Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Radish posted:

It would be like if Luffy suddenly ate six more devil fruits that gave him super sword, kicking, and multiple hand powers.

You mean things like him randomly developing super-speed, ability to increase size of his limbs, ability to instantly change direction of his attacks or ability to see the future? Sure am glad nothing like that happened in One Piece! :rolleyes:

Chapter was good, the whining about development of Deku's power is overexaggerated, hope that Shinso kicks Deku rear end and then get his rear end kicked by Uraraka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Radish posted:

Deku was always going to be the best and most powerful who got the most attention everyone knows that. It's just dumping a bunch of stuff on him makes him less interesting and overshadows everyone else even more in a genre where that was already going to happen. It would be like if Luffy suddenly ate six more devil fruits that gave him super sword, kicking, and multiple hand powers.

It's generic shonen but was also pretty fun and had a strong supporting cast. I guess it depends on how this goes from here but I don't think being worried is that unreasonable.
Luffy's boundman never made much sense to me and haki is the most "nuh uh" playground power imaginable

Also one of Kirishima's complexes is literally that his hardening power is a fairly common kind of quirk to the point there's a tertiary cast member that has a similar quirk.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lt. Lizard posted:

You mean things like him randomly developing super-speed, ability to increase size of his limbs, ability to instantly change direction of his attacks or ability to see the future? Sure am glad nothing like that happened in One Piece! :rolleyes:

Chapter was good, the whining about development of Deku's power is overexaggerated, hope that Shinso kicks Deku rear end and then get his rear end kicked by Uraraka.

lol that's absolutely not the same loving thing at all

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lt. Lizard posted:

There's a stark difference between Luffy using creative (if unrealistic) uses of his power to continue being the best and Deku suddenly getting force whips out of nowhere. No one complained when Deku started shooting air bullets with the help of his new gloves.

Haki is different entirely since multiple people can do it and isn't a specific super power. Haki arguments are also terrible so let's not drag those into this thread.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Arist posted:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Powerful rebuttal.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

And why is that?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

And why is that?

Because at least a couple of those are reasonable applications of the person being made rubber and the others aren’t very special when anyone can do them

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Luffy's powers and power-ups follow a general theme: his body is made out of rubber. He does weird poo poo with that. Using his leg to pump his blood faster or literally inflating his arm to increase the volume of his punches don't really make that much sense if you think about them for very long, but they fit the theme of his powerset really well, and are fun and imaginative applications of his power, which initially seems useless but eventually reveals itself to be incredibly powerful in the hands of a committed user.

And I don't really give a poo poo about Haki but like a third of the cast can do that poo poo at this point, it's not really further boosting the protagonist at anyone else's expense.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Yeah and passing previous generations' powers to the next is Deku's power so stop bitching about it thanks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yeah and passing previous generations' powers to the next is Deku's power so stop bitching about it thanks.

NEVER

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Then his power sucks and is lame

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I fumbled around and managed to randomly click the post button, but I rather let that whole thing be, because it is indeed the most powerful rebuttal. :allears:

As for actual post: OfA granting Deku additional powers has actually more foreshadowing and internal power logic than things like Luffy's Gear system or his super-powered Haki form with random and completely unique downside.

I love One Piece, but using it as an example of shonen that doesn't pull powers out of its rear end is hilarious.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
we'll see how this whole fiasco plays out when the dust from this fight settles i guess

several of the kids and teachers will definitely be muttering "gently caress is this" from the sidelines

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

And why is that?

Even if the designs for all of the women has been making a steady decline since it began, I assume that it's still decent about still letting them have fights throughout all the arcs.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Haki is just an excuse for Luffy to upgrade to vulcanized rubber so idk why people hate it so much

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Two Tone Shoes posted:

That literally wasn't how it was explained to work until one chapter ago. This is the biggest revelation of the entire comic so stop trying to get people talking about it in a discussion thread.

If you like it that's absolutely fine but complaining about people discussing what could significantly change how the main character functions is ridiculous.

Lt. Lizard posted:

I fumbled around and managed to randomly click the post button, but I rather let that whole thing be, because it is indeed the most powerful rebuttal. :allears:

As for actual post: OfA granting Deku additional powers has actually more foreshadowing and internal power logic than things like Luffy's Gear system or his super-powered Haki form with random and completely unique downside.

I love One Piece, but using it as an example of shonen that doesn't pull powers out of its rear end is hilarious.

One Piece definetely pulls powers out of its rear end but there is a consistency to it. Luffy's abilities have a theme to them around rubber from inflation to vulcanization.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 25, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

we'll see how this whole fiasco plays out when the dust from this fight settles i guess

several of the kids and teachers will definitely be muttering "gently caress is this" from the sidelines

Getting so amped up during a training exercise that you suddenly grow a new power seems to be the most PLUS ULTRA thing you could ever do, IMO.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

Getting so amped up during a training exercise that you suddenly grow a new power seems to be the most PLUS ULTRA thing you could ever do, IMO.

I mean this is fair.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Deku getting a bunch of cool utility powers owns and I wanna see him train with Sero.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Mina getting to be awesome was well-deserved. Monoma got dunked on twice, by copying the baseline stockpile+transfer Quirk (I do wonder how the transfer half would work from a copy...) and then judo thrown by Uraraka. Even Mineta got to be useful! On the whole this chapter was Not Bad, but it sure didn't do anything to dissuade the notion that Deku would just get the old OfA users Quirks at convenient moments considering Black Whip forcibly manifested again in order to dunk on Shinsou, despite Deku explicitly not wanting to use it right now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The one thing I'll say might be neat about the way this is being handled right now is that there's absolutely no way Deku can try to hide this, right? Something's gotta give here, and him suddenly manifesting new powers in front of the entire class should really change a lot about the character dynamics.

...Right? Right?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arist posted:

The one thing I'll say might be neat about the way this is being handled right now is that there's absolutely no way Deku can try to hide this, right? Something's gotta give here, and him suddenly manifesting new powers in front of the entire class should really change a lot about the character dynamics.

...Right? Right?

if the aftermath consists of midoriya's classmates backslapping him and going "lol your power sure is nuts" while bakugo silently fumes i will be terribly vexed

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

if the aftermath consists of midoriya's classmates backslapping him and going "lol your power sure is nuts" while bakugo silently fumes i will be terribly vexed

That would be both frustrating and hilarious.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I still think this is gonna end with Deku eventually giving all of the powers except for OfA to other people in his class. Kirishima could use those whips, since he doesn't have a great way to be mobile, for example.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The class as a whole seems to be kinda baffled as to the hows and whats of Midoriya's quirk which ironically kinda fits because in universe the exact nature of it when All Might had it was a huge public mystery.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

I still think this is gonna end with Deku eventually giving all of the powers except for OfA to other people in his class. Kirishima could use those whips, since he doesn't have a great way to be mobile, for example.

That would fit the One for All theme.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Going by that fantasy color spread, I'm going to go ahead and guess that he gives half of his quirk to Bakugou.

Also, I bet Deku is going to spend a lot of time fighting nomu and villains with multiple quirks from now on.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rhonne posted:

Going by that fantasy color spread, I'm going to go ahead and guess that he gives half of his quirk to Bakugou.

Also, I bet Deku is going to spend a lot of time fighting nomu and villains with multiple quirks from now on.

imo bakugo would dunk his head in gasoline and french-kiss endeavor before accepting a pity quirk

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Oxxidation posted:

imo bakugo would dunk his head in gasoline and french-kiss endeavor before accepting a pity quirk

From DEKU!

Yeah, there is no way that is happening.
I'll withhold judgment for now. Yeah he did manage to grab those pipes, but we've yet to see this fight play out completely.

Mina and Mineta were surprisingly good and that color spread needs to be a wallscroll or something.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rhonne posted:

It’s the winning vs protecting thing. They each have a half of the sword because they each embody a different part of what it meant to be the Symbol of Peace.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Radish posted:

One Piece definetely pulls powers out of its rear end but there is a consistency to it. Luffy's abilities have a theme to them around rubber from inflation to vulcanization.

Deku's thing was always that he had no power of his own and that he was given OfA - the accumulation of power of all its previous holders. Until recently, the most influential, powerful and well-known of those holders was All Might (for obvious reasons) and so Deku's manifestation of OfA mirrored that of All Might. However at this point in story, All Might is powerless, his influence is waning and every development that happens, happens to Toshinori Yagi the man, instead of All Might the holder of OfA. Additionally Deku is slowly discovering the history of OfA and its previous holders. As a result Deku's OfA begins to resemble All Might's power less and less, while taking on more and more elements from other OfA holders. Its transition that symbolizes how All Might (as a symbol of peace, not as Toshinori Yagi who is obviously still important character) is becoming less and less influential and important to both the story and Deku's development. Don't know if its a theme, but I think its neat. :shrug:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Okay, but imagine a scenario where Bakugou is shot with a qurik erasing bullet and Deku tries to fix things by shoving a hand full of his hair down his throat.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Radish posted:

That literally wasn't how it was explained to work until one chapter ago. This is the biggest revelation of the entire comic so stop trying to get people talking about it in a discussion thread.

If you like it that's absolutely fine but complaining about people discussing what could significantly change how the main character functions is ridiculous.

Man this has been a running theory since the first Shinso fight.

The discussion has also been the exact same people repeating the exact same thing several times. I'm not trying to stop discussion but the endless bitching about stuff that hasn't happened has drowned out the rest of the thread the past two weeks.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 25, 2019

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This is like Eri's rewind quirk. It was a potentially world changing thing so it monopolized the conversation while it was developing but when it turned out to not be a big deal people moved on.

I agree it kinda sucks that this is being dropped when all the other people on the team are doing awesome stuff since it's just naturally going to overshadow them. Mina getting face time is always great.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Guys it annoys me personally when people discuss the Big Thing That Begs Discussion, can you stop?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheKingofSprings posted:

Like there was actually a great chance to call back to the initial premise Horikoshi wanted to run with and have Deku go quirkless for this fight.

Then he pulls out flawless whips his second time running.

He caught two objects in the air. I'm not really sure this is like "True Black Whip Mastery Style" we're seeing here. Just a kid desperate not to get donked by some stuff grabbing them outta the air.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He caught two objects in the air. I'm not really sure this is like "True Black Whip Mastery Style" we're seeing here. Just a kid desperate not to get donked by some stuff grabbing them outta the air.

Considering 5 minutes ago the last use of it was “massive property damage and hitting the love interest”, and it took a massive chunk of the manga for Deku to do things without breaking a bone this is loving Ultra Instinct in comparison to the trajectory of OfA: Fist Style

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm glad Deku learned Ultra Instinct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheKingofSprings posted:

Considering 5 minutes ago the last use of it was “massive property damage and hitting the love interest”, and it took a massive chunk of the manga for Deku to do things without breaking a bone this is loving Ultra Instinct in comparison to the trajectory of OfA: Fist Style

The last instance was an unknown power activating when deku was already freaking out and making him freak out more activating the power more and more.

Yeah calmed down Deku being able to not explode into tentacles makes perfect sense and still isn't some "WOW HE'S TRULY MASTERED THE TECHNIQUE".

This is the kind of thing I"m talking about when I say a lot of people in the thread misread or really overract to basic poo poo. Like yeah there's things to discuss if this whole Hidden Powers poo poo goes sideways but "Being able ot use it without instantly becoming an orgy of Venoms" isn't exactly that point at all.