Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Luigi Thirty posted:

I've been playing with the Sierra SCI engine while I wait for all my computer poo poo to arrive to Chicago. I got it to draw transformed polygons.

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1084347538914885632

Why does it look like LCARS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Schadenboner posted:

:shrug:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Schadenboner posted:

why the hell not

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
why shouldn't it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/1085083024197386241

:toot:

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
alright instead of cluttering up the pics thread more with this ima move my dodecahedron gripper thingy project here

managed to simplify the linkages by using ball joints; i'm hoping they'll print acceptably

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWTD80etZ0U

also all the parts have been set to the correct size using Math(TM)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
send it to me when you get it completed, tia. i want to print one

i started to model one when i saw that video too but i only got this far

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

cheers, will do. i still need to redesign the middle linkage a bit since there's some interference when everything is completely open, and then figure out how to mount a servo to rotate it

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

added a base with a spot for a micro servo, the gear ratio is 1:5 so as it turns 180 degrees the ring will rotate the required 36 degrees. gonna export to STL and upload next

i think i may have made it slightly too large to fit on my printer which is annoying

e: and what it looks lik eopen

ol qwerty bastard fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 23, 2019

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's beautiful, I want to make one.

Or almost as good, see the results of someone else make one.

The models and simulations are great but they are basically fantasies, and like every budding serial killer knows sooner or later fantasizing just doesn't cut it any more.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

well you're in luck because i've just uploaded all the part files to thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3375148

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
looks awesome. can you upload the solidworks files too? or STEPs might be better for compatibility.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

send it to me when you get it completed, tia. i want to print one

i started to model one when i saw that video too but i only got this far

I initially thought you were modeling a mechanism for creating a very precise implosion

it made me wonder when Lowtax would get a visit

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

yeah when i get home i'll upload the SolidWorks files as long as you promise not to judge me for my haphazard modeling methods

i printed off the rotating ring piece last night (i checked and everything does fit on my printer) and the bottom hexagon is currently printing

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have to admit most of those parts make me scratch my head about how to orient and print them, but I guess if it was easy then everyone would want to do it.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
it's probably dumb but i keep thinking about that design as used for high-surface-area solar panel deployment

probably better shapes and systems though, i'm no space expert like musk

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

first few parts are off the printer and they fit together pretty decently after a bit of work with sandpaper and files

i printed them at i think like .08 mm layer height or something like that? you could probably get away with a coarser print though

here's the solidworks files as promised: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3kprqnqbc4bpah/BALL_JOINT_ASSY.zip?dl=0 (ignore the fact that i accidentally named one of the parts a hexagon)

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

ol qwerty bastard posted:

added a base with a spot for a micro servo, the gear ratio is 1:5 so as it turns 180 degrees the ring will rotate the required 36 degrees. gonna export to STL and upload next

i think i may have made it slightly too large to fit on my printer which is annoying

e: and what it looks lik eopen

is there a word or phrase for this kind of design? its sorta like geodesics but with cool new constraints and i wanna know more

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Corla Plankun posted:

is there a word or phrase for this kind of design? its sorta like geodesics but with cool new constraints and i wanna know more

well, that one there is one of the platonic solids when folded into "dice" configuration

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_solid

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
e: just gonna make a thread

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
I've been making a plate reverb and I finally got it making noise. My recording setup has some buzzing and stuff in it, and I'm sure I could get some better sounds with some pre-amps for the contact mics.

this is just a korg volca beats kick and snare running through it
https://soundcloud.com/void-star-1/big-plate-beat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo yes

what's your plate material?

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Jonny 290 posted:

holy poo poo yes

what's your plate material?

It's just a piece of galvanized sheet metal from home depot. I went through their little hopper and wiggled them around until one had a nice ring to it. It's probably a little too thick, I might go over it with a sander.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
that's really cool

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Zaxxon posted:

It's just a piece of galvanized sheet metal from home depot. I went through their little hopper and wiggled them around until one had a nice ring to it. It's probably a little too thick, I might go over it with a sander.

saw a recent youtube tutorial on building a plate reverb and i've been tempted myself

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Trig Discipline posted:

saw a recent youtube tutorial on building a plate reverb and i've been tempted myself

we probably saw the same thing. The "Ikea hack" one? I'd say go for it. It wasn't that hard and it was pretty cheap, but I have a pretty stocked garage workshop and all the wood I used was from scraps from other stuff.

The toughest part was getting the plate held under tension, at first I put some hex bolts through with a little hole in the bottom to attach a spring, but the plate was too heavy for any of the springs I could get that were small enough to fit, I tried cutting and uncoiling some bigger springs but that was a huge pain in the rear end and still not strong enough, so I decided to do eye bolts and s-hooks, but the eye bolts were too big to get any serious tension. So I eventually took 2 of the old hex nuts, cut the heads off them, drilled the holes bigger to fit the hooks, and tensioned them with a nut on the outside of the frame.

If I make another one I'm just gonna make the frame bigger and use eye bolts, or maybe just buy a big threaded rod and cut and drill sections of it.

All in all I think I spent about $110, around $25 for the plate, about $40 for the electronics, and $45 for the hardware, but that includes a bunch of excess bolts and springs.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

e: just gonna make a thread

link the thread?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

eschaton posted:

link the thread?

i made a low effort post for something i think is actually worth putting some effort into. i'm going to do some actual effort before reposting.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zaxxon posted:

we probably saw the same thing. The "Ikea hack" one? I'd say go for it. It wasn't that hard and it was pretty cheap, but I have a pretty stocked garage workshop and all the wood I used was from scraps from other stuff.

that’s the one! it looked quite manageable but gently caress me if I need another project right now

maybe one of these days

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
c istp s:

getting things lined up for the 290twitch.

picked up logitech c920 * 2, a big boom to mount one of them on, and a nice audio technica lav mic yesterday

the idea is to have one conventional camera, one mobile that i can point at either the solder bench or any radio in the shack, and then feed in video from the radio computer too

going in a bit to pick up a USB mixer for proper audio input. i'll be able to route any radio crackles i want into the feed, or just have me talking

oh and i gotta bootcamp and win10 the rmbp that im using for the stream box b/c slobs doesnt exist for os x yet. preliminary test with vanilla OBS on OS X shows about 40% cpu when streaming/recording, so it should have enough beef

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

are there any threads on these here forums for GIS? i think it would be a fun hobby to make pretty maps out of census data

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lutha Mahtin posted:

are there any threads on these here forums for GIS? i think it would be a fun hobby to make pretty maps out of census data

I don't know about threads, but I've done pretty well with maps and shapefiles to graph some election results using the GeoTools Open Source Java GIS Toolkit: http://geotools.org/

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i do a lot of gis stuff for my work but it's all in R

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lutha Mahtin posted:

call the thread "Geospatial Information System are Pieces Of poo poo" or something

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there's a careers in gis thread in bfc

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

that's archived tho

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i used to work in GIS stuff, the tools we used was QGIS and a bunch of CSV files. for making pretty maps i think i would just start with Python scripts to generate the CSV and then make it pretty in QGIS. for something more advanced, probably GeoTools or the OpenLayers javascript library

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

full motion video, the latest in computer entertainment. it's 24hz 480x272 running on a Cortex M4. i could play the entire movie if i bothered to encode it. not shown but you can seek through the video using the PS4 touchpad

the colour is perfectly accurate in real life but looks extremely blue when recorded on my crappy phone camera. although i did have to colour correct the image for the LCD screen anyway, the blue level of the LCD is more than 200% of normal and looks like rear end otherwise

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

when you don't know kung fu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

a little on how it works, since i like reading about these things maybe you will too!

the movie is dumped to raw pixels using ffmpeg, and then i encode it into a format that's simple enough to practically use on a microcontroller. each 480x272 frame has its own 256 colour palette and each pixel is one byte that indexes into it, a bit like a GIF with no compression. this is then written to an SD card.

the video data is streamed onto off-chip SDRAM via DMA from the SD card controller. the drivers for the DMA and SDC were so bad i had to rewrite them from the barely-documented hardware specs - all SD operations were blocking, which is terribad because there can be hundreds of milliseconds of latency at random intervals. smooth video is impossible under those conditions.

on each vsync interrupt from the lcd controller i start rendering a new frame. the palette is loaded first and then the inner loop loads 96 pixels at a time: the byte sized pixels are loaded into CPU registers, unpacked, their colour is looked up and they're written into the video buffer. the palette is loaded into fast single-cycle on-chip SRAM because SDRAM has very poor random access performance - when you consider that the indirect palette lookup runs 130,000 times per frame it really adds up. once all the pixels are blitted the double buffering pointers are swapped and the cycle repeats.

i wrote the video blitter in assembly and it cranks out a frame in 2ms, leaving lots of time to do other things besides drawing the video. it was an interesting optimisation exercise and is about five times faster than the C equivalent.