Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I think my main problem with Blood was twofold, partly it just being really hard with high hp enemies and hitscanners; and also the first couple levels have an arsenal that, while good, I don't feel really gets to shine. It wasn't until I got the shotgun on skill 2 that it felt like it clicked. Also, I just wasn't using dynamite effectively, which feels like a huge deal.

I started episode 2 on skill 3 and I'm having a way better time, now that I *get* the game, and also had the full episode 1 arsenal by like the end of the first level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Overbite posted:

I usually play on the higher settings because they usually add more enemies. Doom on anything lower than Ultra Violence feels so empty

IWAD Doom, absolutely, and I think that's a distinction that needs to be made. The id maps mostly feel fine to me in UV these days. Something like Valiant? Not so much.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gobblecoque posted:

People should play whatever setting they like but in the early FPS thread they do have to expect some light ribbing for playing on babby mode.

"Play on Normal as god intended" turns out to be really horrific advice, especially for the jankier shooters. Like on Doom you should play as high as you can comfortably play, yes. Many games scale up through infinite levels of unfun.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

"Play on Normal as god intended" turns out to be really horrific advice, especially for the jankier shooters. Like on Doom you should play as high as you can comfortably play, yes. Many games scale up through infinite levels of unfun.

On the flipside, more games should do like Earthworm Jim for Sega CD where you get a special message from the developers when you beat it on the hardest difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTu4fCxPi8g

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:yeah:

Difficulty options are good, games that try to shame you for picking the one that's most fun for you can gently caress off.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Vakal posted:

On the flipside, more games should do like Earthworm Jim for Sega CD where you get a special message from the developers when you beat it on the hardest difficulty.

On the flip-flipside, do something for Easy Mode too, as Earthworm Jim for Sega CD also did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0DagHVOapU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

:yeah:

Difficulty options are good, games that try to shame you for picking the one that's most fun for you can gently caress off.

What games would those be?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gobblecoque posted:

Itagaki with the ol' pink bow if you do easy mode in Ninja Gaiden is one notable gag. Recently played some Mega Man 11 on difficulty level 2, "casual" difficulty. Perhaps the greatest insult yet. Duke Nukem with "piece of cake", "let's rock", that's positive, and delicious, I like that. Random note, the Dragon Bruce Lee game on SNES also has a "piece of cake" mode. He also liked cake I assume. I know that because Mega64 just streamed it.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Doom is one of those games, I guess? I find it hilarious that anyone's self-esteem would be so fragile that a tongue in cheek riffing (and suitable given the context) would them feel the sads.

How dare this game shame me!!!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Vakal posted:

Sadly, this message was probably recorded by EWJ creator Doug TenNapel who loves to remind people who he thinks are not the best.

(The PC version had red book audio and featured that message as well.)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 25, 2019

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gobblecoque posted:

Heavy Metal posted:

Itagaki with the ol' pink bow if you do easy mode in Ninja Gaiden is one notable gag. Recently played some Mega Man 11 on difficulty level 2, "casual" difficulty. Perhaps the greatest insult yet. Duke Nukem with "piece of cake", "let's rock", that's positive, and delicious, I like that. Random note, the Dragon Bruce Lee game on SNES also has a "piece of cake" mode. He also liked cake I assume. I know that because Mega64 just streamed it.

Some people got really upset when the lowest difficulty setting of Wolfenstein: TNC (and TNO & TOB, for that matter--although I feel like it didn't get a lot of attention until TNC?) used a goofy "baby-faced BJ Blazkowicz", like in the original Wolf 3D. Somebody even wrote an article about it.

Realistically, we should probably be tracking who played those games on that difficulty, so we can throw them in prison for the crime of being bad at video games.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Vakal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuYUoLM8BNA

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Some people got really upset when the lowest difficulty setting of Wolfenstein: TNC (and TNO & TOB, for that matter--although I feel like it didn't get a lot of attention until TNC?) used a goofy "baby-faced BJ Blazkowicz", like in the original Wolf 3D. Somebody even wrote an article about it.

Realistically, we should probably be tracking who played those games on that difficulty, so we can throw them in prison for the crime of being bad at video games.

There's no easy mode... in the big house. - Bob Saget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpZWr28Nd6E

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The games are mocking you for being too sensitive and your reaction is to... be more sensitive? How insecure are you that such a thing bothers you? It's just a joke. The only thing that I can come up with is you're offended because you know in your heart that what they are saying about you is true.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I don't know, Blazkowicz with a baby bonnet always amused me.

But seriously people should just play games as they wish and not give a gently caress about what others think. Just have fun. I know I can't have fun playing Blood on high difficulties.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

In the future, difficulty selection menus will scan your mind and hit you with your deepest secrets and weaknesses.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

anatomi posted:

In the future, difficulty selection menus will scan your mind and hit you with your deepest secrets and weaknesses.

Select Difficulty

I should eat better
I will one day die
>I will die alone
Its my fault she left

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Heavy Metal posted:

Itagaki with the ol' pink bow if you do easy mode in Ninja Gaiden is one notable gag.

It's not just easy mode, you have to play easy mode and then die a bunch of times in a row on the first level and then the game offers you super easy mode which comes with the pink bow.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Every adult is allowed to make the decision of what difficulty they play on, just like how every adult is allowed to decide if they want to wear diapers and carry around a giant rattle.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
false equivalency: i play on NIGHTMARE while wearing a diaper

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I think games should generally avoid mocking their audience, especially about the difficulty levels that the designers purposely designed and implemented. If easy mode is for dumb babies why did you design it that way then huh?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Linguica posted:

I think games should generally avoid mocking their audience, especially about the difficulty levels that the designers purposely designed and implemented. If easy mode is for dumb babies why did you design it that way then huh?

Cause they know there are dumb babies out there playing their game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That's what I remember liking about Bioshock's difficulty options. It noted during the selection that easy was for people new to FPS shooters, medium for people who have played FPS before and hard for seasoned veterans.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I can't imagine being so emotionally fragile that a video game calling easy difficulty 'baby mode' could upset you. Life must be loving exhausting to people like that.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Now that we are talking of difficulty settings, let me tell you me pet peeve: games with difficulty settings but they only have Easy/Normal/Hard and there is a big gap between 'Normal' and 'Hard'. I found a good amount of games where Normal is too easy for me, but Hard wasn't balanced well, instead of say, being 25-30% harder than Normal (what I wanted), it's 70% or even 100% harder. You can imagine how the game was balanced for Normal and then at some point they said 'well, for Hard just double everything, done! in any case that's only for super hardcore players which will be happy with any supertough difficulty'.

Surprisingly I found this problem even in Starcraft 2. Strange given Blizzard is famous for their polish. The single player campaign was a total pushover except in the last Zerg mission and the last 2 Protoss missions, just with building all the poo poo you could in a big blob and attack-move your big blog you solved every problem. No need for tactics, strategy, etc.
On the other hand the hard difficulty was much harder, designed to be a decent for veteran Starcraft players who know all the unit shortcuts from memory. People who fall between the two settings? Tough luck: :/

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 25, 2019

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
The worst kind of difficulty setting is the type in Double Dragon II, where on easy the game just ends after the second level on the helicopter, forcing you to play it again on the highest difficulty just to beat the game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just play on easy and tell everyone you played nightmare. It literally doesn’t matter and no one cares.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Play whatever difficulty you like, but consider not letting your ego take a hit if a game menu pokes fun at your choice

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BattleMaster posted:

Play whatever difficulty you like, but consider not letting your ego take a hit if a game menu pokes fun at your choice

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Dark Souls should not have an easy mode, the difficulty is part of the story and setting.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Did Bungie ever explain why Marathon difficulty settings are set up such that Total Carnage is often easier than Major Damage?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
What’s the dark souls of classic FPS

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

This isn't the 90s, you're not allowed to play games for fun anymore. Difficulty levels are serious fuckin' business.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So is Half Life to blame for the decline of the rocket launcher? From a mainstay FPS weapon that you've got a lot of ammo for into a slow-firing rarity you horde to use against particularly tough enemies or scripted encounters?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Overbite posted:

Blood

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Shadow Warrior 2's difficulty screen is poking fun at goofy macho high difficulty stuff so the OMG snowflakes responses just make it funnier.

I think more of a problem with difficulty selection is when it's a permanent choice and it's the first thing you do in the game. You don't even know what the difficulty scale will be so asking someone to choose is kinda dumb. Better to let the player change between levels or something at least.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Overbite posted:

Brutal Chex Quest

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

There was a lot of stuff about the new GoW that made me mad, but one of the biggest was there not being a cheevo for beating it on the hardest difficulty. Now I don't know which of my friends are fake gamers.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Turin Turambar posted:

Now that we are talking of difficulty settings, let me tell you me pet peeve: games with difficulty settings but they only have Easy/Normal/Hard and there is a big gap between 'Normal' and 'Hard'. I found a good amount of games where Normal is too easy for me, but Hard wasn't balanced well, instead of say, being 25-30% harder than Normal (what I wanted), it's 70% or even 100% harder. You can imagine how the game was balanced for Normal and then at some point they said 'well, for Hard just double everything, done! in any case that's only for super hardcore players which will be happy with any supertough difficulty'.

Surprisingly I found this problem even in Starcraft 2. Strange given Blizzard is famous for their polish. The single player campaign was a total pushover except in the last Zerg mission and the last 2 Protoss missions, just with building all the poo poo you could in a big blob and attack-move your big blog you solved every problem. No need for tactics, strategy, etc.
On the other hand the hard difficulty was much harder, designed to be a decent for veteran Starcraft players who know all the unit shortcuts from memory. People who fall between the two settings? Tough luck: :/
Yeah now I tend to google the recommended difficulty for a game that I don't know much about. My most recent personal example was when I restarted Just Cause on easy, after reading that the actual gunplay is mostly tedious and just gets in the way of all the screwing around that the game is known for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Not an FPS but I hated the Witcher 2's gameplay so much its the only game I can think where I set it down to easy.