Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Re: Benny Space Squad, here in the UK it was sold out immediately everywhere I checked on release. I ordered on Amazon and they estimated a month for delivery. A couple of days later it was updated and then it arrived the next day.

I have seen some out and about in the Cambridgeshire area since, in an independent shop and also in a chain supermarket. So perhaps the UK crowd are just not as into 1980 something space guys?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I haven’t had trouble finding it the past few weeks but I’ve also noticed it hasn’t lingered on the shelf. I think the chasers have been hounding LEGO movie 2 cmf bags around here though they’ve only been in one store and they weren’t even normal boxes I don’t think they were part of a cardboard display pack with space squads, unikitty sets, and the Emmett heart poly bags.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I think with the minifigures I will just end up buying the few I want on Bricklink. Normally I find it's maybe about £1 - £1.50 more per figure when you include shipping, but if I only want three or four it is much better than ending up with many unwanted guys or duplicated ones. This lesson I learned after my fourth opening of this figure some years ago (Fitness Instructor). She is cool and all, but I'm a space or castle guy at heart and her pink boombox was of little use to me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Shut up I just had some white paper. Shadows be damned!

Still, I’m really proud of this 100% MOC build.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 24, 2019

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Feenix posted:

Every time i see that star I hear the "oh, da pain. it's getting so cold" line from the trailer.

Needs a flame thrower to fend off the cold. :)

Awesome mech suit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where's that pearlized hairpiece from? :o

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Where's that pearlized hairpiece from? :o

Should be in any set with a General Sweet Mayhem minidoll.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Plastik posted:

It's also possible that Lego has gotten wise to this and has a specific "scalper bait set" distribution, where the first wave is disproportionately small and the second wave unusually slow, to get scalpers thinking that they're in for another Monsters Zombie situation and whip up a buying frenzy before stocking shelves to capacity.

Also, the fist-spaceship was on the shelf and I got to see first-hand the glory of the dinosaur-driven miniships. It is glorious.

What, already? That's not supposed to be out for a few months, I think?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I saw a grip of BSS at Target right after it came out and grabbed one. Now I'm on a classic space building kick and want to grab at least 2 more, and I can't find any. I think the issue with that set is that it has a huge appeal to a certain type of person and it's also really cheap. So there's probably like 1 or 2 people that just buy every copy once it hits the shelf vs. it being a traditionally popular set.

It's not that hard to find though. You might have to check a couple of stores online and drive a few extra miles to get it though. Amazon seems perpetually sold out of it.

E: Nice robot Feenix!

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 24, 2019

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Has anybody read anything on the design process of the movies and sets? I'm interested in how they merge what looks good on screen and how to turn those into good sets, and vice versa. I assume at some level they are split into two teams. How do they influence each other?

As cool as the Apocalypseburg set is, it's nowhere near the scale seen in the trailer. Same with the Seacow and Batmobile from the last movies. Does the director show the set designers what they've made and leave it up to them to turn it into a cool set?

And a lot of the sets from the other movies have been vehicle heavy, but some of those set's don't get much screen time at all. Like the Riddler's drag racer, or the Penguin'car, I'd bet each gets less than a minute on screen. Can Lego force those sets into the movie because they know what sells?

And how much of this stuff is dollars and cents? Like does Lego get X% of ticket sales while WB gets Y% of toy sales? What do those negotiations look like?

What I'm driving at is this, where are the boundaries between making toys and movies? Where do they overlap? Where do they conflict? I'd be willing to bet there is more give and take than there is when Funko gets the license to make figures from Game of Thrones or whatever.

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 24, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If it's like the first movie, everything has to be possible to build in Lego. I'm guessing they give the movie model to Lego designers who then modify it into something that can be sold as a set.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Feenix posted:

I need to buy more ball joints.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

All the Walmarts around me have Benny's Space Squad in stock. They were super late getting them though. I held strong and only bought one... So far.

If anyone's still looking
https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=940804186

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Realized today you can use a Lego app and view the instructions on an iPad. I'm all for this, saves a bunch of space.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You could always download PDF versions of the BI from the customer service site, but now a lot for the 2019 sets have a QR code on the BI you can scan in the Life app that pulls up the PDF automatically.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

I need to buy more ball joints.

You missed the gravy train man. They had all the mixel ball joints at the PAB wall for a few months a while back. I bought a whole tub of them. Set for life on Robots.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I find this polybag is good for mech parts. 5 mixel ball joint pairs and 4 of these per bag.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice. Those little hinges are still pricey on BL too cause it's a relatively new part. I wish they were easier to find in light gray.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

veni veni veni posted:

You missed the gravy train man. They had all the mixel ball joints at the PAB wall for a few months a while back. I bought a whole tub of them. Set for life on Robots.

This me rightchea’!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I don't even know what a PAB wall is. :confused:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Darth TNT posted:

I don't even know what a PAB wall is. :confused:

Pick a brick. The back wall at official Lego stores has a wall of cubbies that contain various parts. They get swapped every month or so. It's a good way for people to stock up on certain parts at low rates sometimes. You get a little bucket and pay for the bucket. You can fill it with as much as you can fit.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Except I’d say swapped in every month is EXTREEEEEEMELY optimistic.

I’d say at my local stores, stuff rides it out for the better part of half a year sometimes...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PAB lost some of its luster once they added the microbuilds to it. Since then it feels like you get some sorta neat parts for the set, then the rest of the wall is a bunch of 2x4's in various colors.

They usually do have a couple bins in the corner full of random poo poo which I pretty eagerly pillage.

"Cool" stuff like travis bricks or light grey wings that one might want to really stock up on has been absent a long time.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I may have missed this, but if not here goes.

The bricklink AFOL thing revealed its finalists. https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/afoldesigner_winners.page

In about a week sounds like you can "pre-order" any sets you want, and if they reach their funding goals they'll get made. I'm keen on the saloon I guess. and maybe the vintage roadster. But honestly none of these are that unique or cool to me.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Pick a brick. The back wall at official Lego stores has a wall of cubbies that contain various parts. They get swapped every month or so. It's a good way for people to stock up on certain parts at low rates sometimes. You get a little bucket and pay for the bucket. You can fill it with as much as you can fit.

OH those things. I probably could've guessed that. I don't have lego flagship stores anywhere near where I live. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everything in there is real solid, but nothing's so badass that I MUST BUY IT.

The castle is really well done, everyone hates BURPs but they did pretty good on detail for such a small base size.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Yay, I now own 3x Space Squads! Best small release in years.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Scipiotik posted:

I may have missed this, but if not here goes.

The bricklink AFOL thing revealed its finalists. https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/build/afoldesigner_winners.page

In about a week sounds like you can "pre-order" any sets you want, and if they reach their funding goals they'll get made. I'm keen on the saloon I guess. and maybe the vintage roadster. But honestly none of these are that unique or cool to me.

Did you see the first run? Theres an old Firetruck and a Science Tower. I'm in for those! Run 2 is lame.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Hot shot carnival will fold well into a big fairground build so I’ll probably jump on that one. Some of the others are charming but I like to stick to a lane.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

Except I’d say swapped in every month is EXTREEEEEEMELY optimistic.

I’d say at my local stores, stuff rides it out for the better part of half a year sometimes...

Depends on the store. At Disney Springs it seems like some buckets don't even last a week, and Travis bricks and the like abound.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I'm almost done cataloging my childhood (and some later) LEGO sets! 42 sets (1979-2010 with a huge gap between 1999-2010), 11,700 pieces and only about 200 pieces missing or severely damaged. It's taken an age to do but has been a pretty satisfying process. I've also placed my first orders with Bricklink so hopefully those go smoothly.

I decided while it's all out I would make the Imperial Flagship again. LEGO definitely got way more complex since the 90s but it's a shame the instructions seem to be printed on tissue paper now. However it's a great build!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVCOAFKjaoY

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...
Just got back from seeing The LEGO Movie 2: it's fantastic and as good as the first one. Can't wait for the next wave of movie sets.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

parque bynch posted:

Just got back from seeing The LEGO Movie 2: it's fantastic and as good as the first one. Can't wait for the next wave of movie sets.

Same. My wife and I may have enjoyed it more than our kids. The humor was excellent.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Fun soundtrack too. The Radiohead line got all the adults in the theater.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I’m impressed that they were able to follow up the first one so well although the climax is definitely not as tight as the first one.

Still very good though.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

djfooboo posted:

Amazon has them in stock in like 3 days I think, ordered 2.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

djfooboo posted:

Same. Grabbed 2 more on top of the one I already had while I was grocery shopping. I had to resist the urge to buy their whole stock of like 10. I think 3 is plenty though lol. Couldn't have come at a better time cause I'm on a Classic Space MOC kick. Gonna make a base and some vehicles, now I have spacemen to populate it and a few printed parts I can use.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

pity about how fragile the blue helmet pieces are though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Love when new orders show up. These are from Sweden and Benny's gonna get a proper monster truck at some point. :v: