Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Seven layoffs, half of which revealed in the article are marketing VPs and an art director. As far as we know, there doesn't seem to be anything to get excited or worried about on the comics end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Madkal posted:

Yea let's not do the whole "I don't like this one book by the creator so everything the creator has ever done is terrible". King's Sheriff of Babylon, Omega Men, Vision, and some issues of Batman have been top notch.

Hot take: the two parter about Batman and Superman going on a double date is the best Batman story of the 21st century

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay checked out Naomi and yeah that was a pretty good first issue and i gotta agree with x-o about that art

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The best books at DC are by Mark Russell, change my mind

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The best books at DC are by Mark Russell, change my mind
Mark Russell's books aren't good. Though if this is a sick burn on the level of "everything DC is putting out is somehow worse than garbage, change my mind" I respect your hot take.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think his novelty kind of just wore off after Flintstones for me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

Okay checked out Naomi and yeah that was a pretty good first issue and i gotta agree with x-o about that art

I知 not familiar with much previous work from Jamal Campbell (I remember liking the art on Prowler) but wow, that was a great way to introduce your stuff to a big audience.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

I’m not familiar with much previous work from Jamal Campbell (I remember liking the art on Prowler) but wow, that was a great way to introduce your stuff to a big audience.

He had an extended run on the main Power Rangers book with Kyle Higgins, and it's good as hell

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Sounds like I'll try to get Naomi next week if there's any left at my shop. I think I only saw the art focused variants by the time I made it there yesterday.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Mark Russell does absolutely nothing for me. The earlier stuff of his left me completely unimpressed-- it had the kind of cynicism that ventriloquizes "wokeness" just through jaundiced irony but is so disaffected and cynical that it winds up advocating for nothing. Snagglepuss was one of the worst comics I read in 2018, totally lazy and insulting to me as a queer person and as a scholar of the period he was writing about. I've written about it before and I don't want to reiterate every single point again, but it was so blisteringly, scathingly sluggish and unfunny that the only conclusion I could come to was that "hey, remember the jokes about Snagglepuss being gay? They're true--- and he's got depression!" was the entirety of the joke. And that loving sucks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess one of the people let go was well liked in the community cuz everyones talking about him this morning

https://twitter.com/dan_werneck/status/1088448447244464131?s=19

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you're sick of Mark Russell's schtick, Wonder Twins looks like it's going to be a pretty breezy light comedy comic.
If you're not, his Vertigo Jesus superhero thing will probably be him dialed to 11.

site posted:

I guess one of the people let go was well liked in the community cuz everyones talking about him this morning

https://twitter.com/dan_werneck/status/1088448447244464131?s=19

So, he was the person behind New Frontier, Solo, Wednesday Comics and Batman Black and White? Salute.

edit:
In the back matter of the latest issue of Bendis' Cover, he confirmed that he'll be writing a Leviathan event with Alex Maleev on art.

quote:

After DETECTIVE #1000, Alex and I will be embarking on a major DC project. It痴 called LEVIATHAN. You will soon hear a lot about it. It痴 something so big, so monumental to the DC Universe, it was worth pausing our numerous creator-owned stuff for. This special event story lets Alex do everything he痴 ever wanted to do at DC.

ee: \/ Wild Storm, dawg.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 24, 2019

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

So, he was the person behind New Frontier, Solo, Wednesday Comics and Batman Black and White? Salute.

These were all very good.

Cancelled my sub for Catwoman (I was on it for Joelle Jones cartooning, not Joelle Jones writing) and Terrifics (I've been buying and not reading it for months). My DC sub list is now down to 0 books again. It seems to always go in cycles, though, so I'm sure I'll come back to them at some point.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Archyduchess posted:

Mark Russell does absolutely nothing for me. The earlier stuff of his left me completely unimpressed-- it had the kind of cynicism that ventriloquizes "wokeness" just through jaundiced irony but is so disaffected and cynical that it winds up advocating for nothing. Snagglepuss was one of the worst comics I read in 2018, totally lazy and insulting to me as a queer person and as a scholar of the period he was writing about. I've written about it before and I don't want to reiterate every single point again, but it was so blisteringly, scathingly sluggish and unfunny that the only conclusion I could come to was that "hey, remember the jokes about Snagglepuss being gay? They're true--- and he's got depression!" was the entirety of the joke. And that loving sucks.

I知 gonna pitch BOOM! a Snagglepuss-inspired series reenvisioning the cast of Garfield as gay AIDS activists at the height of the epidemic in mid-80s New York

I call it THE NERMAL HEART

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Jordan7hm posted:

These were all very good.

Cancelled my sub for Catwoman (I was on it for Joelle Jones cartooning, not Joelle Jones writing) and Terrifics (I've been buying and not reading it for months). My DC sub list is now down to 0 books again. It seems to always go in cycles, though, so I'm sure I'll come back to them at some point.

I think I知 done with Catwoman too. I知 down to Batman, Green Lantern, Shazam, and Young Justice. King, Morrison, Johns, and Bendis. Solid line up, I think.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Open Marriage Night posted:

I think I知 done with Catwoman too. I知 down to Batman, Green Lantern, Shazam, and Young Justice. King, Morrison, Johns, and Bendis. Solid line up, I think.

Now we just need to get them it write a 52 part 2 with that line-up.

I guess I am down to Batman, Detective, Young Justice, Green Lantern, Justice League and.....well Suicide Squad is done, and I am on the fence about Catwoman.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bendis wrotes about a teenager, Morrison somehow works in Lobo, Johns writes a story bringing back the classic Hawkman or whatever, and King writes about Elongated Man attempting suicide once a week.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Barry Convex posted:

I知 gonna pitch BOOM! a Snagglepuss-inspired series reenvisioning the cast of Garfield as gay AIDS activists at the height of the epidemic in mid-80s New York

I... I would read this.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

The goverment antagonists would be the cast of US Acres

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Barry Convex posted:

So that's what happened to Lyman

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jesus. Look at the size of this thing.
https://twitter.com/Freddieart/status/1088846950282203136
The only one of those I read was a Skeletor origin issue cause it had Frazer Irving art

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There were enough He-Man comics to be collected into an omnibus?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Madkal posted:

There were enough He-Man comics to be collected into an omnibus?

He-Man literally shat money for a few years, and everybody wanted a piece. I'm surprised it's less than 1500 pages.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

He-Man literally shat money for a few years

Not during these years. This is all stuff from 2012 on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He-Man_and_the_Masters_of_the_Universe_(2012_DC_comic)

e: Weird. They left out the Injustice crossover. I guess it's because it only ended this month, but it's a bit sad to leave the omni just six issues from a complete thing. If I was gonna get this, I think I'd've been okay with a couple months delay to include it.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 27, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I know of someone who has every He-Man figure ever. Curious to know if he値l pick that up.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Hey folks - saw the first volume of the Snyder written Justice League is out.

Any good?

(For reference, I love his Batman run, was kinda eh on Metal. Oh, and No Justice grabbed my eye too, but I just love Manapaul痴 art.)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's kind of a strange hybrid of Morrison-esque JLA with the DCAU version of JL. It...mostly?...works? It plays with big ideas like THIS ORB CONTAINS THE ESSENCE OF THE UNIVERSE ITSELF or something and it's like, do you actually have any idea what you're doing here my dude? And then however many issues later, whether he has any idea is still kinda up in the air. :v:

But I've enjoyed it more than not. Snyder clearly loves these characters and their voices and personalities come across really well. If you've looked at No Justice, it's mostly just a continuation of that.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
What books do I need to read in order to get a good background for Super Sons? I have read some Batman and stuff, but 0 Superman stuff.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Just read it. Should give you all the info you need in the first three pages.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The stuff that introduced the Superfam (Convergence Superman, Lois and Clark miniseries), and the Tomasi/Gleason 'Superman' series that Super Sons broke off from are great, though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Digital 'Tales From Outer Space' sale.
https://www.comixology.com/DC-Tales-From-Outerspace-Sale/page/20697
Lots of GL and LOSH. If you're trade waiting on Snyder's new JL, the first collection's in there for $6.
I nabbed the LOSH Silver Age collection.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Heroes in Crisis is really bout to do that bullshit huh.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Well we knew something of the like was coming since before it even came out. Doesn't prevent it from being disappointing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

TheHan posted:

Heroes in Crisis is really bout to do that bullshit huh.

Please post spoilers. I am laughing and rolling in this hog poo poo.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Speaking of exactly that bullshit, today's Flash Annual #2 is really really good! Joshua Williamson is really great at mining that bit of superhero melodrama for all it's worth, while also doing some of the transition between Flash #50 and Young Justice #1, and also teasing the big bad things coming in 2019. Plus it's got Scott Kolins stretching himself and doing Mann and Gleason as well as himself in a way that's kinda nuts to look at. I get why people are pissed, really I do, but it's making for some pretty good comics.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Does hic really have a 9 page speech in it

https://twitter.com/illusClaire/status/1090640824537354240?s=19

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
yeah

and basically it's just stating the whole thesis of the series in plain english for anyone that might have missed it, but while superman says it it cuts between Clay Mann doing pinups he's gonna sell for a gazillion based on how good they look, the plot marching ever forward towards That Bullshit, and Superman being sad while Wonder Woman is also sad, but in the back

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I haven't seen anything about it yet is "That Bullshit" the thing we were told by BC months ago? That Wally is the real killer? I was really hoping they'd turn that around after the initial reception to the idea was universally bad.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Mr Hootington posted:

Please post spoilers. I am laughing and rolling in this hog poo poo.

Booster realizes that Wally's body is five days older than it should be through...RNA analysis? Implying that he's in some part involved in the mass slaughter of all these superheroes.
Also this might be more of a personal gripe, but the way King writes Harley is incredibly insufferable. It feels like she has the mentality of a child, and it feels creepy when paired with the way Clay Mann draws women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Re: Heroes in Crisis

https://twitter.com/illusClaire/status/1090643330390728704?s=19

Although that is probably more the fault of the artist and the editors.