Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Not like I wasn't in the tank for this already, but now I'm twice as sold

Plus Canada legalizes weed in October, so now they've pushed this back to December I can get high and watch it just like I used to get high and read the Viz paperbacks back in the day. Mid-life crisis woooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DrSunshine posted:

This comic is so goddamn cool. Alita is metal as gently caress. Ugh. I'm gonna have to reread it again!!

Th deluxe edition hard covers are a really great way to reread the original manga.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

teagone posted:

Th deluxe edition hard covers are a really great way to reread the original manga.

Oh yes. My girlfriend bought me the first one of that for Christmas last year, and it is pretty excellent. They reprinted the color pages and everything.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I prefer the french translations because they kept the original names. :colbert:

(At least translate it as something like "Dream of a Weapon" or something instead of Battle Angel)

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Tekne posted:

I was already going, but my hope is that we see some real panzer kunst poo poo.

does alita even do any real panzer kunst poo poo in the volumes they're adapting? i guess she does some vs. makaku but it seems they are using the OVA changes here and cutting makaku out and replacing him with some generic mook + i think i saw the female doctor from tiphares from the OVA as well

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

MonsieurChoc posted:

I prefer the french translations because they kept the original names. :colbert:

(At least translate it as something like "Dream of a Weapon" or something instead of Battle Angel)

Battle Angel was the English name. The manga name in Japanese is Gunnm with directly translate into Gun Dream. I'm for the French version, they were using the Japanese version for the base of the translation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tormented posted:

Battle Angel was the English name. The manga name in Japanese is Gunnm with directly translate into Gun Dream. I'm for the French version, they were using the Japanese version for the base of the translation.

Yeah, Gun Dream sounds like a Blue Oyster Cult song, which is a good thing.

Speaking of which, give Zapan his face tattoo back.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

does alita even do any real panzer kunst poo poo in the volumes they're adapting?

IIRC The very first time she does her thing Ido has a "That martial art --- it's Panzer Kunst!!!" moment, which on a re-read sticks out because he'd have no real way to recognise it seeing as how all the practitioners have been dead for like a century. I always figured it was the sort of thing that happens in a first volume of a book when the timeline isn't 100% set in stone yet.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

NmareBfly posted:

IIRC The very first time she does her thing Ido has a "That martial art --- it's Panzer Kunst!!!" moment, which on a re-read sticks out because he'd have no real way to recognise it seeing as how all the practitioners have been dead for like a century. I always figured it was the sort of thing that happens in a first volume of a book when the timeline isn't 100% set in stone yet.

Well, I mean, he's from Tiphares, he totally could've seen it in like movies or whatever passes for entertainment there.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3D2vmWD88w

First look at motorball footage looks good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kinda worried that they're changing Yoko's backstory so she's no longer a super-terrorist.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
we didn't know until the end.

I'm more worried they put some stupid hollywood story to drive Alita along.

Blood Eyeblack: Cool
Speech about standing up to evil: Eh

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
The eyes look really, really bad. I completely do not get that design decision, at all.

I do however want to reread this all from the beginning again because of the trailer so...

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dog Kisser posted:

The eyes look really, really bad.
so loving bad.

this movie is going to be just awful. studios don’t move a film from a christmas release to a mid-february graveyard-shift release unless they know it’s a stinker. the only movie that has bucked this trend of action movies released on Valentine’s Day was Deadpool, and this movie isn’t Deadpool.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgWsADYJdpM

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

NmareBfly posted:

have you never seen a kung fu movie? I'd know if a dude was busting out some crazy shaolin poo poo

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

This is much funnier without the dumbfuck dubbing over it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Kinda worried that they're changing Yoko's backstory so she's no longer a super-terrorist.
They could get some promotion from the pink ribbon people, right? Then again arguably she's on the other side of that argument.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

being totally honest, i'd be fine with this, because there's no reason they can't have that turn out to be a complete lie when they get to the stuff where Yoko's past is actually relevant.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

I saw this TV spot earlier during the NFL game and I was freaking out cause it's the first time I see her blade attached to her arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Jf2bPwUrY&t=21s

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Tyberius posted:

I saw this TV spot earlier during the NFL game and I was freaking out cause it's the first time I see her blade attached to her arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Jf2bPwUrY&t=21s

:neckbeard: Yaaaaay! *crowd starts to chant* Arm-blade. Arm-blade. ARM-BLADE!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I was laughing because they worked "insignificant girl" into the dialogue (referencing the end song from the OAV)

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
It seems they brought in the woman tepharian villain over from the animation.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/AlitaMovie/status/1088481556182646784?s=09

I wonder if there will be any mention of panzer kunst in the movie.

[Edit] Volumes 4 and 5 of the new deluxe editions are in the mail. Collection complete :neckbeard:

Just saw there's also a boxset available too, now that all the volumes are out. Comes with 3 lithographs for $150.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 24, 2019

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Lamebot posted:

It seems they brought in the woman tepharian villain over from the animation.

The movie looks like a combination of the OAV and manga. Good choice as the anime was compressed to make the first two volumes fit into two 30 min animation which plays well with a movie format.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Until I see the motorball sequence in action, I still feel it was a mistake to include it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
this whole movie looks like a mistake and everybody involved in it knows. if it was good, they wouldn’t have ever moved it to Valentine’s Day, where had action moves go to die

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

this whole movie looks like a mistake and everybody involved in it knows. if it was good, they wouldn’t have ever moved it to Valentine’s Day, where had action moves go to die

Yeah, movies like Dead Pool and Black Panther! Those horrible flops!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Tormented posted:

Yeah, movies like Dead Pool and Black Panther! Those horrible flops!
yeah this is gonna be a lot like either of those movies. R-rated dick jokes and ultra-violence or marvel blockbuster representation blowout with a $100,000,000 advertising budget.

id love to be wrong, but the trailer, the weird eye poo poo, the move to February, and the merger advertising push makes me think otherwise

black panther was mediocre and killmonger should have won

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the advertising push has been anything but "meager," I've seen the trailer in front of an absolute shitload of movies including weird stuff like DB Super: Broly.

and February isn't where guaranteed bombs go to die; it's when you release riskier/more niche stuff, that has a chance if there's little competition but won't necessarily do well in a crowded slate, like Deadpool or BP. January is where bombs go to die, because nobody sees movies in January and they can write it off as circumstances rather than the movie sucking.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It may or may not bomb in February, but if it'd opened opposite Aquaman like they'd originally planned it would've been absolutely slaughtered, so there's that

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Clipperton posted:

It may or may not bomb in February, but if it'd opened opposite Aquaman like they'd originally planned it would've been absolutely slaughtered, so there's that

yeah, this is basically what I'm getting at.

versus Aquaman? Alita dies. versus Avengers Endgame? Alita dies. it has to come out between the two, regardless of quality, to have any reasonable chance of success, and Feb is almost the exact midpoint.

on top of this, they picked Valentine's Day to release it, which is a pretty huge movie-going day. and not only that, but Alita is a rare movie that works as both a regular Valentine's movie (due to the Alita/Yugo subplot, even if it ends poorly), and as counterprogramming to regular Valentine's movies (due to it also being a dark sci-fi action movie).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I honestly don't know how to feel about this. I've waited a long, long time to see Alita in theaters, but this motorball clip isn't really doing anything for me. Still, it's out of context, but I'm convinced it shouldn't have had a part in the introductory story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5qAsdNJjeo

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I think that's pretty loving hype and if it's early enough in the movie ("If you break this body I can't fix it") it'll be a great lead in to 'Wait, what the hell is she?'

It'll do very well to make actual combat way less of an rear end-pull to anyone unfamiliar with the source.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The action just seems kinda middling to me. I think it looks good, but the rest of the bits I've seen in trailers and clips have been kinda dull and muddy, visually.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

Going tonight in about a couple of hours if I can get in with the free screening pass they were giving out earlier this week.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tormented posted:

Going tonight in about a couple of hours if I can get in with the free screening pass they were giving out earlier this week.

Yeah, I would have gone to the one here in Chicago, but it's loving freezing out, so I'll just wait.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Tormented posted:

Oh that's cool! Tell us what you thought of it!! I do not have high hopes, but am open to being pleasantly surprised.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
That looked cool and all, but now i have no idea how we're gonna get to motorball if Daisuke is still with Alita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm sure some creative liberties were taken in order to fit motorball into Alita's origin story. Shame, because the bit in the manga where Ido is making his way through the crowd at a motorball event, looking for Alita and it's revealed she's one of the competitors was one of my favorite parts.