Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I like Dan, but that's some real loving bullshit right there.

and Helwani is an ESPN employee and not a UFC paid shill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wait didnt helwani get kicked out of an event for reporting something?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The clips make it sound a lot more serious and dismissive than it was in the context of the hour and their long history of loving with espn correspondents by cutting their mics (and those people being in on the joke which I feel like was the case here)They even started the hour saying that they wanted to make the next segments like pro wrestling.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

I like Dan, but that's some real loving bullshit right there.

and Helwani is an ESPN employee and not a UFC paid shill

Helwani was paid by Zuffa for years. He may not be any more but if you're going to pass yourself off as a journalist today, something like that should absolutely follow you forever.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

It's a work brothers.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

algebra testes posted:

Wait didnt helwani get kicked out of an event for reporting something?

UFC had him fired from Fox Sports gigs because he reported on stuff that UFC didn't want out, later kicked him out of UFC 199 and banned him for life because he broke the Brock Lesnar coming back to UFC story before UFC announced it, and also UFC got him banned from covering Mayweather/MacGregor

DJExile posted:

Helwani was paid by Zuffa for years. He may not be any more but if you're going to pass yourself off as a journalist today, something like that should absolutely follow you forever.

his "paid shilling" was doing reporting and analysis on Fox Sports coverage and production that involved a weird payment scheme with Zuffa reimbursing all of the talent on the show with money that Fox Sports paid Zuffa.

also it was like 3 or 4 attempts at UFC trying to permanently blackball him from the media ago

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

also i heard if john skipper was still head of espn they wouldn't have ufc

the current guy was interested enough to do it

BWV posted:

It's a work brothers.

i would believe so

andrew bucholtz you've done it again

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

speaking of espn and ufc, this is why they put their first main card on espn+

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1087103504714526720

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
all of those new subscribers were me wanting to watch the sri lanka vs new zealand cricket series

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Feels Villeneuve posted:

all of those new subscribers were me wanting to watch the sri lanka vs new zealand cricket series

It was actually to watch SPAL and Bologna play out a 1-1 draw.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1088453146597154816

ESPNFL has gone from begging people to watch what is far and away the worst of the 4 all star games and now are moving to the "put it on every drat channel" approach

E: here's the release so you don't have to give your browser AIDS by going to AA's lovely site

quote:

ESPN will offer unprecedented coverage of the 2019 Pro Bowl with four different networks – ESPN, ESPN Deportes, ABC and Disney XD (for the first time) – carrying the matchup of AFC vs. NFC stars on Sunday, Jan. 27, at 3 p.m. ET from Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Fla.

Quarterbacks Patrick Mahomes (AFC/Chiefs) and Russell Wilson (NFC/Seahawks), who led their respective teams to the NFL Playoffs, are among the marquee players in this year’s Pro Bowl. The telecast will feature in-game audio of the Pro Bowl quarterbacks and captains, all of whom will wear microphones. Other planned enhancements include C360 cams on the goal posts, Ref cams and Line-to-Gain cam.

ESPN’s Monday Night Football commentator team of Joe Tessitore, Jason Witten, Booger McFarland and Lisa Salters will call the action for ESPN, ABC and Disney XD, while Eduardo Varela, analyst Pablo Viruega and reporter John Sutcliffe will call the game in Spanish for ESPN Deportes. This will be ESPN’s 15th Pro Bowl telecast and the 24th for ABC. The Pro Bowl will also be available via the ESPN app.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So they're not even doing a multicast thing where they have different broadcasts, just putting Booger and Witten on 3 different channels and having a spanish speaking crew for Deportes?

I can't figure out what this is supposed to accomplish.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

So they're not even doing a multicast thing where they have different broadcasts, just putting Booger and Witten on 3 different channels and having a spanish speaking crew for Deportes?

I can't figure out what this is supposed to accomplish.

Artificially inflate the ratings?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Artificially inflate the ratings?

ding ding ding ding

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this isn't a completely new thing

for example, the vma's have aired simultaneously in recent years on mtv's sister networks (and ratings continue to plummet no matter what)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Vertical Lime posted:

this isn't a completely new thing

for example, the vma's have aired simultaneously in recent years on mtv's sister networks (and ratings continue to plummet no matter what)

because the VMAs are roughly as relevant to today's music industry as The Travel Agents Association of America's Travel Agent of the Year Awards are to american travel

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1088895532594999296

quote:

This won’t have live matches from any competition, but the replays will be available reasonably quickly. With Champions League matches, SI executives told Patel they can get replays up by the evening of the same day. With Premier League matches, NBC has exclusive replay rights until midnight the day of the match, so there will be a bit longer of a delay, but that’s still not too bad.

lmao v hype to see highlights of 1 team's matches 24 hours after they happen

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Longhorn Network has proven such a thing can exist.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
If people aren't listening to Katie Nolan's "Sports?" podcast you're making a huge mistake. Best ROI in terms of comedy and time investment around.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

surf rock posted:

If people aren't listening to Katie Nolan's "Sports?" podcast you're making a huge mistake. Best ROI in terms of comedy and time investment around.

#dawgpound

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1090006631193010176?s=21

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

yikes

*edit* wasnt it only like weekly or something last year?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm going to wager Fox is going to get pretty much all of ESPN's MLB package come 2021.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Basticle posted:

yikes

*edit* wasnt it only like weekly or something last year?

before the sunday night game

i think this year they're starting the sunday night game at 7

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Has anyone noted that NBCSN is following ESPN's lead in the way they have their scores crawl?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I miss the old Baseball Tonight podcast, to be honest. The one with Keith Law being cranking about things.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

algebra testes posted:

I miss the old Baseball Tonight podcast, to be honest. The one with Keith Law being cranking about things.
I think that was called Baseball Today, but yeah I do too. It’s been gone for like 4 years now

His other ESPN podcast also died pretty fast

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

surf rock posted:

One of the only podcasts I listen to a new episode day of release. Always puts me in a good mood. If you like Katie Nolan at all you'll like the podcast.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1091345560580313088

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Huh, a league itself entering the bidding process is a new one on me.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

what the gently caress

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm not surprised given how many teams are on the fox RSNs, but I don't know how I feel about this.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s especially infuriating considering the owners have spent the last four months putting locks on their wallets to the point where the two marquee free agents are still unsigned two weeks before ST which I don’t think has happened before

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s especially infuriating considering the owners have spent the last four months putting locks on their wallets to the point where the two marquee free agents are still unsigned two weeks before ST which I don’t think has happened before

It happened in the 1980's! It's called collusion.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

It happened in the 1980's! It's called collusion.
I think Dawson was the only big FA still available then

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/andrewmarchand/status/1092188525687173120?s=21

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Holy poo poo.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i hope LeBatard spills the details on this because holy poo poo

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Makes sense guy has been hacking his way onto lebatard for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/austinkarp/status/1092432971464876033?s=21

they deserved it