Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Welp
gently caress the Pats
gently caress the Rams?
gently caress the Refs
gently caress
View Results

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

Believe he’s talking about the Auburn tree that the Alabama guy killed.

thank you

quote:

This Iron Bowl — the annual gridiron battle between Auburn and Alabama — marks the five-year anniversary of when the legendary trees at Toomer’s Corner were poisoned.

Toomer’s Corner is at the intersection of Magnolia Avenue and College Street in Auburn and connects the Alabama city’s downtown to the university campus. It marked a place of celebration; where Tiger fans would engage in the tradition of "rolling Toomer’s Corner" with toilet paper, a celebration that took place after a significant sports victory.

But nearly five years ago, the unthinkable happened. It was discovered the oak trees had become ill — poisoned, in fact. An herbicide used to kill trees was discovered after the Tigers had won the national championship in 2011.

The legion of Auburn fans began to pay tribute to the trees. Orange and blue pompoms were laid at the base of the cordoned-off oaks along with flowers and signs with messages like "Get well soon" and "PLEASE GOD SAVE THESE TREES," it was reported in early 2011.

An oak tree cut down at Toomer’s Corner in 2013.

The unthinkable act turned out to be the work of one Harvey Updyke, an Alabama fan of levels few could comprehend, and who admitted to poisoning the trees after Alabama’s 2010 Iron Bowl loss on Paul Finebaum’s Radio Show:

"The weekend after the Iron Bowl, I went to Auburn, Ala., because I live 30 miles away, and I poisoned the Toomer’s trees," the caller, who named himself "Al from Dadeville" told Finebaum. "Al" said he used Spike 80DF, also known as tebuthiuron, and the trees "definitely will die." The caller signed off with, "Roll drat Tide."

Police traced the phone records to Updyke, who was then arrested and charged with one count of first-degree criminal mischief.

In 2013, Updyke pleaded guilty to criminal damage of an agricultural facility. His sentence required him to serve at least six months in jail and spend five years on supervised probation for the Class C felony. He’s also banned from entering Auburn University property.

Updyke was also fined $800,000. According to The Auburn Plainsman, he had paid a grand total of $99, in one payment, as of September 2014.

Upon his release in 2013, attorney Andrew Stanley said Updyke had one request: "He wanted a banana and he got a banana," he said. "That’s it."

Bananas. The perfect word to describe the entire sad saga.

And in February Auburn planted two South Carolina-groomed live oaks to replace those that were poisoned.

This

Silly Burrito posted:

Also, there’s also a lot of fans who aren’t melting down, they’re just depressed as hell.

Is a fair point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

A.o.D. posted:

I'm still p. mad about it.

I just fluctuate between the two.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Saints fans got robbed, they should be pissed.

But Brees shouldn’t have thrown that blimp in OT.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^His arm got hit

Asproigerosis posted:

Congratulations Saints fans! After a long and arduous battle, you have managed to dethrone Seahawks fans to become the most repulsive fan base in the NFL! Your resolute indignation that your team is the first to ever be hosed over from a bad ref call is truly beyond the pale and thus propelled you past the legion of fake 12 booms.

gently caress yeah gonna have a parade

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Silly Burrito posted:

I just fluctuate between the two.

At this point I'm just gonna enjoy the circus as the NFL tries to deal with the fallout. I got a little mad again when I saw Roby-Coleman post a video of himself bragging about his helmet-to-helmet which was pretty gross, but whatev.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bosushi! posted:

At this point I'm just gonna enjoy the circus as the NFL tries to deal with the fallout. I got a little mad again when I saw Roby-Coleman post a video of himself bragging about his helmet-to-helmet which was pretty gross, but whatev.

I’ve pretty much avoided sports media since Sunday. I’m assuming Goodell hasn’t said much if it all, right?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

I’ve pretty much avoided sports media since Sunday. I’m assuming Goodell hasn’t said much if it all, right?

There’s nothing he can say to make it better.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Silly Burrito posted:

Nah and Ben Watson put out a statement criticizing him for it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He should be a man and hold a press conference. They haven't even announced a fine for that hit.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Asproigerosis posted:

Congratulations Saints fans! After a long and arduous battle, you have managed to dethrone Seahawks fans to become the most repulsive fan base in the NFL! Your resolute indignation that your team is the first to ever be hosed over from a bad ref call is truly beyond the pale and thus propelled you past the legion of fake 12 booms.

man you got us there it does suck to be the one fanbase out of 32 with idiots in it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There’s nothing he can say to make it better.

“gently caress the Saints, go Pats” would be better entertainment

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

hobbesmaster posted:

Hell, I’d laugh my rear end off if he did this.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

GD_American posted:

man you got us there it does suck to be the one fanbase out of 32 with idiots in it

I don't really recall any other fanbase demanding a rematch, filing lawsuits, and having their congressional representatives plan on bringing forth congressional investigations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

itd be the first likeable thing hes done.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
To be fair, all sports should have their anti-trust exemptions revoked.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What so a jury can award a competing league $1 after they’re shut down?

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Asproigerosis posted:

I don't really recall any other fanbase demanding a rematch, filing lawsuits, and having their congressional representatives plan on bringing forth congressional investigations.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81835a91/article/appeals-court-upholds-dismissal-of-fan-lawsuit-over-patriots-taping

https://www.khq.com/news/dallas-cowboys-fan-files-huge-lawsuit-against-nfl-over-dez/article_4aad4ff1-ff9d-515c-ab90-00ea11533174.html

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/04/05/patriots-fans-file-suit-over-deflategate-suffering/FDpM1IE1NN26VCmmZGLhEP/story.html

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Asproigerosis posted:

Sounds like evidence that they’re not true fans.

Nov 6, 2002

Asproigerosis posted:

Arlen Spector wanted an investigation into Spygate.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As a Saints fan I have accepted the blown call and hope the Rams beat the Patriots.

Also I have learned good rear end sake is like 800-1200 yen in Japan

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

haha, yes! That is something I care very much about!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

that only happened because the owners followed the advice of an incredibly almost unfathomably stupid man.

and it was 3.76.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Can we all take a moment to be thankful that San Fran6-0 is not a reality we live in

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

ur welcome

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Life must be hard for you if you can't remember things that happened four years ago.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Barudak posted:

As a Saints fan I have accepted the blown call and hope the Rams beat the Patriots.

Also I have learned good rear end sake is like 800-1200 yen in Japan

So like $8-12?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/CraigCaplan/status/1088854902502244353

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Le sigh.

Remember the good old days when LA Reps were just being caught with cash in their freezer?

Nov 6, 2002

Ok, this is taking it to a new level.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the loving government is shut down.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The NFL is fining the Rams guy 26k for the hit.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
For the PI?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

The league said helmet to helmet should've been called on top of the PI

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Oh yeah. I guess it was. It was such a light hit at helmet level that I didn't even notice it with all the other stuff going on.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Theres not a player in the league that wouldn’t fork over 26k to go to the Super Bowl. Would’ve liked to have seen him suspended for bragging about the hit on his Facebook but oh well.

Suspend this man too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Nationalize the NFL. Teams belong to the people. Democratically elect referees.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If the NFL says nothing else about the no-call ever, this would be the most hilarious back-door gently caress you to the Saints fanbase imaginable.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

GD_American posted:

If the NFL says nothing else about the no-call ever, this would be the most hilarious back-door gently caress you to the Saints fanbase imaginable.

Especially since Michael Thomas got fined more for the cell phone celebration. lol

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Bosushi! posted:

Especially since Michael Thomas got fined more for the cell phone celebration. lol

Holy poo poo you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Nothing would make me happier than if Nickell Robey-Coleman publicly pays that fine with his Super Bowl share.