Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Probably the most of all his works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, hopefully Rogen tones it down then.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

But how Rogen-y will it be?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Space Fish posted:

But how Rogen-y will it be?

What a dangerous sliding between Rogen and Ennis.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/1088486462050291712

I've never read The Boys, how Ennisy is it?

hamster in anus,finger up bum,rottweiler loving everything,giant tit monster,giant she hulk parody that likes her hump being jizzed on,rapey superman,rapey everyone,nazi superheroes,crackhead superheroes,homophobe superheroes,everything sucks and superheroes are bad.
There,now you don't ever have to read it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Sethrogen/status/1088486462050291712

I've never read The Boys, how Ennisy is it?

It's the most Ennisy thing that ever Ennised. You know that bit in Preacher where the guy fucks the meat sculpture? You know that bit in Crossed where the bad guy's name is Horsecock, and he carries around a severed horse penis that he hits people with?

The Boys is like both of those, times ten, constantly. And yet it also has moments of sincere intelligence and brightness, because whatever else he is, Ennis is a generational talent when he wants to be.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I couldn't stand Preacher. I am so sick of people with twangy accents being lovely to each other, and that's all it was. Oh there is some interesting stuff, but lovely Town full of lovely people being the focus, hard pass. I doubt I'll check out the Boys.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

twistedmentat posted:

I couldn't stand Preacher. I am so sick of people with twangy accents being lovely to each other, and that's all it was. Oh there is some interesting stuff, but lovely Town full of lovely people being the focus, hard pass. I doubt I'll check out the Boys.

Clearly you didn’t finish the first season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Klungar posted:

Clearly you didn’t finish the first season.

Nope, and I'm not going to bother. I'm just tired of general lovely people being lovely to each other shows.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Oh there is some interesting stuff, but lovely Town full of lovely people being the focus

ennis.txt

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

twistedmentat posted:

Nope, and I'm not going to bother. I'm just tired of general lovely people being lovely to each other shows.

Everyone in the town dies when the meat factory explodes

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Boys is both kinds of Ennis, where is smart and heartfelt and exciting, but then the next page is so edgy it’ll make a 14 year old roll his eyes.
I like what they’ve done with Preacher though, this should be worth a look

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Klungar posted:

Everyone in the town dies when the meat factory explodes

Good, but it seems like a lot of effort to get there.

Watched the first Punisher Episode. That is probably the best fight in Marvel Netflix.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Good, but it seems like a lot of effort to get there.

Watched the first Punisher Episode. That is probably the best fight in Marvel Netflix.

Nobody uses a bathroom as a weapon quite like Frank Castle.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Nobody uses a bathroom as a weapon quite like Frank Castle.

And we're back to Ennis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tragedyjones posted:

And we're back to Ennis.

Not that way. It was a fight in a very closed space and Frank uses every surface to inflict damage to his opponents.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I liked that there were more women in that fight than men and they were hardcore.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I really liked how Frank was up against people almost as good as he is.

You know what this is reminding me of, how in the Nice Guys, Crowe and Gosling are trying to find and protect this girl, and because she has information, but she keeps running away.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 27, 2019

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Watching Punisher season 2 and every time Russo shows up I think of that terrible show/pilot/movie/whatever called Beastly which was supposed to be an updated version of beauty and the best, except the guy playing the beast had like one scar on his face and he was supposed to be hideous or something.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/agentsofshield/status/1089932955898658816?s=21

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Did Phil die again

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It'll turn out that Coulson survived The Snap but then ironically in Endgame when all the dead characters come back, Phil will die.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

Did Phil die again

He was dying at the end of season 5 so, yeah?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've never watched it so I meant again as in the first time in avengers

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

I've never watched it so I meant again as in the first time in avengers

You should watch it! The first season sucks tremendously, the second isn't all that great but somewhere in season 3 something magical happens.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Rhyno posted:

You should watch it! The first season sucks tremendously, the second isn't all that great but somewhere in season 3 something magical happens.

having to watch 40 hours of a bad show to get to the good part isn't a great recommendation

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I never thought I would live to see the day that Rhyno defends AoS

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Madkal posted:

Well, he damns with faint praise.

Season 1 is fine. It's bog standard as it sets up all the dominoes and then takes off like a rocket about halfway. It doesn't really let off the gas for the most part after that.

But yeah, Season 3 is bonkers good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Probably don't need to spoiler this but
They used Kree blood and mad science to bring him back to life initially.
He temporarily housed the Ghost Rider at the end of season 4, and doing that burned out a lot of the stuff they used so he spent S5 steadily dying, then the season ends with them leaving him on a beach with a couple days left.

The issue is that they fully expected to get cancelled, and then got 2 more seasons after they'd filmed everything. They'll probably bring him back for a mid-season twist but they gave it all pretty good closure

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Retro Futurist posted:

Probably don't need to spoiler this but
They used Kree blood and mad science to bring him back to life initially.
He temporarily housed the Ghost Rider at the end of season 4, and doing that burned out a lot of the stuff they used so he spent S5 steadily dying, then the season ends with them leaving him on a beach with a couple days left.

The issue is that they fully expected to get cancelled, and then got 2 more seasons after they'd filmed everything. They'll probably bring him back for a mid-season twist but they gave it all pretty good closure

Yeah, they mostly ended so it would be *mostly* satisfying as a final episode (with one big unanswered question: Space Fitz-cicle.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I don't even remember why Fitz is in that situation as of the last season finale.

AoS in general is/was kind of hard to get super into since it occasionally really leans into its "connection" with the MCU, even though it is pretty clear that it actually isn't a real part of the MCU. So it ends up feeling like weird fan fiction in a way that none of the other shows (Netflix, Cloak and Dagger) don't. I guess that can't be avoided with a SHIELD show, but it does feel distracting sometimes since on a few occasions they tried to tell these "big" world level stories without having access to actual MCU assets, which just leaves anyone paying attention going, ok, so this huge thing is happening, and literally 0 Avengers give a poo poo? This was rectified last season by basically removing them entirely from the equation, though there still was a huge plot point involving preparing for Thanos invading Earth.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Retro Futurist posted:

Did you watch the trailer?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

It's amazing what your brain allows in when you no longer hate yourself.

That's a bit vague but massive weight loss/being healthy, marriage, new job, owning a home has changed me a lot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You fuckers have tricked me into watching SHIELD too many times already. Just no.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean if you watch any of the CW crap you really have no excuse as it's much better than all of those shows.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah I can totally see wholesale writing off AoS if you also write off the CW stuff, but lol at accepting one but not the other. There isn't much AoS is guilty of that the Arrowverse isn't also guilty of, and imo the Arrowverse has had much lower lows than AoS in recent years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I mean if you watch any of the CW crap you really have no excuse as it's much better than all of those shows.

It's dead even with LoT.

LoT and AoS are the high standard by which all comic book television will one day come to be measured.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

LoT and AoS are the high standard by which all comic book television will one day come to be measured.

Weird way to spell "Riverdale"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Weird way to spell "Riverdale"

Not after this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's weird because I absolutely remember the time when, like, Arrow season 2 was the crowning glorious apex of what a comic book show should be, while AoS -- in its first season at the time -- was being mocked as everything that it shouldn't be.

Honestly, my experience is that no TV show is ever 100% great 100% of the time, so if you'll never end up watching any shows if that's what you're looking for. Every comic book show has been better than every other comic book show at varying points of their run.

Except for Inhumans. That was never better than anything.