Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
dumptruck_ds continues his awesome Quake videos with a short retrospective of Marcher Fortress: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SiSHzeHFYY

And if you didn't see his previous video about some other classic maps, check that out too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L17bDzkctCY

Really good choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Parachute posted:

ok but who would win in a fight him or jacket from hlm?

hacker. can't imagine jacket has great peripheral vision in those masks.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

What is this?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/769480/ProBoon/

And is even legal to sell that? Because I see lots of Doom content in the video.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

Pathos posted:

I’m also getting these. Really weird. Fantastic game, though.

For those that have the OpenGL stutter bug in Ion Maiden, open the console with CTRL+Shift+~ and type r_maxfps 0

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Turin Turambar posted:

What is this?

And is even legal to sell that? Because I see lots of Doom content in the video.

looks like freedoom assets.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jose Mengelez posted:

looks like freedoom assets.

Ohh.

Still, you have to wonder who's going to buy that... there are free wads/TCs with a much more elaborated and polished aspect than that.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 23, 2019

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Even stranger it seems to be using UE4. Hmm

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08RvlguSv5w

When I brush my teeth I look like doomguy.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Turin Turambar posted:

What is this?

I mean, Space Trucker's still on Steam.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I played the new Ion Maiden map and I'm torn on it. I really liked the other levels and was hoping the new enemies and guns would be cool but ehh. The flying dudes are ok but the green ones don't really do anything, and the other ones are like the floaty dudes in duke that shoot rockets.

As for the new gun, I don't really see a use for it? It's so slow, and it takes a lot of shots to down the enemy that uses it.

finally, there were WAY TOO MANY of the head spider things. They were fine in the other levels because they were sparse but they were dumped all over this map and it sucks. It takes too long to put a gun away and bring out the baton.

Also there's a bottle of soap in the bathroom with OGAY on it and for a moment I thought I was playing shadow warrior.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Are you aiming for heads? Even on the highest difficulty all the human enemies die in a headshot from anything other than the revolver. The boltcaster is especially good at that - and at one-shotting the little headcrabby spiders. The other option to quickly deal with them is the revolver secondary fire - the lock-on almost always hits them. Crouching down and using the shotgun or boltcaster also works, because the crouch puts you insanely low to the ground. Don't try to melee them, they're a melee enemy, why would you play on their field?

Also fun thing about the boltcaster - it has 3 fire modes: Singlefire, Holding Alt-fire a little bit to get a 5-bolt spread in a horizontal line - and holding down altfire until it overloads and turns into a machine gun you can't stop firing for a few seconds.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I played it again and I think part of my issue is that using opengl I have a noticeable mouse lag and 60fps doesnt feel smooth, even though it's a locked 60. Changing to classic renderer fixes the mouse lag but the 60fps doesn't feel like 60. It dipped down to 40 when some explosions went off in the outdoor area, and I'm on a decent cpu and a 1080 playing at 1080p. There aren't even any settings to tweak, and I don't remember the previous versions of this playing this rough.

As for the guns, a headshot with the bolt kills fast sure but so does a shotgun, and the spider things love to hop over the bolt when I shoot at them. I'm playing on the third highest difficulty setting because the easier modes don't have enough things to shoot.

I'm having more fun with the level the second time through, I just wish the performance got better instead of worse.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So if you want the bombs to home in, you have to hold the fire button until the throw gauge starts to sparkle a bit.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Overbite posted:

I played the new Ion Maiden map and I'm torn on it. I really liked the other levels and was hoping the new enemies and guns would be cool but ehh. The flying dudes are ok but the green ones don't really do anything, and the other ones are like the floaty dudes in duke that shoot rockets.

As for the new gun, I don't really see a use for it? It's so slow, and it takes a lot of shots to down the enemy that uses it.

finally, there were WAY TOO MANY of the head spider things. They were fine in the other levels because they were sparse but they were dumped all over this map and it sucks. It takes too long to put a gun away and bring out the baton.

Also there's a bottle of soap in the bathroom with OGAY on it and for a moment I thought I was playing shadow warrior.

I had trouble figuring out the point of the crossbow too, it looks cool though. I settled on using it to head shot far away guys, its alt fire would be useful against enemies with lots of health which aren't in this map.
The flying guys don't really do much except block your shots, they sort of push you out of cover.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Yeah going through the weapons we got, by the number key

1. baton
2. Revolver
3. shotgun
4. SMG
5. minigun
6. bowling bomb
7. grenade launcher which is also the shotgun alt fire? why does this have its own slot?
8. crossbow

Maybe they're holding back some crazy weapon that will be fun to use. The bowling bombs used to be this but they nerfed the homing and now they're like grenades that don't go as far

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Overbite posted:

Maybe they're holding back some crazy weapon that will be fun to use. The bowling bombs used to be this but they nerfed the homing and now they're like grenades that don't go as far

You hold it down to charge up the homing now.

Build engine question: with destroyable walls is there a rule that the new surfaces must be all the same broken rock texture?

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 24, 2019

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So I installed the latest drivers and did a sweep of my pc for old crud and cleaned things up, now Ion Maiden runs buttery smooth. It's a lot more enjoyable like this! I went thought the new level again for the third time today. Still not 100% sold on the crossbow but maybe it's just a bad map for this weapon, everything is so close up.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Overbite posted:

So I installed the latest drivers and did a sweep of my pc for old crud and cleaned things up, now Ion Maiden runs buttery smooth. It's a lot more enjoyable like this! I went thought the new level again for the third time today. Still not 100% sold on the crossbow but maybe it's just a bad map for this weapon, everything is so close up.

I am loving the charged shot. It is great in that open courtyard, and a few other spots.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Ion Maiden needs toggles for switch-on-pickup and especially for auto-reload.

In playing the new level tonight, I realized that my Y-Axis aiming was way slow. In the options, both X and Y were both set to 1.0, which is the max. I tried to compensate by lowering X sensitivity and then boosting the global, but that felt worse.

I guess it might be a Build thing, to have a slow Y-Axis. I wonder why it didn't stand out to me when I played the game a few days before the update; probably because there were hardly any enemies above you in the first set of levels, and none that are flying around. But in the new level I kept getting annoyed at the Y-Axis.

I thought the new level was excellent, BTW. Heavy shades of Blood Episode 2.

Blood Episode 2 needs it's own sequel.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Plan Z posted:

So if you want the bombs to home in, you have to hold the fire button until the throw gauge starts to sparkle a bit.

Oh, so that's why none of my bowling bombs were homing.

Thanks!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Oh, so that's why none of my bowling bombs were homing.

Thanks!

I was real disappointed at first, but I just decided to screw with them on the city level a bit. I guess it was kinda easy to spam throw them at low power.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Ok, after bouncing off of Blood like a dozen times, I swallowed my pride and played on the second skill level and finished episode 1.

Blood is good, holy moly.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Mister No posted:

Ok, after bouncing off of Blood like a dozen times, I swallowed my pride and played on the second skill level and finished episode 1.

Blood is good, holy moly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Easy mode is in fact good

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Those Pro Blood videos are very good

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Honestly in Build games "easy mode" is hard mode, and "hard mode" is flat out impossible. Those games are all insanely difficult and I have no idea why they were designed that way.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

I play every game I can on Ultimate Candyass Mode I love every fucken second of it and you can't stop me!!!

That's a lie, Thief needs to be played on the highest setting for those tasty extra objectives. Blood's second easiest is the best because it has the perfect enemy count per level. I quite like Ion Maiden's balancing too, not too hard, not too easy. Although I will bitch that the spider head guys do a ludicrous amount of damage per hit. It's kind of strange because it doesn't seem like any other enemy does that much damage.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Easy mode on Blood can be the most difficult one if you play it vanilla DOS version.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

People playing on the difficulty that brings them the most joy is good and should be encouraged.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
When I first played Doom shareware I put it on ITYTD and used IDDQD.

I was not blessed with common sense :saddowns:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Keiya posted:

People playing on the difficulty that brings them the most joy is good and should be encouraged.

:discourse:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
People should play whatever setting they like but in the early FPS thread they do have to expect some light ribbing for playing on babby mode.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Hell, UV was kind of unthinkable to the average person for years until you could actually play with WASD and mouselook (with a stable framerate).

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I usually play on the higher settings because they usually add more enemies. Doom on anything lower than Ultra Violence feels so empty

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Overbite posted:

I usually play on the higher settings because they usually add more enemies. Doom on anything lower than Ultra Violence feels so empty

Yeah on doom i do uv with godmode cuz i want the most enemies

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Convex posted:

When I first played Doom shareware I put it on ITYTD and used IDDQD.

I was not blessed with common sense :saddowns:

The huge number of kids who played shareware Doom with all weapons and god mode really shouldn't be forgotten. Show me someone who grew up with Doom who claims to not know what IDKFA does, and I'll show you a liar.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ponzicar posted:

The huge number of kids who played shareware Doom with all weapons and god mode really shouldn't be forgotten. Show me someone who grew up with Doom who claims to not know what IDKFA does, and I'll show you a liar.

Yeah, back in the day I played all FPS games with cheats. Why wouldn’t you want to use your favorite weapons from the get-go and with constant ammo?

I still use cheats sometimes when playing old games I’ve never played before, because what is the point of playing those when you don’t have nostalgia and then can’t finish them?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'd just rather spend my time shooting bad guys then reloading until i can figure out how to get the right straferun angle when entering a room or making sure to dodge that one fireball i didnt see or some poo poo, esp since i like to play slaughtermaps

site fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 24, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
lmao if you didn't spent hours nuking deer in Turok 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009