Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Youth Decay posted:

Houses of the future from 60s Motorola ads, by Charles Schridde. All shall worship the TV/record player god.

And one for Prada Slut.

They’re all so dreamy :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Goddamn I just got hit by a slug of nostalgia for old sci-fi / fantasy novel cover art. The topics are completely different but the style is so familiar, and those ones with the full-glass walls remind me a lot of old drawings of spaceships.

Thanks for sharing!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Ah, the No Armrests Whatsoever era.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Heels x cigarettes x shag carpet x B&W clowns

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Armrests encourage slouching and bad posture, which, as you can see, is no longer a problem in the future!

cakesmith handyman posted:

I used to hate those ceilings but I imagine them with modern smart led light fixtures, controllable brightness, colour temperature etc and I could go for them now.

Oh hell yes, someone please make this a Thing. :allears: I was promised sci-fi ceilings and ceiling-to-floor windows, actually living in the 21st century really sucks.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I have a real love/hate relationship with my slipper chairs.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Youth Decay posted:

Houses of the future from 60s Motorola ads, by Charles Schridde. All shall worship the TV/record player god.

I wonder if they had to cut through the joists to make that sunken sitting area...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

barbecue at the folks posted:

Armrests encourage slouching and bad posture, which, as you can see, is no longer a problem in the future!

Oh hell yes, someone please make this a Thing. :allears: I was promised sci-fi ceilings and ceiling-to-floor windows, actually living in the 21st century really sucks.

Living in an MCM house rocks. It’s like waking up in a space station every morning.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

I used to hate those ceilings but I imagine them with modern smart led light fixtures, controllable brightness, colour temperature etc and I could go for them now. Also note the sideboard in a decidedly older style, but it still works, this is a good picture. Got any more?

The new hockey arena in Detroit has this, and I love it.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I made a Twitter account specifically to follow https://twitter.com/scarytoilet

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Bloop posted:

Totally clear countertops are important because _____________________

I prefer them, outside of major appliances, but then given a choice my kitchen aesthetic is 'literally a bakery' and I would run everything with stainless or butcher block counter, a wall full of knives, and pans hanging from the ceiling.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I interpreted that as clear like transparent, and was reminded of my frustration with my husband's black glass tv stand from the early 2000s that shows sooooo much dust. I'm going to replace it someday... maybe in 20 more years...

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

RoboRodent posted:

Minimalism is literally either "I have no money to pay for more space and more toys" or it's bougie affectation. Which is fine. I mean, I'll accept bougie affectation over "this is my mansion with its three swimming pools of caviar" any day. But seriously, either you live like that because you have to, or because you want to, not because it's the morally correct way to live.

Source: I live in a 300 square feet studio apartment. Because I have to.

not really, you just don't buy excess poo poo no matter where you're at. I lived in a 170 square foot place some years ago and worked it out. also, because you can fit only so much in there, it forces you to more carefully consider what you're buying instead of just buying boring garbage to fill empty space. you're buying into the idea companies sell you on in that 'minimalism' is this thing you need an expensive condo and special furniture to have, just like 'yoga' is this thing you need an expensive studio and special pants to do, which completely misses the idea behind it

and I think I see the issue with this thread and the idea of 'minimalism'. see, for a lot of people it is a moral or philosophical idea and the result of that in the realm of interior decor is just 'don't have excess poo poo'

throwing poo poo away or clearing your countertop doesn't 'make' you a minimalist any more than buying a statue of buddha makes you a buddhist, but throwing poo poo away and clearing your countertops is the result a philosophy of minimalism (among other things). it's like how some people are vegans as the result of a philosophy of nonviolence to animals (and also won't wear leather or the like, because it's broader than that), whereas for some people it's just some fashionable dietary thing at the moment. and goons here seem to assume that 'minimalism' is entirely the latter

the problem is that all people see of 'minimalism' is like.. pictures of peoples dwellings, because that's the only thing you can photograph. just like pictures of veganism are just pictures of food, and inevitably, the only pictures that make the rounds are ones that ~look nice~, so naturally, everyone assumes that minimalists are a bunch of rich single instagram 20-somethings with decorative watermelons, while completely missing the reason behind it. I guess you can't really photograph 'happiness and serenity to reduced consumption and material excess'

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

there wolf posted:

Prada literally calls people's lazy for not putting items away after they've already said they have no interest in doing that. This is the rear end you've decided to crawl up because, like with most fanatics, you think all we need is to here the gospel from you to really understand it this time.

I suppose if your home philosophy is 'I don't give a poo poo if I leave everything out my house my rules', but I assume most people aren't adopting that as a deliberate decorative decision.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

I suppose if your home philosophy is 'I don't give a poo poo if I leave everything out my house my rules', but I assume most people aren't adopting that as a deliberate decorative decision.

Your assumptions are whatever lets you condescend to people about having too much stuff. Utilitarianism is also an atheistic, and maybe when someone says that they hate staged rooms because they don't show function-first items like appliances and clothes hampers, you could take their word that they like having that stuff in easy reach instead of going off on how they totally could have a magazine-worthy home if they just cleaned more and stopped being so lazy.

Edited for content. Some kind of industrial cocktail production kitchen?

there wolf fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 24, 2019

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I'm enjoying this lovely arguement about how people have different preferences. Lets see if we can get to 4 pages.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PRADA SLUT posted:

so naturally, everyone assumes that minimalists are a bunch of rich single instagram 20-somethings with decorative watermelons, while completely missing the reason behind it. I guess you can't really photograph 'happiness and serenity to reduced consumption and material excess'

Actually the watermelons symbolize serenity. Duh.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

PRADA SLUT posted:

not really, you just don't buy excess poo poo no matter where you're at. I lived in a 170 square foot place some years ago and worked it out. also, because you can fit only so much in there, it forces you to more carefully consider what you're buying instead of just buying boring garbage to fill empty space. you're buying into the idea companies sell you on in that 'minimalism' is this thing you need an expensive condo and special furniture to have, just like 'yoga' is this thing you need an expensive studio and special pants to do, which completely misses the idea behind it

and I think I see the issue with this thread and the idea of 'minimalism'. see, for a lot of people it is a moral or philosophical idea and the result of that in the realm of interior decor is just 'don't have excess poo poo'

throwing poo poo away or clearing your countertop doesn't 'make' you a minimalist any more than buying a statue of buddha makes you a buddhist, but throwing poo poo away and clearing your countertops is the result a philosophy of minimalism (among other things). it's like how some people are vegans as the result of a philosophy of nonviolence to animals (and also won't wear leather or the like, because it's broader than that), whereas for some people it's just some fashionable dietary thing at the moment. and goons here seem to assume that 'minimalism' is entirely the latter

the problem is that all people see of 'minimalism' is like.. pictures of peoples dwellings, because that's the only thing you can photograph. just like pictures of veganism are just pictures of food, and inevitably, the only pictures that make the rounds are ones that ~look nice~, so naturally, everyone assumes that minimalists are a bunch of rich single instagram 20-somethings with decorative watermelons, while completely missing the reason behind it. I guess you can't really photograph 'happiness and serenity to reduced consumption and material excess'

As someone who grew up with hoarder parents I made it my mission to make sure the place I lived was kept neat and clean. It makes me feel better when things are out of sight and put away (including the multitude of kitchen appliances I own that are easily removed from their cupboards). I own a lot of poo poo which probably doesn't really qualify me as being a "minimalist", but I do a great job of finding storage for things and leaving the general clutter to an absolute minimum. The spaces I occupy myself tend to be very organized and clean, but still functional. I don't know why people hate your philosophy so much, perhaps the same reason people hate my bathroom designs so much. We are a very opinionated bunch, but I, for one, could live perfectly fine in a "staged" home.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Minimalist or maximalist, I think we can all agree that this modern industrial farmhouse bullshit is horrible.

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS A loving BARN DOOR?

The rusty shack siding look is in too, apparently

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Probably doesn't need that security system yard sign..

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

PRADA SLUT posted:

You should try applying your minimalist philosophy to your posting in this thread.

Youth Decay posted:

Minimalist or maximalist, I think we can all agree that this modern industrial farmhouse bullshit is horrible.

White ceilings, zero exhaust fans, and two square feet of countertop. Really?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I like how there is one ceiling fan and it's just in the hallway instead of a bedroom, sitting area, or anywhere else people will being hanging out for a while in need of cooling down.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

"MORNING, HONEY!"
*thud thud-thud-thud thud*
"JUST PUNCHING THIS HEAVY BAG A BIT BEFORE WORK"
*thud thud thud thud-thud*

*bag swings over bed*

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Are you sure these aren't behind-the-scenes photos from a West Elm catalog shoot?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Gotta love the framed eye exam picture.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RoboRodent posted:

Gotta love the framed eye exam picture.

I didn’t see that

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Youth Decay posted:

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS A loving BARN DOOR?

The rusty shack siding look is in too, apparently

its so soulless, nobody would live in that, and be able to leave it like that. it has absolutely no personality, it feels like a committee spent several weeks debating the precise shade of grey in the art.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 25, 2019

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

I’ll take “acoustically uncomfortable spaces” for $400, Alex.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

I didn’t see that

Especially the symbols instead of actual letters

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

All the aesthetic and uncomfortable, inconvenient chaos of a poverty shack for the low low price of "exactly as much as a house that doesn't suck"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

there wolf posted:

I like how there is one ceiling fan and it's just in the hallway instead of a bedroom, sitting area, or anywhere else people will being hanging out for a while in need of cooling down.

That people won’t linger under it doesn’t bother me too much. If you use fans well you get better circulation through the whole house and not just where the fans are. You often see them put in stairwells for that reason, and of course there are “whole house” fans.

That fan specifically might be a vestigial spinning turd, I dunno, but it’s not useless just because it’s not in a room.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Also I am extremely here for the beatmstrj/prada slut team-up episode.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

White ceilings, zero exhaust fans, and two square feet of countertop. Really?

The important thing is that they hid the toaster

Edit:
I'm the butcher block with a single knife in it

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 25, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm concerned about the efficiency of that 60 year old fridge :(

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TheMightyHandful posted:

Especially the symbols instead of actual letters

I didn't actually look at the photos, I was just making a vision joke.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Edit:
I'm the butcher block with a single knife in it

A butcher block is a wooden chopping board with upright endgrain, that's a knife block. Looks like the "single knife" is just the longest one in the block, e.g. bread knife.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

A butcher block is a wooden chopping board with upright endgrain, that's a knife block. Looks like the "single knife" is just the longest one in the block, e.g. bread knife.

Eh I know it's not the technically correct term, but it's what everyone called them growing up

:eng101: Regional Differences In Language Use :eng99:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

A butcher block specifically has upright end-grain? Why? (And if it's not upright, is it just a "cutting board"?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Easier on the knives and doesn’t show wear as much. Although the term has grown loose and often enough just refers to any surface made up of a bunch of small chunks of wood.