Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Everything except the skip alarm is pretty standard... how are you dismissing the alarm if not from the lock screen? It goes off, and two options appear asking whether to kill it or sleep (if enabled). The days of the week are all selected from the Repeat option (just pick the days), and volume is the set from Ringers and Alerts in the Sound menu.

I asked the lockscreen question specifically about third-party alarms, whether or not there are any that can be dismissed from the lock screen. As for the rest, yes, I know, these are features I'm looking for in another alarm app that I've duplicated through arcane combinations of settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Goodnotes 5 is out for all you ipad note takers like me.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodnotes-5/id1444383602?mt=8

Oh cool. I use GoodNotes a lot. Apparently, so new that they haven't even updated their blog or marketing site to acknowledge the 5. What's good/new about it?

Is it possible to have an infinite canvas?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

You can indeed scroll vertically now (there's a setting for it). The UI is much nicer.

New folder system: Create unlimited levels of folders and subfolders
Text & handwriting search across all documents
Flexible scrolling directions: Horizontal or vertical scrolling
Favorites view: Shortcuts to important pages, documents, or folders.
QuickNotes: The fastest way to start taking notes
Optionally display documents as lists instead of thumbnails
Improved ink algorithm: More precise and natural writing experience

They're planning on doing a free (or subsidized) upgrade for current owners of Goodnotes 4 as well.
https://twitter.com/GoodNotesApp/status/1084982131825115136

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How much is Goodnotes (5) showing up for you guys as? For me it says $7.99 but I own Goodnotes 4. Apparently it should be free for me?

Edit: Speaking of Twitter, can anyone share the blocking rules for 1Blocker X that will block that loving full page “please log in :downs:” pop up that shows up every time I scroll down? No I’m not going to just log in dad.

Edit: vvv I don’t mind giving devs money either. It’s just in this case I’m primarily using Notability and bought Goodnotes 4 just to see how it works compared to Notability. I haven’t really used it at all yet so my “pay the devs” quota has been reached. I also wasn’t sure what the full price of it was and I’m not sure if I got it on discount originally. So I guess I was also wondering out loud if $7.99 was already a discounted price. vvv

vvv

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 16, 2019

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I bought it for $7.99 because I don’t mind giving the devs more money. The way to get it free is going to be a “complete the bundle” thing but it’s not live yet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

How much is Goodnotes (5) showing up for you guys as? For me it says $7.99 but I own Goodnotes 4. Apparently it should be free for me?

I thought they made a statement yesterday that the "upgrade path" version is still waiting on approval, but should be happening shortly and to be patient? So, be patient I guess?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

GoodNotes 5 free upgrade available.

GoodNotes 5 Upgrade Bundle by Time Base Technology Limited https://itunes.apple.com/us/app-bundle/goodnotes-5-upgrade-bundle/id1445840741?mt=8

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Podcasts, what about podcasts.

I've been using Downcast for years and I like it. But I recently updated my car's infotainment center (yes that is what Mazda named it) to get carplay.

Downcast works fine with car play, but Mazda disables the touch screen if the car is moving; in the normal course of events I will swipe the iphone screen to advance a podcast 30 seconds - obviously not possible in carplay on a Mazda.

My question is do any of the other podcasting apps put buttons on the carplay screen that will let me skip forward? Or configure the >> button so that it doesn't go to the next podcast? I would pay as much as :10bux: for a feature like this.

Bonus if it will import my subscription list from Downcast.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

GoodNotes 5 Upgrade Bundle by Time Base Technology Limited https://itunes.apple.com/us/app-bundle/goodnotes-5-upgrade-bundle/id1445840741?mt=8

I feel dumb but I’ve never seen a bundle before. Does this mean it’s a free upgrade or what?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Yes, they set it up that way so that owners of GN4 can upgrade for free but the devs can keep GN4 available for people who depend on the features that didn’t make it to GN5 or just don’t want to change.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

porktree posted:

I've been using Downcast for years and I like it. But I recently updated my car's infotainment center (yes that is what Mazda named it) to get carplay.

Downcast works fine with car play, but Mazda disables the touch screen if the car is moving; in the normal course of events I will swipe the iphone screen to advance a podcast 30 seconds - obviously not possible in carplay on a Mazda.

My question is do any of the other podcasting apps put buttons on the carplay screen that will let me skip forward? Or configure the >> button so that it doesn't go to the next podcast? I would pay as much as :10bux: for a feature like this.

Overcast, Castro or Pocket Casts should be able to handle your issues

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weird, mine cost me $2 for the bundle. I must have purchased GN4 on sale or something, since I *did* get a $5.99 discount.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

This new slack logo looks like rear end.

E: it looks like 4 ducks in a circle eating each other’s rear end, 4 penises in a circle, and a swastika, all at once.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 17, 2019

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

porktree posted:

I use downcast in my car and the "skip track" button on the car's entertainment system skips forward 30secs in the current podcast. There is a setting in the downcast app called "Remote Media Skip", perhaps that needs to be on? (it is toggled on for me).

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

porktree posted:

Overcast will let you configure what the button does. Options are 30 seconds by default, but you can do 7,15,45, or 60 too. On my head unit, if I hit the skip next track it does the 30 second skip.

I also just figured out smart playlists and it changed my routine, I use it so much more.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

savesthedayrocks posted:

Overcast will let you configure what the button does. Options are 30 seconds by default, but you can do 7,15,45, or 60 too. On my head unit, if I hit the skip next track it does the 30 second skip.

I also just figured out smart playlists and it changed my routine, I use it so much more.

It’s the same for pocket casts. It lets you configure how many seconds it skips up to multiple minutes.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I need a note taking app that has

- typed text (don’t care for handwriting for this)
- markdown, preferably with ability to convert into latex
- separate “sheets” of paper that group together to form a “notebook”
- drag and drop in pictures would be a plus
- support dropping in files (eg pdfs, but doesn’t have to display inline like pictures) also a plus

Bear doesn’t cut it because the organizational aspect is terrible. Drafts is ok for writing stuff down but seems awful for organizing notes. I’m trying Agenda right now but I can’t really get behind the calendar/date based system it’s built for.

Ulysses seems like it might work but I haven’t tried it yet. Any others I’m missing?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I need a note taking app that has

- typed text (don’t care for handwriting for this)
- markdown, preferably with ability to convert into latex
- separate “sheets” of paper that group together to form a “notebook”
- drag and drop in pictures would be a plus
- support dropping in files (eg pdfs, but doesn’t have to display inline like pictures) also a plus

Bear doesn’t cut it because the organizational aspect is terrible. Drafts is ok for writing stuff down but seems awful for organizing notes. I’m trying Agenda right now but I can’t really get behind the calendar/date based system it’s built for.

Ulysses seems like it might work but I haven’t tried it yet. Any others I’m missing?

OneNote? I got started using it for work and quite like it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

porktree posted:

On my non-carplay car, using the tuning knob on the radio causes Downcast audio to skip forwards or backwards in the current podcast, and next/prev track/station buttons moves between podcasts. Do you have a tuning knob on the Mazda?

edit: Also, what's the point of having Carplay if it blocks access to the touch controls?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fordan posted:

edit: Also, what's the point of having Carplay if it blocks access to the touch controls?

I’m late to this, but what does this mean?

I haven’t had any issue with controls on the head unit, controls on the phone or my steering wheel controls. Is this app specific or OEM radio specific? (I have an aftermarket Sony AX100)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

I’m late to this, but what does this mean?

I haven’t had any issue with controls on the head unit, controls on the phone or my steering wheel controls. Is this app specific or OEM radio specific? (I have an aftermarket Sony AX100)

The post quoted involves a Mazda that blocks access to the touchscreen when in motion which makes CarPlay fairly useless.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fordan posted:

The post quoted involves a Mazda that blocks access to the touchscreen when in motion which makes CarPlay fairly useless.

:cripes:

I mean, I guess I kind of get it. Corporate lawyers are going to do everything they can to minimize liability, but crippling the main functionality would piss me off (and then I’d buy an aftermarket unit)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

:cripes:

I mean, I guess I kind of get it. Corporate lawyers are going to do everything they can to minimize liability, but crippling the main functionality would piss me off (and then I’d buy an aftermarket unit)

Mazda just got CarPlay like 6 months ago

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

priznat posted:

OneNote? I got started using it for work and quite like it.

I tried OneNote and it’s great but I’d really prefer a more plaintext approach vs whatever proprietary format they use.

Ulysses seems to be pretty great so far.

Unrelated what is a good flowchart making app? This is the iOS thread but I’d also be interested in a macOS app for that too.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is CarPlay actually updated and developed still? I never hear them talk about it for their dev talks, which makes me cautious that it's going to be phased out. I want to upgrade my Chevy's car stereo, but I fear that I'll buy a CarPlay interface just in time for it to be the last update they ever make for it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

Is CarPlay actually updated and developed still? I never hear them talk about it for their dev talks, which makes me cautious that it's going to be phased out. I want to upgrade my Chevy's car stereo, but I fear that I'll buy a CarPlay interface just in time for it to be the last update they ever make for it.

They just did a huge update for iOS 12 or 12.1, didn’t they?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

iOS 12 is where they allowed 3rd party navigation apps access to CarPlay. Other than that they went with the theme of iOS 12 and did performance improvements making it faster with smoother animations and quicker start times.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

fordan posted:

iOS 12 is where they allowed 3rd party navigation apps access to CarPlay. Other than that they went with the theme of iOS 12 and did performance improvements making it faster with smoother animations and quicker start times.

Not sufficiently updated enough for the OP or what?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CarPlay only just started becoming really common as a factory option in the past year or two, Apple would be tremendously stupid to drop it any time soon.

I could see manufacturers dropping it to develop an in house solution because they have a long history of shooting themselves in the foot but there's no sense in planning for that eventuality, if you hold off buying tech now because it might be obsolete in the future you're never gonna buy anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I would be extremely disappointed if Apple dropped CarPlay. I don't expect them to, though, since it would give Android an even bigger feature advantage in in-car usage. (Android Auto lets you use is on the phone itself if you don't have a compatible head unit. Apple should probably copy that.)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah we’re not even at base models having 7 inch+ screens yet so car play hasn’t even come close to hitting its potential.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Alright, then I might look into it some more. I know I looked like a year ago and it seemed to be a very sparse field.

For someone who uses it, how good is it at using more than on phone via bluetooth? Basically so my wife and I can switch which music we're listening to.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
How do you highlight spoilers in the Awful app for iOS? They just show up as white for me on my black theme and I can’t click them, or anything. Maybe I’m retarded

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s a bug at the moment that stuff like spoilers sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t. Usually you just tap it. At worse, hit quote or copy and paste to something.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

fordan posted:

I spent $400 a month or two back to get CarPlay installed in my 2017 Mazda3 and I couldn’t be happier. Yes, the touchscreen is disabled when in motion (this was true even before the upgrade), ostensibly for safety reasons.

But! What’s not being said is that Mazdas have this awesome huge click wheel that you can turn, press, and flick in four directions to navigate around (and a smaller one for volume but that’s less applicable here). CarPlay navigation is oriented in a clockwise direction that spirals around from app selection on the left, to top navigation of whatever app is active on the right, then down into the rest of the app. With a few clicks and a push of the button, I can quickly switch between the apps I use, navigate around Waze or Maps to check out the route I’m on, and then flip back to my music to navigate around that. It became second nature surprisingly quickly that now I can navigate around CarPlay almost without taking my eyes off the road.

Support for this click wheel in CarPlay is fantastic to the point that I prefer to use it over the touchscreen even when at rest. Support for hardware navigation must be mandated to enable CarPlay support because apps like Waze and Pocket Casts can all be navigated exclusively with the dial.

In fact, after getting CarPlay installed and getting used to using the dial to navigate around, I discovered that the right dial in my wife’s Subaru’s radio can be used to the same effect to navigate her CarPlay. I was way happy to discover that fact because using the touchscreen to switch things around sucked - I always had to take my eyes off the road to make sure I was tapping the right part of the screen. It’s an N of 2 but I suspect people are missing out on what I feel like is more intuitive navigation of CarPlay when in motion since almost no one talks about using hardware to interact with it.

Anyway I’m a proponent of CarPlay now after having spent the last couple months with it. Sure, it’s rough around the edges and definitely needs some iteration, but as it is I feel like it’s a worthwhile upgrade over typical in-car infotainment systems.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Slash posted:

I use downcast in my car and the "skip track" button on the car's entertainment system skips forward 30secs in the current podcast. There is a setting in the downcast app called "Remote Media Skip", perhaps that needs to be on? (it is toggled on for me).

Duh, yes that's it, thanks. Toggled it on and the buttons change to skip, instead of next.

fordan posted:

There's a 'wheel' thing in the middle between seats that you can control things with. It's not as awful as it sounds.

IAmKale posted:

I spent $400 a month or two back to get CarPlay installed in my 2017 Mazda3 and I couldn’t be happier. Yes, the touchscreen is disabled when in motion (this was true even before the upgrade), ostensibly for safety reasons.

Anyway I’m a proponent of CarPlay now after having spent the last couple months with it. Sure, it’s rough around the edges and definitely needs some iteration, but as it is I feel like it’s a worthwhile upgrade over typical in-car infotainment systems.

I got mine installed for $350 - still way to much. I was annoyed that the dev menu was gone after the firmware update (music-favorites-mute, then hold delete (shows up onscreen) for 20 seconds and you could set the speed which killed the touch screen to a high number).

But like you I'm a fan of the Dial.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hi,

I'm transitioning to an iPhone SE from my doomed Nexus 5x. I used Block This! on Android. What's the best ad blocking app for the iPhone?

thanks

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

actionjackson posted:

Hi,

I'm transitioning to an iPhone SE from my doomed Nexus 5x. I used Block This! on Android. What's the best ad blocking app for the iPhone?

thanks

1Blocker X - Adblock by Salavat Khanov https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1blocker-x-adblock/id1365531024?mt=8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Great, thank you.

Also I'm assuming there's no way do things like remove app icon titles, change icon size, etc. without jailbreaking? I like to keep the look pretty minimal.