Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Monaco's in the relegation zone, Jardim's getting sacked, and the frontrunner to save the team is the experienced and pedigreed Thierry Henry, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

PSG beat Lyon 5-0, with two men sent off, because Mbappe scored four goals in thirteen minutes. I'm thinking he's pretty good.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jason Sextro posted:

PSG beat Lyon 5-0, with two men sent off, because Mbappe scored four goals in thirteen minutes. I'm thinking he's pretty good.

Time Magazine cover star now as well

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What third rate league will Neymar go to now so he can be the star?

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Anderlecht are calling as we speak

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

England

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Monaco is showing the world the downside to the "stockpile young prospects to sell them for inflated fees" approach. If they're only playing to advertise themselves to "big clubs" then they have no vested interest in helping the team steer their way out of a relegation death spiral. It's also possible that this round of prospects is just not as good as the last.

Either way, lol

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Jesus I had no idea that Monaco we’re doing so poorly.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

blue footed boobie posted:

Jesus I had no idea that Monaco we’re doing so poorly.

They are tied for last place. It's real bad.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Jason Sextro posted:

They are tied for last place. It's real bad.

How long has Henry been there?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Brony Car posted:

How long has Henry been there?

I don't remember exactly, I thought four games but that doesn't seem right. He's gotten two draws, which is 2 of seven points, but they haven't won since the first week.

Tokyo Sexwale fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 4, 2018

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Act...le-monde/956595

monaco owner dimitri rybolovlev put in custody for corruption and bribery.

He is accused of having received a preferential treatment from the monaco justice system in previous cases he was involved with

the accusations led to the resignation of monaco's justice minister

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
PSG just won 9-0 over Guingamp.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

It's a weird-looking top six this year; Lille in second, Lyon in third, Saint-Etienne in fourth, Strasbourg in fifth and Montpellier in sixth

Lille, for reference, were bought by a Luxembourg racing magnate who originally tried to buy Marseille. Instead, Marseille went with a guy who thought the key to European domination was Rudi Garcia and (apparently) no marquee forwards

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Edward Mass posted:

PSG just won 9-0 over Guingamp.

https://twitter.com/eaguingamp/status/1086682902115409920?s=21

There are worse ways to respond, I suppose.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

EAG knocked them out of the Coupe de la Ligue, which'd be the first time PSG lost in...six years, in that competition.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jason Sextro posted:

It's a weird-looking top six this year; Lille in second, Lyon in third, Saint-Etienne in fourth, Strasbourg in fifth and Montpellier in sixth

Lille, for reference, were bought by a Luxembourg racing magnate who originally tried to buy Marseille. Instead, Marseille went with a guy who thought the key to European domination was Rudi Garcia and (apparently) no marquee forwards

Also Lille nearly got relegated last year. Did they make that many signings?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

When Lopez bought the team, he brought in Marcelo Bielsa who alienated the supporters by booting out all the veteran leadership, including Rio Mavuba, the last link to their 2011 Ligue 1 title. They then brought in an absolute ton of new players who weren't used to France, or Bielsa's methods. Things turned to poo poo pretty much immediately, so Bielsa was sacked, and they brought in Christophe Galtier from Saint-Etienne. He pulled them out of relegation and now, thanks to a fantastic season from Nicolas Pepe who they acquired from Angers, they're in second place. It is surprising, but also not really, because Galtier brought Saint-Etienne their first trophy in decades a few years ago and made them perennial Europa League contenders with a (mostly) very unheralded squad.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Henry is surely gone now?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

It's hard to say. I'd let him see out the season at least, because Jardim was an excellent manager but wasn't much better with this year's Monaco. So hiring someone else at this point won't make much of a difference, I can't imagine.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

In Thierry Henry news, he's apparently been suspended by Monaco. I can't get a timeline on where that falls compared to his statement that they're planning some kind of purge of the first team.

In other news, Nice is trying the same aggressive "buy young, sell at a premium" philosophy, but apparently can't see how leaving a team bereft of skilled veterans, like Monaco, leads to the dangers of relegation and losing those premium youngsters. So Nice's board has alienated the two executives that orchestrated their surprising resurgence, Julien Fournier and Jean-Pierre Riviere. They have been looking to get rid of Mario Balotelli (not a bad idea), and Riviere targeted, and got deals in place for, four attacking players as potential replacements, including two guys who had previously done well at Nice, Younes Belhanda and Valere Germain. But Nice's board vetoed every single one of them. And now, they're selling first-teamers over the objections of Patrick Vieira, who apparently has a clause in his contract stating he can leave if Fourneir and Riviere quit, no strings attached.

Basically, somehow Montpellier is the most stable of France's Mediterranean clubs right now, lmao

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I hope Grenoble get back to Ligue 1 next year

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hope Amiens survive :pray:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

julian assflange posted:

I hope Amiens survive :pray:

don't worry OP, they're 3 points ahead of Monaco. That's a pretty good cushion this year.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Lol.
https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Monaco-a-fait-de-leonardo-jardim-sa-priorite-pour-succeder-a-thierry-henry/981254

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lmao football owns

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

what the gently caress lol

three months vacation and he gets 8 million euros

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
It's official now, Jardim is back. What a joke lmao.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Leonardo-jardim-redevient-l-entraineur-de-monaco-et-succede-a-thierry-henry/981355

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

A survey recently suggested that something like 85% of French football fans thought Neymar provoked the treatment he gets while playing, and PSG responded like this:

quote:

Even if this survey does not specifically use the words, the spectacular skills of the Brazilian are to be perceived as a “provocation” which justifies sometimes “punishment” which can take the form of an injury…

First of all, we are casting enormous doubt on the reliability of this survey. If we focus on this specific question, it would appear that 99% of French people – if we add the 15% who believe that “we do not protect the artists in football in France enough” are of an ability to give an opinion on the style of play produced by Neymar Jr. We are not even certain that in Brazil that percentage of the population would be qualified to speak on football in such a way.

By accrediting, just for a simple exercise, an ounce of credit to these numbers, should we laugh or cry at these results? In the entire world, who makes kids dream more and people who are in love with this game? Neymar Jr or one of his recent opponents? By delving into the depths of this survey, are we to suggest that Pelé, George Best, Johan Cruyff, Diego Maradona, Ronaldo (Fenomeno) or Zinedine Zidane “overdid it”? In other words, did Mustapha Dahleb, Safet Susic, Rai, Jay-Jay Okocha and Ronaldinho “overdo it” during their time at Paris-Saint Germain? And, from elsewhere in our league, would France have supported the actions of those who were responsible for injuring Raymond Kopa, Dominique Rocheteau, Alain Giresse, Glenn Hoddle, José Touré, Chris Waddle, Sonny Anderson and Eden Hazard on the grounds that their football style was seen by their opponent as provocation?

We say stop to these pseudo-surveys that do nothing other than isolate our league from the greatest geniuses of football which is our shared passion…

1 | This season, in Ligue 1, 44 fouls on Neymar Jr were called, 3.3 per match on average, and in the Champions’ League (37 fouls called), this average is up to 5.9 per match.

2 | In Ligue 1, a competition known for being very physical, PSG’s opponents receive 1.3 cards per match on average; in the Champions’ League, the average is at 3.2 per match.

We are fighting for French refereeing to become much more protective of Neymar Jr – the player who has suffered the most fouls in France – and all of the players who are trying to play a beautiful game. And we want, for the sake of the French league, for the Brazilian phenomenon to come back as quickly as possible to light up the Parc des Princes and all the stadiums in our country.

lol

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jason Sextro posted:

A survey recently suggested that something like 85% of French football fans thought Neymar provoked the treatment he gets while playing, and PSG responded like this:

lol

Holy poo poo that is quite a meltdown

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
nice meltdown

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Kicking the poo poo out of skill players is like the main trait of Ligue 1. Those Qataris need to learn their place.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

In Ligue 1, a competition known for being very physical

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

trem_two posted:

Kicking the poo poo out of skill players is like the main trait of Ligue 1. Those Qataris need to learn their place.

Getting permacrocked by a third-tier team of cloggers is a proud Ligue 1 tradition, just ask Falcao.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

in more "lol PSG" news, Hatem Ben Arfa is suing them for missing out on performance bonuses when Unai Emery gave him the Ozil treatment during his time with the club.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jason Sextro posted:

in more "lol PSG" news, Hatem Ben Arfa is suing them for missing out on performance bonuses when Unai Emery gave him the Ozil treatment during his time with the club.

€8m, nice

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hope Eric Bailly performs a reducer on Neymar next week

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

julian assflange posted:

I hope Eric Bailly performs a reducer on Neymar next week

Gonna reenact Cantona's kung fu kick into the stands?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Abou Diaby has officially retired. I had no idea he hadn't officially done so already, yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jason Sextro posted:

Abou Diaby has officially retired. I had no idea he hadn't officially done so already, yikes.

200 club games in 14 years