Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Pretty sure airplanes are gonna be featured heavily in the next round of politicartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pakled posted:

Because Big Daddy Trump is in charge so obviously everything is going to be fine.

Also in general, most dystopian fiction, or at least the popular ones, tends to associate the dystopian society with right-wing ideals. Unrestricted capitalism is the big one, but you also see nationalism and misogyny as common characteristics of societies in dystopian fiction and that makes conservatives look bad.

People project whatever they want onto their favored fiction; libertarians liked to read Hunger Games as a takedown of BIG GOVT

In terms of politoons I think Payne did one about the movie Elysium, which is as blatant an attack on income inequality as you can possibly make, as an attack on Obama's political elites (it featured Obama playing golf)

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

loquacius posted:

In terms of politoons I think Payne did one about the movie Elysium, which is as blatant an attack on income inequality as you can possibly make, as an attack on Obama's political elites (it featured Obama playing golf)

I'm finding it hard to comprehend how someone could take a Battle Angel Alita knock-off and see anything but the intended message, but I suppose if it's from Payne it makes sense.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I should clarify that I'm not disagreeing with the spirit of Pakled's post, though, which was a theory w/r/t why Tinsley is up his own rear end about dystopias this week, to which my only reply is "yeah maybe, who fuckin knows with that guy"

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Eh, I think even disingenuous idiots understand the main thrust of fictional works whose antagonists are predominantly corporate and wealthy. They can try to twist that poo poo but they hollered over loving Resident Evil being anti-corporate.

At least I'm pretty sure I remember Fox News getting angry over the first Resident Evil movie. Maybe it was a fever dream.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Remember when conservative pundits got really mad about Rainbow Fish, the children's picture book with the message that 'sharing your natural gifts is good'

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

fool_of_sound posted:

Remember when conservative pundits got really mad about Rainbow Fish, the children's picture book with the message that 'sharing your natural gifts is good'

I've seen ire on that from non-conservatives on the grounds that the message is "you have to tear yourself down to make other people accept you".

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm actually IRL mad about If You Give A Mouse A Cookie, whose message is "if you give anything to anyone they will become a useless leech on society"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

"I'm a liberal. No really, I am. I sympathize with racists. BECAUSE NON OF YOU LISTENED TO ME AND WORSHIPED ME AS KING ENLIGHTENED."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

By popular demand posted:

Are there more versions of this video? The one I saw just showed that protester beating his drum while MAGAboi looked like he was trying to hold in a fart and his buddies shouting incomprehensibly.

The beauty of the "watch the full video" line is that you don't actually have to back up your assertion in any way. There are no surrounding circumstances which cast the Covington Catholic kids in a better light, and whenever someone tries to defend them they end up revealing that they think "they were harassed by black Jews earlier" is somehow an excuse, or that they either have no idea what kind of school Covington is or that they think it's entirely unproblematic. Much easier to say "context exists, find it yourself," since at worst that makes you lazy and disingenuous rather than openly bigoted.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

"Watch the full video" might also lead you to other videos, like one of the Covington chuds harassing random women walking by.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Like the moronic internet calls to Google Ron Paul? Like I'm not going to notice all the racist poo poo?

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

gently caress we're all going to die aren't we

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The beauty of the "watch the full video" line is that you don't actually have to back up your assertion in any way. There are no surrounding circumstances which cast the Covington Catholic kids in a better light, and whenever someone tries to defend them they end up revealing that they think "they were harassed by black Jews earlier" is somehow an excuse, or that they either have no idea what kind of school Covington is or that they think it's entirely unproblematic. Much easier to say "context exists, find it yourself," since at worst that makes you lazy and disingenuous rather than openly bigoted.

I do not believe Black Israelites are "Jews" (except for the tiny few who converted)

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

...I don't get it?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"ME ME ME ME ME the rights and livelihoods of all minorities being stripped away by an increasingly far right political movement ME ME ME ME ME ME"

Ted "fuckstick" Rall everyone.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

KillerQueen posted:

...I don't get it?

AOC referenced a UN report that indicated we have 12 years to fix our emissions before catastrophic climate change becomes unavoidable. Ramirez thinks the end is near because people aren't immediately dismissing her for saying that, making them dumb.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AShamefulDisplay posted:

gently caress we're all going to die aren't we

Yes, it's the high cost of living.

KillerQueen posted:

...I don't get it?

"AOC dumb"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

And allow me to introduce you to your new personal hero:

(mildy NSFW due to depictions of 2 guys in bed.)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

HootTheOwl posted:

I do not believe Black Israelites are "Jews" (except for the tiny few who converted)

Oh, fair, that's on me. I just saw some garbage report that they were harassed by Black Israelites and assumed that was some kind of chud slur I hadn't encountered before.

I mean, are there any good frontrunners over the age of 35? I think that's an indictment of US politics rather than its stance on women, really. Warren is cleaner than anyone besides maybe Diamond Joe, but I'm sure he's got a bunch of baggage I haven't run into yet.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, are there any good frontrunners over the age of 35? I think that's an indictment of US politics rather than its stance on women, really. Warren is cleaner than anyone besides maybe Diamond Joe, but I'm sure he's got a bunch of baggage I haven't run into yet.

Biden's current popularity numbers seem like a gift to the Dem establishment, and yet they haven't coalesced behind him and are instead turning to Harris, and there's a reason for that

In addition to spending a good amount of his political career literally doing the bidding of the finance industry (read: making it a lot harder for people to declare bankruptcy to discharge debts, notably including student-loan debt, thanks Uncle Joe), he is on tape giving a whole bunch of obviously-unwanted physical contact to women and children. People like Biden because of his association with Obama, but as soon as scrutiny is actually turned upon him that won't last.

As for the first part of your question, I can sure think of a good frontrunner over the age of 35, but if you like Biden I don't think you'll like it

loquacius fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 25, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Biden has the worst politics and baggage of ANY potential dem candidate except Gabbard. And that's remarkable since Harris also has serious loving skeletons in her closet

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Biden has the worst politics and baggage of ANY potential dem candidate except Gabbard. And that's remarkable since Harris also has serious loving skeletons in her closet

Yeah, I can understand why Kendra Wells would focus on trans prisoners here, since trans issues are IIRC her number one priority, but Harris' issues also notably include her firm belief in the three-strikes law (which she has had Republican opponents run to her left on) and the whole thing where she thought a good response to truancy was to give the truant children's parents jail time

Oh, and the thing where she opposed a measure to cut down on prison overcrowding on the basis that the prisons would lose out on a lot of cheap labor that way

And yet, still a much better choice than Joe Biden. Hell, just play the clip of him saying that kids these days need to stop complaining about all the student debt they can't escape (because he made sure they couldn't) and boom there goes the general election turnout

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

is this ironic or not? They're lumping in vague 'unlikable' poo poo with actual examples of bad things with the same characters so I really can't tell if this is 'if you think someone did a bad thing you won't support you're actually a misogynist' or not

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ah yes, if you don't like cops who sexually assault women to be let off scot-free, you're a sexist 🍩

E: I like how Tulsi Gabbard is left out because even the artist recognizes how stupid this opinion is

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

loquacius posted:

AOC referenced a UN report that indicated we have 12 years to fix our emissions before catastrophic climate change becomes unavoidable. Ramirez thinks the end is near because people aren't immediately dismissing her for saying that, making them dumb.

Alhazred posted:

"AOC dumb"

Ah, thank you. For some reason I had it that Ramirez was referencing how long it would be for AOC to run for prez. Or something.
KillerQueen dumb.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

is this ironic or not? They're lumping in vague 'unlikable' poo poo with actual examples of bad things with the same characters so I really can't tell if this is 'if you think someone did a bad thing you won't support you're actually a misogynist' or not

It's notable that she used the "unlikable" thing with AOC, the most relatable politician of all time, because she couldn't think of anything actually bad to say about her, unlike Warren's weird misstep and Harris' straightup bad policy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m pretty sure it’s a call for ye olde “don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good” argument, which is fair enough at this point given our current hellworld

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s a call for ye olde “don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good” argument, which is fair enough at this point given our current hellworld

I mean, sure, but the primary hasn't even really started

The primary is the time for us to pick our favorite; the general is the time to call for unity

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

We don't have (and by definition, won't ever have) any sort of objective differentiation between "purity tests" and objectively bad policy decisions that actually matter.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Gaybie Nomination: Most Willfully Ignorant

Gaybie Nomination: A Thing Happened

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That vocal fry is off the charts, such a great example. Wasn't there a tv show about brain bugs? With some actress with 3 names.

That was Mary Elizabeth Winstead in BrainDead a show about the conspiracy behind tiny alien ants that ate into congressmens brains and turned them into republicans.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

BiggerJ posted:

I've been wondering - where did the excellent term 'brainworms' originate?

You can go at least as far back as 1979, with Pink Floyd’s “Hey You” (“And the worms ate into his brain...)

Probably even earlier, though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oh, fair, that's on me. I just saw some garbage report that they were harassed by Black Israelites and assumed that was some kind of chud slur I hadn't encountered before.

Someone explain to me the difference between Israelites as Israelis if it exists in this context. Because in my mind Israelites is pretty synonymous with jews.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BonHair posted:

Someone explain to me the difference between Israelites as Israelis if it exists in this context. Because in my mind Israelites is pretty synonymous with jews.

The thing you need to be paying attention to isn't the word "Israelites" here but the phrase "Black Israelites"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hebrew_Israelites

Xander77 posted:

We don't have (and by definition, won't ever have) any sort of objective differentiation between "purity tests" and objectively bad policy decisions that actually matter.

"Purity test" is just Internet slang for "caring about something I don't care about"

loquacius fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 25, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Darthemed posted:

Gaybie Nomination: Most Willfully Ignorant

Gaybie Nomination: A Thing Happened

I like that he calls Blackkklansman a 'Spike Lee Rant' as if it wasn't a thing that happened.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Does Brown Moses read this thread?
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1088887081299005446

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Yes- at a minimum there was some sharing of domestic Russian cartoons with caricatures of him over the past couple years.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

Because Big Daddy Trump is in charge so obviously everything is going to be fine.

Also in general, most dystopian fiction, or at least the popular ones, tends to associate the dystopian society with right-wing ideals. Unrestricted capitalism is the big one, but you also see nationalism and misogyny as common characteristics of societies in dystopian fiction and that makes conservatives look bad.

Nah, there is a ton of right-wing "the world is a hellscape because communism/ we respected civil rights too much" fiction out there. It's just not all that popular, especially to kids right now.

My bet is Tinsley is being an old man yelling at the fading trend for dystopia in teen movies, set off by having to sit through a trailer for one recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Does Left Behind count as dystopia?