Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Cross posting from the Oath thread.

Didn't particularly like the UCM dreadnought at first but it looks better the more I see of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Atlas Hugged posted:

For posterity:

Pretty fun to assemble and paint. Thanks again anonymous goon!

Cross-posting because I'm really pleased with how this turned out.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It did turn out quite well, you can be pleased with that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Played a game on my kitchen table with the neighbor today. Shaltari won, but only just barely.

Space shrimp pack a punch at close range!

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Played a game on my kitchen table with the neighbor today. Shaltari won, but only just barely.

Space shrimp pack a punch at close range!

My first game was against Scourge with starter sets and the Wyvern rolled at least 14 on its close action attacks each time, the fucker.

And hey, picture time then:

I've got no idea what I'm doing with the terrain really, figured random sponging and washes of dirty colors then throwing flock at 'em was sufficient. I'm not thrilled but ok with them at least.

Sojenus fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 29, 2018

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah those are both starter fleet setups. I've only played against people who have never read the rules and so when I explain the fleets, everyone always goes for Scourge as soon as I start talking about shields and voidgates.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Nice looking things guys, I'm digging that Hades.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Had a bunch of difficulty with assembling the Romulus/Remus but I think it'll turn out ok. Little bit of misalignment but you don't see it looking down so I can't be arsed to melt things and reset.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Oath Complete!

I feel like I learned a lot working on this. Doing the custom decal was pretty cool, if nerve-wracking.
I think it turned out pretty well. LOTS of magnets, although not as many total as on the London/Washington.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That's some gorgeous work, wdarkk.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
So what's the going ratio of Motherships:voidgates? If I'm playing at 1500~ points, would I want 2:6?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

So what's the going ratio of Motherships:voidgates? If I'm playing at 1500~ points, would I want 2:6?

Is there victory points for kill points?

I think I used 2:8 for 1250.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

wdarkk posted:

Is there victory points for kill points?

I think I used 2:8 for 1250.

It's casual play with guys at my FLGS, so the scenario will be randomly determined. I'm mostly trying to decide what I should be buying.

I currently have the starter box built with the starter list and a Diamond Battleship, so I need to make up the points in between to get to a legal list size. I'm thinking I might build a second starter box so that I'd have 6 gates, 8 frigates, 6 cruisers, and the battleship to play with in various configurations. I'm not magnetizing, so what I build is basically what I'm stuck with. So I'm thinking that of the 3 new cruisers, at least one should be a Mothership. I'll probably focus on launch assets for at least one of the other two if not both.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
The Shaltari BS is very easy to magnetise (maybe even just don't glue the turret on) so you can get some flexibility out of that with minimal effort.

I have yet to play with my Shaltari but my feeling is that two Emeralds should be enough at 1250, particularly if you are running a BS. I'm not sure about void gates yet, but my feeling is 6 or 7 to support 2 Emerald. 8+ seems like spam tactics and a points sink.

I'm thinking about building a second carrier, Shaltari fighters look strong and can help to offset shields up point defence holes as needed.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
1.5 gates to capacity is pretty normal, I run 6 voidgates with 4 drop (emerald and battleship) or 10 with 6 drop (emerald and 3 destroyers/second emerald). Any less than that and you start to not use drop capacity, even overfilling home sectors was shaltari makes sense (to transfer later on).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sojenus posted:

I've got no idea what I'm doing with the terrain really, figured random sponging and washes of dirty colors then throwing flock at 'em was sufficient. I'm not thrilled but ok with them at least.

If you don't mind a suggestion, try using a few areas of clump flock to break up the "carpet" effect on the overgrowth.

It'll break up the silhouette and look more like vines than moss.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, definitely break some of it up. It looks loving awesome mind.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Anyone else have a real hard time with the sticker sheets?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I had one dodgy sheet that was tricky to remove and kept ripping. Same issue?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Flipswitch posted:

I had one dodgy sheet that was tricky to remove and kept ripping. Same issue?

I've had four dodgy sheets. Two with my PHR and one each in my Shaltari and Scourge starters. Instead of peeling away neatly, the adhesive refuses to separate and a layer of the sheet pulls away from the paper. This leaves me with a circle with a rough back instead of a smooth, sticky back.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Oh hey thread. New Dropzone preview up for a Resistance Truck:

https://community.ttcombat.com/2019/01/23/wip-wednesday-from-the-resin-room/

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 24, 2019

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

moths posted:

If you don't mind a suggestion, try using a few areas of clump flock to break up the "carpet" effect on the overgrowth.

It'll break up the silhouette and look more like vines than moss.

I added some and it does look much better. I'll probably take some pictures when I finish the rest of the buildings.

Ugleb posted:

Oh hey thread. New Dropzone preview up for a Resistance Truck:

https://community.ttcombat.com/2019/01/23/wip-wednesday-from-the-resin-room/

file name says resistance but i don't see a single bolted on metal plate

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Sojenus posted:

file name says resistance but i don't see a single bolted on metal plate
no zig-zag panel lines either

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Its an odd one, could easily be UCM or resistance. Maybe both? I'm not sure what the extra wheels are about.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
see those wide, hinged windows on the side? clearly it's a UCM food truck.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Dave is a massive C&C fan. This is clearly a UCM Mobile Construction Vehicle.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The games followed a same fate as the CNC franchise too

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

The games followed a same fate as the CNC franchise too

They put too much money into hiring known actors to record hammed up videos instead of making the game actually good?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Ugleb posted:

They put too much money into hiring known actors to record hammed up videos instead of making the game actually good?

no price was too large to pay for this

Sojenus fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 25, 2019

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ugleb posted:

dead as dishwater with people missing it. :(

Tim Curry as a UCM Commander I kind of want to see...

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Discovered something called the Cleveland rules today. Apparently its an unofficial set of Dropfleet errata that TTcombat have had some input into and may be adopted in some way. It's quite extensive and looks interesting:

Cleveland rules

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Does it make the game actually fun in terms of ground combat? Not to be a dig but I'm actually quite sad how much people bounced off this game.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
it's actually a huge improvement for ground combat, it's no longer a slog. Ground forces are still a huge part fo the game (as you need them for scoring) but the cleveland rules test do a few things to make them significantly faster.

Having played with the cleveland rules, it definitely makes some of UCM's less-used ships more usable, linking up some turrets and adding the squadron rule to our smaller non-burnthrough ships is actually a huge difference. Our battleships and Dreadnoughts are still way too fragile for the points compared to the other factions (as UCM lacks stealth, shields, or the massive hull and signature difference). our big ships have to silent running most of the game, leaving their guns doing not much. UCM still favors dropspam and just taking as many cheap burnthroughs as they can because of this.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Ground combat is basically the same but without saving throws so less faff?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Some more building junk and a couple infantry. I found them a lot more fun to do than the basic infantry models.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Those are some nice little man's! Good effort. :)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Sooo... That'll be a Type-4 then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwTqXNZlEn0

Oh my. Dave has a thing for bigger sculpts lately apparently.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugleb posted:

Sooo... That'll be a Type-4 then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwTqXNZlEn0

Oh my. Dave has a thing for bigger sculpts lately apparently.

So that's the "Grand Walker" that was teased in Dropfleet I think.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

now to wait for the similarly sized resistance vehicle that's a bunch of buses bolted together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

wdarkk posted:

So that's the "Grand Walker" that was teased in Dropfleet I think.

Yup. Dropfleet book mentioned I think up to type 6. Hmm actually I think Hades is type 4 and I was forgetting about Apollos. So this is probably either a 5 or Dave has something else lined up to go between them.

I'm loving the look but a bit concerned at the thought of how to transport it.