Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I remain the only person who liked Tamriel as Middle Earth in Oblivion and preferred it over a jungle.

Im calling the police

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I remain the only person who liked Tamriel as Middle Earth in Oblivion and preferred it over a jungle.

Stop! You've violated the law.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

RBA Starblade posted:

nwahs get out

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Jungle Cyrodiil is cool but IIRC it was a forest even in Arena. Then again I'm not sure if Black Marsh had jungle either.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

very little was established in TES1 or 2, until Redguard came out with the PGE 1st Edition

even in oblivion like a third of Cyrodiil (mostly the Nibenay portions) is still jungle, bigger shift is more architecture / armor designs for a more LOTR movie aesthetic and kind of really toning down the Colovian/Nibenese split

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Bring back faction based architecture instead of each town being an island

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I liked it too.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i think making cyrodiil a sort of nexus of the various provinces' climates instead of just one big jungle wasn't a bad idea, but pretty much all the rest of the execution was very wanting

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Berke Negri posted:

i think making cyrodiil a sort of nexus of the various provinces' climates instead of just one big jungle wasn't a bad idea, but pretty much all the rest of the execution was very wanting

The imperial city itself was just sad. Give me my bridge neighborhoods

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i do think people tend to overestimate how weird cyrodiil would have been depicted in some alternative development, we do get a general picture of imperial architecture in TES3 and its still kind of generically fantasy-euro

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Wasn't the real shift in normalizing the Empire in Morrowind, when it went from the Redguard/Pocket Guide description to being a Rome analogue?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i don't know if I'd go that far, though it's worth pointing out that Imperials were depicted.....really differently in-game in Redguard, and im not sure how much the PGE actually informed the art direction of that game

thematically they're the same though, Redguard and Morrowind both paint the Empire as a colonial/imperialist venture and that theme is really missing in Oblivion imo (and subverted in Skyrim)

edit: how imps looked in game

how they looked in cutscenes

theres not really much to work with i think to draw conclusions

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 24, 2019

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Atrayonis posted:

Hi.

This happened because the orange moss was auto-replaced to get rid of some other Ascadian Isles flower or grass (I forgot which).
It looks like this in our current in-dev version:

I figured, although I should say I kinda liked some of the ones I saw where they were more upright, having the model be a huge orange "glom" made it seem more like an exotic acrocarpous moss, and imo if you want it to be more pleurocapous it might be better off as some kind of weird panel-like or carpet-like thing that can also grow up walls or whatever, and maybe change the spore capsules too -- the upright stalks are associated with acros. If I were making moss I would have the oranges moundlike and maybe put in like a purple or some yellow-green carpet moss, that might be good for damp locations that are not stagnant. IMO Andotrhen should have a couple moss guys growing near the waterfall mist if there's mosses in this region. I have a couple different mosses and if the desire to know more intensifies click here: http://www.mossandstonegardens.com/blog/how-to-grow-moss/ (or there's other prob better sites I don't have on hand)

quote:

Okay, I looked at this and I believe you have a version of Better Clothes installed. They were made to be used with Better Bodies, but you don't appear to be using that.
Grum gro-Shalug wears common_pants_02, which we don't edit.
Serul Farys wears common_pants_01_a, same deal.
I have no idea which gloves you are using there.

I can't quite replicate your problem, but if you use meshes meant for Better Bodies compatibility without it, you will get poo poo like this:

What is very telling here is the area around the hip: it curves back inwards with normal clothing meshes, but Better Clothes meshes keep them straight because Better Bodies has slightly wider hips.

So it has to be something like this. If you haven't posted a mod list already, now's the time. If you did, I didn't see it and require a direct link.

I never had better clothes (e: bods, never had better bods. Only thing that's different is dumping firemoth and switching from TDHD to TDSD). I assumed the gloves came with TR because I never saw them on the mainland & Beth's expansions always had some new clothes, so shouldn't TR have new clothes to go with the new armor?

The TR install guide I read said it T_D should be directly under the Bethesda esps. I was thinking maybe it has something to do with enhanced textures, but then wouldn't I want that to be directly above T_D? But then the adamantium armors from beth should be above Enhanced Textures so they get correctly overwritten and then T_D is starting to get pretty low on the list if it's important for it to be as high as possible. I was going to just shove those guys up there and try again but I didn't have time.

Also my understanding is Enhanced Textures literally is just bigger textures that were made by algorithm, nothing with meshes but I could be wrong. I thought DataHD was supposed to be similar.The only case in which I get anything like in your pic would be the old vanilla thing where if you make a beastperson and wear a skirt the knees can pass thru sometimes. Although I dumped my freed slave run when I reinstalled to start fresh with TR so I haven't confirmed that this is still in, if it matters at all. Additionally the starter pants that are basically the same ones in your pic but different color, and other random guys who have those pants, have the dumb diap'd-up look from the original game. There's what appears to be a sleeper in OE who I think has them I'll try to load up and check.

E: aren't these the same pants?

quote:

I can't find the painting you are talking about. Do you have a cell name and screenshot?

Thanks! Even if you are not using Morrowind Rebirth (which has issues when interacting with TR), several other Vvardenfell overhauls are in the works at whatever pace. In time, vanilla TES III will finally meet the standard TR has set. :P

here's a screenshot from when I was trying to capture a bunch of shots describe the weird glove thing (it was right next to me and had better lighting than outside at night):

I tried pulling up a map or quest list of poo poo u can do in OE cause I figured if I saw the name it would jog my memory but the building is just off the screenshots I saw. It's the large bakery that's near the Barrister's Guildhall, like maybe 1 or 2 doors down. Sort of near the mage guild, like a block south iirc. Someone said their bread is "stale as timber." I'll load the game later and edit in the exact location name.

e: can't remember how to get cell names but this the place with the upside down painting is "The Mother Alessia" -- it's right in the front door, first or second thing you see.

Also I just saw a screenshot showing that there's a bunch of cat people in now and lol the lunar lattice is just so drat goofy. Can't wait to start a game in 2099 where the Nerevarine is a housecat who spells, belt of the armor of god is actually a collar.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 24, 2019

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah these gloves are hosed i'm pretty disappointed

should I just nuke the install and start over or what?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Berke Negri posted:

i don't know if I'd go that far, though it's worth pointing out that Imperials were depicted.....really differently in-game in Redguard, and im not sure how much the PGE actually informed the art direction of that game

thematically they're the same though, Redguard and Morrowind both paint the Empire as a colonial/imperialist venture and that theme is really missing in Oblivion imo (and subverted in Skyrim)

edit: how imps looked in game

how they looked in cutscenes

theres not really much to work with i think to draw conclusions

I wouldn't say it's subverted in Skyrim. Not to go on a rant, but it seems like it was furthered. The Dunmer are a subaltern people to the imperials and Morrowind itself a weird, exotic, frontier colony they want to exploit for mineral wealth. The Nords and the Imperials otoh both have slightly different cultures, but they're essentially the same people with a shared history, with Skyrim the first colony on the stolen land. The Empire's interest in Skyrim is simply one of maintaining their settler-colony's borders. It's Quebec/Canada, essentially. Two colonisers fighting over stolen land.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I wouldn't say it's subverted in Skyrim. Not to go on a rant, but it seems like it was furthered. The Dunmer are a subaltern people to the imperials and Morrowind itself a weird, exotic, frontier colony they want to exploit for mineral wealth. The Nords and the Imperials otoh both have slightly different cultures, but they're essentially the same people with a shared history, with Skyrim the first colony on the stolen land. The Empire's interest in Skyrim is simply one of maintaining their settler-colony's borders. It's Quebec/Canada, essentially. Two colonisers fighting over stolen land.

More Canada/USA. Skyrim has remained closer to their original Atmoran culture, while Cyrodiil has grown bigger and started dominating the entire continent. (Hammerfell is Mexico in this metaphor.)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

And Morrowind is Australia.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Redguards = Spanish Conquistadors

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yokuda is Wales. Not taking questions on this at this time

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Akivir is commonly perceived to be based off the far east but in reality it's sub-Saharan Africa combined with south and south central America.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I never had better clothes (e: bods, never had better bods. Only thing that's different is dumping firemoth and switching from TDHD to TDSD). I assumed the gloves came with TR because I never saw them on the mainland & Beth's expansions always had some new clothes, so shouldn't TR have new clothes to go with the new armor?

The TR install guide I read said it T_D should be directly under the Bethesda esps. I was thinking maybe it has something to do with enhanced textures, but then wouldn't I want that to be directly above T_D? But then the adamantium armors from beth should be above Enhanced Textures so they get correctly overwritten and then T_D is starting to get pretty low on the list if it's important for it to be as high as possible. I was going to just shove those guys up there and try again but I didn't have time.

Also my understanding is Enhanced Textures literally is just bigger textures that were made by algorithm, nothing with meshes but I could be wrong. I thought DataHD was supposed to be similar.The only case in which I get anything like in your pic would be the old vanilla thing where if you make a beastperson and wear a skirt the knees can pass thru sometimes. Although I dumped my freed slave run when I reinstalled to start fresh with TR so I haven't confirmed that this is still in, if it matters at all. Additionally the starter pants that are basically the same ones in your pic but different color, and other random guys who have those pants, have the dumb diap'd-up look from the original game. There's what appears to be a sleeper in OE who I think has them I'll try to load up and check.

E: aren't these the same pants?

Congratulations, you have me completely stumped.
Something is definitely very very wrong (unless you are wildly enabling and disabling mods inbetween screenshots), as it's simply not possible for two NPCs wearing the same pants to display them differently. Even if Tamriel_Data did replace vanilla meshes (which it does not) that just isn't happening.

I can't help you this way, would you be up to a Teamviewer session? PM me if you can.

quote:

here's a screenshot from when I was trying to capture a bunch of shots describe the weird glove thing (it was right next to me and had better lighting than outside at night):

I tried pulling up a map or quest list of poo poo u can do in OE cause I figured if I saw the name it would jog my memory but the building is just off the screenshots I saw. It's the large bakery that's near the Barrister's Guildhall, like maybe 1 or 2 doors down. Sort of near the mage guild, like a block south iirc. Someone said their bread is "stale as timber." I'll load the game later and edit in the exact location name.

e: can't remember how to get cell names but this the place with the upside down painting is "The Mother Alessia" -- it's right in the front door, first or second thing you see.
Noted, thanks, I will fix that.

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 24, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Morrowind modding reached its peak when you had Nords in the wilderness with their penises out.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

shor's bone

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The best is the one on Plaza Brindisi Dorom.

Yeah, just hanging out, hanging it all out, on Morrowind's most prestigious plaza in Morrowind's holiest city. In front of Almalexia's elite Ordinators.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Oblivion is way better than Skyrim.

Disclaimer 1: I don't remember ever reading the "Cyrodiil is jungle" books in Morrowind so wasn't disappointed in the LOTR countryside.

Disclaimer 2: I usually totally ignore the main quest so don't care that Martin was the hero or whatever. I just beeline to the Fighter and Thieves' Guild quests and just let whatever the world-shaking crisis is be. I like it best when my Grand High Archmage Arena Champion Grey Fox High Thief Dark Brotherhood Thumb comes striding across the sky with an army of golden saints baked into his glass armour, picking his teeth with Keening to deliver the three pumpkins Caius ordered when I first arrived, to have him say "Thanks for that, here's an Iron Dagger and a pair of calipers".

Proof 1: I finished all of the Oblivion guild quests (wait, was there a Fighter's Guild in Oblivion or were they replaced by Blackwater?), but in Skyrim I... did the Thieves's Guild quest, realized I don't want to bother climbing High Hrothgar and don't care about the Civil War, and never even finished the game.

Proof 2: Oblivion had a CTD like every 6 minutes, compared to Morrowind where I was hitting F5 so often I wore off the label on the key.

Good news is, I think I'm like mantling Nightingale or something? I dunno, I lost interest.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Atrayonis posted:

Congratulations, you have me completely stumped.
Something is definitely very very wrong (unless you are wildly enabling and disabling mods inbetween screenshots), as it's simply not possible for two NPCs wearing the same pants to display them differently. Even if Tamriel_Data did replace vanilla meshes (which it does not) that just isn't happening.

I can't help you this way, would you be up to a Teamviewer session? PM me if you can.
    Prob what I will do is
  • ditch all the mods and see if a new character has this issue
  • If no, slowly add mods one at a time until I find the culprit and either dump it or find a replacement.
    • If yes:
    • Reinstall morrowind, run it to create the basic game files
    • Redownload MO2
    • Redownload all the mods
    • Set everything back up one at a time, see if it's hosed

I figure if I totally glass my whole install and reconstruct step by step it that means there's something wrong with an individual mod or mods, or some relict error remains. For example if you uninstall the game the registry will remember some of your settings etc -- these persist, but from what I've seen in there uh I think there's 0% chance anything mod related would get in there and if it does it would be poo poo like draw distance or ai distances or something.

Probably I will not be able to do teamviewer for a few days or a while.

Also I've noticed that there's an archive that has different naming between HD & SD: HD has pt_data.bsa, and TD vanilla has PT_Data.bsa. I've seen that MO2 does distinguish between them as meaningfully different files and you have to go reregister them in the ini.

Skyrim's thief's guild sucked and I have never completed it. Brynjolf is a jackolf gently caress that guy.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

i really didnt care for skyrim's thieves guild basically being the mob and not the glorious defender of the poor (by stealing everything from the rich)

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

At the time I didnt like oblivions robin hood thieves guild but thinking back on it i think its because it doesnt really feel like youre improving anything for anyone like you're being told you are. I did think the mob poo poo in skyrims thieves guild was cool, i'm down with collecting protection money. too bad its only one quest in the whole game like that.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Honestly, a storyline with the Thieves Guild as just being the mob sounds a lot better than what we got in Skyrim.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vavrek posted:

Honestly, a storyline with the Thieves Guild as just being the mob sounds a lot better than what we got in Skyrim.

if you ignore the bal molagmer quests, that's what morrowind's is, more or less

>50% of quests are motivated out of spite, most involve blackmail

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Come on, "I've told you my identity five times this conversation already, you just don't remember" is pretty great.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Right so I unchecked TR & TD, and unregistered the archives. Obviously I can't track down those gloves or any of that but my guy still had disjointed arms and legs.

Next I unchecked enhanced textures. Same

Next I unchecked everything not Bethesda. Same thing

Next I unchecked all mods. Same thing.

So I ran the game normally from steam, not from MO2. Extremely same. I don't know how this would happen, I never manually slotted mods into this install.

So next in uninstalled everything completely. Then I installed morrowind off steam again and ran it. I made sure to delete everything in the morrowind folder because when you uninstall it it won't remove literally all files. I didn't do anything with the registry stuff.

Once mw downloaded again I went ahead and fired it up, started a new game, and:
The same loving thing. I don't have a screenshot because when it installed I got a new ini that had screenshots turned off. I have no idea what the gently caress's going on but every nord I start is bisected through both forearms and calves.

So I uninstalled, deleted the registry branch for MW, deleted everything in the MW folder that the uninstaller didn't catch, rebooted the computer, reinstalled from scratch, opened it in ancestral resolution and made a new guy and -- the male nord has chopped up forearms and calves when looking at the inventory. I don't know what the gently caress is going on here I feel like I've gone insane and the nords are actually fine. Were... were the nords always like this? Is this normal for nords??

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This is gonna be like that one AI bug that nobody found in Aliens: Colonial Marines for like 5 years, it's been there since launch but nobody noticed because who the gently caress plays Nords? :smuggo:

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 25, 2019

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Also I decided for kicks I would start a new game, just work thru the combos of race/gender, then get naked to see if the arms and legs connect correctly. I just took it from the top and started working my way down. By the time I got to high elf male I was like "gently caress this" and almost every combo I've tried has been hosed up. There's "disconnected" where there's a gap like with the nord forearm, there's "slid" like the nord calf, and there's normal. Out of the ones I tested only the dark elf had actually functioning limbs that looked normal. Argonian M&F had normal forearms and disconnected calves. High elf male had both disconnected.

I feel like this is some really weird thing that is not normal and may indicate some esoteric problem, but it only shows up while that part of the body is exposed, and only in the inventory screen, so I don't know if I should care. Probably I'll just redownload the mods and play a real playthru this year and move to another game. I seriously feel like maybe this is actually normal and I just never noticed before, but maybe it's some ultra crazy clusterfuck.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'll check my install when I get home.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011
The issue with the arms and legs in the inventory menu is happening with me too on a fresh install, so I'd wager it's a normal part of morrowind.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lol what the gently caress how did I just notice this only now? I mean admittedly I mostly picked Dark Elf in my earlier games from years gone by, and I hardly took my clothes off, but what the gently caress??

lmao I blew like several hours irl getting weird about it.

Turns out:

Agents are GO! posted:

This is gonna be like that one AI bug that nobody found in Aliens: Colonial Marines for like 5 years, it's been there since launch but nobody noticed because who the gently caress plays Nords? :smuggo:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Seriously, I read:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

only the dark elf had actually functioning limbs that looked normal.
and thought "Oh, no wonder I've never noticed this."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Atrayonis posted:

Noted, thanks, I will fix that.

Hang it sideways now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Don't forget that Morrowind is more than just the island of Vvardenfell. Mainland Morrowind is much closer to Imperial culture than the island, which is far more autonomous due to hostile climate and native people. Mainland Dunmer don't even sound like the ones from Vvardenfell due to not having grown up literally breathing ash.