Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

cargo cult posted:

is bernie even going to run :-\

I'm still thinking he was smart enough to know that any announcement made during the shutdown would be swamped by shutdown coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

cargo cult posted:

is bernie even going to run :-\

https://twitter.com/hunterw/status/1088946696107843585

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I'm still thinking he was smart enough to know that any announcement made during the shutdown would be swamped by shutdown coverage.

I kept shaking my head at every idiot who thought announcing during a crisis was smart.

Even Biden knew not to do that and he's definitely running.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Finally, a serious contender that is the most pragmatic choice to defeat Trump. What a relief.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Taintrunner posted:

Finally, a serious contender that is the most pragmatic choice to defeat Trump. What a relief.

I’m excited but god drat, I am not looking forward to the primary.:suicide:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Bernie or bust.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Judakel posted:

Bernie or bust.

I hope bustin’ makes you feel good.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Judakel posted:

Bernie or bust.

Would rather have another 4 years of trump and another shot at serious change than a milquetoast democrat who virtually guarantees that the next trump will be even worse.

Barring radical developments i'm going all in from the beginning this time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bring it on, libs

https://twitter.com/IPM_HQ/status/1088962504334761984

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

if you arent 100% bernie or bust you commit evil, you're part of an evil system, and we're standing up against you! And the Republic is going to defeat you in the end! Some of us won't make it personally through this, but a lot of us are. And in the end you are gonna be brought to justice, you're not invincible and God is gonna deal with you, and you are cursed to hell!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bernie! Bernie! Bernie! Bernie!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1087901481834024960

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/1088969935458627585

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

tar and feather this freak and demand bernie decide imminently.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Brony Car posted:

I hope bustin’ makes you feel good.

I hope it makes us all feel good (because Trump is winning then)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judakel posted:

I hope it makes us all feel good (because Trump is winning then)

The vast majority of Bernie voters showed up to the polls for Hillary, and look where that got us.

So now it's our turn, liberals. You don't want Trump to get re-elected, you better start Bernin' up now because he's the most popular politician in the country and he's got the rhetoric to win over voters of all kinds across the country, even in that damned Rust Belt.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
im all in but i think the dem base still skews heavily towards comfortable suburbanites who are 1. still massively aggrieved about 2016 and 2. way more likely to vote in a primary than milennials or gen z . i also dont think meme magic is real fwiw

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

The vast majority of Bernie voters showed up to the polls for Hillary, and look where that got us.

So now it's our turn, liberals. You don't want Trump to get re-elected, you better start Bernin' up now because he's the most popular politician in the country and he's got the rhetoric to win over voters of all kinds across the country, even in that damned Rust Belt.

I don't really think there are any Hillary voters that planned not to vote for Bernie if he won in 2016 or wins in 2020.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pylons posted:

I don't really think there are any Hillary voters that planned not to vote for Bernie if he won in 2016 or wins in 2020.

20% of hillary voters in 2008 didn't vote for Obama.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

20% of hillary voters in 2008 didn't vote for Obama.

McCain wasn't Trump.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pylons posted:

McCain wasn't Trump.

yeah mccain was worse

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pylons posted:

McCain wasn't Trump.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
its gonna be cool to see AOC go all out stumping for bernie and watch the establishment tell every young person in the country to go gently caress themselves and then wonder what happened in november

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

edit: wrong thread. Apologies

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This ain't the Trump thread, why would we discuss Roger Stone?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

Holy poo poo, are people really starting a Bernie vs Hillary argument in response to a day where Roger Stone gets arrested and Donald Trump suffers the biggest political embarrassment of his Presidency?

Like... that's so on the nose.

drat.... people arguing a bout the democratic primary in the democratic primary thread?? russian bots anyone?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
My main worry is that Sanders will cause some egotistical billionaire like Bloomberg to run and peel off enough socially liberal (but economically unprogressive) suburbanties from the Democratic ticket and gently caress everything up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's entirely my fault. I lost track of which thread I was in.

Mea culpa. I'm the rear end in a top hat.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Brony Car posted:

My main worry is that Sanders will cause some egotistical billionaire like Bloomberg to run and peel off enough socially liberal (but economically unprogressive) suburbanties from the Democratic ticket and gently caress everything up.

bloomberg would do worse than mcmuffin

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
bernie will never win over suburban dems and the establishment will ratfuck him anyway and theyll throw the progressive vote and then lose the general

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Dear lord that brings back memories. I remember thinking she was going to wind up president because I really didn't think the US would elect a black man to the office and I thought McCain would croak before long. BSG was big at the time and I remember thinking she could very well be President Roslin's wayward, white trash sister.

Of course that hypothetical nightmare has paled in comparison to the last few years of reality :psylon:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Oh cool the thread with a decent dialogue is now overrun by idiots preemptively despair posting

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

cargo cult posted:

bernie will never win over suburban dems and the establishment will ratfuck him anyway and theyll throw the progressive vote and then lose the general

You make it sound pretty inevitable.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

cargo cult posted:

My parents are suburban dems, I'm emailing them right now. They're anti-Bernie, super active (my mom runs in local elections) and I'm 80% confident I can win them over this time. There are a lot more suburban dems in my immediate circle that I'm pretty sure I can influence. Tell your friends to do the same.

This is not a repeat of last time. Things are very different after 4 years of Trump. People can see that the democrats don't have any satisfactory answers to Trump. They'll understand who is coming next.

Our arguments have never been this compelling, and they may never be this compelling ever again (except possibly in 2024). Get going.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 26, 2019

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Yeah I don't think anyone should waste time worrying about Bloomberg

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MaxxBot posted:

Bloomberg/Basta 2020 is the comedy ticket we deserve.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MaxxBot posted:

I don’t think there’s a single person alive that doesn’t work for the WSJ that would be excited for a Bloomberg run.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

But surely his "marijuana is the demon weed" stance will win over younger/progressive voters

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Brony Car posted:

drat he might peel off people that vote republican anyway,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
A lot of people in my social circles like him. I hope my experience is a humongous outlier due to where I live, but I still worry. I remember people like Perot for the same reasons they like him. That magic combination of being pro-business, but nice and NO ONE OWNS HIM 'CAUSE HE'S RICH.