Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

Oh man I'm like fifty hours in and RDR2 shows absolutely no signs of ending anytime soon.

I may be getting burned out on stoic men making tough decisions.

There are six chapters plus two epilogues and Chapter 5 is fairly short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
By Chapter 4 I was already tired of "Move to a new place, wait for Dutch to gently caress it up". I'm glad I went till the end because it does pay off in a great way, but gently caress. Chapter 5 is also the worst, absolutely worst.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Super Smash Bros Ultimate

finally, a 1000 mbps download speed, >100 mbps upload speed, and i've got a lan adapter for my switch! I can finally do online without lagging to poo poo because of my previous ISP! Let's fight this guy aaaaaaaand the lag is so bad that it is literally half a minute between every input because the other guy is using dial up wifi i guess

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The stuff with the Indians in Chapter 6 went on for about twice as long as it needed to and was the worst drag I can remember in games recently. Since that was also about the time I ran out of cool side stuff to do it really soured me on the game as a whole.

Really the whole story suffers from how passive Arthur is. He doesn’t really seem to have a real motivation for a lot of the story. At the beginning Dutch is trying to get them all away from the Pinkertons and Arthur is starting to doubt Dutch but still mostly trusts him. Towards the end it introduces the stuff about Arthur just sticking with Dutch until he can find out where the money is stashed, steal it, and run. Both of which are fine. But there’s this whole stretch in the middle where Dutch does crazy stuff to gently caress them up and Arthur’s lost faith in him but still goes along with his schemes because ??? Because he’s the player character and needs to be in the middle of the action, I guess.

Compared to the first game where everything John does in the main story clearly and directly advances his singular goal of getting his family back (it does have the video game problem of “sure, I’ll help you... if you do this entirely unrelated stuff for me first,” but still), it really feels like the story is just spinning its wheels from most of chapter 4 to the climax.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Samuringa posted:

By Chapter 4 I was already tired of "Move to a new place, wait for Dutch to gently caress it up". I'm glad I went till the end because it does pay off in a great way, but gently caress. Chapter 5 is also the worst, absolutely worst.

Chapter 5 definitely feels like it was the victim of the most cuts. The whole thing feels half baked.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This isn't the games fault it's 100% me but I turned RE4 on for the first time in over a year. I don't know where I need to go, why I have the weapons I have, or what the last plot bit was.

I'm in the castle holding the semi-automatic rifle so I have a vague idea but I'm not 100%

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Len posted:

This isn't the games fault it's 100% me but I turned RE4 on for the first time in over a year. I don't know where I need to go, why I have the weapons I have, or what the last plot bit was.

I'm in the castle holding the semi-automatic rifle so I have a vague idea but I'm not 100%

Just playing it over the last few days I've noticed it's easy to get turned around if you skip cutscenes and suspend the game at random times, it's crazy how much the last few games I've played (new Tomb Raider) have trained me to punch the "show me where to go" button constantly. It took a while to remember that there's a functional waypoint/locked door map, even if there is nothing highlighted outside that screen.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Really the whole story suffers from how passive Arthur is.

I just wish there was a way to pipe up and point out that whatever the gang are planning on doing next is a really obviously terrible idea.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The stuff with the Indians in Chapter 6 went on for about twice as long as it needed to and was the worst drag I can remember in games recently. Since that was also about the time I ran out of cool side stuff to do it really soured me on the game as a whole.

Really the whole story suffers from how passive Arthur is. He doesn’t really seem to have a real motivation for a lot of the story. At the beginning Dutch is trying to get them all away from the Pinkertons and Arthur is starting to doubt Dutch but still mostly trusts him. Towards the end it introduces the stuff about Arthur just sticking with Dutch until he can find out where the money is stashed, steal it, and run. Both of which are fine. But there’s this whole stretch in the middle where Dutch does crazy stuff to gently caress them up and Arthur’s lost faith in him but still goes along with his schemes because ??? Because he’s the player character and needs to be in the middle of the action, I guess.

Compared to the first game where everything John does in the main story clearly and directly advances his singular goal of getting his family back (it does have the video game problem of “sure, I’ll help you... if you do this entirely unrelated stuff for me first,” but still), it really feels like the story is just spinning its wheels from most of chapter 4 to the climax.

I think the point of Arthur's character arc is that he feels like he owes Dutch his life. It's only when Arthur's TB kicks in that he begins to go against Dutch's plans, because Arthur knows that he can't live out his final days still being the same guy he was when he was beating that preacher to death.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Yeah Arthur's passivity in the narrative is actually pretty decent characterization. He calls the group dumb plenty, but he very much acts like a child reared in an abusive situation. He can't bring himself to visibly and seriously oppose Dutch because Dutch "made" him.

When he realizes he's going to die, he finally puts things into perspective and realizes that the man Dutch made him into contributed nothing, benefitted nobody, and would leave no legacy. He spends all of Ch 6 trying to steer John away from that path, and dies having actually earned redemption provided you played him honorably.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

spit on my clit posted:

I think the point of Arthur's character arc is that he feels like he owes Dutch his life. It's only when Arthur's TB kicks in that he begins to go against Dutch's plans, because Arthur knows that he can't live out his final days still being the same guy he was when he was beating that preacher to death.

This is so exceedingly obvious throughout the entire game. There are a billion thematic context clues thrown in constantly hinting that Arthur's loyalty to Dutch and the gang would take a whole gently caress of a lot for him to go against it.

Hell, the primary reason he dislikes John is because he left for a year, something he could never imagine doing himself.
And Arthur has a bit of Dutch in him too. He clearly has a very mean streak in him that he's afraid of and is battling against the whole game.

There's a lot of flaws to the way the missions are structured near the end, but I don't feel any of Arthur's arc felt wrong in the slightest. It's pretty brilliantly executed.

Arthur's loyalty is one of his greatest strengths yet also his greatest weakness in the end.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm playing the first Evil Within, and Laura can go gently caress herself.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Bioshock Infinite: The final encounter of the game is garbage. Utter garbage. If they wanted me to protect this drat airship maybe they shouldn't put Songbird on a timer while its getting gunned down by two zepplins, three motorized patriots, and ten motherfuckers with rocket launchers

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I was so tired of the bullet spongey waves of enemies by that point I just swung around on one those rails and shot rockets until the segment was complete. I just wanted to see how the story ended. I was … disappointed.

Context: My "clear the area" OCD is dragging down Dishonored 2 for me right now. The need to get all those loving bone charms and runes before progessing out of an area with no backtracking combined with the odd compulsion to save scum if I gently caress up a jump or alert some guards is almost killing the experience. I keep thinking I should just roll with it and if I end up slaughtering all the guards, so be it. High Chaos for sure, but then I figure I won't get the "Good ending."

I wish there was some method to gauge the chaos level in any given level. How many more guards could I murder before the scale tips? Also, runes that appear to be behind in a wall in a room that is straight up inaccessible are super loving obnoxious. I'm looking at you rune stuck in a wall in the dining hall of that solarium.

hatelull has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Jan 24, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Counterpoint to the above: I may get discouraged from continuing DOOM every time I die in an arens, but I do like the game has chapter-select and lets you freely return to previous levels, with ALL our gear, and pick up items you missed.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Leavemywife posted:

I'm playing the first Evil Within, and Laura can go gently caress herself.

I decided to go for the Trophy that involves killing her when she's chasing you in that area with the pipes and I expended all my ammunition. I thought I was screwed because she was still alive and I had nothing left until I realized I could switch over to the DLC sawed off shotty. It had two rounds in the barrels.
I shot her once, then twice, and she miraculously died.

I don't know if the game just tossed me a bone once all my ammo was expended or if I was just extremely lucky.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

I decided to go for the Trophy that involves killing her when she's chasing you in that area with the pipes and I expended all my ammunition. I thought I was screwed because she was still alive and I had nothing left until I realized I could switch over to the DLC sawed off shotty. It had two rounds in the barrels.
I shot her once, then twice, and she miraculously died.

I don't know if the game just tossed me a bone once all my ammo was expended or if I was just extremely lucky.

I was doing that section when I posted that, and the next time I tried it, I ended up killing her when I didn't mean to. I now have a true understanding of the word catharsis.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hatelull posted:

I was so tired of the bullet spongey waves of enemies by that point I just swung around on one those rails and shot rockets until the segment was complete. I just wanted to see how the story ended. I was … disappointed.

Context: My "clear the area" OCD is dragging down Dishonored 2 for me right now. The need to get all those loving bone charms and runes before progessing out of an area with no backtracking combined with the odd compulsion to save scum if I gently caress up a jump or alert some guards is almost killing the experience. I keep thinking I should just roll with it and if I end up slaughtering all the guards, so be it. High Chaos for sure, but then I figure I won't get the "Good ending."

I wish there was some method to gauge the chaos level in any given level. How many more guards could I murder before the scale tips? Also, runes that appear to be behind in a wall in a room that is straight up inaccessible are super loving obnoxious. I'm looking at you rune stuck in a wall in the dining hall of that solarium.

It is very hard to get yourself into High Chaos without intentionally going for it. The first game had something around a quarter of all NPC’s killed as the line for it, and I think 2 is similar.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dokopon Journey is entirely too expensive. I was thinking about grabbing a copy for local play with my other half and lol that price

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chaos is way more about how you resolve quests than killing mooks.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah IIRC Dishonored 2 even improved on things a bit from the first game by adding a hidden chaos value to NPCs so indiscriminately slaughtering random civs is going to make it go up way faster, otherwise innocent guards a medium amount, and assholes that really deserve it barely at all.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

Dokopon Journey is entirely too expensive. I was thinking about grabbing a copy for local play with my other half and lol that price

Oh man that reminds me of playing Dokapon Kingdom with two other friends and a CPU player.

Basically what would happen is my friends and I would get strong and beat the poo poo out the CPU, because the AI was not great. Then the CPU player would turn into a demon for some reason, get a good half dozen extra dice (or more), and start rolling huge numbers.

Now, as a demon, he was exceedingly powerful, but to fight us he needed to land on our space. No worries, right? Oh, no, worries. Because there were loops on the map, where you could take some extra moves to get a bit of treasure, it could roll some really big number, like 43 moves, and because it was an AI, it could calculate exactly how to land on any of our spaces using these loops. So every CPU turn would proceed as this:

CPU rolls dice. Huge number rolled.
Slight pause.
CPU's characters start zipping around the map, running around these loops sometimes half a dozen times, just whirring about madly.
CPU exits a loop with exactly enough movement to land on someone's space.
That someone is immediately defeated in battle.

It was absurd. Funny, but we certainly never picked that game up again.

Oh also each match took forever to finish.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I don't think we've ever actually finished a game of it but man is it a blast playing with just people.

One of my friends just plays to pvp. Turn 1 he will try to kill you and if he does will take your sword, only you can't have two swords. Since you can't have two swords he just throws yours to the ground.

The next time you run into him hopefully you have a weapon but if you don't? Now you get your name changed. Mechanically it does nothing but rub your nose in how much you suck.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The demon form multiplies your stats by some crazy amount, plus gives you the most powerful gear in the game. But if the character was weak enough before becoming a demon (which can happen since it's always the character doing the worst that becomes the demon) then it's possible to beat them and take their super gear. Or if you just wanna mess with the AI then have one player purposefully do awfully and become the demon, then purposely lose to another player so they can get their stuff and from then on just clown on the AI for the more than a hundred in-game weeks it takes to finish the game.

Fun!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

hatelull posted:

I kind of wish games like that had a mode where all the pickups were just for points and you got allotted new abilities at a fixed rate. That way people who want to track down everything can do it for a high score/cheevos/whatever and people who just want to get through the levels can do so without weakening their characters. Well I guess some games do do it that way, but I wish Dishonored did :v:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Inventory slots in Resident Evil. I know it's part of the experience but little stuff like keys and lockpicks shouldn't count and it's hosed up always having to know before hand what you need for the next trek.

On second thought, I actually like this element but loving hate it when it bites me in the rear end. Does the new game allow for dropping an item because that always seemed like BS too? Why can't I set down my wolf head, pick up that herb, combine it, grab those grenade rounds, combine them, then pick up whatever poo poo I can carry after that?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BiggerBoat posted:

Inventory slots in Resident Evil. I know it's part of the experience but little stuff like keys and lockpicks shouldn't count and it's hosed up always having to know before hand what you need for the next trek.

On second thought, I actually like this element but loving hate it when it bites me in the rear end. Does the new game allow for dropping an item because that always seemed like BS too? Why can't I set down my wolf head, pick up that herb, combine it, grab those grenade rounds, combine them, then pick up whatever poo poo I can carry after that?

Because that's was a RE0 mechanic and everyone hated that game so never use it again probably

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

QoL features in the new RE:

Areas that you have exhausted of key-items and resources, but not documents or novelty stuff, are marked as such on your map.

You start of with 8 inventory slots and by exploring you can increase your capacity to 20 slots. Universal item-boxes are still here.

Key Items that become redundant can be safely discarded and are marked as such in your inventory. So you will get the bolt-cutters, open the three or so doors that have been chained shut, and after that you can get rid of the thing.

vvv: If there is a red tick-mark on the item it can be dropped.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Jan 26, 2019

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

QoL features in the new RE:

Areas that you have exhausted of key-items and resources, but not documents or novelty stuff, are marked as such on your map.

You start of with 8 inventory slots and by exploring you can increase your capacity to 20 slots. Universal item-boxes are still here.

Key Items that become redundant can be safely discarded and are marked as such in your inventory. So you will get the bolt-cutters, open the three or so doors that have been chained shut, and after that you can get rid of the thing.

Quick question, maybe spoilers?

I still have the Gas Station supply room key and never got a prompt to drop it. It's not still useful, is it? It can't be, right?

Edit: ^^^

Thank you.

Leave has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Jan 26, 2019

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

spit on my clit posted:

Bioshock Infinite: The final encounter of the game is garbage. Utter garbage. If they wanted me to protect this drat airship maybe they shouldn't put Songbird on a timer while its getting gunned down by two zepplins, three motorized patriots, and ten motherfuckers with rocket launchers

i played through the game on the hardest difficulty and actually enjoyed myself quite a bit.

gave up on the final encounter it was such bullshit. sucked all of the fun out of the thing.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The drops and stuff in Bioshock Infinite were so random, I didn't feel like I had a fun build going until like the last hour or two of the game. I would say something about the story, but that's not a little thing.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
my shortest way of describing my problems with the story: you can really feel the rewrites happening once you bring one timeline into the one you're in, and it just gets worse from there until the ending, where everything is clear: you can have crunch time on game development (BAD IDEA), but you can't have crunch time on writing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I've been playing through RE4 this past week and goddamn I love that game, inventory tetris included. Always just the right amount of space to have what you want or strategically drop a few things to get that extra weapon.
Just from the short RE2 remake demo I know I'm going to be frustrated to no end by its system, when I inevitably break down and buy it before too long.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Twitch posted:

The drops and stuff in Bioshock Infinite were so random, I didn't feel like I had a fun build going until like the last hour or two of the game. I would say something about the story, but that's not a little thing.

Whereas on the flipside, I got the "get salts back from vigor kills" pants or w/e as my third drop and breezed through large portions of the game thanks to them. To the point where I stopped enjoying myself because most groups could just be nuked by a couple of fire grenades and then on hey there's all my salts back.

...Well, that and the combat encounters/map design get progressively worse as the game goes on.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dear RE4 I know I have a rifle and I use it a lot but that's only because you keep giving me bullets for it and nothing else.

Please let me use my handgun again

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Like enemies, the game is supposed to fine tune your ammo drops based on how you're playing. I guess if you're using the rifle a lot it just assumes you really love the rifle and wants to keep using it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

Like enemies, the game is supposed to fine tune your ammo drops based on how you're playing. I guess if you're using the rifle a lot it just assumes you really love the rifle and wants to keep using it.

Yeah it's not an ideal situation to be going down but I don't really know how to correct it and get handgun bullets again.

Also hot take but Dino Crisis 2 is a better action game than RE4 and they need to revive the series already

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Morpheus posted:

Oh man that reminds me of playing Dokapon Kingdom with two other friends and a CPU player.

Basically what would happen is my friends and I would get strong and beat the poo poo out the CPU, because the AI was not great. Then the CPU player would turn into a demon for some reason, get a good half dozen extra dice (or more), and start rolling huge numbers.

Now, as a demon, he was exceedingly powerful, but to fight us he needed to land on our space. No worries, right? Oh, no, worries. Because there were loops on the map, where you could take some extra moves to get a bit of treasure, it could roll some really big number, like 43 moves, and because it was an AI, it could calculate exactly how to land on any of our spaces using these loops. So every CPU turn would proceed as this:

CPU rolls dice. Huge number rolled.
Slight pause.
CPU's characters start zipping around the map, running around these loops sometimes half a dozen times, just whirring about madly.
CPU exits a loop with exactly enough movement to land on someone's space.
That someone is immediately defeated in battle.

It was absurd. Funny, but we certainly never picked that game up again.

Oh also each match took forever to finish.

I don't believe that anyone ever finished a campaign of that

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

Yeah it's not an ideal situation to be going down but I don't really know how to correct it and get handgun bullets again.

Maybe it doesn't always work, but using one or two shots from anything seems to make more of that app magically appear, my usual tactic of conserving the last couple rounds actually seems to be a mistake. The only time I've ever had trouble is the really early part where you only have the pistol and the game is stingy on giving you anything.

Len posted:

Dino Crisis 2 is a better action game than RE4
No :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DC2 is rough but it feels like a prototype for Mercs. Most zones feature never ending streams of dinosaurs that you gun down for points to buy bigger guns to get more points. It's rough but a fantastic proof of concept and I'm still disappointed that DC3 managed to take that formula, added jetpacks, and was garbage.