Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
See, the problem there is the "and". You gotta pick one or the other with the Scoundrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Music Note + Cthulu is insane. Eclipse + Triforce is insane. You'll be fine if you recognize how.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

KingKapalone posted:

Music Note + Cthulu is insane. Eclipse + Triforce is insane. You'll be fine if you recognize how.

We just started cranking our eclipse + triforce + lightning + angryface group to +2 and it was still pretty easy. It was nice to get $5 coins.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Question about the Cthulhu face we finished the last thing. With “don’t retire as normal” do we still get a prosperity point?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pardot posted:

Question about the Cthulhu face we finished the last thing. With “don’t retire as normal” do we still get a prosperity point?

You'll need to elaborate a little more what you mean here because it's really not clear.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

The exact wording is "Immediately retire the Seeker of Xorn. Add City and Road Events 59 to the decks instead of the normal retirement events for the class." What I'm not sure is if adding 1 prosperity counts as a "normal retirement event" and therefore doesn't happen this time?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The normal retirement events are the ones that you would add for the class to the city and road decks. All the other stuff triggered by retirement proceeds as normal, all it changes is the numbers on the cards you put in the deck. And I now realise we may have missed that when we did that PQ lol, I'm rpetty sure we missed that instruction.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Ah okay that makes sense. Thanks :buddy:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Gloomhaven is on sale for $114 on Amazon

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Hit level 9 for the first time a few scenarios ago with my current character and now I'm just kinda over it and want to retire as soon as possible. Getting to level 9 feels like an achievement but it has sapped my enthusiasm. It's interesting for a few scenarios to play out my finalized build, but that's it. The character feels done.

Now I'm wishing Gloomhaven had a more open ended character progression. XP is a resource to buy new cards, trade in cards, enhancements, perks, etc. So there would always new development goals to work towards.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cocks Cable posted:

Hit level 9 for the first time a few scenarios ago with my current character and now I'm just kinda over it and want to retire as soon as possible. Getting to level 9 feels like an achievement but it has sapped my enthusiasm. It's interesting for a few scenarios to play out my finalized build, but that's it. The character feels done.

Now I'm wishing Gloomhaven had a more open ended character progression. XP is a resource to buy new cards, trade in cards, enhancements, perks, etc. So there would always new development goals to work towards.

Yeah, we're about 3/4ths of the way through the game at this point, at Prosperity 6, and the downside is that characters don't take long to hit max level and we're starting to feel "done" with characters not too long after they're made.

We're thinking we may shift back to our "original starting four" (brute, mindthief, spellweaver, tinkerer) to close out the game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
We're definitely going to play our starting classes again since our prosperity is now above the level they were when they retired.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, we're about 3/4ths of the way through the game at this point, at Prosperity 6, and the downside is that characters don't take long to hit max level and we're starting to feel "done" with characters not too long after they're made.

Starting on a lower level and then house ruling in some options to handle what happens with perks and money is one option.

One option I saw was to start at level 1 (but bank XP earnt), and then level up after each scenario (also getting 15G at the same time). Then when you hit prosperity you'd get the banked XP.

You'd still be more powerful at the start because of retirement perks but you'd cap out slower and you'd ease your way into the class a bit.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
TTS question: Does anyone know how to increase the max HP on the standees? I cannot for the life of me figure this out and it's annoying.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Elephant Ambush posted:

TTS question: Does anyone know how to increase the max HP on the standees? I cannot for the life of me figure this out and it's annoying.

I don't think hp on standees is a standard feature in tts, so it has to have been scripted in. I presume it's just pulling the values from somewhere and that data is hidden to the user unless you dive into the script for that mod. You may actually have more luck asking in the module's steam workshop comments!

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005
We're at prosperity 6 and for new characters we do the following:
-Start at level 3
-No bonus perks from previously retired characeters
-No extra gold beyond what you'd get at level 3.

And that's it!

Before we switched to that we felt like our characters were missing having to make difficult decisions since we had loads of perks from previous retirements and loads of gold. It works for us pretty well.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Woodstock posted:

We're at prosperity 6 and for new characters we do the following:
-Start at level 3
-No bonus perks from previously retired characeters
-No extra gold beyond what you'd get at level 3.

And that's it!

Before we switched to that we felt like our characters were missing having to make difficult decisions since we had loads of perks from previous retirements and loads of gold. It works for us pretty well.

Playing the community campaign is good for this.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

thespaceinvader posted:

Playing the community campaign is good for this.

Is it harder than normal content? Haven't had a look at it yet.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Is it harder than normal content? Haven't had a look at it yet.

We've not noticed it being particularly harder, but it's a lot more interesting in design terms.

It also starts at level 1 with no perks, but you keep unlocked all the items you've unlocked, so it's an interesting mix of customisability versus low power level.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

We've not noticed it being particularly harder, but it's a lot more interesting in design terms.

It also starts at level 1 with no perks, but you keep unlocked all the items you've unlocked, so it's an interesting mix of customisability versus low power level.

I thought you started with the prosp 1 items and unlocked the next set every 3 scenarios? That's what I read in the rules, but there might've been a clause I missed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

I thought you started with the prosp 1 items and unlocked the next set every 3 scenarios? That's what I read in the rules, but there might've been a clause I missed.

If that's what was supposed to happen it's not what we did lol e: it mostly doesn't make a lot of difference anyway, the money amounts in it have been pretty low thus far; it's tending to give out items rather than cash.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 23, 2019

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

If that's what was supposed to happen it's not what we did lol e: it mostly doesn't make a lot of difference anyway, the money amounts in it have been pretty low thus far; it's tending to give out items rather than cash.

I know there are definitely some differences with splitting from a higher level campaign. You get to play with any class unlocks, and you get any enhancements, as well as being able to purchase enhancements yourself (but only if you have the ability to do so in the main campaign).

So I thought maybe there was a FAQ somewhere that clarified you get to purchase items from the main campaign pool. It would make item management slightly easier for sure. But yeah I agree there's probably not a major difference since you don't start out with a ton of gold anyway, so you're mostly going to be sticking to a potion or two and some of the level 1 armor/boots/goggles or whatever.

We actually just started the first community campaign on Sunday with a friend who was interested in Gloom but we didn't necessarily want to fold in to a campaign we are already well into. Group is Mindthief, Sun, Angry Face and Cthulu and it's certainly an interesting mix, especially starting out recent unlocks at level 1!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
My group just had major turnover due to two retirements and one that left the game before and we're now a very strange layout of Eclipse (me), CthulhuFace, Notes, and Triforce. It is an exceedingly squishy party, one in which the guy who has the most hit points also wants to be invisible most of the time. Letting the Elementalist or the Plague Herald tank in my stead seems like a terrible idea, but it's not like I can just ignore my class features.

Tips on how to handle that composition?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Abuse positioning and enemy AI to spread out the incoming damage as much as possible. Be prepared to maybe lose a card to prevent damage early on.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Memnaelar posted:

My group just had major turnover due to two retirements and one that left the game before and we're now a very strange layout of Eclipse (me), CthulhuFace, Notes, and Triforce. It is an exceedingly squishy party, one in which the guy who has the most hit points also wants to be invisible most of the time. Letting the Elementalist or the Plague Herald tank in my stead seems like a terrible idea, but it's not like I can just ignore my class features.

Tips on how to handle that composition?

Cthulhu and Music Note is probably the strongest combo in the game, and Eclipse and Triforce both have non-loss instant kills (assuming you are level 7). Use the "all enemies have disadvantage" song, and the "enemies take damage when they draw a curse", and just keep filling the deck with curses and enemies won't even do damage most of the time. For tanking purposes, just rotate amongst the group. Everyone but the eclipse is ranged, so you should be able to kite enemies as well.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Piell posted:

Cthulhu and Music Note isprobably the strongest combo in the game, and Eclipse and Triforce both have non-loss instant kills (assuming you are level 7). Use the "all enemies have disadvantage" song, and the "enemies take damage when they draw a curse", and just keep filling the deck with curses and enemies won't even do damage most of the time. For tanking purposes, just rotate amongst the group. Everyone but the eclipse is ranged, so you should be able to kite enemies as well.

Yea we just noticed that specific combo but unfortunately we won't have note and cthulu at the same time. The disadvantage song is easy mode tho, as long as you're running that I wouldn't worry too much.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

I know there are definitely some differences with splitting from a higher level campaign. You get to play with any class unlocks, and you get any enhancements, as well as being able to purchase enhancements yourself (but only if you have the ability to do so in the main campaign).

So I thought maybe there was a FAQ somewhere that clarified you get to purchase items from the main campaign pool. It would make item management slightly easier for sure. But yeah I agree there's probably not a major difference since you don't start out with a ton of gold anyway, so you're mostly going to be sticking to a potion or two and some of the level 1 armor/boots/goggles or whatever.

We actually just started the first community campaign on Sunday with a friend who was interested in Gloom but we didn't necessarily want to fold in to a campaign we are already well into. Group is Mindthief, Sun, Angry Face and Cthulu and it's certainly an interesting mix, especially starting out recent unlocks at level 1!

The community campaigns have different rules. Capital Intrigue limits you to Prosperty 1 items and allows 2 & 3 later on; the newest campaign allows you to purchase any unlocked items from the start. I don't know about the original Kickstarter community campaign.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We just finished Scenario 13 after finishing Scenario 7.

We picked Wealth since we already unlocked the Necromancer Sanctum. Did we gently caress the donkey? Should we have picked power instead?

Seems to me like we all need money real bad, particularly my Sun class who's saving up for that thing the sun class saves up for.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

dwarf74 posted:

We picked Wealth since we already unlocked the Necromancer Sanctum. Did we gently caress the donkey? Should we have picked power instead?

Seems to me like we all need money real bad, particularly my Sun class who's saving up for that thing the sun class saves up for.

No, Wealth is the better pick. You'll also be able to unlock the Power scenario at a later point as well.

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 24, 2019

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

dwarf74 posted:

You chose wisely.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Sweet.

Tough scenario btw. 2 characters exhausted, which hardly ever happens. Me (sun) and one friend (Triforce) were the last two standing.

But hey, that's actually great for me. For uh. Reasons.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yeah scenario 13 sucks. We got it first try with 3 characters but 2 were exhausted at the end.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah scenario 13 sucks. We got it first try with 3 characters but 2 were exhausted at the end.
I thought we were going to lose, honestly. We cleaned up the first room pretty well and in pretty good shape. (It took a few rounds, but with golems that kinda comes with the territory.)

Then the scoundrel decided to breach the second room and ran right into the middle of it, unsupported. He was so set on his move-6-into-the-room-and-kill-something plan that he got stupid, even with the rest of us telling him what a horrible idea that was. Every enemy save one focused on him. He was losing cards almost immediately. (It is a really bad room, especially with 4 players.) He lasted, I think, three more rounds and actually killed a few bears but still, it would have been better to have him along for the rest of the dungeon.

And cthulhu-face needed to get to 2 health or below for his checkmark, so he was intentionally playing risky, which also didn't work out so well. He also exhausted, and still didn't get his checkmark.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I know this has been discussed adnauseam but Im looking for a storage solution, and being a woodworker with a CNC I'm thinking of making this one.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2735730

Has anyone made this before? If so any critiques or anything you'd change if you were to make it again?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Narsham posted:

The community campaigns have different rules. Capital Intrigue limits you to Prosperty 1 items and allows 2 & 3 later on; the newest campaign allows you to purchase any unlocked items from the start. I don't know about the original Kickstarter community campaign.

Ah okay this makes sense. We are playing the first one "Into the Unknown" and it seems to have the same ruleset as Capital Intrigue. I wasn't aware that the new one had a different ruleset.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We're voting for perk assignment, money spending, city event outcomes and (soon) on our next destination down in the LP thread so feel free to come over and doom to failure chose the best for our party!

I have bought an organizer on Etsy of all places from a guy in Ukraine called Tower Rex. It costs way less than BT or similar ones (although the shipping price is inflated to, I suspect, make the initial buying price more enticing) and I honestly can't tell the difference between this and more famous/expensive kits.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

We're voting for perk assignment, money spending, city event outcomes and (soon) on our next destination down in the LP thread so feel free to come over and doom to failure chose the best for our party!

I have bought an organizer on Etsy of all places from a guy in Ukraine called Tower Rex. It costs way less than BT or similar ones (although the shipping price is inflated to, I suspect, make the initial buying price more enticing) and I honestly can't tell the difference between this and more famous/expensive kits.

We used Tower Rex for Scythe and they make a great product, though the prices are definitely comparable to BT et al. when you take shipping into account. It is great receiving a package from Ukraine with approximately 50 stamps on it for postage, though.

Bodanarko fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 25, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Bodanarko posted:

We used Tower Rex for Scythe and they make a great product, though the prices are definitely comparable to BT et al. when you take shipping into account. It is great receiving a package from the Ukraine with approximately 50 stamps on it for postage, though.

Yeah, it's probably cheaper only if you're EU based, since BT shipping is very expensive from here. And yeah, the package was hilariously covered in stamps (the package itself was pretty banged up, but the content was still in perfect condition.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bodanarko posted:

We used Tower Rex for Scythe and they make a great product, though the prices are definitely comparable to BT et al. when you take shipping into account. It is great receiving a package from the Ukraine with approximately 50 stamps on it for postage, though.

this is off topic, but it's "Ukraine", not "the Ukraine." It's a country.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Obstacles Cragheart is so fun to play, even at low levels. Yesterday I had a pet rock that I have spawned and brought with me for most of a Scenario, Room after room, "walking" it around with Clear the Way. Unfortunately I had to Explosive Punch it to kill a bunch of monsters in the last room. Now it's in the happy rock farm up north, together with all the other pet rocks.

Edit: I have a question. Does the attack in CRAGHEART LVL3 Card spoiler Clear the Way count as melee, since it has no Range value in itself?

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Italian Guy posted:

Obstacles Cragheart is so fun to play, even at low levels. Yesterday I had a pet rock that I have spawned and brought with me for most of a Scenario, Room after room, "walking" it around with Clear the Way. Unfortunately I had to Explosive Punch it to kill a bunch of monsters in the last room. Now it's in the happy rock farm up north, together with all the other pet rocks.

Edit: I have a question. Does the attack in CRAGHEART LVL3 Card spoiler Clear the Way count as melee, since it has no Range value in itself?
Higher level cards for base classes aren't spoilers. :)

CtW is ranged. Technically if it targets someone next to you, you have disadvantage.

And if you're curious, the faq answers a bunch of other Cragheart questions too :)