Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Vitamin P posted:

Burden of proof applies to either side equally, it depends on the rhetoric of how the discussion is framed, no you get out but actually don't I welcome your input friend.

lmao. the phrase literally means "the side of the argument that is required to prove their position"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
I spent some time working with a colleague from up north yesterday who, as small talk, asked my option about Brexit and the proceeded to tell me he voted leave because:

A) Iranians can come here and be given benefits and a council house while British people have to work and there aren't enough houses, and

B) EU laws mean Britain can't convict aspiring terrorists of plotting terrorist acts even if the evidence is there.

I didn't know what to say because both of these points seem so patently incorrect but I doubt any facts to they contrary is going to change his mind
:shrug:

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Also lol at complaining about migrants, to me a migrant, while knowing full well I've met his Asian wife

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Independent posted:

More than 250 companies are in touch with the Dutch government about moving to the Netherlands because of Brexit, officials have said.

The trade and investment arm of the country’s government has been soliciting moves from companies worried about access to the EU market, with Britain set to leave the single market and customs union.

A number of high-profile companies have already announced a decision to cross the North Sea, most recently Japanese electronics giant Sony specifically citing Brexit. Last year Panasonic also announced it was moving to Amsterdam.

quote:

Michiel Bakhuizen, a spokesman for the Netherlands Foreign Investment Agency (NFIA), told the AFP news agency that the number of firms in talks was growing.

A final figure would be announced next month cataloguing the relocations, he said, stating that “every new arrival of a business, big or small, is a success”. “The number of businesses we are in contact with for a possible arrival is growing. At the start of 2017 it was 80, at the start of 2018 150, and now it’s more than 250,” he said.

“This increase will continue and it’s not strange, because there is great uncertainty at the moment in Britain. And if there is one thing that’s bad for business, it’s uncertainty.” The spokesperson confirmed that that the NFIA was “in contact with more than 250 interested in an eventual move to the Netherlands because of Brexit”.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Rozzbot posted:

I spent some time working with a colleague from up north yesterday who, as small talk, asked my option about Brexit and the proceeded to tell me he voted leave because:

A) Iranians can come here and be given benefits and a council house while British people have to work and there aren't enough houses, and

B) EU laws mean Britain can't convict aspiring terrorists of plotting terrorist acts even if the evidence is there.

I didn't know what to say because both of these points seem so patently incorrect but I doubt any facts to they contrary is going to change his mind

Did you tell him that Iran is not part of the EU?

Also that migrants who are not part of the EU don't get access to benefits immediately?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1088430141569753089?s=20

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Well if a50 is revoked I'll be happy Britgoons/relatives of Britgoons and Brits in general will get their meds and food even if a certain part of the population will somehow find a way to blame Europe for it.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

An insane mind posted:

The 'funny' thing about Brexit not happening in the end, isn't the damage already done? Jobs leaving to mainland Europe and supply lines hiccuping and stuff like that? Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding something about a50 and the preparations for it?

If they called it all off today supply lines wouldn't be affected, those are only going to be disrupted if we have additional border checks. But jobs have already been lost, and more would probably go. Some companies might decide to go ahead with a move anyway if the cost of cancelling their Brexit plans outweighs the benefits of staying, others would likely consider that in the long term a move to the European mainland would be a safe investment in case we decide to try Brexit again.

Calling it all off is still the best option, but it has and would continue to do enormous damage. There's the reputational impact too, which is harder to quantify, but I'd imagine it would be a major issue for future investment in the UK.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

Did you tell him that Iran is not part of the EU?

Also that migrants who are not part of the EU don't get access to benefits immediately?

I've seen them make this argument before - apparently because they can get to mainland Europe easily then they get EU citizenship and then they come over here to lap up all our sweet, sweet benefits cash.

tfw you see a really cute pig

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Glenn Quebec posted:

Holy poo poo is this true or just some funny made up factoid

That was just a random twitter poll done by sky iirc, "proper" polls (if you trust yougov to not gently caress it up) indicate the following though:

which still indicates that 44% of the population don't really know what "no deal" means

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

this one is the best:

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1088092823902216193

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

The entire account is gold

https://twitter.com/FarneyExpat/status/1088403142679687168?s=19

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1088421573831417856?s=20

Literally the entire article:

French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire said on Thursday that Britain had negotiated a fair Brexit deal with the European Union that should not be up for renegotiation.

If Britain wants a delay to implementing the deal, Le Maire said, the EU would want to understand the reason behind the request.

“There is a fair agreement that paves the way for fair Brexit,” he said at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

“We are open for clarifications, but do not want to reopen the deal... If the British are asking for more delay, we have to understand what for?”

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Chris James 2 posted:

moving the nl stories

fuckkkkkkkkk

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DownieSeb/status/1088464696980766721?s=19

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

put olive oil in the petroleum tank as a fuel replacement and your car fumes will smell like bruschetta

twoday
May 4, 2005

That's too European, you should power your car with good old-fashioned British lard

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

lmao

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

What if, let me spit-ball here, we just move the whole of the U.K. population that doesn't want to Brexit to the Netherlands and all watch the rich eat eachother from the beach?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

An insane mind posted:

What if, let me spit-ball here, we just move the whole of the U.K. population that doesn't want to Brexit to the Netherlands and all watch the rich eat eachother from the beach?

Yes please. I want in on that weed and stroop waffle. Maybe we can come back when the island is empty, 24 Days Later style

Edit - and bring weed and stroop waffle back with us

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

An insane mind posted:

At least you didn't say Ireland

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

hobbesmaster posted:

At least you didn't say Ireland

they've suffered enough

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

Yes please. I want in on that weed and stroop waffle. Maybe we can come back when the island is empty, 24 Days Later style

Edit - and bring weed and stroop waffle back with us

You haven't lived until you had our roze koeken. Basically cakes with fondant? So tasty.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I hope Brexit happens so that you learn your lesson.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

im glad some nicer EU countries are going to benefit from brexit because of all the new businesses moving there! hopefully they can send food parcels to us

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Salmond the attempted rapist.

Got punched in the shoulder for saying, "Christ, well at least it was just attempted rather than completed."

Completely deserved it.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Rozzbot posted:

I'm sure he has some numbers to back this up, correct? Because obviously the benefits of excluding filthy migrants outweigh losing 100k jobs because AirBus fucks off back to France or wherever.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Judakel posted:

I hope Brexit happens so that you learn your lesson.

The people who actually need that lesson will either be dead soon or, when everything (else) has gone to poo poo, will still refuse to see the correlation.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rozzbot posted:

yeah english people are loving stupid and cannot be trusted.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
"loving Iranians. " Brexit Britisher staring at the lorry hell line in Dover.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Captain Splendid posted:

The people who actually need that lesson will either be dead soon or, when everything (else) has gone to poo poo, will still refuse to see the correlation.

Hopefully they die because of brexit.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1088505622113456135

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

unbelievably lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

every single person interviewed in this article is over 50

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

You promised us billions if we shot ourselves in the dick. *High, angry falsetto* BREXIT IS BREXIT

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 24 days!)

Jose posted:

Those are the only people left.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jose posted:

lol imagine if the UK was actually led by young people