Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Augus posted:

The cool thing about JoJo is it is full of great, intentional jokes. So you don’t even need to watch it ironically to think it’s hilarious!

Arakis just got a way with words that I appreciate. Most people would just have Joseph say that confronting DIO sent a chill down his spine but Araki says it "felt like someone shoved an icicle up my rear end"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
"How many people have you killed already?"
"....How many loaves of bread have you eaten in your life?"

is legitimately a brilliant exchange

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Arakis just got a way with words that I appreciate. Most people would just have Joseph say that confronting DIO sent a chill down his spine but Araki says it "felt like someone shoved an icicle up my rear end"

And then the crunchyroll subs say 'it made me feel cold' :geno:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
they explicitly did not do that

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Expect My Mom posted:

they explicitly did not do that

It was a general joke about some of the extremely anaemic translations of great manga lines, like Rohan's 'I REFUSE' speech and Kira & Jotaro's exchange

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Gildiss posted:

Part 4 had that painfully generic anime OP for a while there and that puts it at the bottom of the Jojo Part OP power rankings.
I mean... I can't disagree. Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town, while good, isn't as great as some others, especially in terms of distinct visuals, since it's mostly characters doing poses and flying through the screen. Obviously nothing against people who love chase, but it is my least favorite opening, even as a part of "we're getting closer to danger" narrative. It just feels like one of those edgy Sonic songs everybody makes fun of.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I would sincerely enjoy seeing more part 5 predictions based on the OP, because I love to see how well people can interpret foreshadowing, or how much non-existent foreshadowing they imagine / insert.
There is something that's been on my mind for awhile. It's a simple detail, so I won't spoiler it because there's no way in hell I'm right, but main theme has a weird glitchy effect at one part, which might relate to... something? Great Days had a similar thing going with it's sound effects, so maybe we'll get a villain who can corrupt reality somehow? The only thing that I can imagine is something like one of those videogame corruptions. I would say that Giorno turning into a pixelated mess is too weird, but we did have a dude who deflated a boat.
Of course Bloody Stream also had pauses and a few sound effects going, so I might be completely off. Still, hope they still change the opening like they did with DIO and Kira.
Or maybe it's petrification powers? There is a statue in OP and mural in ED. That feels closer, but considering it's the first opening and second ending, I doubt it.

It's like trying to predict a kid who plays pretend and just yells the most random poo poo, but drat it's fun.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

multijoe posted:

And then the crunchyroll subs say 'it made me feel cold' :geno:

My blood runs cold. J. Geil's name was changed to Centerfold.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Chase owns. I don't understand calling Like A Sonic Song. I honestly just think its anime fans that don't like punk music. The Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town OP is really boring in its visuals imo, but Chase has timing, Kira cutting his nails to the birds Shigechi feeding flying away, it has imagery, the road lines appearing over Aya and Yukako, the Sheer Heart Attack skull destroying the JoJo heart, the bloody suitcases in Kira's closet.

Chase owns!

multijoe posted:

It was a general joke about some of the extremely anaemic translations of great manga lines, like Rohan's 'I REFUSE' speech and Kira & Jotaro's exchange
I feel like they fixed I Refuse? And I dont remember the watch exchange being bad. They did goof up the guys masturbating bif tho iirc

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Chase is the best anime opening of 2004.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah that owns!!! Its 1999 baybe!!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sonic buttrock owns, eat it haters!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I enjoy punk/Sonic buttrock, but it sounds like the singer is physically struggling to sing the chorus in a bad way and I don't like it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
When it was airing i thought he was saying "Chances" rather than "Chase you".

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

Chase owns. I don't understand calling Like A Sonic Song. I honestly just think its anime fans that don't like punk music. The Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town OP is really boring in its visuals imo, but Chase has timing, Kira cutting his nails to the birds Shigechi feeding flying away, it has imagery, the road lines appearing over Aya and Yukako, the Sheer Heart Attack skull destroying the JoJo heart, the bloody suitcases in Kira's closet.

I wouldn't call myself an anime fan at all, but I did prefer jazzy openings that came before. I was pretty surprised to see that it wasn't liked that much. The visuals are hella cool though, even if I needed some time to get used to them after every opening had like every color in each frame. I think another part of it was the fact that while story got darker, it wasn't that dark. It still had plenty of wacky staff happening. But again, that's just me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chase is dismal. Most punk is garbage musically and Chase is bad even as punk.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Chase is an okay song but the visuals for that op are loving incredible.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

[quote="Expect My Mom" post=""491947919"]

I feel like they fixed I Refuse? And I dont remember the watch exchange being bad. They did goof up the guys masturbating bif tho iirc
[/quote]

It's not terrible but I remember being annoyed that Rohan says that he likes telling strong people no instead of people who think they're strong.

Like even in a hopeless situation where he's been pinned and is helpless Rohan still won't concede that they're tough.

At least they fixed it from "people I think are strong" which was like the exact opposite of what was going on

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CJ posted:

I prefer to consume anime with a healthy amount of ironic detachment.

I thought these kind of posters had been purged from the forums

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also he doesn't refer to himself in the first person or use the phrase 'hot poo poo'. Just a very tepid, if eventually accurate interpretation of the line

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

What would a Stand from supreme ironic detachment look like?

It'd look like the opposite of an electrical outlet.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
chase fuckin rips. the lyrics are about how much josuke wants to kick kira's rear end

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Chase is an okay song but the visuals for that op are loving incredible.

:emptyquote:

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I like Chase's visuals, and I like how it sounds. But I will always be disappointed with how short the full song is.

STAND PROUD I didn't like at first but when the full song came out with the sick riffs/solos and it being a decently long song, I absolutely fell in love with it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The only version of Stand Proud I care about is the Drunk Jotaro Kareoke version

https://youtu.be/__jPkucX_CM

(I don't know how to make that embed)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I like all of part 4's openings not just for the songs and visuals themselves but how they progress.

CNBT: Fun weird kooky song showing everyone having fun in this wacky town, absolutely nothing can go wrong.

Chase: Intense shounen high school alt rock about nothing else than how the main character is gonna find and pulverize the villain

Great Days (my favorite): I don't even know what this is it sounds like a 50's sitcom theme or something but it's all about Kira and how he owns and why the gently caress is it backwards now

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Great Days is a strong contender for best Jojo's OP but they're all good.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Great Days and End of The World are my personal favs

and yeah the best thing about JoJo OPs is that none of them forgettable which rules for something with eight openings, soon to be nine. I can hum all of them at any point, whereas something like My Hero Academia that has like half the amount I can't remember past the first one and barely that

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
MHA is my new favorite anime and I still skip the OPs after seeing them the first time.

Jojo is just...you don't ever skip the OPs.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I have to admit that i forgot Chase was a thing until i happened to watch an episode of the dub that had it a couple of weeks ago.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not that big of a fan of Fighting Gold.

Expect My Mom posted:

Great Days and End of The World are my personal favs

:same:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm not that big of a fan of Fighting Gold.

Hard agree.

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
I'm so glad I found this anime. It's important to take time each week to enjoy beautiful animens.

This is my favorite season so far! I have even held myself back from the manga so as not to spoil it... though it sounds like people found it confusing? Is there any chance the anime might change that? Also Fighting Gold is the best OP :colbert:

I have read most of the sixth part, and I really hope this studio does it as well!

source: @mezzofortes

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
So for the longest time, the only way to read Part 5 in English was through translations by people who had barely any grasp of Japanese, not even katakana. They mostly just made stuff up, a lot of personality was lost and some Stand abilities and events just made no loving sense (some stuff is still weird, but we'll get to that in a few months) making Part 5 a disliked series. It wasn't until Daxing Dan and JoJo's Colored Adventure actually put together a quality translation that English speaking fans really could get into Part 5.

So while, yeah, some Bizarre happens in Part 5 that makes Snakebrick look totally logical, the problems were intensely magnified by a bad translation

if you wanna talk about Part 6 while you read, here's the JoJo Manga thread where you can do that without spoiling anime only folx

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think one example featuring Polpo (pbuh) is:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Wasn’t the original part 5 translation done by Chinese ESL students or something?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That was Duwang

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah like literally someone after like two weeks of Japanese 101 could tell you that the words Sistine and Michelangelo are in Polpo's text bubble, both totally absent from the first translation

and honestly if Duwang really was some Chinese students uni project, I hope they got an A, because you can read and know exactly what's happening, and also you get to laugh

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 25, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sockser posted:

Wasn’t the original part 5 translation done by Chinese ESL students or something?
Part 5 looked plausible but was poo poo. Duwang was lovely language but the meaning was transmitted. In short, the victor was a beautiful Duwang.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Expect My Mom posted:

and honestly if Duwang really was some Chinese students uni project, I hope they got an A, because you can read and know exactly what's happening, and also you get to laugh

i've heard that they failed the class. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I heard they got an A+ and then everyone stood up and clapped. And that man? Albert Einstein.