Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Chapter 486: "Piano"

Oh crap, so Ace got captured by the Marines?? I guess Blackbeard beat him.. Aww, Brook is so happy!! I'm so happy for Brook!

Whoooa so that's what Brook looked like as a person? Thicker lips than I woulda guessed. Holy gently caress, him walking along his ship and cleaning up the skeletal corpses of his friends. Man, Brook's backstory is super sad, too!! How does Oda keep doing it?

YAAAAY BROOK OFFICIALLY JOINED THE CREW! And I was worried he wouldn't come back, pfft. I'm excited to see what the next adventure is! Although, Hogback, Moria, and Perona are all still out there somewhere... Well, maybe not Perona, Kuma kinda just made her go poof. Oh yeah, I forgot we were going to Fishman Island! Life paper, neat! So that's what Ace gave to Luffy! Oh poo poo, Ace is in trouble?? Well, I guess I already knew he was being held captive, but to think he's almost dead...

One of my favorite parts of One Piece is the time in between arcs. I love seeing the goings-on in the background and at the world government and stuff. We get glimpses of those things during each arc, but we don't get a big look at them like we do in between them! Camie! I remember her from one of the cover stories! I thought her and the weird starfish guy were cute, I'm glad they're here! Ooh this Duval dude is scary. He's got a grudge against one of the straw hats?

I like that Duval gets a funny accent as he gets angry. Ahh, it is the octopus guy from Arlong! Of course, reading the cover stories made that obvious, but still!

WHY DID BROOK AND CHOPPER JUMP INTO THE WATER AFTER LUFFY? That poo poo never gets old. I wonder what would happen to Brook if he drowned. Would his spirit stop returning to his body cus the devil fruit would be disabled? Would he just revive at the bottom of the sea, only to drown again? How terrible! Whoa, Brook really is a bard, he put the flying fish guys to sleep! Oh yeah, AND he can run on water! Oh shiiit, Luffy against Duval! I wonder if we'll find out who he is...

Duval has a big cow! Huh, he wants to kill Sanji? What for? Did Sanji kick his rear end at the restaurant of the seas or something? HE LOOKS LIKE SANJI'S lovely WANTED POSTER OH MY GOOOOOOD. Whoooaaa the Sunny has a super cannon!

SANJI KICKED DUVAL SO HARD, HE TURNED PRETTY! This bubble archipelago is pretty cool, I like it! Those Holy dragon folks look like pieces of poo poo, though

Shakki is cool, I like her too! YES LET'S GO TO THE THEME PARK! Holy poo poo, suddenly a billion people introduced. I like Jewelry Bonney because I too want more pizza, I also like Captain Kidd because I liked him in Persona 5 - also wow, his bounty is higher than Luffy's! X Drake seems cool cus he has a loving cross axe, and I like Hawkins cus he's a "Magician".

"Right now the marine HQ is busy with another matter" gently caress, I bet that's Ace, isn't it? HELL YES amusement park time! I want an entire manga of the gang at the amusement park, this part rules. OH gently caress ZORO DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT THE DRAGON GUYS Welp we're hosed. Oh whew, Bonney stopped him. Can she change her age? Also, where's Clyde? I feel like that's a thing Oda would do. Anyways, Cami's been kidnapped, call in the flying fish guys!

Oh drat, Trafalgar has a polar bear on his crew! That's rad. And of course the holy dragon guys are at the auction, how could it go any other way? Oooh, the former first mate of Gold Roger!! Not even Shanks was first mate, right? So is this guy even stronger?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Kaido being the dad of Katakuri and his brothers would honestly explain a lot, maybe even including Kat's fangs.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CodfishCartographer posted:

Duval has a big cow! Huh, he wants to kill Sanji? What for? Did Sanji kick his rear end at the restaurant of the seas or something? HE LOOKS LIKE SANJI'S lovely WANTED POSTER OH MY GOOOOOOD. Whoooaaa the Sunny has a super cannon!

Im pretty sure this is my favorite joke in One Piece

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Man, Brook's backstory is super sad, too!! How does Oda keep doing it?

I vastly prefer the manga for most things, but the anime version of Brook's song is fantastic. And heartbreaking.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Oh crap, so Ace got captured by the Marines?? I guess Blackbeard beat him.. Aww, Brook is so happy!! I'm so happy for Brook!

Whoooa so that's what Brook looked like as a person? Thicker lips than I woulda guessed. Holy gently caress, him walking along his ship and cleaning up the skeletal corpses of his friends. Man, Brook's backstory is super sad, too!! How does Oda keep doing it?

YAAAAY BROOK OFFICIALLY JOINED THE CREW! And I was worried he wouldn't come back, pfft. I'm excited to see what the next adventure is! Although, Hogback, Moria, and Perona are all still out there somewhere... Well, maybe not Perona, Kuma kinda just made her go poof. Oh yeah, I forgot we were going to Fishman Island! Life paper, neat! So that's what Ace gave to Luffy! Oh poo poo, Ace is in trouble?? Well, I guess I already knew he was being held captive, but to think he's almost dead...

One of my favorite parts of One Piece is the time in between arcs. I love seeing the goings-on in the background and at the world government and stuff. We get glimpses of those things during each arc, but we don't get a big look at them like we do in between them! Camie! I remember her from one of the cover stories! I thought her and the weird starfish guy were cute, I'm glad they're here! Ooh this Duval dude is scary. He's got a grudge against one of the straw hats?

I like that Duval gets a funny accent as he gets angry. Ahh, it is the octopus guy from Arlong! Of course, reading the cover stories made that obvious, but still!

WHY DID BROOK AND CHOPPER JUMP INTO THE WATER AFTER LUFFY? That poo poo never gets old. I wonder what would happen to Brook if he drowned. Would his spirit stop returning to his body cus the devil fruit would be disabled? Would he just revive at the bottom of the sea, only to drown again? How terrible! Whoa, Brook really is a bard, he put the flying fish guys to sleep! Oh yeah, AND he can run on water! Oh shiiit, Luffy against Duval! I wonder if we'll find out who he is...

SANJI KICKED DUVAL SO HARD, HE TURNED PRETTY! This bubble archipelago is pretty cool, I like it! Those Holy dragon folks look like pieces of poo poo, though

Shakki is cool, I like her too! YES LET'S GO TO THE THEME PARK! Holy poo poo, suddenly a billion people introduced. I like Jewelry Bonney because I too want more pizza, I also like Captain Kidd because I liked him in Persona 5 - also wow, his bounty is higher than Luffy's! X Drake seems cool cus he has a loving cross axe, and I like Hawkins cus he's a "Magician".

"Right now the marine HQ is busy with another matter" gently caress, I bet that's Ace, isn't it? HELL YES amusement park time! I want an entire manga of the gang at the amusement park, this part rules. OH gently caress ZORO DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT THE DRAGON GUYS Welp we're hosed. Oh whew, Bonney stopped him. Can she change her age? Also, where's Clyde? I feel like that's a thing Oda would do. Anyways, Cami's been kidnapped, call in the flying fish guys!

Oh drat, Trafalgar has a polar bear on his crew! That's rad. And of course the holy dragon guys are at the auction, how could it go any other way? Oooh, the former first mate of Gold Roger!! Not even Shanks was first mate, right? So is this guy even stronger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHys4r7ZL5M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9X1UB-IjYw

Kild fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 24, 2019

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
This is the type of effort I wish the anime showed more often.
They absolutely NAILED that scene. And the sound design of instruments slowly fading out followed by a loud thud as another corpse hits the ground, gives me goosebumps every single time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

X Drake seems cool cus he has a loving cross axe, and I like Hawkins cus he's a "Magician".

Thing I should point out, The X is pronounced Diez.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
A Japanese manga with a guy that has a Roman numeral name pronounced in Spanish?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Snazzy Frocks posted:

A Japanese manga with a guy that has a Roman numeral name pronounced in Spanish?

Oda can be very creative at (nearly all) times.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Dont try to think about how many languages Robin mashes together for her attacks

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I don't really understand how languages work in the world of One Piece. Most in-universe text seems to be in English, but the Marines have that kanji on their coats, and a bunch of characters use random Romance languages in attack names, but no one ever seems to have difficulty communicating with each other, even when the Straw Hats go to very isolated places like Skypeia and Wano.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

They're all speaking Japanese.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Sniper Island actually provides instantaneous translation services.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I don't really understand how languages work in the world of One Piece. Most in-universe text seems to be in English, but the Marines have that kanji on their coats, and a bunch of characters use random Romance languages in attack names, but no one ever seems to have difficulty communicating with each other, even when the Straw Hats go to very isolated places like Skypeia and Wano.

god never punished them for building the tower of babel so language and faith never became a divided twisted thing

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

AkumaHokoru posted:

god never punished them for building the tower of babel so language and faith never became a divided twisted thing

*looks at the One Piece world* "never punished" huh?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the WG has controlled the entire world unopposed for the last 900 years so it makes sense that there's a common language known by just about everyone in the world

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

*looks at the One Piece world* "never punished" huh?

the world government fuckery aint got poo poo to do with skyman

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thing I should point out, The X is pronounced Diez.

oh my god

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AkumaHokoru posted:

the world government fuckery aint got poo poo to do with skyman

ya enel aint did poo poo

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Kild posted:

ya enel aint did poo poo

enel is a false skyman. the trueskyman didn't decide to gently caress over the world because someone wanted to see him.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

X nuts

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

AkumaHokoru posted:

enel is a false skyman. the trueskyman didn't decide to gently caress over the world because someone wanted to see him.

The true skyman is Oda

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Chapter 501: "The World Begins To Change"

Oh gently caress, Garp is gunna take on Rayleigh? And "two legends"? Who's the other one...? IT'S WHITEBEARD, ACE IS GUNNA BE PUBLICLY EXECUTED! But wait, we haven't seen Whitebeard since he was about to fight Shanks, I wonder what happened...

Wow, instantly outbid on Camie, RIP. Lmao then Luffy just fuckin busts in and wrecks everything. Guess we'll be fighting an Admiral, soon! OH NO HACHI GOT SHOT! I really hope he's okay... Holy gently caress that two page spread of Luffy punching that lovely celestial dragon guy is satisfying.

Hahaha Usopp fuckin butt crushed one of the saints. Holy poo poo, did Rayleigh just give everyone in the building a heart attack? Is that a gum gum fruit? The giant said it was a haki...I'm glad he's on our side, for now!

Oh God dammit, is Doflamongo joining in now, too?? Oh, no, it's just ALL THE WARLORDS VS THE WHITEBEARD PIRATES. Goddamn this is a huge poo poo storm being hyped up and I cannot loving wait for it to blow up. Kidd can repel things too? And what the gently caress was with Law's devil fruit power, he made some field and then teleported stuff inside? Does he have full control of the field or something?

THE MARINE WHO LOST HIS HEAD IS STILL ALIVE?? Holy poo poo, Kidd has some crazy rear end Akira poo poo going on, except with metal. Oh great, Kuma is back. I guess we'll see how Luffy and Zoro can do when they're at full strength!

Lol, Brook doesn't know who Gold Roger is. I guess he HAS been floating at sea for quite a long time... drat, Kizaru rode on a fuckin cannonball? And he can teleport too? What's with all the teleporting?!

Hahaha, Luffy doesn't want to know anything about One Piece! I feel you, bro, even a little bit of info spoils the adventure! Man, three whole days of waiting? So scary! gently caress, does Kizaru have the boom boom fruit or something? Wait, that was the fruit of one of the Baroque guys... I like Apoo, even if he hasn't done anything yet. I like how he's all "lets cause a lotta trouble"! I also like how long his arms are. I KNEW IT! Bonney can alter the age of people! Couldn't she just instantly defeat anyone by turning them into a baby...?

Holy poo poo Capone has a loving army inside of him, he rules. Hawkins is cool, I like the card reading probability stuff. Is he just fortune telling, or can he control the probabilities? I guess even if he can't, he always knows how likely he is to win or lose with any given strategy. Hmm, does Kizaru have the shine shine fruit or something? He talked about moving at the speed of light, and he's really shiny. And Hawkins can send misfortune to other people? Ohh, voodoo dolls take the brunt of the attack! THERE ARE MULTIPLE KUMA'S?? Was he mass produced??? Do they all have the paw paw fruit...?

No, he's a fake! Is he a robot copy? Vegapunk? Is that someone making copies of people and powers? X DRAKE CAN TURN INTO A loving DINOSAUR HOLY poo poo 🦖🦖🦖🦖 He rules goddamn. Whoa, and Hawkins can turn into a voodoo doll?? All these guys are so cool!!!! Holy poo poo what the gently caress is Apoo's power??? He fuckin cut off Kizaru's arm, I guess! That seems real strong! Is Kizaru already done for?

Of course not, heh. Cool that he can like, rebuild himself. Goddamn, Kizaru just loving ANNIHILATED all of them, like without even trying.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4RNWbP1G-E

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sabaody was probably was most fun I had reading an arc one chapter per week. Every single chapter had some massive thing happen and it was just dense with worldbuilding

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Chapter 501: "The World Begins To Change"

Oh gently caress, Garp is gunna take on Rayleigh? And "two legends"? Who's the other one...? IT'S WHITEBEARD, ACE IS GUNNA BE PUBLICLY EXECUTED! But wait, we haven't seen Whitebeard since he was about to fight Shanks, I wonder what happened...

Wow, instantly outbid on Camie, RIP. Lmao then Luffy just fuckin busts in and wrecks everything. Guess we'll be fighting an Admiral, soon! OH NO HACHI GOT SHOT! I really hope he's okay... Holy gently caress that two page spread of Luffy punching that lovely celestial dragon guy is satisfying.

Hahaha Usopp fuckin butt crushed one of the saints. Holy poo poo, did Rayleigh just give everyone in the building a heart attack? Is that a gum gum fruit? The giant said it was a haki...I'm glad he's on our side, for now!

Oh God dammit, is Doflamongo joining in now, too?? Oh, no, it's just ALL THE WARLORDS VS THE WHITEBEARD PIRATES. Goddamn this is a huge poo poo storm being hyped up and I cannot loving wait for it to blow up. Kidd can repel things too? And what the gently caress was with Law's devil fruit power, he made some field and then teleported stuff inside? Does he have full control of the field or something?

THE MARINE WHO LOST HIS HEAD IS STILL ALIVE?? Holy poo poo, Kidd has some crazy rear end Akira poo poo going on, except with metal. Oh great, Kuma is back. I guess we'll see how Luffy and Zoro can do when they're at full strength!

Lol, Brook doesn't know who Gold Roger is. I guess he HAS been floating at sea for quite a long time... drat, Kizaru rode on a fuckin cannonball? And he can teleport too? What's with all the teleporting?!

Hahaha, Luffy doesn't want to know anything about One Piece! I feel you, bro, even a little bit of info spoils the adventure! Man, three whole days of waiting? So scary! gently caress, does Kizaru have the boom boom fruit or something? Wait, that was the fruit of one of the Baroque guys... I like Apoo, even if he hasn't done anything yet. I like how he's all "lets cause a lotta trouble"! I also like how long his arms are. I KNEW IT! Bonney can alter the age of people! Couldn't she just instantly defeat anyone by turning them into a baby...?

Holy poo poo Capone has a loving army inside of him, he rules. Hawkins is cool, I like the card reading probability stuff. Is he just fortune telling, or can he control the probabilities? I guess even if he can't, he always knows how likely he is to win or lose with any given strategy. Hmm, does Kizaru have the shine shine fruit or something? He talked about moving at the speed of light, and he's really shiny. And Hawkins can send misfortune to other people? Ohh, voodoo dolls take the brunt of the attack! THERE ARE MULTIPLE KUMA'S?? Was he mass produced??? Do they all have the paw paw fruit...?

No, he's a fake! Is he a robot copy? Vegapunk? Is that someone making copies of people and powers? X DRAKE CAN TURN INTO A loving DINOSAUR HOLY poo poo 🦖🦖🦖🦖 He rules goddamn. Whoa, and Hawkins can turn into a voodoo doll?? All these guys are so cool!!!! Holy poo poo what the gently caress is Apoo's power??? He fuckin cut off Kizaru's arm, I guess! That seems real strong! Is Kizaru already done for?

Of course not, heh. Cool that he can like, rebuild himself. Goddamn, Kizaru just loving ANNIHILATED all of them, like without even trying.

The best part is all those characters were made spur of the moment as a challenge.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Kild posted:

The best part is all those characters were made spur of the moment as a challenge.

Wait, what??

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah what

Spill the T

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

His editor said to make it more exciting

quote:

When he did his draft for the chapter in Sabaody where all the rookies are introduced, he whipped it all up, including designing the characters, in just five hours with the clock ticking! I felt like I caught a glimpse of his genius in that moment.

quote:

Oda clarifies that "all Supernovas have more highlight scenes than I imagined. I created Supernovas right before the chapter where they got introduced. None of them existed in my plot notebooks before that chapter. I was in a desperate situation, worrying, 'At this rate, Sabaody arc will not be interesting enough,"

Oda needed interesting characters to spice up his next arc, and sort of just made them up on the spot, "Then, inspiration for 9 Supernovas came to my mind unconsciously." Oda even regretted creating as many of he did, "I should have reduced the number of Supernovas since there were too many, but after all, I made all of them appear in the manga!!"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Traguy and Capone Bege, spur of the moment good boys.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nearly all of the Supernovas are based to an extent on real world pirates (or criminals in Bege's case), besides Killer who Oda admits he got lazy about. Just the names in some cases.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oda is a loving master of his craft.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he's just trying to imitate his role model toriyama

also this is a break week right?

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

he's just trying to imitate his role model toriyama

also this is a break week right?

yes sir but we're good on chapters again until golden week kicks around save for the normal oda breaks

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Kizaru is a light Logia. He's a living laser, and a strong contender for the most powerful character in the manga.

One other detail - the three admirals' titles (Kizaru/Yellow Monkey, Akainu/Red Dog, and Aokiji/Blue Pheasant) are references to the three animal companions of the Japanese folk hero Momotaro.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Admirals are all also modeled after actors.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mulderman posted:

This is the type of effort I wish the anime showed more often.
They absolutely NAILED that scene. And the sound design of instruments slowly fading out followed by a loud thud as another corpse hits the ground, gives me goosebumps every single time.

Same. There are times where they tweak a few scenes here and there the mess something up thought usually by adding some bit of filler that contradicts something later on. And I loving loved that scene for how depressing it was. Like you FEEL every instrument leaving the song.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Can’t believe he made up all those characters so quickly.

I look forward to the day we’re all fawning over killer, a character which he didn’t even bother giving a face or any character whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He did say Killer slurps noodles through his helmet.

I wouldn't be surprised if Oda had a fair few character ideas floating around for a while that he used for them (given this series, I bet he has more character ideas than he knows what to do with) and some of them are a bit broad at least at first, most of the Supernova crews have an obvious theme; Kidd's crew are punk rockers, Bege's are a mafia obviously, Apoo's are Chinese people, and Urouge's are monks.