Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Motto posted:

but lots of games have combo counters???

That's why the 'brawler' qualifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Kvlt! posted:

what didnt you like about coven of dusk?

I didn't csr fro the story, too anime for me, mostly witch slice of life stuff with too many dumb moments. The dungeons werent as good as some of the etrian odyssey games. The combat systems were interesting though, but a bit bloated, with like 20 dudes in a party.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the only good genre is post-modern rpgs

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There's a demo for it on the eShop, it's huge and covers the first 5+ hours of the game or so.
Oh thanks, I've always read every post about LoR with interest but never even thought to check if there was a demo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Hobo Clown posted:

Is Fitness Boxing actually a decent workout? I remember feeling like Wii Fit was mostly a gimmick.
It's no different than watching a Tae-Bo VHS or whatever. If you put effort into it you'll get something out of it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Holy poo poo, after a quarter century they are finally making a new Umihara Kawase game that doesn't hurt to look at.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

JBP posted:

I wish they'd go with real genres. Like drama game and comedy game.

ah man, this game had it all, it had action, drama, comedy, suspense, and dance.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I really like that one indie documentary game, return of the obra dinn

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I have questions.
https://youtu.be/hDK8FOIwznc

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

You don't want to know the answers

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I want to be the one to defend Gensou SkyDrift so I can tell the haters to "get off my back" but I'm not willing to learn anything about Touhou so the miracle never happen.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

asecondduck posted:

Unruly Heroes trip report:

I've only played the first three levels, so I don't have a fully formed opinion yet, but here are my thoughts.

The game is very pretty. Each level is visually distinct so far, and like a lot of Rayman Legends levels, each has a gimmick. Mechanics wise, it's basically halfway between Rayman Legends and, surprisingly enough, New Super Mario Bros--if a character runs out of health, they get bubbled and another character can pop the bubble to get them back into the level (with a quarter health bar left). Characters all have the same "movesets" though two of the characters have a double jump, while the other two can float, Peach style. There are some "puzzles" that require you to switch to a specific character to activate a statue to unlock an ability (create a platform, float, and launch a Bubble Bobble projectile). Switching characters is done by pressing the L button (and not the R button, which is dash, and yes you will probably forget that and send your character flying into a spike pit at least one to five times).

Overall the presentation is pretty good, but there's some messiness. There's some occasional frame hitching, especially on loading screens, and the platforming is not as smooth as Rayman Legends was. I know that RL is a lot to live up to, but there's a suprsingly small window between jumping up onto a platform and missing it. You also can't jump up through platforms, which is a pet peeve of mine.

There's also been a couple things I've done so far that I don't think were intended--the first boss fight was more boring than anything else because there's a platform you can safely stand on and just spam your ranged attack until the boss dies, and in the third level there's a wrecking ball you're supposed to hit across a level and jump over it so it can smack a structure on the other side--but it's easier to just stand by the structure and smack the ball into it again and again. It could be that those are intentional cheeses built into the game, but it's probably more indicative that they didn't put as much thought into level design as they should have.

While single player is totally fine, I get the impression that it's probably more fun with more than one person, like NSMB before it. The second level boss took me a couple tries before I defeated it (don't be like me and forget you have a dash button!) and it would have probably been easier if I had another player there to help keep the gimmick in check while I fought the boss instead of having to manage both the boss and the gimmick at once.

So far I'd say it's probably worth the $20, but don't go in expecting the same level of polish that its appearance would suggest.

Thanks for this.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

The Bloop posted:

From a few pages ago, but No Reload Heroes is pretty dang fun coop for the price

Thank you I shall have to check that out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My favorite genre is video game.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Mega64 posted:

My favorite genre is video game.

Her Story was ok

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anyone get FutureGrind? Its genre seems to be future extreme sports bi unicycle narrative conspiracy driven platformer.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Now I'm normally a big Touhou fan but I'm not sure if Touhou Kart But Like, Where You Ride The Other Characters is the first thing that comes to mind to do a fangame about. It doesn't look very good visually, either... I don't know what it is with some developers where they get this gorgeous hard-drawn character portrait art but the actual in-game visuals are unlit dogshit.

Kvlt! posted:

Anyone play Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk? I'm recently bedridden and looking for a turn based game with a lot of hours, it looks like exactly my poo poo but I'm worried it is too complex/difficult to get the hang of? Anyone who played it is it easy to learn? Does it do a good job explaining everything?

It's pretty good. There are a bunch of things they don't explain (like what "Lucky Number" does exactly) but it's not like you need optimized characters at the start of the game so you can just coast by for a while. It's a Nippon Ichi game so you know, expect a lot of weird crunchy systems. I'm not bored with it yet.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 25, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JBP posted:

Kind of the other problem is that a lot of game genres have setting expectations (like JRPGs being set in an anarchonistic faux-medieval fantasys setting but with hair gel technology far beyond our own) that aren't actually necessary for the gameplay genre.

That said, some of the examples of unusual takes on game genres can demonstrate why, say, FPSes generally take place in the 20th century onwards and use guns.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

The mainline touhou games are exceptionally good bullet hell games (with the worst character art in basically the entire world that looks like a 12 year old on deviant art is responsible for it), but this looks like a mediocre kart racer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ZUNs art is magnificent

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
I mean sure I guess that's one way to come at it from.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

JBP posted:

I play exclusively Alternative games none of this pop-punk bullshit.

E: sometimes when I'm in the mood for some old school I'll throw on a Prog game.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Fv-O103Gw

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fffffffuck

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kind of the other problem is that a lot of game genres have setting expectations (like JRPGs being set in an anarchonistic faux-medieval fantasys setting but with hair gel technology far beyond our own) that aren't actually necessary for the gameplay genre.

That said, some of the examples of unusual takes on game genres can demonstrate why, say, FPSes generally take place in the 20th century onwards and use guns.

Yeah I agree with this. It amazes me that adding another axis in the delivery method of an experience (which you know a film is doing it too) that definition becomes so complicated. Game feel, visuals, experience, story; all disparate. Cool medium.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Considering the quality of some games that do get released (including Nintendo games themselves at times) this must have been an ADVANCED DEVELOPMENT HELL.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
RIP Metroidvanias

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:yeah:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Coming out and saying 'actually what we made sucks and we need to scrap everything and start over' is a big deal. At least we know what Retro is doing now lol

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

"Please understand"

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

How many people are still at Retro who were responsible for making the first Metroid Prime because honestly that is still the best one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

While it sucks in the short term, overall that's pretty fantastic news. Even if it means the game won't be out until late 2021 at the earliest.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Considering the quality of some games that do get released (including Nintendo games themselves at times) this must have been an ADVANCED DEVELOPMENT HELL.

A First-person shooter/platformer is pretty outside of Nintendo's usual wheelhouse, so it's not entirely surprising they just weren't able to make whatever they were building gel like the original Prime trilogy.

Not to say I think Nintendo's incapable of making a First-person shooter/platformer of course, just that they probably couldn't dial it in specifically to match something originally produced by an entirely different studio.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Can't watch the video what's going on

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Calaveron posted:

They're starting the entire game again

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Calaveron posted:

Prime 4 was turning out as well as Star Fox Zero and Mario Pinball Land so they decided to chuck all the work they had done for it currently out the window and start over.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Calaveron posted:

Metroid Prime 4 wasn't up to Nintendo standards, whole project started from scratch and Retro Studios brought in.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Trashed the entire thing and starting over with Retro.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If they're just starting from scratch now 2021 is optimistic

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It wasn't originally being developed by retro? Wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While it sucks in the short term, overall that's pretty fantastic news. Even if it means the game won't be out until late 2021 at the earliest.
that's what I'm thinking too. It's a pretty big deal for any game company to publicly announce "the poo poo we were making sucked so we're starting over" but when Nintendo does it? That must've been some serious development hell.

If the development was going that badly I'm glad they're starting over, regardless of the time it takes. It's also super interesting to see them give it back to Retro, though I dunno how many of the original devs are still working there.