Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think the premiere had some pretty good cinematography too. Overall, this season looked better I generally expect Doctor Who to look, although I didn't like the design for Tim Shaw or for the planet he got stuck on. Tim Shaw looked like a horror bad guy cooked up by a grade schooler after watching Nickelodeon and Creepshow back-to-back, and the technology on Tim's forever-prison planet looked like it was built with whatever they could buy at a Spencer's Gifts. I also thought the CG Nibbler alien was a little too silly-looking. The sets and costumes were all really good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Also, in the Battle of Raskor Av Kolos, where was the battle? The title promised a battle!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Also, in the Battle of Raskor Av Kolos, where was the battle? The title promised a battle!

Well, Sylvester McCoy showed up on set and yelled something that made them reconsider.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Tim Shaw thing bugged me and I couldn't put my finger on why, and today it dawned on me that calling somebody by the wrong name is what extremely lovely people do to trans people and maybe teaching children it's okay to do if it's somebody you hate isn't the best.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Burkion posted:

For that long though?

Filming on Who doesn't take TOO long, you'd think they'd be able to start airing the new season late this year.

If filming started some time in the summer, I could see it. It's still January.

Is there a particular reason they're pushing off airing it all until next year?

Season 11 started filming at the end of October 2017 and went until August 2018, with the first episodes at the start of October 2018.

I guess they don't want to start the season right before Christmas.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Tzim-Sha could've been a better villain if he hadn't had his name been made fun of as soon it was said. I mean, talk about cutting a character's legs off. When the helmet came off and it turned out he was a toothface, that was the moment that could've made the character. Instead, we got to laugh at a clown. Now, if he never showed up again, that would've been OK - just a random one-off to introduce a new Doctor. Instead, Chibnall brings him back as the series finale villain, who plots to destroy Earth! THE CHARACTER HE ALREADY ASSASSINATED NINE WEEKS EARLIER IN HIS ONLY PRIOR APPEARANCE.

Imagine, if you will, this scene played out in Terror of the Autons:

quote:

Rossini: Who the heck are you? Well?
The Master: I am usually referred to as The Master!
Rossini: Oh? Is that so, Big Nose?
The Master: Univers-wait, what?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

I think the premiere had some pretty good cinematography too.

:agreed:

Like in the first 5 minutes I was like "oh poo poo, this looks like a movie!"

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

LividLiquid posted:

The Tim Shaw thing bugged me and I couldn't put my finger on why, and today it dawned on me that calling somebody by the wrong name is what extremely lovely people do to trans people and maybe teaching children it's okay to do if it's somebody you hate isn't the best.

Nobody's made a big thing about it, and there a more than a few trans DW fans I know who weren't bothered by it so I didn't say anything, but it did kind of rub me the wrong way, too. It's more akin to mispronouncing a difficult name, but the characters seemed to take quite a lot of glee from it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I certainly read that scene as intended to undercut the guy for being a self-important rear end in a top hat (which is why, as noted, he would have been better used as a one-off instead of returning in the finale), but I'm also not trans and don't have any experience with people using tactics like that on me in real life so who am I to say that it's not something that would bring up some bad associations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's like calling Trump fat.

Sure, it's true, but it signals to your fat friends that you'd throw them under the bus.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I am trans, and it isn't really the same. When someone deadnames a trans person they're using a very specific name from their past that could cause stress and emotional pain, just misnaming a trans person is kinda nothing. Someone deadnaming me actually hurts, but if someone just decided to call me 'Alex' it's mostly just confusing.

I've written characters that deliberately get an overly grand character's name wrong, though. And just my personal preference, I don't like Tim Shaw because it's too short a road to your destination. It's way more fun if you take a bit of a journey to get there, or go entirely off the rails and go 'gently caress it, I'ma call you Gary'.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I am also trans, and it bothered me.

Checkmate!

Seriously, though, it's not that big a deal. It just bothered me a little.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Man what other names did Chibnall come up with because between TzimSha and Ranskoor Av Kolos he's 0 for 2

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

It struck me more as going "Your name is too hard to pronounce, Foreign Person." It's a lovely thing to do.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Maera Sior posted:

It struck me more as going "Your name is too hard to pronounce, Foreign Person." It's a lovely thing to do.

Yeah, this is mostly what it came off as to me, which isn't cool but to me is more just lazy than offensive.

The joke here is that they're undercutting his grandiosity by giving him a mundane name. That's a good joke, that can work, but it's the wrong punchline. You need to actually make fun of his big-talking bullshit, the things he clearly gave himself, rather than his actual name (think the Valeyard). Or, you make his name genuinely really long and unwieldy, and possibly self-chosen, and working around that is the joke (like the Slitheen planet, but I'm phoneposting so no way in hell am I trying to spell it).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For next season I DEMAND at least FOUR straight historicals and SEVEN episodes MUST contain QUARRY SCENES

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this is mostly what it came off as to me, which isn't cool but to me is more just lazy than offensive.

The joke here is that they're undercutting his grandiosity by giving him a mundane name. That's a good joke, that can work, but it's the wrong punchline. You need to actually make fun of his big-talking bullshit, the things he clearly gave himself, rather than his actual name (think the Valeyard). Or, you make his name genuinely really long and unwieldy, and possibly self-chosen, and working around that is the joke (like the Slitheen planet, but I'm phoneposting so no way in hell am I trying to spell it).

Raxicoricofallipitorius

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

I'm going to Cardiff in March, I wonder if it might be possible they'd be around there somewhere then?

Edit: Also if you know of some cool Who stuff to see there, please let me know! The Experience is closed for good, right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DoctorWhat posted:

Raxicoricofallipitorius

Clom.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

CommonShore posted:

For next season I DEMAND at least FOUR straight historicals and SEVEN episodes MUST contain QUARRY SCENES

Unironically :agreed:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Forktoss posted:

I'm going to Cardiff in March, I wonder if it might be possible they'd be around there somewhere then?

Edit: Also if you know of some cool Who stuff to see there, please let me know! The Experience is closed for good, right?

It is, sadly, yes. There is talk of opening something similar in association with Cardiff Castle, but nothing is even vaguely confirmed yet.

The bay has Torchwood Tower, the Ianto shrine (which is weirdly still there), and there's Eddie's Diner, which is used as Clara/Me's TARDIS, the diner 11 met Rory and Amy in, etc. There's two little restaurants/cafes out on piers, and one of them was featured in Boomtown, but I can't remember which. Plus the bay is probably the nicest looking bit of Cardiff.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

DoctorWhat posted:

Raxicoricofallipitorius

They're swine. I spit on them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

the Ianto shrine (which is weirdly still there)

There's a pretty good behind the scenes thing on one of the Big Finishes where Tom Price and Scott Handcock make their own shrine to PC Andy. Made me laugh.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Astroman posted:

IO9 has a nice write up on Big Finish for newbies in The Year of No TV Who:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/there-has-never-been-a-better-time-to-start-listening-t-1831936544

And in the comments, the hottest of hot takes:

I can't even tell what's real and what's parody anymore. :allears:

Post history = this post only. (The io9 comment, not Astroman, obviously.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh good lord, somehow I completely missed that the actor who played Jo Grant's grandson in SJA is Finn Jones, aka Loras Tyrell aka Iron Fist. Both his SJA appearance and GoT were both filmed in 2010, and he looks completely different to me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/RichardsonBF/status/1088482277082976256

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Raxicoricofallipitorius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VsmF9m_Nt8

LividLiquid posted:

I legitimately never thought of this and it is really fascinating. It's a common comedy trope but Tim Shaw bit doesn't work and now I'm understanding why.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

What about the Doctor stealing Davros' chariot? That's akin to stealing a person's wheelchair and mocking them.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
You're right, that scene was utterly disgusting and easily one of the lowest points of the Moffat era. Especially with a framing narrative that's supposed to make Davros more sympathetic!

Davros1 posted:

What about the Doctor stealing Davros' chariot? That's literally stealing a person's wheelchair and mocking them.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Davros1 posted:

What about the Doctor stealing Davros' chariot? That's akin to stealing a person's wheelchair and mocking them.
You're joking, probably, but uh... yeah?

I don't know if you know anybody who's wheelchair-bound, but an acquaintance of mine is, and the stories he has about abled people being generally lovely are jaw-dropping.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

God yeah, the last time I did a whole series rewatch, I think that (and the recon of The Space Pirates) were the only times I had to struggle to actually get through to the end of the story. The sound gave me a minor headache too, I felt slightly nauseous watching it.

Yup, finally made it through the Web Planet. Took me about as long to get through that one serial as it did to get through every previous Hartnell.

I kind of want to like it for being so, uh, ambitious, but it really doesn’t work.

I’m pretty sure it’s the worst intact Hartnell. Gunfighters is awful but it’s at least awful in a funny way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

marktheando posted:

Yup, finally made it through the Web Planet. Took me about as long to get through that one serial as it did to get through every previous Hartnell.

I kind of want to like it for being so, uh, ambitious, but it really doesn’t work.

I’m pretty sure it’s the worst intact Hartnell. Gunfighters is awful but it’s at least awful in a funny way.

I like Web Planet a lot, but I can understand how smearing goo on the camera lens and having a bunch of actors do interpretative dance along with every line to indicate they're bees might not be for everyone.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
They're butterflies :ssh:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

LividLiquid posted:

You're joking, probably, but uh... yeah?

I don't know if you know anybody who's wheelchair-bound, but an acquaintance of mine is, and the stories he has about abled people being generally lovely are jaw-dropping.

Yeah, Davros is a great villain, but he does belong to the tradition of physical abnormality being treated as monsterous.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Rewatching this video makes me think Adriano Celentano would've been an excellent choice for an Italian knockoff version of DW.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Finally catching up on this show.

The ending of series 10 is pretty sobering. The Doctor failed Bill utterly because of his endless quest to redeem the Master, consigning her to years of misery and alienation that ended in her death. I feel like the show kind of skates past this - he just looks a bit contrite for a few moments here and there, then regenerates and gets a clean slate.

I mean, yeah, Bill got to become a water entity, but the Doctor had nothing to do with that and wasn't even there to witness it. All he did was let her get tortured, turned into a horrifying cyborg, and killed. Pretty grim!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Android Blues posted:

Finally catching up on this show.

The ending of series 10 is pretty sobering. The Doctor failed Bill utterly because of his endless quest to redeem the Master, consigning her to years of misery and alienation that ended in her death. I feel like the show kind of skates past this - he just looks a bit contrite for a few moments here and there, then regenerates and gets a clean slate.

I mean, yeah, Bill got to become a water entity, but the Doctor had nothing to do with that and wasn't even there to witness it. All he did was let her get tortured, turned into a horrifying cyborg, and killed. Pretty grim!

His regeneration is basically him committing suicide, and he would have probably succeeded if Chibnall hadn't asked Moffat to start him off on a full season instead of a Christmas special.

As unnecessary as Series 10 was, I really like how willing to sacrifice himself Capaldi is post losing Clara. It's absolutely him dealing with depression in an unhealthy way, but it feels really true to the character being completely reckless in helping people.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I do wish The Doctor Falls had dwelt on Bill a bit more. She doesn't even do anything in the big final fight! I've got a fantasy version of the episode in my head where she reverses the Cyberman conversion and instead of her turning into a Cyberman she turns all the Cybermen into mental clones of her, like in the Terry Pratchett novel Carpe Jugulum, where Granny Weatherwax gets bitten by vampires and turns them into her. Tbh Bill doing anything while the Doctor is running around blowing Cybermen up would be nice though. It probably would have had that if Moffat had planned to make the Christmas special his last episode from the start; as it is The Doctor Falls tries to be a definitive statement on the twelfth Doctor and the Moffat era as a whole, which ends up shortchanging the characters who aren't yhe Doctor and leaves the actual final episode kind of spinning its wheels. Oops!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, Davros is a great villain, but he does belong to the tradition of physical abnormality being treated as monsterous.

I recall that on the DVD commentary for Vengeance on Varos the actor who played Sil talked about this (in general terms, not specifically calling out Davros) a fair bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1088833577469558791