Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Pokemon go to the polls is a passable grandma joke

The delivery was poo poo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Helsing posted:

No you can't.

There is going to be a freakout when you dramatically change something like healthcare. It's unavoidable. The Republicans have huge parts of the population locked into their own closed media environment and cultural environment and there's literally no way to prevent feverish opposition to any expansion of government in America. Any strategy that claims to have a magical rhetorical or policy solution that somehow will make it non-controversial to redistribute wealth in America is selling a bill of false goods.

The point is to actually win the resulting conflict by entering it on the right terms, not to fool yourself into thinking you can avoid it. And the main way to win is through organizing and movement building, not triangulation.

I'm not advocating raising taxes on the poor, I completely agree the goal should be to redistribute the wealth of the rich. My issue here is that you're crazy if you think that isn't going to be extremely controversial.

You seem to expect that people are actually going to debate these policies rationally and form their opinions based on calculated self interest but in practice a lot of people are going to simply revert to whatever the appropriate attitude for their political tribe is supposed to be. It's more important to focus on building up your ability to turn out your own supporters than it is to strategize about how to assuage the fears of the people who are never ever going to vote for you in large numbers anyway.

Oh its going to be phenomenally controversial and that's why telling someone who makes 25k a year that we are going to increase their federal taxes from 940 dollars to 1500 dollars and a promise provide free health care is going to be a hard sell. Where on the other hand telling someone who makes 25k a year that we are going to cut their federal taxes from 940 dollars to 0 dollars and a promise to provide free health care is going to be an easy sell. The total tax receipts by all people who make less than 30k a year is ~30 billion a year, its a rounding error for the US budget.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

karthun posted:

Raising taxes on the poor via a 2% payroll tax is not cutting taxes on the poor. The income that would be provided by a 2% income tax in people who make less then 30k a year would only raise 17 billion dollars. That is a rounding error for the cost of M4A so why the gently caress are you so insistent on taxing the poor when we could give them money?

First, as I told you yesterday, Bernie's plan doesn't call for the poor to pay the healthcare tax; they're exempted, as they should be.

Second, I don't recall your speaking out against the 7.65 percent payroll taxes for social security and medicare that are levied against workers making as little as $5,000/year.

Third, why is M4A your particular hill to die on when these taxes won't apply to the poor, will be tens of thousands dollars less than what people are already paying toward healthcare costs, and would provide superior healthcare more extensive than anything that exists today?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Could be worth checking out. Going to listen to the podcast

https://twitter.com/slatepodcasts/status/1088199518150107137?s=21

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

karthun posted:

Oh its going to be phenomenally controversial and that's why telling someone who makes 25k a year that we are going to increase their federal taxes from 940 dollars to 1500 dollars and a promise provide free health care is going to be a hard sell.

Bernie's M4A plan would increase taxes on a single person making $25k by $1,000/year.

Show me an ACA plan for that income that doesn't require five to 10 times that in premium & out-of-pocket costs.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

Bernie's M4A plan would increase taxes on a single person making $25k by $1,000/year.

Show me an ACA plan for that income that doesn't require five to 10 times that in premium & out-of-pocket costs.

And that $1,000/year increase will make it a hard sell. Why don't you try a 1k decrease in taxes?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

karthun posted:

And that $1,000/year increase will make it a hard sell. Why don't you try a 1k decrease in taxes?

Because that $1,000 is a steal given what people get vs. insurance premiums and out-of-pocket healthcare costs.

Why are you feeding into the context-free conservative trope of "taxes are bad" even when they aren't, and when they would provide a cost savings for that income level of thousands of dollars per year?

p.s.: Still waiting for that ACA plan that costs less than $1,000/year in premiums + out-of-pocket costs for $25k/year incomes.

eta: Your massive goalpost-moving and inability to answer questions proves you're not arguing in good faith anymore, if you ever were.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 24, 2019

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

Because that $1,000 is a steal given what people get vs. insurance premiums and out-of-pocket healthcare costs.

Why are you feeding into the context-free conservative trope of "taxes are bad" even when they aren't, and when they would provide a cost savings for that income level of thousands of dollars per year?

We are talking about how to get past the panic that will come with massive changes to the healthcare system. Your solution is to increase taxes by 30 billion from the poor. My solution is to increase taxes by 40 billion on the rich and to decrease taxes by 10 billion to the poor. I will 100% say that taxes on the poor are bad and taxes on the rich are good. You want increased taxes on the poor. I want decreased taxes on the poor.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
cool are either of you running for president

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cease to Hope posted:

me, I am

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Buttigieg account spotted.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

Good point, I'm done Willa, you can have the last words.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Willa Rogers posted:

p.s.: Still waiting for that ACA plan that costs less than $1,000/year in premiums + out-of-pocket costs for $25k/year incomes.

eta: Your massive goalpost-moving and inability to answer questions proves you're not arguing in good faith anymore, if you ever were.
At the current levels of inequality any taxes on the bottom 50%, at least, are unjust.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

My final word for now on healthcare, which segues back into the thread topic, is this chart of stats from the Politico/Harvard poll released today:

(I'm kind of amazed that so many voters are clamoring for healthcare reform almost nine years after the Dems passed "healthcare reform.")

A more thread-relevant chart from the same poll:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

karthun posted:

Because a $1k/yr tax is already a massive decrease compared to the health insurance "tax" of several thousand dollars a year that they currently pay to insurance companies.

This throws a lot of people off when discussing healthcare - the taxes and costs replace current healthcare spending.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

karthun posted:

the liberal fetishization of tax credits is the most inexplicable thing, to me

what about the concept of "provide people a service" is so utterly loving alien to democratic politicians and loyalists that the best possible thing they can think to do, for the people they ostensibly represent, is have them contribute less to the government

when did the apex of What Is Achievable become you slitting your own throat in the hopes of your tennis buddy not making cocktails afterwards awkward

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Luckyellow posted:

What do you guys think about Buttigieg?

i'm guessing he sticks it out until iowa, massively under-performs, and then suspends his campaign

the united states just isn't ready for a president named pete butt

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

"BUTT JUDGE!" *click*

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Because a $1k/yr tax is already a massive decrease compared to the health insurance "tax" of several thousand dollars a year that they currently pay to insurance companies.

This throws a lot of people off when discussing healthcare - the taxes and costs replace current healthcare spending.

As soon as you start talking about how technically the working poor will actually be saving money the Republicans will talk about how you are going to increase income taxes by 150% and you lost the bill. Instead you raise taxes on the top 0.5% to 70%, cut taxes on the poor to 0% and have more than enough money to pay for M4A. gently caress I bet you have enough money left over to send everyone a $100 check every Nov 1st as a Medicare for All refund.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

karthun posted:

As soon as you start talking about how technically the working poor will actually be saving money the Republicans will talk about how you are going to increase income taxes by 150% and you lost the bill.

Republicans say that about everything. If you think Republicans saying something will raise your taxes will kill any bill then, gently caress, just give up now.

We can't be afraid of Republican messaging, because Republicans will always attack anything Democrats want, because Republicans are our opponents! Trying to undercut Republican messaging by not doing the stuff you think will make them attack you has never worked and will never work. You can't pre-surrender and expect positive results.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm more wary of Democratic messaging about taxes than I am about Republican messaging about taxes, because the stuff you hear coming from liberals like karthun used to once only come from rightwing assholes.

Besides, this is all loving moot until the financing parts come before the congressional committees under Pres. Sanders. Even Sanders has said his financing proposals aren't set in stone and are likely to change and be changed.

The House initially set ACA's Medicaid expansion at (a woefully inadequate)150 percent of the FPL before the Senate got hold of it and made it the current miserly 132 percent. The House had also exempted social security income from the calculations for subsidies and Medicaid expansion while the Senate thought that granny's early SS income should count toward her royal annual income of $17,000/year.

But having Dems moan THINK OF THE TAXES is a big reason as to why we're locked into our hell cycle of the GOP cutting taxes, Dems restoring them for the ultra-richies-only, then the GOP cutting them again across the board when they're in power.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i like butt

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

fool_of_sound posted:

yea i basically cheered when i saw that

Tonight on Maddow, Kamala Harris addressed Jacob Wohl's birtherism claims during her launch interview.

She has no chance.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

AsInHowe posted:

Tonight on Maddow, Kamala Harris addressed Jacob Wohl's birtherism claims during her launch interview.

She has no chance.

She has no chance against Trump. Unfortunately I think she does have a good chance for the primary. Still way too early to tell though of course.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

She has no chance against Trump. Unfortunately I think she does have a good chance for the primary. Still way too early to tell though of course.

I'm increasingly thinking she's not going to be able to get her feet under her. Someone is going to slaughter her in the deep south on her pro-police record. Maybe Booker, he has a lot to gain for doing so. She pretty clearly doesn't have any idea how to stand up to scrutiny. I'm still worried about her, but less than I was a week ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The thing is about establishment Democrat picks is that the Democrat establishment is so completely incompetent, corrupt and delusional that the institutional advantages may be outweighed by their disadvantages. I think we saw this on the other side with Jeb!, they don't know how to win competitive races without openly cheating anymore.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lol noone here has actually tried to get a bronze plan or had to use one

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Will this Joseph Stalin fellow crank out the guillotines for billionaires?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Republicans say that about everything. If you think Republicans saying something will raise your taxes will kill any bill then, gently caress, just give up now.

We can't be afraid of Republican messaging, because Republicans will always attack anything Democrats want, because Republicans are our opponents! Trying to undercut Republican messaging by not doing the stuff you think will make them attack you has never worked and will never work. You can't pre-surrender and expect positive results.
Counterpoint: taxing the poor is stupid and wrong, and we shouldn't do it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm more wary of Democratic messaging about taxes than I am about Republican messaging about taxes, because the stuff you hear coming from liberals like karthun used to once only come from rightwing assholes.

Yeah, it's funny how, now that they've convinced mainstream Dems that budgets and deficits and taxes are the third rail of politics, Republicans don't seem to give nearly as much of a poo poo about them anymore. Amazing how that works - it's almost as if their concern for paying for projects was never genuine to begin with.:thunk:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Grognan posted:

lol noone here has actually tried to get a bronze plan or had to use one

I looked into it once

They're poo poo

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Gripweed posted:

How about, and get this, we cut taxes on the poor while raising them on the rich AND provide M4A? Sanders is trying to squeeze 31 billion dollars out of the working poor, why don't we shift that 31 billion to the idle rich instead?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
not a tankie but i voted stalin. he killed a lot of nazis

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
Joe Biden is not a pedophile, he is an ephebophile;

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I gotta admit, I didn't expect Kamala's messaging to be this bad. After all, what Dem doesn't want a president who's going to make sure our heroic attack helicopter pilots have plenty of work to do?

Trump's poo poo about pushing out transgender soldiers is awful, but that's the take she landed on? Not something about equality or discrimination, but about how we need to make sure our attack helicopter pilots keep their jobs?

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1088200203839160320

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

I gotta admit, I didn't expect Kamala's messaging to be this bad. After all, what Dem doesn't want a president who's going to make sure our heroic attack helicopter pilots have plenty of work to do?

Trump's poo poo about pushing out transgender soldiers is awful, but that's the take she landed on? Not something about equality or discrimination, but about how we need to make sure our attack helicopter pilots keep their jobs?

Firing people who are 1 year away from the pension is a huge loving dick move.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

karthun posted:

Firing people who are 1 year away from the pension is a huge loving dick move.

Only kind of huge dick trump has

Freedonkeys
Jan 7, 2010
Harris pretending to be any kind of trans ally after opposing trans inmates receiving court ordered surgeries is pretty low.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

The left, hilariously, manages to have the more unified and relatable message.

"Our massive, imperial, military is immoral, but it's also immoral to use that body to float trial balloons to discriminate against people"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

karthun posted:

How about, and get this, we cut taxes on the poor while raising them on the rich AND provide M4A? Sanders is trying to squeeze 31 billion dollars out of the working poor, why don't we shift that 31 billion to the idle rich instead?

Okay but also how is this relevant.

Is Kamala Harris or Beto O'Rourke criticizing Medicare For All for not being left enough?