, I will figure out a decent place for freshwater bank fishing. The river near me is so tannic you can't see your bait more than a foot down. The ponds here are clear as gin, but either have houses around them or need a boat to get to them.

Today was my first time trying the river from a couple of new spots. I snapped off several lures (on 40lb braid no less) on cypress knobs in the first of 3 parks and somehow my only black and blue football jig left my cast wrong and wound up wrapped around the literal top of a tree. I couldn't have hit that shot if I had tried it. :saddowns:

Next stop in a pond next to a lake in the next county over. I will find a good fishing spot drat it. And then buy a kayak to fish it. :argh:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I think with super stained or muddy water you're supposed to use pink plastics and beads for noise

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Inline spinners are good too, as are lipless crankbaits. Or the hybrid-ish lures in between crankbaits and spoons, blade baits.

Live bait would work, too. Or dead. You probably have catfish around, right?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The water was a bit chilly for a moving bait to do much to entice the bass, despite being in the 80s for a few days beforehand. (Horray florida!) And black and blue works wonders in tannic and muddy water from experience. And white. And reds. And junebug. And bright electric blue. Sadly I only had black and blue on me, so away I went. Straight into the top of a loving 30ish foot tall tree.

And if I want catfish, I can go out to the coast and use some shrimp and come home with enough for a fish fry that tastes delicious.

A few of the old timers told me I was better off going a bit farther north for bass, but they also claimed they caught smallmouth there. Afaik, there are no smallmouth naturally in florida, but this river system does have Suwannee bass in it so maybe they meant that. Either way, its been just fun checking out local spots and parks.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Got a trip booked for Saturday. El cheapo party boat but we're going after two faves: trigger fish and vermilion snapper. Hopefully we'll max out and more than cover the trip with fillets.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

fair winds and following seas, may posideon's gilded turd chute blort forth a bounty of fish my friend

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Nothing wrong with a party boat. Any excuse to get offshore is a good one.

2018 catch list:
- Six unimpressive planted trout
- 12-15 black rockfish
- A couple of limits of razor clams
- A couple of limits of oysters
- About a dozen redtail surfperch
- A few striped surfperch
- A few little yellow perch
- Eight crabs
- NO LINGCOD :mad:

In 2018 I put together a pretty decent little setup for making jigs and sinkers. I've made a few hundred now but I always need more practice. :siren:I will send jigs and sinkers to any goon who needs them.:siren: I use Mustad hooks and have a number of different mold and sinker designs. I don't want your money, I want you to go fishing.

2019 goals:

- Make more tackle. Practice more with the jigs that I make
- Learn to make soft lures and tie basic flies, then practice with them
- Catch some crappie
- Catch a walleye
- Catch at least one salmon
- Catch at least one lingcod
- Go clamming for things in addition to razor clams / find a good local source for mussels
- Surf fish the Carolinas
- Catch a striper in NYC (this one is more bucket list item, I guess)

Also, I would encourage people to post pics of their catch to the Post a Fish! thread in the Take a Hike subforum. There is also talk of a fly-tying & tacklecraft thread in the works. Fish threads are the best threads.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Oh, can we see some of your lures?

I've been getting a kick out of The Handmade Fisherman (youtube).

I am hoping to just get out there fishing, looks like another Goon and I will be hitting the ice next week sometime

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

In 2018 I put together a pretty decent little setup for making jigs and sinkers. I've made a few hundred now but I always need more practice. :siren:I will send jigs and sinkers to any goon who needs them.:siren: I use Mustad hooks and have a number of different mold and sinker designs. I don't want your money, I want you to go fishing.

2019 goals:

- Make more tackle. Practice more with the jigs that I make
- Learn to make soft lures and tie basic flies, then practice with them
- Catch some crappie
- Catch a walleye
- Catch at least one salmon
- Catch at least one lingcod
- Go clamming for things in addition to razor clams / find a good local source for mussels
- Surf fish the Carolinas
- Catch a striper in NYC (this one is more bucket list item, I guess)

Also, I would encourage people to post pics of their catch to the Post a Fish! thread in the Take a Hike subforum. There is also talk of a fly-tying & tacklecraft thread in the works. Fish threads are the best threads.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A Pack Of Kobolds (and some others) might get a kick out of this, a guy who makes custom plastic lures to sell and for himself. He also does a bunch of how-tos on different colors and styles. Hes also somewhat entertaining which is a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCScpvPNtZxs7gC_lSHXDUcw

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Party boat was a good time. We didn't make our money back but we ended up with 10 really nice vermilion snapper which coverted to 6 pounds of fillets. A crewman was off duty, brought his own tackle and got two gorgeous huge cobia and a nice Spanish Mack. We spotted a eight foot hammerhead cruising off the bow. Fuckin huge!

We picked two spots all the way forward on the bow and had no issues with tangles or space. Perfect weather, mid sixties and calm seas. The only thing that sucked was my Publix sub turned to mush because it was overloaded with veggies.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nice snappers.

No sandwich pic?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dukket posted:

Oh, can we see some of your lures?
Sure! I don't know if I want to call them lures yet, but I do want to get a rotary vise for tying bucktails and marabou jigs.

Here are some unpainted ones fresh from the molds. In the bottom of the frame are 1/16 & 1/32 crappie jigs made on tiny little #8 and #10 sproat hooks. Unlike most jigs, the hook on these hangs vertically and the weight is slightly below the eye. The ones on the right need to be cleaned up. The rest of these are bog standard 1/16 and 1/32 roundheads on #4 and #6 Aberdeen jig hooks. Fresh, fluxed lead is so shiny. :)

Here are a bunch of walking sinkers (primarily for lindy rigs) in various sizes. Below those are some gravedigger jigs, a design which I was not familiar with but looked so interesting that I wanted to give it a shot. These range from 1/8 to 1/2 oz on Aberdeen hooks ranging from #1 to 3/0, but I believe only the largest are pictured here.

Gravedigger detail.

Some painted jigs: smaller gravediggers and some tube & tail jigs on O'Shaughnessy hooks. The white, chartreuse, and pink paints are all glow in the dark, and the black and candy blue jigs in this pic have a gold glitter clear coat.

These are some imperfect roundheads and paint drips fresh from the curing (toaster) oven. I painted these practice, which I need since apparently I'm using too much if it's dripping during curing. I swish it around in the powder for less than a second to coat, but I guess I still need to dial it back.

I've got a bunch of other molds (jigs, sinkers, spinners, vibrating blade lures, etc), too, but these are the pics I had on my phone. I need to get some wire forms for the spinners and some blade blanks, though, so I can't make any of those yet.

Elmnt80 posted:

A Pack Of Kobolds (and some others) might get a kick out of this, a guy who makes custom plastic lures to sell and for himself. He also does a bunch of how-tos on different colors and styles. Hes also somewhat entertaining which is a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCScpvPNtZxs7gC_lSHXDUcw
Very much appreciated! :tipshat: I've certainly been eyeballing startup costs for making custom soft lures. I've come this far, might as well go full sperg and make some stuff to pair with the lead.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

New rod is in. Its very nice and really light. Like absurdly light. Even compared to a cheaper rod from the same company. And absurdly sensitive. Definitely worth the money I paid, worth it even if it wasn't 50% off.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 7, 2019

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
You weren't kidding, you have made a lot. Looking good.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

King of Bees posted:

Party boat was a good time. We didn't make our money back but we ended up with 10 really nice vermilion snapper which coverted to 6 pounds of fillets. A crewman was off duty, brought his own tackle and got two gorgeous huge cobia and a nice Spanish Mack. We spotted a eight foot hammerhead cruising off the bow. Fuckin huge!

We picked two spots all the way forward on the bow and had no issues with tangles or space. Perfect weather, mid sixties and calm seas. The only thing that sucked was my Publix sub turned to mush because it was overloaded with veggies.

if you ask, they can chop the veggies and put them in a deli baggie on the side. And a mush pub sub is still pretty darn good.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Caught probably 30 smallmouth in 2018. I had one lake trout and lost him right at the boat. Goal for 2019 is to catch a pike. And maybe buy a kayak.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Suspect Bucket posted:

if you ask, they can chop the veggies and put them in a deli baggie on the side. And a mush pub sub is still pretty darn good.

That's a really drat good idea. Thank you. The sub bread had unfortunately turned into slime. If I had a bowl and utensils I could've salvaged it as a good salad, however I had no access to either :(

Pan fried some skin on snapper in butter and olive oil with just salt and pepper on the night of the catch and Jesus they were good. We enough left for three more family dinners.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dukket posted:

You weren't kidding, you have made a lot. Looking good.

Thanks! Here's a mostly complete inventory of the molds that I have. Anyone is welcome to PM me about this poo poo.

King of Bees posted:

Pan fried some skin on snapper in butter and olive oil with just salt and pepper on the night of the catch and Jesus they were good. We enough left for three more family dinners.

Fuckin' dying over here. That's awesome!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Can we update thread name to 2015 yet?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

King of Bees posted:

Can we update thread name to 2015 yet?

No. It is forever 2014.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Mukulu and I got out on the ice yesterday. Three little Northerns on tips ups. It was a nice refresher after nearly 30 years since my last ice fishing trip.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

The other day was 40C (104F) so wasn't a day to spend on land.

My old man got onto this big girl, it was 8.3kgs (18lbs) and we got ~4kgs (8.8lbs) of fillets off it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Where are you? I don’t recognize it from the west or east coast of the US.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I'm betting Western Australia. They get all the cool fish.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

ElZilcho posted:

The other day was 40C (104F) so wasn't a day to spend on land.

My old man got onto this big girl, it was 8.3kgs (18lbs) and we got ~4kgs (8.8lbs) of fillets off it.

Hell yeah!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Hooplah posted:

I'm betting Western Australia. They get all the cool fish.

It looks like a dhufish and they’re pretty much exclusive to WA. The fishing there is insane, a friend of mine keeps sending me pics of all his trips and I’m insanely jealous.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

It looks like a dhufish and they’re pretty much exclusive to WA. The fishing there is insane, a friend of mine keeps sending me pics of all his trips and I’m insanely jealous.

Yep Western Australia, can't really complain about the fishing even here in metro waters. We ended up being about 17NM from shore which isn't really too far.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hey guys, any opinions on a TFO NXT (linked below) kit as a first fly rod (will be using in mountain rivers/streams in CO)? I've got a couple of friends who recommend them as a beginner item, but good lord there's a wealth of opinions on beginner rods that have me a little confused.

https://www.madriveroutfitters.com/p-14375-tfo-nxt-fly-rod-kits.aspx

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Brian Latimer has a good series about the build of his falcon bass boat for the 2019 FLW tour. Its kinda neat to watch. The order they use to build the hull is super neat, along with the fact that it only takes around a week to put it together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktZUSQbt7aA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtoIiKaJaG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es4bHjH88dc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFXxuUFxMTU

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 24, 2019

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Anyone ever gone fishing in Cozumel? I can probably get my wife to agree to a half day trip if anyone knows any good charters. I've never fished saltwater before, would love to give it a try.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

ElZilcho posted:

Yep Western Australia, can't really complain about the fishing even here in metro waters. We ended up being about 17NM from shore which isn't really too far.

They did a trip up north somewhere a few years back and I reckon they just about caught more fish on that trip than I've caught in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsYq4_nlgro

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

They did a trip up north somewhere a few years back and I reckon they just about caught more fish on that trip than I've caught in my life.

hahah always know it's going to be a good video when it starts with the Bush Chooks.

Can't tell exactly where they are but my guess is somewhere around Shark Bay, it's about 800kms north of Perth. Not a lot of people there but pretty easy to get to and shitloads of fish.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-25.9251558,113.3850411,103888m/data=!3m1!1e3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'd like to do some fishing this year.

I grew up around Venice, LA in the literal sportsmans paradise so fishing there was like using cheat codes. Just walking from one levee to the other I could catch largemouth bass and crappie, then walk a half mile and catch redfish, speckled trout and bluecrab. Anyway, despite fishing my entire childhood I didn't really learn to fish well because I just stuck to the same area and it was super plentiful.

My wife and I recently bought a house in a rural part of Rhode Island and I now have this in my backyard.

That's the Beaver River. It empties out from a pond about 8 miles up river and about 3 miles downstream it hits the Pawcatuck river and into the Atlantic. It runs clear and on my property it's nominally about 4-6 feet deep and under full sun I can easily see the bottom across most of the area. Current is swift but not so much as to be noisy or especially turbulent.

State DEM stocks the river itself as well as the pond with rainbow, brown and brook trout. They also last year were stocking with tiger trout (brown-brook hybrids). From a co-worker I am also told that the river is thick with freshwater eel.

My wife and I have some decent saltwater rigs as the last place we lived was on the atlantic and we were mostly catching stripers etc. Way overkill for the river now. My wife knows how to fly fish but I never have.

I guess what I am kinda looking for is some general advice for fishing this sort of area / ecology. I'm gonna live here hopefully permanently, and it would be nice to go get some trout or eels to smoke and eat now and then. Any good starting material for this kind of fishing someone can point me at? Also, do I necessary have to even fly fish here or could this be more of a cane pole and bobber type of situation as well? The state forbids trout fishing for the month of March until the 2nd Saturday in April and things get stocked in advance of the April start. Is it even worth trying to fish now through February or is that going to just be cold and boring with low chances of success?