Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Dumbest question I've ever asked.

Can we just shut off power at night to most people? What if like, use electricity during the day. At night, when it's dark. Just like, go to bed? Could they do that? I feel like maybe that would cut emissions a lot?

I don't think so, Tim.

Edit: Well this is awkward. Have a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spaced God posted:

I mean.... There are people who work night shifts who would like to be able to use electricity

yeah gently caress us night owls I guess

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mdemone posted:

If I kill myself first, I won't have to find out!

mdemone posted:

a single gunshot echoes through the thread

I win!

InsertPotPun posted:

"I'm black from the waist down."

Edit: not a joke. That's what he told reporters.

poo poo, I lost.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

MSNBC is on and it sounds like the Votes will be soon.

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/1088506465625821185

It's going to be quite a day on the hill...

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Lightning Knight posted:

In Wisconsin, electricity is tied to heat generation. Also this assumes that no one needs to do anything at night or is even allowed to do things at night, which is bizarre.

I'm half an hour from where LK used to live and it's supposed to be loving -13 tomorrow night, and that's BEFORE the wind chill.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Every second I’m forced to think about the Mooch’s penis is also a second I want global warming to kill me right now

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
frankly, it makes more sense to shut off electricity during the daytime

the sun's up so you don't need electric light, and you're awake to refill the icebox with actual ice a couple times

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Every second I’m forced to think about the Mooch’s penis is also a second I want global warming to kill me right now

Hey, at least by his own reports, he was not trying to suck his own penis like Bannon was!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Alternatively we could just regulate the companies that are responsible for the majority of climate changing emissions and poo poo. Would be a lot easier and more efficacious than figuring out weird night time power rationing.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

coffeetable posted:

thanks! but then why was the 16th amendment needed?

so i thought that's what was covered but apparently it is pretty complicated, huh. Yeah I have no clue- it may require an ammendment

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

The Glumslinger posted:

Wasn't a nude selfie supposedly part of Mueller's giant collection of evidence in some case?

If Mueller has been reviewing evidence that includes nudes of Scaramucci, everyone in this thread who has questioned his heroism needs to apologize.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Can we just shut off power at night to most people? What if like, use electricity during the day. At night, when it's dark. Just like, go to bed? Could they do that? I feel like maybe that would cut emissions a lot?

There's a ton of stuff that needs electricity to work at night in a modern standard of living. Refrigerators. Elevators. Heating and cooling. Streetlights and traffic lights. Rapid transit. Communication networks. Hospitals. We can't just stop the world when the sun goes down any more.

You can cut your own emission footprint by turning off appliances but you probably have a couple of things in your home that consume some minimal level of power even when they say "off" (most electronics and computers) or whose power cannot be easily shut off for good reason (refrigerator).

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

More would probably be saved by people adjusting their thermostats up or down by a few degrees, depending on the season.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

ewiley posted:

The problem with a wealth tax is liquidating even 1-2% of everyone's wealth annually would lead to the stock market absolutely tanking and a massive shift of wealth to tax havens (even more than now). This might be your desired outcome, but it would not be popular.

OctaMurk posted:

Taking 30% of peoples wealth would either result in them doing even more heinous poo poo to keep that wealth, or an unsustainable tax base once that wealth is all taxed away.

You know, after you pass a tax reform saying "we're taking X amount", you don't have to stop and just sit back and let them gently caress you over anyways. Give the IRS a budget and fund them an extra department to go after people trying to do "even more heinous poo poo".

The number of actual people negatively impacted by poo poo like this is actually really loving small, they just have the money to let them yell the loudest at congress to try to prevent something like this from happening. If they want to take their liquid capital and run and we can't stop them, well they have to leave a lot of material poo poo behind and honestly we'd be better off without them.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TGLT posted:

Alternatively we could just regulate the companies that are responsible for the majority of climate changing emissions and poo poo. Would be a lot easier and more efficacious than figuring out weird night time power rationing.

Yeah this entire concept that it is individual consumers who generate the emissions and thus must suffer to reduce it fundamentally misunderstands the problem.

The largest single producer of emissions iirc is the US Military, American empire is directly tied to the impending death of the biosphere.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Whoa slow down there buddy we are a good ten to fifteen years out from the First Energy War.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rex-Goliath posted:

hell no. Congress has the right to levy taxes however it sees fit.

Yup, and despite the way they whine, 'being wealthy' is not a protected class.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

Shortly after Donald Trump’s election, a Disney crew was dispatched to the White House to record the new president’s voice, which would be played through an animatron at Disney World’s Hall of Presidents. It was a typical right of passage for a new president. But Trump was thrilled by the idea. He also had an odd request.

Trump wanted his robotic likeness to tell Disney-goers that Americans had invented the skyscraper and to remind them of his own career in real estate.

“Then I could add a little, ‘Which, of course, I know a thing or two about,’ right?” Trump suggested his robot say, according to an account of his remarks in a new book, Team of Vipers, by former senior White House aide Cliff Sims.

Disney brass objected to the request, saying that Americans hadn’t actually invented the concept of a skyscraper—it’s “just a taller building,” one protested—and Sims agreed to strike the line from the pre-recorded Disney speech. But the anecdote illustrated one of the major themes that has defined the Trump era: The president, and many of his top aides, have had immense difficulty grasping the enormous duties of their office.

“This,” Sims wrote of the Disney encounter, “was a presidential duty that filled the President with unusual boyish excitement.”

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

gently caress you, I don't want to die.

Medical necessity, and not everyone has the bougie benefit of working 9-5 M-F, motherfucker.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

haveblue posted:

There's a ton of stuff that needs electricity to work at night in a modern standard of living. Refrigerators. Heating and cooling. Streetlights and traffic lights. Rapid transit. Communication networks. Hospitals. We can't just stop the world when the sun goes down any more.

Just to conclude this line of argument, we could imagine reducing the standby power draw of every appliance to zero (instead of the 0.5 W or whatever it has to be under by law), so that whenever it's not being used it's just as if the electricity is turned off at night or whenever.

You'd save virtually nothing, because the standby draw is already so low that it might as well be zero. You have to reduce actual duty cycles, and not just zero out the power drawn by powered-off appliances.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Also, if any empty space in your refrigerator/freezer isn't being taken up by cold packs or jugs of water or whatnot, you're doing the Earth and yourself a disservice.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rex-Goliath posted:

so i thought that's what was covered but apparently it is pretty complicated, huh.

Iirc, there was a provision for federal taxes in the constitution but disagreement on what/how to go about that since the language was vague. The 16th just codified it

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:pray:

https://twitter.com/NBC29/status/1088517995318689795

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

You know, after you pass a tax reform saying "we're taking X amount", you don't have to stop and just sit back and let them gently caress you over anyways. Give the IRS a budget and fund them an extra department to go after people trying to do "even more heinous poo poo".

The number of actual people negatively impacted by poo poo like this is actually really loving small, they just have the money to let them yell the loudest at congress to try to prevent something like this from happening. If they want to take their liquid capital and run and we can't stop them, well they have to leave a lot of material poo poo behind and honestly we'd be better off without them.

Yeah.. after you fund programs relying on taxing people at 30% of their wealth. What do you actually do once you have taxed their wealth away? Because they arent growing it at 30% per year. It's not sustainable lmao.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

The fact that I am suddenly on tenterhooks for news about The Mooch's pumphandle has me in a deep emotional hole.

I'm also on prednisone at the moment so hooray for mood swings. At least I'm worrying about a strangers cock instead playing chicken on the highway.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

Scaramucci had just finished up an interview on the White House’s north lawn, Sims recalls, when he “was approached by several cameramen from one of the networks, each of whom wanted to take a photo with him.” As he snapped selfies, Scaramucci “put both hands on his belt buckle, leaned in close to the cameramen—each of whom happened to be African American—and said, ‘Can I tell you guys something? We’ve already hit it off, and I think I know one of the reasons why.’ Mooch paused for a few moments to build the anticipation. ‘It’s ’cause I’m black from the waist down.’”

quote:

Asked on Thursday if he’d like to comment about the moment, Scaramucci texted The Daily Beast: “Nah thanks though.”

A year ago, when The Daily Beast had first heard that Scaramucci had a habit of cracking this particularly joke, he had feigned ignorance, suggesting the joke “sounds racist.” When asked if that was a denial, he would only say, “I have no further comments. Ask your editor if he thinks that is a good idea to write that.” The Daily Beast ultimately didn’t run the story on grounds that the former White House comms director’s endowment didn’t have an obvious news hook)

quote:

In Team of Vipers, Sims recounts Trump lavishing praise upon Fox Business host Lou Dobbs—at the mild expense of Sean Hannity, another Fox host and top Trump confidant.

“Lou, I’ve been thinking a lot about it and I really think you might be the best,” the president told “Lou,” according to Vipers. “I’m serious. Honest to God, Lou, I think you’re the best who’s ever done it. You’ve got a certain way that you do things. Now you know Hannity—Sean is wonderful, so good. But I honestly think you may be better. And you know why? It’s not just information, Lou. It’s great information but it’s more than that; it’s entertainment.”

As The Daily Beast previously reported, the president’s affection for Dobbs is so complete that he has even patched the TV anchor in on speaker phone during high-level Oval Office meetings. Trump has also repeatedly mocked Hannity’s interviewing style, decrying it as lazy, boring, “dumb,” and too suck-up-y, three people with direct knowledge told The Daily Beast in November.

“It’s like he’s not even trying,” Trump said, one source recalled, just before the president launched into a rough Hannity impersonation, and complaining that host’s questions about how “great I am” give him nothing to work with.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
We've always been that future dystopian hell.

https://twitter.com/JonathanNBCLA/status/1088514500003688449?s=20

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Xequecal posted:

That depends on how much the political climate has shifted in 12 years and how much people still care about the third world, because it's going to be them doing the dying.

I'm sure people in the third world will just stick around and die instead of running away to countries less affected by change. I also eat my own poop.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Rex-Goliath posted:

so i thought that's what was covered but apparently it is pretty complicated, huh. Yeah I have no clue- it may require an ammendment

It had to deal with how the Supreme Court treated direct taxes, which have to apportioned by state based on population, as compared to indirect taxes. They thought the supreme court would declare income tax to be a direct tax, so they passed the amendment.

A tax on personal property is considered a direct tax iirc, so a wealth tax might need an amendment

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/cspan/status/1088517476919504897

:ironicat:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

https://www.c-span.org/video/?457171-1/us-senate-vote-competing-bills-open-federal-government&live c-span video, vote is supposed to be soon.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Couple that with abstinence only education and you have Literally Zardoz "the gun is good, the penis is evil"

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

MOTHER

loving

GUILLOTINE

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

ZypherIM posted:

I'm fully in favor of a wealth tax, just the implications of the sales of billions of dollars of securities every year to pay the tax will devalue them pretty significantly. One could argue this is a good thing, since the market already seems to dip at the end of the year (people selling to realize a loss for tax purposes, etc) but it's not as easy as raising progressive taxes on income.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Critical posted:

The fact that I am suddenly on tenterhooks for news about The Mooch's pumphandle has me in a deep emotional hole.

I'm also on prednisone at the moment so hooray for mood swings. At least I'm worrying about a strangers cock instead playing chicken on the highway.

My wife had to be on prednisone for almost a year. Condolences, it sucks.

If you'd rather think of something besides Moochdingus, the votes are about to happen in the Senate.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

God he's getting SO FAT

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

I'm not sure how this is possible, but he actually looks far, far worse with the facial hair than without it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Critical posted:

MOTHER

loving

GUILLOTINE

Made of Gilette razors?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

oddly enough, he's not wrong about americans inventing skyscrapers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OctaMurk posted:

Yeah.. after you fund programs relying on taxing people at 30% of their wealth.
Lol they're going to starve with only... *checks math* how many hundreds of MILLIONS DOLLARS in their account?