Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Nth Doctor posted:

The rare berry mystery gift event has started for Gen VII games.
https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/get-rare-berries/

Thanks for the heads up on this! I had completely forgotten about it!

Got my berries and, holy poo poo! It gives you 12 of each! :aaa: I was expecting just one! Time to play a poo poo load!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
those berries don't seem particularly great, am I missing something because I don't do link battles with any real seriousness

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
What's the deal with the berries?

And what (or who?) is monpoke?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/GAMEFREAK_info/status/1083286573574225920

We're 12 hours out from a video featuring the artists from Gamefreak.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Chill Penguin posted:

And what (or who?) is monpoke?

I think you've cracked this case wide open

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I watched the I Choose You movie because Let's Go has got me on a big pokemon kick and now I need to know if all humans in this show are Ghost types on the downlow or is it just Ash?.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Caidin posted:

I watched the I Choose You movie because Let's Go has got me on a big pokemon kick and now I need to know if all humans in this show are Ghost types on the downlow or is it just Ash?.

You got it backwards
uncomfortably many ghost types were once humans

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

You got it backwards
uncomfortably many ghost types were once humans

Yeah but like, He vanished into light then just walked back from the afterlife, no harm no foul. Like not even as a Haunter or something, Dude has clearly been a ghost this whole time.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Caidin posted:

Yeah but like, He vanished into light then just walked back from the afterlife, no harm no foul. Like not even as a Haunter or something, Dude has clearly been a ghost this whole time.

He got back with help from Ho-Oh and Pikachu - he's literally Sacred Ash

He also showed off how stupidly durable pokeworld humans are, because it took two rounds of attacks from the possessed pokemon to actually obliterate him

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Man there was nothing like being in the theatre and not knowing the now viral twist and suddenly Pikachu speaks. The whole theater gasped in shock.

I'm of the personal opinion that moment loving ruled and you'd have to be a soulless monster to laugh at it

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

He got back with help from Ho-Oh and Pikachu - he's literally Sacred Ash

He also showed off how stupidly durable pokeworld humans are, because it took two rounds of attacks from the possessed pokemon to actually obliterate him

I guess another feather poofed in right after that and Marshadow skedaddled so yeah in retrospect that was likely Big Bird. That said the most absurd thing I've seen a poke human take is still probably Giovonni brushing off Mewtwo's Rocket HQ demolishing explosion despite being directly in front of him at the time.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Man there was nothing like being in the theatre and not knowing the now viral twist and suddenly Pikachu speaks. The whole theater gasped in shock.

I'm of the personal opinion that moment loving ruled and you'd have to be a soulless monster to laugh at it

See I didn't know about that and found it genuinely jaw dropping, though I'm assuming it was more Ash has a perfect understanding of Pikachu then him actually speaking English. I think my primary gripe about the movie is that Verity and Sorrel seemed unnecessary and if you cut them out they may have found room to fit in Bulbasaur or Squirtle.

I liked that Charmander didn't turn into a dick after he evolved. :unsmith:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

the video of the theater's reaction of this on youtube is hilarious and I'll never not laugh at it

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Oh that's cute. You do a little pirouette when you spin enough in Ultra Sun.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

OhFunny posted:

Oh that's cute. You do a little pirouette when you spin enough in Ultra Sun.

If you tap the B button enough in succession you'll stumble too!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Got my hands on Super Mystery Dungeon at last, and it's gloriously unfair and I love it

The three-hour, five-chapter long tutorial was also quite something, but at least its intro and pick-your-player is far more streamlined

It's the fact the moves have to be leveled up to boost their power and accuracy that really drags the game to a halt - kinda hard to level up something that never hits, and of course the enemies don't have that problem and can three-shot you with no effort as early as the second dungeon

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vinylshadow posted:

It's the fact the moves have to be leveled up to boost their power and accuracy that really drags the game to a halt - kinda hard to level up something that never hits, and of course the enemies don't have that problem and can three-shot you with no effort as early as the second dungeon

The sooner you break out of the mindset that your moves are the one thing you have, the sooner you'll have fun with the game. It's true moves kind of suck at first, but you have far more options. Wands and Orbs are extremely powerful, carrying the right Wands makes a gigantic difference. Also, your moves will naturally get better, so you won't need to grind them or anything, it's just a bit of a pain at first.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Pokemon is a game of knowing your win condition and meeting it. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-850371303

The best part is that Dunsparce knew Roost.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 18, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

The sooner you break out of the mindset that your moves are the one thing you have, the sooner you'll have fun with the game. It's true moves kind of suck at first, but you have far more options. Wands and Orbs are extremely powerful, carrying the right Wands makes a gigantic difference. Also, your moves will naturally get better, so you won't need to grind them or anything, it's just a bit of a pain at first.

Yep, the fight against the bees made that painfully obvious

"Remember the past three games when you could get by without using items? Yeah, no. Not this time. We made 'em, and you are going to use them."

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHIlU12gTDM

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I've been doing a dotting exercise tonight by taking stock art and doing it in the style of Yellow's sprites. Some have turned out well, but others are...grotesque.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Golden Gael posted:

I've been doing a dotting exercise tonight by taking stock art and doing it in the style of Yellow's sprites. Some have turned out well, but others are...grotesque.

Pokemon yellow had the best sprites

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Golden Gael posted:

That meowth reminds me of a pirate for some reason. Like, it needs an eyepatch and a pirate hat and it would be truly magical.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

the_steve posted:

That meowth reminds me of a pirate for some reason. Like, it needs an eyepatch and a pirate hat and it would be truly magical.

It would have a Chatot on its shoulder with zero explanation and it wouldn't be until Gen IV that it became its own pokemon

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

When I was a kid my mom got me a set of Japanese Pokemon cards from the then-unreleased Neo Genesis series. I couldn't figure out why the hell Mantine (which I wasn't familiar with) had a blue Magikarp attached to it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Are there any hints of an upgraded re-release of Generation 4, in the FireRed / HeartGold / OmegaRuby tradition? Or have I missed one that already happened?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

SuperKlaus posted:

Are there any hints of an upgraded re-release of Generation 4, in the FireRed / HeartGold / OmegaRuby tradition? Or have I missed one that already happened?

The newest game-released news is releasing a patch for LGPE, but aside from that, absolutely nothing. We're still in the Gen 7 era and there's only the faintest of hints that its winding down.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zuzie posted:

The newest game-released news is releasing a patch for LGPE, but aside from that, absolutely nothing. We're still in the Gen 7 era and there's only the faintest of hints that its winding down.

Gen 8 is still supposed to be released later this year iirc though we have no info on it besides the fact it won't have Go style catching

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

This morning I finally recompleted my main series living pokedex with my capture of Stakataka in Ultra Moon. My 8yo and I had been having an informal race through the game. Her extra free time to play was offset by me breeding and hatching a team of Gods. She got to Po Town just a day after me, but I plowed through everything from there to the Elite Four with little stopping.

I'm good for the moment on my living dex between the main series and the Go series with the exception of Melmetal. I finally finished the Meltan quest yesterday and have LGE so Melmetal will happen eventually.

Feels good to be done again.

Jithendra
May 23, 2009
Yo goons, I got a spare Zeraora code I was holding for someone who never ended up claiming it. It expires tomorrow (the 24th) so someone take it before it's gone!

A892-KQQ4-3DGT-R9DD

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jithendra posted:

Yo goons, I got a spare Zeraora code I was holding for someone who never ended up claiming it. It expires tomorrow (the 24th) so someone take it before it's gone!

A892-KQQ4-3DGT-R9DD

Nabbed.

What's a good nature for my new cat goblin.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nabbed.

What's a good nature for my new cat goblin.

Jolly or Adamant since it has a better physical attack and a wider physical movepool.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Gen 8 is still supposed to be released later this year iirc though we have no info on it besides the fact it won't have Go style catching

Yes they gave a 2019 date for Generation 8 last year when announcing Let's Go, but that's it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dehry posted:

Yes they gave a 2019 date for Generation 8 last year when announcing Let's Go, but that's it.

Honestly, I think that was to keep fans who weren't interested in Let's Go from worrying too much.

And by "fans who weren't interested" I mean "fans who were freaking out that Let's Go was the future of the franchise and Pokemon was ruined forever," because there were a lot of people feeling that way at that point. So Nintendo threw them a bone.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Solumin posted:

Honestly, I think that was to keep fans who weren't interested in Let's Go from worrying too much.

And by "fans who weren't interested" I mean "fans who were freaking out that Let's Go was the future of the franchise and Pokemon was ruined forever," because there were a lot of people feeling that way at that point. So Nintendo threw them a bone.

In retrospect, that was a pretty dumb reaction. Not because Go would be a good future, but because it implies Game Freak can actually keep a changed or new mechanic between generations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Ah poo poo I forgot to get Zeroara because I've been so caught up in the wonderful grind that is Pokemon Platinum.

As an aside, after learning the dark secret history of the Bulbapedia forums I don't think I can use the proper website anymore. The webmaster is a creepo.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm not gonna deprive myself of a useful, valuable resource just because the guy who owns it is a prick.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Golden Gael posted:

Ah poo poo I forgot to get Zeroara because I've been so caught up in the wonderful grind that is Pokemon Platinum.

As an aside, after learning the dark secret history of the Bulbapedia forums I don't think I can use the proper website anymore. The webmaster is a creepo.
details

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

He was actually a Zoroark masquerading as a webmaster the entire time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Solumin posted:

That was definitely the case. Same with how Nintendo went "also there's a new console called NX being made" when they announced they'd release mobile games.

We're probably within two months of a Gen 8 reveal. It's gonna be nuts. Or super tame. Then by September we'll have known everything we could want to know and they'll keep revealing more and more pokemon anyway.