Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Good Sphere posted:

wait, instead? what is it vaporizing now?

Market share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheCoach posted:

At work I have to deal with a macbook right now and if the bastard goes to sleep the external monitor does not wake up. Rebooting, trying to detect monitors(what the gently caress is up with that button being hidden until you press alt?) unpluging/repluging does nothing. The only reliable way to solve the issue so far is to walk over to a co-worker, plug their monintor in, unplug it and then go back and plug my monitor in at which point it now works. This is peak user experience.

why would you need two monitor? mac os is a "document oriented" interface. you should be "focused" on what you're working on

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i bought the new battery case in white - it sucks really bad and picks up dirt like crazy. im returning it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

why would you need two monitor? mac os is a "document oriented" interface. you should be "focused" on what you're working on

What?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

have you even played nintendo ds before? what is this, the 80’s?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

?????

Good Sphere posted:

have you even played nintendo ds before? what is this, the 80’s?

we've got a senile old man in the white house, donald trump is in the news on a regular basis, berkeley breathed is producing new Bloom County strips

you tell me

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

TheCoach posted:

At work I have to deal with a macbook right now and if the bastard goes to sleep the external monitor does not wake up. Rebooting, trying to detect monitors(what the gently caress is up with that button being hidden until you press alt?) unpluging/repluging does nothing. The only reliable way to solve the issue so far is to walk over to a co-worker, plug their monintor in, unplug it and then go back and plug my monitor in at which point it now works. This is peak user experience.

use “caffeine” or turn off / up the standby timer to a number big enough that it stops happening ?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i got a 2015 13 inch today so i can sell my 2018

it's like having sex again after years of telling yourself you didn't need it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

SRQ posted:

this is tragic

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

OldAlias posted:

use “caffeine” or turn off / up the standby timer to a number big enough that it stops happening ?

is this the apple version of "rolling coal"?

might as well run prime95 too if you're committed to wasting electricity

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SRQ posted:

lol everything's getting worse honk honk

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I used the 2016 keyboard for two years too and like, I'll defend it as still better than most PC OEM trash. _most_.

The unibody-retina Macbook Pro keyboard is superior to _all_ PC OEM keyboards, and the 2016+ macbooks.

I'll still defend USB-C on a laptop but the fact no good USB-C HDMI dongles exist at all that aren't poo poo and broken so it's less "USB-C is a bad idea" and more "Apple shouldn't have gone with USB-C unless they can provide all the dongles in house and they can't."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

?????

we've got a senile old man in the white house, donald trump is in the news on a regular basis, berkeley breathed is producing new Bloom County strips

you tell me

i vote for penguins

trump hates penguins

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

syscall girl posted:

i vote for penguins

trump hates penguins

lol I just got this book for my nephew and it has this pull quote from Dave Barry: “This is a funny book with an important message: we need penguins in government.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SRQ posted:

I used the 2016 keyboard for two years too and like, I'll defend it as still better than most PC OEM trash. _most_.

The unibody-retina Macbook Pro keyboard is superior to _all_ PC OEM keyboards, and the 2016+ macbooks.

I'll still defend USB-C on a laptop but the fact no good USB-C HDMI dongles exist at all that aren't poo poo and broken so it's less "USB-C is a bad idea" and more "Apple shouldn't have gone with USB-C unless they can provide all the dongles in house and they can't."

surprisingly i have some noname 20 dollar usbc-hdmi cable and it works wonders

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

surprisingly i have some noname 20 dollar usbc-hdmi cable and it works wonders

I'm running 4k tho. Generally when I plug it in 3 things happen.

#1: Static.
#2: It's locked to 30hz
#3: It actually works.

This is in a clean 30% split each, and if one port goes to static it has to be restarted and you can end up going through all four and being forced to restart.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

syscall girl posted:

i vote for penguins

trump hates penguins

hell yeah meadow party!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

SRQ posted:

This is in a clean 30% split each, and if one port goes to static it has to be restarted and you can end up going through all four and being forced to restart.

if only a connector designed for displays existed and could be added on laptops and desktops

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SRQ posted:

What... what happens the other 10% of the time?

:ohdear:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you uh, don't want to know

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

look man I'm a poli sci I don't get paid to math

or get paid

unless generous student grants count

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

you uh, don't want to know

*that william gibson quote*

port actually like a dead channel circa 1985

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

why does this happen?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

why does this happen?

better experience than the popup that asks you to enter your id and password that just randomly appears occasionally. top tier design

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

apples dongles are terrible

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

why does this happen?

related: why does the apple keychain in macOS randomly corrupt requiring everything to be wiped and logging in via Apple ID again?

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

its how slow everything runs now. text is delayed when typing in a lot of places. spotlight takes forever to pop up and is slow as gently caress. signal messenger is basically unusable because of the typing delay (it's worse on this app and might be related to a recent signal update as well)

and shaggar, windows 10 is poo poo. if anything i'd just boot back up to my windows 7 partition and use that.

there's a bug where if your restore of macos from too old of a copy it carries some extra plist file or setting file that breaks mojave and everything is an insane crawl along with broken wifi, it's fine once you delete it though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

why does this happen?

because lovely apps will spoof a pop-up asking you to log into your Apple account to steal your pw so it's safer to send you to settings to sign in so the phony pop-ups are more obvious.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

my phone keeps forgetting my WiFi password, sometimes in the middle of me using it, wtf is happening

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

indigi posted:

my phone keeps forgetting my WiFi password, sometimes in the middle of me using it, wtf is happening

same, but my tv

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

TheCoach posted:

If it's an Acer USB-C monitor, then it's the monitor's fault. They've got a firmware update that fixes it. Except that you have to ship your monitor back to them to apply the update.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
has tim issued an apology for attending a dinner with jair bolsonaro and stepped down as ceo yet?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
yes

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jimmy Carter posted:

If it's an Acer USB-C monitor, then it's the monitor's fault. They've got a firmware update that fixes it. Except that you have to ship your monitor back to them to apply the update.

software update by post like the 80’s

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

jit bull transpile posted:

because lovely apps will spoof a pop-up asking you to log into your Apple account to steal your pw so it's safer to send you to settings to sign in so the phony pop-ups are more obvious.

why do i have to re-authenticate at all?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boiled Water posted:

software update by post like the 80’s

Watch out, you may be getting a registered letter informing you that your last weekly back and forth floppy had computer AIDS (the Michaelangelo virus).

Nevermind that the source of the infection was the same people sending the notification. What are you going to do next, get stoned?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

why do i have to re-authenticate at all?

maybe an auth token might have expired ?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
every day or two my mac comes up asking for admin access to do some sort of system update for speech uploader or something

sorry whoever you are

you dont get to upload my audio, and you definitely don't get admin

if it was legit system poo poo, it'd already be admin

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

this maybe?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7696701

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Speech Downloader pop up

Omer begins, "Using Safari..." Which is odd, since for me the popup relates to my (no-microphone and no-Siri) System Preferences, Date & Time, Announce the time: On the hour Customize Voice... My custom voice download is Ava, American (there used to be enhanced version, requiring a further download, but the enhancement is now integrated into standard download with El Capitan+).

I do not use Siri, but I do use hourly time announcements. If I allow CleanMyMac to Force Quit All, the problem goes away for 24x7=168 hours. During that wait, Ava begins announcing time hourly again, usually a day later. If go to downloads, perhaps because I have no microphone and no Siri, there is nothing to download. AppleCare Senior Advisors can trigger a download, but the download does not appear to do anything. A week later the warning re-appears. Safari?

It is true that Safari is perching on the Speech Downloader warning popup. I have two displays, and CleanMyMac is installed: I get two Speech Downloader popups. First the system popup. Then the CleanMyMac popup. Whatever display I drag Safari to ('Air Display' off and 'Show mirroring options' on, each display in separate space), that Safari-focused display automatically moves the CleanMyMac popup from display where Safari was, to the display where Safari is moved to!

But, the initial system Speech Downloader stays on newer 4K Docked display (actually rated early 5K, BL3200 34" 2560x1440), horizontal center. But same distance from top of 4K display that would make dead center vertically on the older 2K un-Docked display (Acer SL243 24" 1920x1080). Anyway, System popup stays on 4K, while Safari CleanMyMac popup drags to whatever display Safari window is using.

User uploaded file system popup
User uploaded file Safari/CleanMyMac popup

Note! This is my second collision using Apple Speech Downloader. I have had same problem on 2015 and 2016 Mac Pro new machines, using the same 4K-2K display combination on both new models.

My Mac Pro desktop installs 4K as the Docked display because Apple prefers using a better display, but Lazy Dock in OS X prefers 2K. Constant tug of war for Dock between 2K and 4K. 2K uses smaller, cheaper real estate, which may relate to Safari dragging CleanMyMac from 4K to 2K (back and forth). First, if we install pre OS X, then cannot even use 2.n billion color 4K (5K) display. Second, Apple engineers cannot work out lazy Dock slipping back from OS X 4K install preference to lazy real estate saavy 2K. I have been told by Apple, use 2K power switch to correct dock slip. Also resets Speech Downloader CleanMyMac popup to 4K, except one condition cited below.

Anyway, 4K system popup always comes first, followed by CleanMyMac popup a few seconds later, both on 4K. Sometimes this Speech Downloader error will freak Apple system just after the CleanMyMac, initiating the Lazy Dock: that is, CleanMyMac popup appears to cause the Dock slip! Leaving the system popup alone in 4K. When power-switch correction advised by AppleCare Senior Advisor for previous 2015 Mac Pro, then the CleanMyMac popup always does not reappear on the reset 4K! Occassionally, the Speech Downloader popup also disappears, a few seconds after the power-switch reset.

Safari and Siri getting hooked into Apple's 4K-2K war-of-the-display-worlds, a year after Omer brings up this issue, is also telling. I wish that I could offer more environmental continuity! Same 4K-2K displays, but my Feb 2015 Mac Pro with same displays had same 4K-2K war, with same popups. Apple engineers could not resolve that issue 2015, I was told to live with it. Now it looks like the very same issue on my new Oct 2016 Mac Pro. If complicated by by extending into the new Siri app, perhaps an expanding issue, which is not good.

It was an older 2015 Mac Pro purchase, where my previous 'slipping Dock' case was started and put on hold. Because new Mac Pro has entirely different case history, for AppleCare, I was told that we may have to start any existing case all over again, for new machine. Lazy Dock and Speech Downloader complication cannot necessarily be assumed to be related between 2015 and 2016 Mac Pros. However, 2016-2017 Apple Speech Downloader problem migration (and/with piggy-back Lazy Dock). Also not that after the time it took to compose this post using TextEdit on 4K with Safari and ClenMyMac popup on 2K, Safari stayed on 2K but the CleanMyMac popup drifted back to 4K.

I don't want to do a repeat thread, so I will leave this here for the AppleCare Team, thank you.