Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Andrast posted:

Most game genres are meaningless. Like, what even is an RPG these days?

I still maintain that “character action” is the dumbest name possible for a new genre. Like, what the gently caress does that do to differentiate something like Bayonetta from any other action game where you control a character (all of them)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I still maintain that “character action” is the dumbest name possible for a new genre. Like, what the gently caress does that do to differentiate something like Bayonetta from any other action game where you control a character (all of them)?

clearly they need to be called crylikes

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Character action is very dumb. Books on game design always have a section attempting to even properly define what a 'game' is and usually just talk in circles till they give up. Sections on genre are even worse since game genres are completely useless and vague except people often use them very specifically but never in a universally agreed upon way. Was it this thread that someone was arguing Secret of Mana isn't an action rpg since arpg has to mean a Diablo-ish game?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Don’t even need a Switch to play the latest version.

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Dance-2019-Wii-Standard/dp/B07DDD9CPN/
I do a double-take every time I see one of those in a store.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s not the best name but that’s just how it goes for some genres. I think metroidvania and roguelike are dumb genre names for most games that the terms are applied to too but I’ll still use the terms.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rolo posted:

Stupid hardware needs the most attention.
:golfclap:

Ciaphas posted:

i've also heard that the usb-c standard itself is less a standard and more a vague kinda guideline with a lot of baked in problems, but i haven't read it myself
USB-C can be basically anything thanks to “alternate modes” (which basically lets it become a protocol agnostic cable/port) which is really cool, but implemention wise can be a train wreck if done improperly.

Like there’s some base level standardized USB initialization handshake stuff where the devices chit chat about what’s needed (like “can you support this alt-mode/protocol?”), and various power profiles for charging which are standardized, but optional, so coordinating that stuff is also part of the handshake. If stuff isn’t compatible it just doesn’t go beyond the base USB connection.

Anyway the Switch/dock does things improperly, and unnecessarily took a proprietary route. Off the top of my head it fucks up the power handshake and makes assumptions about the power source which aren’t a given. That’s probably where the bricking happens, whether it’s something with the power supplies or the docks themselves loving up (or combination of both). A lot of the other USB power delivery (higher output) issues have been due to devices and/or power supplies screwing this part up in various ways.

On the proprietary part of things, video (DisplayPort) + power + USB over USB-C was and is basically the most common usage, I think DP alt-mode is even part of the original standard (as opposed to something like Thunderbolt, which is Intel’s own alt-mode). But Nintendo did their own thing, or used some random other proprietary one used in Samsung DeX docks apparently. The dock hardware does HDMI conversion, but that’s par for the course.

Ideally the Switch would support standard output (including non docked video output!), and properly do the power handshake to not blow up. Like basically everything else at this point. I have the tiny shell with official dock guts...and third party power brick (Xiaomi/ZMI 45W). Stuff compliant with the 3A/15V profile should work but it’s a gamble cause Nintendo’s side of things. Main reason I’d want a Jumpdock is that it does video output without power. Would be nice for shorter TV sessions at friends’ places without needing to hook up everything.

Tl;dr USB-C can be complex but Nintendo still hosed up on their own.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Video games have silly genre names but I've never been particularly confused by character action or immersive sim after seeing a few examples

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
has anyone jumped in and said "dark souls is a jrpg" yet?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

dark souls are stored in the balls

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
An RPG is any game where the numbers determining your characters abilities or attributes go up over the course of gameplay, and a JRPG is an RPG made in Japan. So how could "Dark Souls is a JRPG" be controversial?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

An RPG is any game where the numbers determining your characters abilities or attributes go up over the course of gameplay, and a JRPG is an RPG made in Japan. So how could "Dark Souls is a JRPG" be controversial?

Glad to hear that i am vindicated in calling Smash Ultimate a JRPG

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gripweed posted:

What is an ARPG then?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

dark souls are stored in the balls

I don't want to hear about your "furtive pygmy"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

JBP posted:

What is an ARPG then?

Call of duty zombies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

JBP posted:

What is an ARPG then?

an RPG made in America

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh man, this post-Bowser Odyssey game is... Extensive.

I love it :swoon:

Hunting down the paintings, going back and clearing out original moons, plus the extra ones. The only one that's pissing me off so far is the one in Dark Side, where you have to run a gauntlet of rocks for a key, and then long jump back away from a huge bullet bill.

The trick to that one is just keep on long-jumping on the way back, don't try to steer or re-orient yourself. Just ZL+A repeatedly and hope for the best.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Knorth posted:

Video games have silly genre names but I've never been particularly confused by character action or immersive sim after seeing a few examples

It’s not really a confusing term as much as it’s really dumb and a pretty redundant set of words (how many action games don’t involve controlling a character?)

Are there any Ace Combat ripoffs on the switch? I’m hooked on 7 and I’d at least like to be able to play a shadow of the experience on the go.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gripweed posted:

an RPG made in America

lol :hmmyes:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

JBP posted:

What is an ARPG then?

Zelda

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

It’s not really a confusing term as much as it’s really dumb and a pretty redundant set of words (how many action games don’t involve controlling a character?)

Are there any Ace Combat ripoffs on the switch? I’m hooked on 7 and I’d at least like to be able to play a shadow of the experience on the go.

Consider being less pedantic then /shrug

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is God of War an ARPG too then?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

JBP posted:

No that's a character action game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

JBP posted:

God of War is a pet-raising sim.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Knorth posted:

Consider being less pedantic then /shrug

Never.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Been at work, is Smite available yet? It wasn’t downloadable earlier today at like 1:30 cst.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anyone play Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk? I'm recently bedridden and looking for a turn based game with a lot of hours, it looks like exactly my poo poo but I'm worried it is too complex/difficult to get the hang of? Anyone who played it is it easy to learn? Does it do a good job explaining everything?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
RPGs, or as I like to call them, "Ultimalikes" or sometimes "Wizardrylikes"

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Anyone play Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk? I'm recently bedridden and looking for a turn based game with a lot of hours, it looks like exactly my poo poo but I'm worried it is too complex/difficult to get the hang of? Anyone who played it is it easy to learn? Does it do a good job explaining everything?

There's a demo for it on the eShop, it's huge and covers the first 5+ hours of the game or so. Save file transfers to the full version too.

It's a fairly easy game by default and you can turn the difficulty down even farther if you want to. Complexity, there's a lot of stuff going on and you're kind of thrown into it pretty hard because of there being so many factors in character creation (many of which you have no idea what are important for, and many of which are permanent and effect your characters' usefulness for the entire game). The game does have some fairly decent tutorials that cover most stuff, but there's no way to see them again after you dismiss them. The game also never explains some things, and some other things nobody is even sure what do to this day.

But as to how much of that complex stuff you need to know, not really that much for the most part. Look for big numbers and obvious synergies with classes/gear/skills and you'll be fine to clear the whole game. You don't even game over if your party wipes, you just lose a bunch of gold and continue on as normal.

If you're looking for a heavily gameplay focused dungeon crawler I would go with almost any Etrian Odyssey game over LoR. But LoR is fairly entertaining, and the story starts getting real good about ~1/3 of the way through.

Look at Octopath too if you haven't tried that one yet, there's also a very good demo for that one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

RPGs, or as I like to call them, "Ultimalikes" or sometimes "Wizardrylikes"

It all went downhill after The Bard's Tale.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There's a demo for it on the eShop, it's huge and covers the first 5+ hours of the game or so. Save file transfers to the full version too.

It's a fairly easy game by default and you can turn the difficulty down even farther if you want to. Complexity, there's a lot of stuff going on and you're kind of thrown into it pretty hard because of there being so many factors in character creation (many of which you have no idea what are important for, and many of which are permanent and effect your characters' usefulness for the entire game). The game does have some fairly decent tutorials that cover most stuff, but there's no way to see them again after you dismiss them. The game also never explains some things, and some other things nobody is even sure what do to this day.

But as to how much of that complex stuff you need to know, not really that much for the most part. Look for big numbers and obvious synergies with classes/gear/skills and you'll be fine to clear the whole game. You don't even game over if your party wipes, you just lose a bunch of gold and continue on as normal.

If you're looking for a heavily gameplay focused dungeon crawler I would go with almost any Etrian Odyssey game over LoR. But LoR is fairly entertaining, and the story starts getting real good about ~1/3 of the way through.

Look at Octopath too if you haven't tried that one yet, there's also a very good demo for that one.

Sounds like I'll try LoR, I loved Octopath and Ill have lots of time to figure out stuff I dont understand. Id love to play an Etrian Odyssey but I dont have a 3DS only a switch.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Unruly Heroes trip report:

I've only played the first three levels, so I don't have a fully formed opinion yet, but here are my thoughts.

The game is very pretty. Each level is visually distinct so far, and like a lot of Rayman Legends levels, each has a gimmick. Mechanics wise, it's basically halfway between Rayman Legends and, surprisingly enough, New Super Mario Bros--if a character runs out of health, they get bubbled and another character can pop the bubble to get them back into the level (with a quarter health bar left). Characters all have the same "movesets" though two of the characters have a double jump, while the other two can float, Peach style. There are some "puzzles" that require you to switch to a specific character to activate a statue to unlock an ability (create a platform, float, and launch a Bubble Bobble projectile). Switching characters is done by pressing the L button (and not the R button, which is dash, and yes you will probably forget that and send your character flying into a spike pit at least one to five times).

Overall the presentation is pretty good, but there's some messiness. There's some occasional frame hitching, especially on loading screens, and the platforming is not as smooth as Rayman Legends was. I know that RL is a lot to live up to, but there's a suprsingly small window between jumping up onto a platform and missing it. You also can't jump up through platforms, which is a pet peeve of mine.

There's also been a couple things I've done so far that I don't think were intended--the first boss fight was more boring than anything else because there's a platform you can safely stand on and just spam your ranged attack until the boss dies, and in the third level there's a wrecking ball you're supposed to hit across a level and jump over it so it can smack a structure on the other side--but it's easier to just stand by the structure and smack the ball into it again and again. It could be that those are intentional cheeses built into the game, but it's probably more indicative that they didn't put as much thought into level design as they should have.

While single player is totally fine, I get the impression that it's probably more fun with more than one person, like NSMB before it. The second level boss took me a couple tries before I defeated it (don't be like me and forget you have a dash button!) and it would have probably been easier if I had another player there to help keep the gimmick in check while I fought the boss instead of having to manage both the boss and the gimmick at once.

So far I'd say it's probably worth the $20, but don't go in expecting the same level of polish that its appearance would suggest.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Frankston posted:

I'm hankerin' for a new metroidvania. What's good that isn't Hollow Knight or SteamWorld Dig 2?

Momadora Reverie Under The Moonlight is very good, but also pretty short. ~6 hours from what I remember when I played it on PC several years ago.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I sunk a lot of hours in to coven of dusk and I really wished I had bought that megaten knockoff Child of Light instead.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Reality Winter posted:

I sunk a lot of hours in to coven of dusk and I really wished I had bought that megaten knockoff Child of Light instead.

what didnt you like about coven of dusk?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pikuniku is fun but short.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

They should be called combo brawlers, since every game I've heard called 'character action' (Platinum/Capcom games mostly) has fighting centered around constantly chaining attacks.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

but lots of games have combo counters???

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Role playing is just as arbitrary, given that you play a role in every game. So is "fighting game", as lots of games have fighting. Idk why character action would stick out as arbitrary.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Speaking of Metroidvanias...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOHX_VNoZk0&t=720s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smSXLiLGRDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYPgwcU-SSQ

Umihara Kawase is now a Metroidvania

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I wish they'd go with real genres. Like drama game and comedy game.