Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/1088486462050291712

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I HATE the source material.

But Urban and Starr make that an absolute can not miss for me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I like The Boys but I didn't have Ennis overload when it started. I liked the general plot concept, but it definitely got a bit too Ennis after a bit.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Azubah posted:

In a vacuum, sure, he fits there. He's been part of the Titans for a long time and YJ is basically that.

But he's in the Justice League animated/live action movies as a member, will be in Doom Patrol, and has been pushed hard as a Big Deal for a while now. With New 52 and Rebirth he was a founding member of the League too.

and? what should the alternative be? not using him at all?

Stuff where he actually FITS shouldn't be looked at the same way as that other stuff. The last thing we need is for a prominent poc character to be made persona non grata

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Medullah posted:

I like The Boys but I didn't have Ennis overload when it started. I liked the general plot concept, but it definitely got a bit too Ennis after a bit.

Yeah there's something salvageable there if you trim out the egregious Ennis-ness but... Seth Rogan so welp

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Seth Rogan so welp

Didn't Preacher end up okay?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Boys is alternately really smart and good, and absolutely awful and terrible and beyond contempt as a comic. It flails between both states wildly.

For once, I imagine the TV adaptation might be toning down the grittiness of the comic book source material just in order to make it slightly more sane, let alone more palatable.

Svensken
May 29, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

and? what should the alternative be? not using him at all?

Stuff where he actually FITS shouldn't be looked at the same way as that other stuff. The last thing we need is for a prominent poc character to be made persona non grata

The alternative should be trying to push more than one poc at a time dude

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Svensken posted:

The alternative should be trying to push more than one poc at a time dude

yeah, but that's not really a problem with Young Justice. The show is very diverse.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah if they can manage to take the general idea of the boys and leave out all the ennis i would watch that

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I was enthralled with The Boys but it did poo poo the bed long before it ended and some of that poo poo got in my mouth and on the wall and i can still smell it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/umbrellaacad/status/1088474030489985029?s=21

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Teenage Fansub posted:

Didn't Preacher end up okay?

No

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I haven't been keeping up much with YJ but it seems to me that it's a pretty natural place for Cyborg to pop up? He's a second-gen hero along with Dick and Wally. The only thing that would feel out of place if is they were like "And here is our AWESOME SAVIOR CYBORG, the bestest guy ever, thank goodness we finally have a real hero here now to show us how it's all done~" or whatever.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Even if Young Justice is an appropriate place for Cyborg to show up, it's just further indicative of DC's continued approach to that character, which is "shove him into everything." YJ might be diverse enough that he won't be their blatant token minority, but that doesn't excuse the many, many other recent times where he did show up just to be exactly that. He's in the Teen Titans. He's in the Doom Patrol. He's now randomly a founding member of the Justice League. That it makes sense for him to be in this show doesn't really matter when the issue is that he's in too many shows, and they should really use some other characters.

It's a problem made worse by the fact that I can't tell you poo poo about Cyborg. I watched a lot of that cartoon from over a decade ago, which may explain why there's a resurgence of "interest" in the character, but as far as I can tell this Cyborg isn't actually anything at all like that Cyborg. And by that logic, we should really be seeing way more of John Stewart as Green Lantern. We are not (to the extent that my personal dumb conspiracy theory is that Geoff Johns is using Cyborg as The Black Member Of The Justice League to avoid having anyone but Hal loving Jordan be Green Lantern).

It'd be like if Marvel was randomly putting like, Ant-Man in adaptations of the Guardians of the Galaxy and Alpha Flight and the Defenders constantly, and then they do an Avengers series with him as a founding member, and while it makes sense for him to show up there you're so goddamn sick of Ant-Man that it just reinforces how hard this character is getting pushed. That's obviously a ridiculous example (because who could ever tire of Ant-Man?) but whatever.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 24, 2019

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It sucks that Seth Rogan is such a huge Garth Ennis fan. Oh well.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Still wondering if there will ever be a moment where Number 1 takes off the trenchcoat. They got one good looking monkey in, they can probably do him for a couple of scenes.

edit:

For referece:

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 24, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Preacher is great because the first thing they did was dump everything from the comic.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

twistedmentat posted:

Is the Doom Patrol series a spin off so to speak from Titans? Like same cast (outside of Dalton as Chief) and location? I really liked what we saw in the show. That Robotman, like real pathos there.

I think it's a spin off but they've done some recasting.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Preacher is great because the first thing they did was dump everything from the comic.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, he didn't need to be totally scarred up since it's more about him being hosed in the head.

I don't even get this line of thought. Okay, sure, it's about his mental issues, but dude had the side of his face scraped off. At the climax of last season's finale.

He shoulda looked at least a little gruesome.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's impressive what skin grafts can do nowadays.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Also Dominic, Ruth and Joe are all amazing together.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What I'm given to understand was the "comedic highlight" of the Seth Rogen Hulu original 'Future Man' was the lead character jackin' it when the two people from the future show up in his room, and he then blows a load onto the guy from the future. COMEDY~! I expect The Boys is going to be like that, but with superheroes and more so.

The further we get from Hitman, the less I like Ennis.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 25, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Future Man is surprisingly clever, though, yes, it is very puerile.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's a bit of a bummer about how face but they got the most important piece of Jigsaw right which is that he's a huge incompetent loser who thinks he's way cooler and more bad rear end than he actually is.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Arist posted:

Even if Young Justice is an appropriate place for Cyborg to show up, it's just further indicative of DC's continued approach to that character, which is "shove him into everything." YJ might be diverse enough that he won't be their blatant token minority, but that doesn't excuse the many, many other recent times where he did show up just to be exactly that. He's in the Teen Titans. He's in the Doom Patrol. He's now randomly a founding member of the Justice League. That it makes sense for him to be in this show doesn't really matter when the issue is that he's in too many shows, and they should really use some other characters.

It's a problem made worse by the fact that I can't tell you poo poo about Cyborg. I watched a lot of that cartoon from over a decade ago, which may explain why there's a resurgence of "interest" in the character, but as far as I can tell this Cyborg isn't actually anything at all like that Cyborg. And by that logic, we should really be seeing way more of John Stewart as Green Lantern. We are not (to the extent that my personal dumb conspiracy theory is that Geoff Johns is using Cyborg as The Black Member Of The Justice League to avoid having anyone but Hal loving Jordan be Green Lantern).

It'd be like if Marvel was randomly putting like, Ant-Man in adaptations of the Guardians of the Galaxy and Alpha Flight and the Defenders constantly, and then they do an Avengers series with him as a founding member, and while it makes sense for him to show up there you're so goddamn sick of Ant-Man that it just reinforces how hard this character is getting pushed. That's obviously a ridiculous example (because who could ever tire of Ant-Man?) but whatever.

Any screen time that is used on Cyborg and not Static is a small travesty. That's a minority character who is amazing and needs maximum exposure since they're allowing him in the show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Humorously, Ant-Man actually was on the GOTG in comics several months ago.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I still cannot for the life of me understand how DC has failed to make Static into a big deal. Maybe the cartoon wasn't super popular like ratings wise? Cause any time the people around me hear of a DC property, they will ask me where Static Shock is. I understand that they can't push him and Black Lightning at the same time, but drat it, pick Virgil.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC doesn't own Static though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Who the hell is Static?

And I am a solid medium as far as comics nerds go.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Static and the Milestone heroes have been handed off to Reginald Hudlin's Milestone Universe initiative, which is in development hell. So, no, Cyborg's screentime isn't screentime they can just give to Static.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I dunno if DC owns Static, but they put him in Young Justice Season 2. They've put him in video games. They could use him. They've chosen not to.

I'm sure their reason if asked would be better than "We permanently lost the ability to use him after something we tried to get off the ground in 2015 never did."

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

SonicRulez posted:

I dunno if DC owns Static, but they put him in Young Justice Season 2. They've put him in video games. They could use him. They've chosen not to.

I'm sure their reason if asked would be better than "We permanently lost the ability to use him after something we tried to get off the ground in 2015 never did."

Icon was also in YJ wasn't he? But something could have changed since then that made them unable to use the characters. It has been a few years. Wasn't their creator still alive when YJ started?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't McDuffie's estate sue the Milestone thing? That could certainly throw a monkeywrench in things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't McDuffie's estate sue the Milestone thing? That could certainly throw a monkeywrench in things.

Yes, the tried to basically edge out his widow on his share of the properties.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

This deal with Hudlin happened after the first two seasons of YJ had come and gone. Circumstances have changed since YJ was written.

Also McDuffie's widow is suing them over it as of 2017.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Dawgstar posted:

What I'm given to understand was the "comedic highlight" of the Seth Rogen Hulu original 'Future Man' was the lead character jackin' it when the two people from the future show up in his room, and he then blows a load onto the guy from the future. COMEDY~!

That's in episode one which everyone agrees is the low point of the first season so I don't know who told you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/1088486462050291712

I've never read The Boys, how Ennisy is it?