Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Your name was a complete piece of horseshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's probably why

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, Broly would be eligible for Best Animated in 2019. It also genuinely better at least get a loving nomination, because that movie was insanely good, one of the best Dragon Ball things ever, and deserves some kind of serious credit for it.

One thing I've noticed in the big Dragon Ball revival is Toriyama changing things up about the things that he didn't originally write in the past movies and GT. Making Broly not actually a villain instead instead of the Resident Evil bio-mutant monster he got turned into in his old version.

Android 17 in Super seems like a direct repudiation for the Super 17 garbage in GT.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Queen Combat posted:

But... Vic Mignogna.

*quietly shoves all the bohemian rhaposy nominations out of view*

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Vic Mignogna is a pile of garbage, but I take solace in the fact that he literally always hurts his vocal cords playing Broly because he never learned to scream properly (and apparently STILL hasn't).

The role is basically an excuse for Funi to abuse him for a few hours every few years and that owns.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Queen Combat posted:

But... Vic Mignogna.

They nominate the Latin American Spanish dub, problem solved

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I thought they got some one new to play broly.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

It’s a shame neither the score nor any of the songs from Spider-Verse got a nom.

My favourite part is the weird distorted siren/animal cries in Prowler's theme. Absolutely sold him as a uniquely scary villain for Miles.

asecondduck posted:

Plus All The Stars is absolutely SOTY, even if Kendrick doesn't want my congratulations.

The Black Panther score is for certain going to win, and deservedly so. It will already be unusual seeing superheroes celebrated to such a degree at the Academy Awards and I wonder if that played a part in them not wanting to give the Spiderverse score a nom.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dogsicle posted:

Funimation couldn't even get a nom for Your Name so i dunno.

The Academy snubbing Your Name is one of the few correct decisions theyve made in years

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's kind of funny how the two opinions on Your Name that exist in the world are "HOLY gently caress BEST MOVIE EVER" or "it's absolute poo poo from a butt" with almost no middle ground

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm pretty ambivalent about it but it seemed incredibly like a basic "prestige" anime that you'd see in the nominations list since Ghibli collapsed.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

dogsicle posted:

Funimation couldn't even get a nom for Your Name so i dunno.

Funimation, more like F-U-no-nomination

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I am not a doctor or epileptic but it's weird to me that Incredibles 2 got so much backlash for being triggering to epileptics with its flashing lights when the climax of Spider-Verse seems just as guilty of being a kaleidoscope of harsh flashing lights that would set off anyone photosensitive in a darkened theater.

I said it in the Spider-Verse thread but the animation category being something most of the academy doesn't care about makes me feel like it'll actually be more likely that they would throw a bone to Spider-Verse since it's a way of paying lipservice to #metoo by excluding Lasseter and also throwing a bone to minorities by awarding a movie with a black lead and a diverse cast without actually intruding on something they care about like Best Picture.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's kind of funny how the two opinions on Your Name that exist in the world are "HOLY gently caress BEST MOVIE EVER" or "it's absolute poo poo from a butt" with almost no middle ground

That's how most people feel about anime in general, and most of the praise for Your Name came from anime fans who were delighted to signal boost something that was superficially getting acceptance and legitimacy even if everyone else was just rolling their eyes at "Freaky Friday with panty shots and underaged masturbation jokes and completely unearned apocalyptic stakes and a script that takes an avalanche of citations about Japanese honoriffics and gender pronouns to even parse in English".

e. Also this is from the show and not the movie but it reiterates how much TTG rules

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1087755171717935104

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 24, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Mann posted:

That's how most people feel about anime in general, and most of the praise for Your Name came from anime fans who were delighted to signal boost something that was superficially getting acceptance and legitimacy even if everyone else was just rolling their eyes at "Freaky Friday with panty shots and underaged masturbation jokes and completely unearned apocalyptic stakes and a script that takes an avalanche of citations about Japanese honoriffics and gender pronouns to even parse in English".

i'm... gonna be honest, the way you characterize it is actually the total opposite of my experience

like i've typically seen anime-unaware and anime-averse people saying Your Name loving rules, whereas it's mostly people who are Extremely Into Animation (Japanese or otherwise) who loving hate it

e: also I'm just gonna say I think goons somehow got exclusive access to the XXX Too Hot For TV version of Your Name based on some of the specific complaints about it.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 24, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't generally like anime, which is why I hate Your Name, which is archtypical anime and in no way remarkable for the genre.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
most anime isn't nearly that pretty and, as I alluded to with my edit, Your Name is prudish by anime standards

like it has a bit where the female lead looks at herself in the mirror in underwear, and a couple bits early on where the characters go "oh poo poo I have bits I used to not have!" and poke at them in shock. that is the full extent of Your Name's sexual content. it is a PG-rated movie in the US, and i'm inclined to say that sounds about right; there's jokes in American kids' movies that i find more objectionable, frankly, like the weird nut-inspection bit in that Show Dogs movie.

meanwhile, Dragon Ball, an anime we all grew up with that you'd have to be really sheltered to call "weird perv poo poo" and expect people to broadly agree, has fuckin' Master Roshi in it, whose sole personality trait is "horniest elderly man alive."

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I must be taking crazy pills because I don’t get why people like Broly. I’m core Dbz demographic, I grew up on the show and rented vhs tapes of Buu saga before it hit Toonami, all that stuff. Broly was just everyone talking in exposition all the time, some forced pathos, and some pretty fight animation. It all just felt so awkward.

Anyway here’s an interesting anime thing. A recently rediscovered film that had some legends of anime work on it, but hardly saw the light of day until now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/1088283709948784641

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

God I love this show.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like i've typically seen anime-unaware and anime-averse people saying Your Name loving rules, whereas it's mostly people who are Extremely Into Animation (Japanese or otherwise) who loving hate it

Plotwise its teen romance but with supernatural elements shtick fits very well with the western YA romance set, making it accessible, but with the novelty of anime andq general japaneseness for people who arent already deep into that. Anime fans dislike it for being so popular and overrated by normies when they consider it entry level material.

My main criticism of it is that the romance angle fails completely, even beyond the standard weaknesses of both anime and teen romance. It feels like it is missing some scenes between them being irritated but learning to work with each other and them suddenly feeling love.

Something similar and recent that is a little more interesting to me is Fireworks: Should We See It From The Sides or Bottom? It is significantly rougher and cheaper animation wise, but its characters and romance are better. The characters are both depicted as being extremely and realistically immature, not in any sort of deep love but rather playing at a relationship for mostly selfish reasons. They get to have one memorable day experiencing their first romance but don't end up together, and the theme ends up being explicitly about how such early experiences are brief but intensely felt rather than suggesting two kids have found 'true love'.

There is a tiny bit of anime bullshit with the male lead's friends perving on their teacher, but it is otherwise free of that.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Other anime I saw released in cinemas last year:

Mirai (nominated for best animated picture). A Mamoru Hosoda joint (he of Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt through Time and Wolf Children fame). It was low on ambition, pleasant enough but I wouldn't consider it mind blowing or anything. I guess somewhat interesting for being focused on a toddler aged protagonist.

Penguin Highway. From yet another of the seemingly endless supply of ghibli spin off studios. A very unusual movie about a really smart kid and an older woman he has an innocent juvenile crush on but who is more or less acting like a volunteer child psychologist/mentor. Like Mirai it is interesting for having a younger than standard protagonist, and one with an interesting mindset to frame the story. The supernatural penguin magic ending was a little confusing and I lost focus by that point in the night so I'd like to see it again. It's an intriguingly different movie that I recommend if only because I want to know what others make of it.

Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms. Film debut of Mari Okada (well regarded and notably female anime screenwriter and director). It seems to be getting decent reviews but I found it to be an absolute mess. It has some good sequences, mostly when it was evoking the sort of "single mum doing her best" themes similar to those in Wolf Children. But it is just so overstuffed with ideas and characters, many of whom are interesting but whose stories seem to just peter out. Then when it hits its emotional notes at the end it plays up the melodrama to such an extent and with such repetition that it became tedious and silly. It probably could have done with being a tv series rather than a movie, true to Okada's routes. It has some interesting use of CG in background architecture that actually comes out looking okay.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I found Maquia to be the opposite. It slayed me, and I honestly can't watch it again any time soon, due to how powerfully sad and moving it was. Top 5 all time animated films. I'm honestly considering a career speciality change due to that drat movie.

Of course, Porco Rosso is a close third behind Howl and Kiki as far as my Ghibli movie rankings go, and I guess it's not a popular film, so my opinion on things probably differs from some people here.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it that night. Okada's earlier Anohana also did the very over the top emotional ending with at least one full episode of all the characters face to the sky wail-sobbing, but it actually landed well for me rather than making me roll my eyes. Maquia did have an interesting world, it just really needed more time spent on most of the characters.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Pick posted:

That track SLAYS and I can't believe it's the second (third?) credits song.

I know right? Its use in the first teaser trailer was a big part of why I initially was so excited for the film, it's a real shame they didn't end up using it in the movie proper.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm clearly in the middle ground, though. It was a good movie, but not exactly mind-blowing (though I liked the time travel twist), yet at the same time, while I had issues with the repeated breast-touching after the body swaps, I can't agree with the vitriol either.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Huh, I haven't seen anyone praise Fireworks before, especially over the likes of Maquia and Mirai (which I absolutely loved by the way).

I don't think I absolutely hate Your Name, I find it kinda middle of the road though.

quote:

Your Name is prudish by anime standards

By late night anime standards maybe but it's the most horny of Shinkai's films, and significantly more horny than A Silent Voice, or Mirai, or Maquia...

Really A Silent Voice is the main reason I was down on Your Name being nominated. Your Name seemed a much more messy, yet bland and stereotypical film. The reasoning on why *it* should be nominated seemed to come straight out of box office takings, and the reason why it was so successful at the box office seemed to be solidly hype.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
dragon ball being an academy award nominated series would be incredible but there's no way that's happening

walk on girl should've been the anime nom

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

all it takes is one guy on the staff watching it with his kids and thinking the fights look cool

note: nobody on the oscar nominee staff spends any time with their children

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The fights were really cool except they switch to CGI mid-way through. I wasn't sure if that's because they ran out of animators, or it's a way to put some RnD budget into getting more out of their CG department in the future, or they thought they could do more dynamic camera angles with CGI.

The hand-drawn stuff was grade A though, the best DBZ has ever looked. I'll probably watch it again once it's subtitled to see if that makes the dialogue sound more natural.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ccs posted:

The hand-drawn stuff was grade A though, the best DBZ has ever looked. I'll probably watch it again once it's subtitled to see if that makes the dialogue sound more natural.

Its dragon ball so a) itll be just as stiff and b) goku is an 80 year old woman

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Here's a clip from the subtitled version.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ccs posted:

The fights were really cool except they switch to CGI mid-way through. I wasn't sure if that's because they ran out of animators, or it's a way to put some RnD budget into getting more out of their CG department in the future, or they thought they could do more dynamic camera angles with CGI.

I definitely think they're trying to move in on CG in general, since they did their first full CG series in 2017 and have otherwise been using it here and there for stuff like Precure dance sequences or the new studio logo.

e: and I remember Battle of the Gods having some brief, much worse, CG.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The level of anime style Cg they’re at now where if I saw it in a video game cutscene I’d think it looks amazing. But in a film context I don’t like it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Queen Combat posted:

But... Vic Mignogna.

Nominate the Japanese voice cast, problem solved. :v:

Calaveron posted:

They nominate the Latin American Spanish dub, problem solved

oh drat it somebody not only beat me to this joke but did it even better, rip

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does anyone know what the Japanese reception was for Bulma's new VA? I hear that they normally write off a character from an anime if the VA dies out of respect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I thought Dragon Ball Broly was mostly dumb fun even by the standards of the franchise, but the animation and choreography was great.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Fangz posted:

Huh, I haven't seen anyone praise Fireworks before, especially over the likes of Maquia and Mirai (which I absolutely loved by the way).

Fireworks is definitely not something I would recommend over Mirai, and probably not even Maquia, despite my reservations. It is more just something I think of as a counterpoint to Your Name, since both are teen romance time travel shenanigans released within a year or so of each other. Your Name is extremely conventional, with it's two protagonists being the blandest of anime guy and girl pairs. Fireworks had a little more novelty for me. The main girl clearly being mature and bold in interacting with the opposite sex, and not actually being all that picky with who she drags into her eloping fantasy family drama. The main guy distinguishing himself over his friend by virtue of nutting up and clearing multiple tests of how bold and forward he can be, with some help from the magic of groundhog dating.

A Silent Voice definitely deserved a nomination, but unfortunately it isn't all about artistic merit, especially for foreign films to get any attention. Even Mirai is probably only there because Hosada has had enough of a streak to build a profile.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought Dragon Ball Broly was mostly dumb fun even by the standards of the franchise, but the animation and choreography was great.

It totally was, but I think the fact that it salvaged Broly (a character very dumb even by DBZ standards) so much as a character earns it a lot of smart points by comparison.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The Bee posted:

It totally was, but I think the fact that it salvaged Broly (a character very dumb even by DBZ standards) so much as a character earns it a lot of smart points by comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqQpLL7-GRM

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Honestly Frieza's scenes in Broly are just the best. It's like they're daring Team Fourstar to make a funnier joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Bee posted:

Yeah, it's not even as dumb as it might look, and brings Broly more in line with the theme of the series; that people have to choose to be truly evil.