Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Shaggar was right :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

is there anything surprising about this? it's been apparent for a while that free-to-play games are the 1-900 numbers of the 21st century. the only difference is that instead of someone speed reading "kids get your parents' permission before calling" at the end of a tv commercial the disclaimer is buried in a 40 page eula

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

graph posted:

buzzfeed news us desk all got laid off today

the opinion desk at huffpo got closed yesterday

that was the section they opened this time last year in order to stop using unpaid contributors

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

PCjr sidecar posted:

also living in Actual Detroit you get to pay insane auto insurance (like > $5K a year)

The way sos handles proof of insurance is insane too. The state does not pull registration or get notifidd electronically when cancel insurance. And mi is not part of the drivers license compact so you have people with suspended licdnses in other states getting a mi license. In areas like detroit it is common for people to pay for one month of insuranc, renew, then cancel the rest of the year because of the insane cost. So you have a ton of uninsured drivers

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
buzzfeed finally reaching respectable media status

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

can't wait until all news is copypasta reddit comments

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The_Franz posted:

is there anything surprising about this? it's been apparent for a while that free-to-play games are the 1-900 numbers of the 21st century. the only difference is that instead of someone speed reading "kids get your parents' permission before calling" at the end of a tv commercial the disclaimer is buried in a 40 page eula
I dunno I think 1-900 is still worse because there’s less barrier to entry. I don’t know about kids these days but when I was growing up it’s not like I had access to my parents credit cards readily to buy thousands of dollars of refrigerator floss-dancing hats or w/e. it seems not letting your 10 year old have your credit card is a smart thing to do?

not that the onus should be on a parent and death2facebook n pinstagram et al, but it seems like some white people really do the least amount of parenting possible and then surprised.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Xaris posted:

it seems not letting your 10 year old have your credit card is a smart thing to do?

most of these stories involve stored cc info and the kid is just pushing the auto-buy button over and over and never gets challenged. if you could do that with a 1-900 number there would absolutely have been the same sort of horror stories

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

zuck comes to your house and kills you with a stun gun and a knife, then eats you

https://twitter.com/_danilo/status/1088871785502855173

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

I dunno I think 1-900 is still worse because there’s less barrier to entry. I don’t know about kids these days but when I was growing up it’s not like I had access to my parents credit cards readily to buy thousands of dollars of refrigerator floss-dancing hats or w/e. it seems not letting your 10 year old have your credit card is a smart thing to do?

essentially all of these purchases are done with stored credit cards on the parent's iphone. the parents presumably check the "stop asking for my fingerprint all the time" box and aren't aware that the games allow in-app payments. certainly they aren't aware that you can spend thousands of dollars on a stupid pet shop game for 8 year olds or whatever.

i feel like it's ripe for some legislation along the lines of how non-compete contracts and unreadable EULAs are starting to be considered unenforceable. it is unreasonable to expect people to know that a "free" video game could allow a child to make tens of thousands of dollars in credit card charges in a matter of minutes, and hide the charges behind a "press here to get 10 golden retriever puppies now!" button to boot, and a proper legal system should recognize that and build protections against it.

but this is america, so

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
buzzfeed, more like pissfeed

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

it is unreasonable to expect people to know that a "free" video game could allow a child to make tens of thousands of dollars in credit card charges in a matter of minutes
Not to say that this is sufficient, but I imagine that's why both apple and google explicitly note when apps have in-app purchases in their stores. Obviously you still wouldn't expect the charges to be that high, but probably they decided that this is the absolutely minimum in the store to have credit card companies side with them or something.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mystes posted:

Not to say that this is sufficient, but I imagine that's why both apple and google explicitly note when apps have in-app purchases in their stores. Obviously you still wouldn't expect the charges to be that high, but probably they decided that this is the absolutely minimum in the store to have credit card companies side with them or something.

does facebook do that too?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
apple also got sued over that so they cracked down and changed os features so accidental sneak purchases are much harder

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's less about documentation and more about what a reasonable person would expect. this is the same reason that no-compete clauses are now illegal in california -- because no reasonable person would agree to a contract that says "you can't work in the same field in which you are an expert for the next 5 years" or whatever. even if they signed their name to it, it's stupid and ridiculous.

like, a more blatant example would be that even if you sign a contract saying i can punch you in the balls, it's still illegal for me to punch you in the balls.

telling the person "this game lets you make purchases after the fact" is not a sufficient legal defense against the game charging you tens of thousands of dollars, because no one expects a game to cost that much. it's ridiculous and unreasonable.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

like, a more blatant example would be that even if you sign a contract saying i can punch you in the balls, it's still illegal for me to punch you in the balls.

i thought we'd be beyond kink shaming in yospos by now

mystes
May 31, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

does facebook do that too?
They probably didn't bother to ask their lawyers.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Imagine giving your credit card to facebook. lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BMan posted:

Imagine giving your credit card to facebook. lol

i looked it up and oh of course, on mobile facebook can just bill your carrier for you, no password or credit card required:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

loving hell

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

imagine giving any info to Facebook

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

imagine giving any info to Facebook
The beauty is that you don't even have to give them anything; they already have it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's impressive that all the worst case nightmare scenarios for social media and malicious actors having your credit card info from back in the late 90s early 2000s are just straight up how facebook does business.

like, they watched the net and decided that was an instruction manual

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

essentially all of these purchases are done with stored credit cards on the parent's iphone. the parents presumably check the "stop asking for my fingerprint all the time" box and aren't aware that the games allow in-app payments. certainly they aren't aware that you can spend thousands of dollars on a stupid pet shop game for 8 year olds or whatever.

i feel like it's ripe for some legislation along the lines of how non-compete contracts and unreadable EULAs are starting to be considered unenforceable. it is unreasonable to expect people to know that a "free" video game could allow a child to make tens of thousands of dollars in credit card charges in a matter of minutes, and hide the charges behind a "press here to get 10 golden retriever puppies now!" button to boot, and a proper legal system should recognize that and build protections against it.

but this is america, so
This would be easily fixable with a per app, auth-required, off by default setting, but MAH APP STOAH REVENU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

lean in

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

*licks eye*

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The_Franz posted:

My friends and I used to call the sexy 1-900 numbers from public phones as a way of getting a cheap (free) thrill.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1088910829016223745

nerd houses

oh man

quote:

His house known as Villa Simonyi, or the "Windows 2000 House," because it has 2,000 windows.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Hi

https://twitter.com/CNBCtech/status/1088895012690190337

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh man i was hoping for some up close shots of the ellison weebmansion

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

why would Facebook have engineers on staff?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

barefeet are legal people are my favs even more so than pitbull people

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

guillotine

seriously

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

why would Facebook have engineers on staff?

they mean programmers

and by programmers they mean typists

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
like plenty of guilded-age-and-before rich people owned large estates but they also had guests around, often for extended periods of times, and parties and stuff all the time so all that space was used

half these nerds have like no friends and aren't going to be throwing any parties -- its just dick waving and their suburban rotted brains seeking sprawl thats now unfettered by their access to money

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

quote:

The former sales employee recalled seeing engineers walk barefoot into the bathroom

:gonk:

that is beyond gross. we keep tidy bathrooms here at my work and i wouldn't think of doing that. i can only imagine the piss puddles those turbonerds are leaving

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no lie if i had billions of dollars i would definitely have a big estate

just that it would have like a 2000 square foot house in the middle with a barn full of machine tools next door and the other 95% would be a forest

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

:gonk:

that is beyond gross. we keep tidy bathrooms here at my work and i wouldn't think of doing that. i can only imagine the piss puddles those turbonerds are leaving

There was a guy in my office who would wash his feet in the sink every day. I believe the feet washing was a religious thing, while choosing the normal bathroom over the locker room was a nerd thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'd live in the woods way the gently caress away from america in a nice, small cabin and never work again