Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also just generally watch Fukuda's dramas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

with japanese subs preferably

(or with official subs if there's any)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Wait, base breaker? Is that Drive or Tridoron? I thought both were great. :O

I've definitely seen some negativity for Drive in this thread. It doesn't seem to have the same love sister series W has. In my eyes it was pretty good though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Also just generally watch Fukuda's dramas.

Just gonna quote this right here.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I've definitely seen some negativity for Drive in this thread. It doesn't seem to have the same love sister series W has. In my eyes it was pretty good though.

It meandered a bit but ended really really strong.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Blaze Dragon posted:

I love Drive but in one of the discord servers I'm in there's a lot of negativity around it. It seems to mostly be because they feel Gou is a terrible character due to being a huge racist.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Gou's a poo poo, its treatment of its female cast could have been a lot better, and it does kinda meander in the middle a bit, but it's still a great series overall.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Gou is a bad character in a good series, Kiriko is a good character in a bad series, and Heart is the best villain in Kamen Rider. It's hard to nail a single statement of quality, good or bad, onto Drive.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Waffleman_ posted:

At first, I was confused because "Wait, he's not counted as a Rider" and then I realized it was MAD Rogue and not NIGHT Rogue and I remembered that Mad Rogue existed.

What a waste of a Rider.

Mad Rogue has one redeeming feature:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Twelve by Pies posted:

I love Drive but in one of the discord servers I'm in there's a lot of negativity around it. It seems to mostly be because they feel Gou is a terrible character due to being a huge racist.

Does that server have positive sentiment towards Ghost.
There's like a small crowd that really, really hates Drive and loves Ghost and you might just be encountering that crowd. Try mentioning something you didn't like about Ghost.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Waffleman_ posted:

At first, I was confused because "Wait, he's not counted as a Rider" and then I realized it was MAD Rogue and not NIGHT Rogue and I remembered that Mad Rogue existed.

What a waste of a Rider.

why would ether not be counted as a rider?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ignis posted:

You'll want the japanese subs for the Wizard show too, cuz it's a Fukuda show

Also Tubi and Prime have Fukuda's first movie Chasing my Girl, an adaption of a play he wrote and directed. That one has Wizard on a far larger role (though it's one of Shunya's first roles so he's a tad green in it), plus it also has Tsurugi from Kabuto. The DVDrip is ugly as all gently caress but the TL is pretty good imo
What are you referring to with "cuz it's a Fukuda show?" I'm super out of touch with Japanese drama haha. The immediately echoed praise for his work (and a quick skim of his impressive filmography) has me interested though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/tokugifs/status/1088664761774923776?s=19

https://twitter.com/PSO2_neondam/status/1085174654954700800?s=19

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What are you referring to with "cuz it's a Fukuda show?" I'm super out of touch with Japanese drama haha. The immediately echoed praise for his work (and a quick skim of his impressive filmography) has me interested though.

I have... particular feelings of distaste towards that certain fansubbing scene that would deffo get me probated for :goonsay: so to keep it short, Fukuda Yuichi shows tend to have a lot of comedy and wordplay that might be a tad hard to follow for a first-time watcher without subtitles of any kind. His shows are generally a riot though, I'd recommend The Hero Yoshihiko or Aoi Honoo as starters.

e: if you register on d-addicts they have a members-only section with japanese subs; I'd wholly recommend using them if fansubs are the only thing available
e2: also whatever you do don't watch the subs for Aoi Honoo on viki, those are godawful

Ignis fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 25, 2019

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hemingway To Go! posted:

There's like a small crowd that really, really hates Drive and loves Ghost and you might just be encountering that crowd. Try mentioning something you didn't like about Ghost.

loving how? ghost is a trashfire

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ignis posted:

I have... particular feelings of distaste towards that certain fansubbing scene that would deffo get me probated for :goonsay: so to keep it short, Fukuda Yuichi shows tend to have a lot of comedy and wordplay that might be a tad hard to follow for a first-time watcher without subtitles of any kind. His shows are generally a riot though, I'd recommend The Hero Yoshihiko or Aoi Honoo as starters.

I've always been curious about those shows actually.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

The Hero Yoshihiko is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQTn1QxCZ2s

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ignis posted:

e: if you register on d-addicts they have a members-only section with japanese subs; I'd wholly recommend using them if fansubs are the only thing available
e2: also whatever you do don't watch the subs for Aoi Honoo on viki, those are godawful
Wait, Blue Blazes and Yoshihiko were by the same guy? That's incredible. I never saw all of Yoshihiko but I heard so many good things about Aoi Honoo. Y'all (O-T) subbed both so I definitely wouldn't even think about going anywhere else for subs. I didn't know that about do-addicts and the JP subs though, that's definitely up my alley since my reading is way better than my listening. Thanks!!

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

With the marked exception of the crowsourced "official" translation for Aoi Honoo, all of the Fukuda Yuichi shows and movies that have been officially licensed have good translations, so there's that. Nietszche in the Convenience Store (formerly on Crunchyroll), Tokyo Dogs (starring Tendou from Kabuto, on viu.com), Chasing My Girl, Businessmen VS Alien (Prime Original), Jossy's (not actually licensed but it did have official subtitles for a festival), Hentai Kamen (China/UK release)... hell even Gintama (Amazon and iTunes)'s milquetoast translation is better than whatever the gently caress that Aoi Honoo tl is

anyways I'll see myself out before I go full Burkion on this thread about all this

Ignis fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 25, 2019

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's a rewarding feeling, being used as a verb

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

^^^ and well deserved

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Macias/status/1088632558529564672

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Go ahead and go full Burkion. It's cool to be enthused about the stuff you like!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Potsticker posted:

Go ahead and go full Burkion. It's cool to be enthused about the stuff you like!
:yeah:

PMush Perfect posted:

SA Poster Burkion has put together a big-rear end post giving you a quick summary of just about every loving thing you could ever want to watch. We love and are slightly terrified of him.
Emphasis mine.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Something about this image gives me the vibes of it being one of those creepypasta images

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

mateo360 posted:

why would ether not be counted as a rider?

Night Rogue and Blood Stalk aren't technically counted as Kamen Riders since they use a different form of transformation than the Rider System. Same for the Remocon, Engine, and Hell's Bros.

Mad Rogue is a Rider though.

Also Decade is 10 years today

https://twitter.com/tokugifs/status/1088695715902246912

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

like gundam, you're a rider if you're called one

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Waffleman_ posted:

Night Rogue and Blood Stalk aren't technically counted as Kamen Riders since they use a different form of transformation than the Rider System. Same for the Remocon, Engine, and Hell's Bros.

That's... really dumb. If you want to go that route then you would have to disqualify a several of the secondary riders because they used different systems of transformation.

Poppy, Zombie and Cronus all used Buggle drivers which wasn't the rider system of ex-aid and were a weapon first like the guns Rouge and Stalk used. (ride players and Nico I'm on the fence about)

Necrom because he had the Mega Ulorder rather then a Ghost driver like Ghost and Specter

Woz because He isn't using a Ziku Driver

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

mateo360 posted:

That's... really dumb. If you want to go that route then you would have to disqualify a several of the secondary riders because they used different systems of transformation.

Poppy, Zombie and Cronus all used Buggle drivers which wasn't the rider system of ex-aid and were a weapon first like the guns Rouge and Stalk used. (ride players and Nico I'm on the fence about)

Necrom because he had the Mega Ulorder rather then a Ghost driver like Ghost and Specter

Woz because He isn't using a Ziku Driver

None of those examples work because you're applying one shows naming convention to another one where it doesn't exist. In Build specifically you're a rider if they show calls you a rider and the show only calls the people using the Build/Evol/SQUASH drivers riders

The rest are just metal heroes.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

None of those examples work because you're applying one shows naming convention to another one where it doesn't exist. In Build specifically you're a rider if they show calls you a rider and the show only calls the people using the Build/Evol/SQUASH drivers riders

The rest are just metal heroes.

when did Build specifically state that?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mostly the fact that they're not called Kamen Rider Night Rogue et al and just Night Rogue.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

also the transteam system is described as one discrete and different than the rider system

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mateo360 posted:

Probably the moment Katsuragi said that Night Rogue and Blood Stalk existed to train users of the Rider System, because the latter can evolve unlike the former.

Or the time Gentoku asked to be made a Kamen Rider despite already being Night Rogue.

Or maybe a few other times where it was extremely specific on what is and isn't a Rider for it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Build is P consistent insofar that nobody that isn't a Rider uses a Belt to transform.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

mateo360 posted:

When they explicitly call some of the Kamen Riders and some of them not.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I feel that just cause they don't call them riders doesn't make them such. Up till Build the only ones with questionable rider status would be the mass produced/mooks like the Ride players or the Kurokage Troops (unless I'm forgetting some one-off or something else)

There is more of an argument to be made of who is counted as Ranger/Sentai like Magna Defender or Wolf Warrior. Mostly by their suits being armor and not spandex. All the suits in any given Rider series tend to be of the same material so to speak and the only argument I am hearing is that "Kamen Rider" is not part of their name.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

mateo360 posted:

I feel that just cause they don't call them riders doesn't make them such. Up till Build the only ones with questionable rider status would be the mass produced/mooks like the Ride players or the Kurokage Troops (unless I'm forgetting some one-off or something else)

There is more of an argument to be made of who is counted as Ranger/Sentai like Magna Defender or Wolf Warrior. Mostly by their suits being armor and not spandex. All the suits in any given Rider series tend to be of the same material so to speak and the only argument I am hearing is that "Kamen Rider" is not part of their name.

There's similar arguments in the Gundam fandom about whether certain suits are Gundams or not

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mateo360 posted:

You're forgetting the Alternatives from Ryuki who are basically Riders in every way except they aren't Riders. Beyond that, yeah, it's mostly the mass-produced stuff that gets in the "is it or isn't it" question (for that matter, the Riotroopers are Riders, the Ride-Players are not, and the Kurokage Troopers should be but I'm not entirely sure)

There's no argument in Sentai. Everyone that's Ranger-like is a Ranger. The only argument is whether they count as sixth, extra or whatever, and that's barely important. Kamen Rider...can be a bit arbitrary about it, but usually there's a line when there's something that almost is a Rider but isn't.

And if you want that line as clear as possible in Build: if they say HENSHIN, they're Riders. If they don't, they aren't.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

being called a Rider has some actual weight to it though. It would take me forever to get into it but the fact that someone is called a Rider vs Not is actually a big deal, sometimes this is extremely arbitrary and for reasons that are very bad and dumb (see: the Tackle issue), but there's a certain specific sort of statement being a Rider makes about you, even in Heisei.

Night Rogue and Blood Stalk aren't riders for a multitude of reasons but Build is extremely Showa throwback in how hard it plays to the hilt on a lot of classic Rider themes so it's super specific about what is and is not a Kamen Rider.

Also the transformation gimmicks differ as other people pointed out.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The discord he's talking about is the one I'm also in, and no, we also really fuckin' hate Ghost. We can hate both Racist Rider Go and Ghost, the two are not mutually exclusive.

E: I can already sense you or someone else trying to defend him with 'but he gets over it!', which might be true except for it not happening until after Best Boy Chase has to die for his stupid rear end, so it's too fuckin' little too fuckin' late. :colbert:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

mateo360 posted:

Yeah the fact that officially they're not named kamen rider means they are not kamen riders? Like the argument that they are has even less evidence and ultimately it's a distinction that only bares meaning in specific shows (See Build saying the Steam Gun forms have static hazard levels and cannot grow while the rider system explicitly can.) The only argument that they are is "Well if you ignore the shows descriptions they're kind of the same thing and It soothes my brain demons to have them order such."