Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

RBX posted:

People that enjoy cod and enjoy Pubg are looking for two completely different things. Blackout is to Pubg as LoL is to DOTA 2.
The COD game that prominently features a PUBG mode and also sold 400 billion units in 2 months begs to differ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Eh he’s got a point though. Apart from BR the two games aren’t even close.

That’s like saying Counter Strike and CoD are the same because they both have TDM.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

absolutely atrocious

I like the new engine but cannot arse myself into playing ultimate team again. Also the xbox isn't hooked up to a real TV right now so I don't play any games on it.

They make fake tvs with real hdmi ports?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

American McGay posted:

The COD game that prominently features a PUBG mode and also sold 400 billion units in 2 months begs to differ.

That perfectly makes my point thanks.

Blackout is the easier simplified version of Pubg with all the problems that entails that LoL has always dealt with.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Real hurthling! posted:

They make fake tvs with real hdmi ports?

They make computer monitors without audio out with HDMI ports.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
why do laptops never have inputs for video?

or do they now I haven't bought a new computer in like 10 years

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Miracast or those airplay servers or whatever are about as close as you can get, I think.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cause they try to keep it small

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Intel&Sebastian posted:

What inputs would you have?

Some older laptops for consumers used to have options for composite or rf input available, usually on the same laptops that had composite outputs, but these days you're just going to buy a USB capture device if you really need the functionality. Especially since nobody has camcorders or whatever that has to spit out video in real time for capture, instead of just moving a file over USB.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
idk I just don't understand why they haven't always had whatever the modern input is at the time if they weren't particularly space/weight conscious. Like an hdmi in now so you could use it as a gaming monitor if you wanted.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Intel&Sebastian posted:

idk I just don't understand why they haven't always had whatever the modern input is at the time if they weren't particularly space/weight conscious. Like an hdmi in now so you could use it as a gaming monitor if you wanted.

Concern-trolling about film and television piracy, probably.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

dont be mean to me posted:

Concern-trolling about film and television piracy, probably.

Lol no, it would be more about it costing much more for the manufacturers to shell out for the right chipsets to handle the input and switching. Same reason most desktop video cards don't do video input, instead having manufacturers just tell you to buy capture hardware for that.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This would actually be great because then I could have my Xbox plugged into my laptop and watch dvds or Blu-rays on the laptop’s screen. With a long enough cable I could watch the movie in my bedroom.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Xbox can do “game streaming” to any PC or tablet running Windows 10 that’s on the same WiFi network. I can’t image the latency is good but it’s a thing. Also can’t do movies that way, cause licensing rights are dumb.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

runchild posted:

Xbox can do “game streaming” to any PC or tablet running Windows 10 that’s on the same WiFi network. I can’t image the latency is good but it’s a thing. Also can’t do movies that way, cause licensing rights are dumb.

Wait a minute, Xbox has remote play via a Windows 10 PC? So I can connect my controller to my laptop and play my Xbox on it?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

That's it precisely. It actually works pretty well with very little lag.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Both systems have really cool features they don’t advertise like that Xbox one and PS4s shareplay

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Holy hell that is awesome! Had no idea, and here I was really hoping they implement some sort of remote play for the next generation.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The only catch is you have to be on the network. Cant do it over internet afaik

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Real hurthling! posted:

That's fine. Always thought remote play was an amazing feature on PS4 and wished it was on Xbox as well.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah, it requires at least the appearance of being on the same local network, so you can con it with a remote VPN but it's a pain in the rear end. PS4 gives zero fucks and will work from anywhere, of course with the requisite lag, but people have had a great time with less timing-intensive games (e.g. turn-based games or low-risk resource gathering in FF14 from the other side of the world).

In both cases just about anything that isn't a game will be blocked, though.

Blind Rasputin posted:

This would actually be great because then I could have my Xbox plugged into my laptop and watch dvds or Blu-rays on the laptop’s screen. With a long enough cable I could watch the movie in my bedroom.

An impossibly large external optical drive? Yes, yes!!!

Serious question, though, is this that much of a thing for you guys? Are you not redeeming your digital copies that are included with the majority of physical copies sold and intended for this very purpose? I have a Blu-ray drive but pretty much exclusively use it for ripping. Because gently caress actually using a Blu-ray disc with the fuckery of getting to the menu and poo poo when I can just re-encode or even remux the bastard into a super-flexible file I can use anywhere.

I've been slowly but surely re-encoding my things into 1080p MP4's with AAC audio (because no one I know has any setup beyond stereo, else I'd remux something as appropriate), generally 4 gig files, poo poo rules because it'll work on anything newer than an Xbox One (the first Xbox) and looks great on anything that's not a 4-figure cost TV set (which, again, no one I know other than myself has).

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 23, 2019

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

univbee posted:

I've been slowly but surely re-encoding my things into 1080p MP4's with AAC audio (because no one I know has any setup beyond stereo, else I'd remux something as appropriate), generally 4 gig files, poo poo rules because it'll work on anything newer than an Xbox One (the first Xbox) and looks great on anything that's not a 4-figure cost TV set (which, again, no one I know other than myself has).

4 gigs for a 1080p movie, good lord - you're either expert-level at h265 encoding or you've got a drive full of movies that look like hot rear end

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
considering who we're talking to I'm gonna bet very good at encoding

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Ahhh yeah didn't even look at that

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's been a long rear end time since I've pirated any movies but I do recall some of the better encoding teams starting to near that level of compression without looking really bad back when I was so I'm sure it's possible now.

I am an old person now so I just wait until something is between 5 and 15 dollars on blu ray and then buy it and never watch it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It does depend on the source material and the runtime we're talking about, obviously a film that's breaking 2.5 hours and wicked-grainy is going to run into trouble down in 4 gig territory, but then I give it more leeway or whatever. Animation compresses really well, you get a bit more mileage out of a cinemascope film since there are less pixels (e.g. instead of a full 1920x1080 it's 1920x800 or some such), stuff like that. Also if all people are used to are cable TV garbage, even at low bitrates it'll still be the clearest picture they've ever seen.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

All my favorite movies are from the 90s and 80s so my files are all Welcome To Graintown

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm curious to know what the absolute lowest bitrate is that you could pull off on something like A Scanner Darkly

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
burp

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
My 4K copy of my 5 minute video of the rom check fail intro screen

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

dont be mean to me posted:

They make computer monitors without audio out with HDMI ports.

Get an HDMI switch that splits out the audio. I can move my computer's second screen, Xbox, switch, and another thing between my monitor and my TV and the audio comes out my sound bar or the line in on my PC.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm curious to know what the absolute lowest bitrate is that you could pull off on something like A Scanner Darkly

You'd be surprised, depending on your definition of "pull off", and especially if you're allowing the use of x265.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1088481741210247168?s=19

C&C3: Kanes Wrath isn't working just yet, only the mappack for it is purchaseable.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i’m gonna tweet what games i want on gamepass at larry hoyp

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

C&C: Kanye's Wrath. :ye:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
No one structure should need all that power

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

C&C3: Kanes Wrath isn't working just yet, only the mappack for it is purchaseable.

Cool, maybe now I can find someone to farm out that 100 hours in ranked achievement.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

drunkill posted:

Were these good games? I only played Original C&C, and Red Alert and loved those.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Were these good games? I only played Original C&C, and Red Alert and loved those.

Commander's Challenge is the only one I'd say pass on, it's just hard missions, but the rest of them are great and way better than Halo Wars. Fair warning C&C3:TW has some really stupid achievements. Like there is an achievement that you can get permanently locked out of by doing by the tutorial when it asks you to.

E: It's telling me that I don't own any of the Kane's Wrath but I definitely do.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I keep buying all these games on the Marketplace that I sold to Gamestop for .10¢ when I upgraded. :doh: