Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Iraqis called us "allaen" which basically means "gently caress" but also has some sort of relation to marriage, implying that we were unhappily married to they. I thought that was pretty clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
French Canadian tourists in Mexico are frequently referred to as “los tabarnacos” so I can confirm it’s a continuing pattern.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SlothfulCobra posted:

I always thought it went to a guy in Maine who ate pie.

no the guy in maine is actually french

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

no the guy in maine is actually french

Los tabernacos....

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
"It is not a medieval wall. It is a smart wall."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We're gonna build a star fort, and the Spanish Habsburgs are gonna pay for it!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

zoux posted:

Hehe, if you told Trump about star forts he'd establish some kind of space military.... oooooooooh fuuuu

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I mean the boot fits, what soldier doesn't love to cuss?
Apparently all the non-British ones I guess? loving foreigners can't even cuss right!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It doesn't have to be open cussing to be crude. Insert snide Roman graffiti here.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

zoux posted:

I want to work on mah blog this weekend, so let me just

THINGS I SAW THAT HEYGAL MAY LIKE
and the milhist thread also may like

guy makes oddly soothing videos of him making knives out of weird substances. Enclosed: Bismuth knife

People are still slap-fighting about who should claim the non-existent French throne

Enclosed:this shirt

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hey Cessna, how often in your dad to day life do you have someone tell you that the war in Vietnam was won after Tet but the MEDIA betrayed our troops and lost it for us? And what do you say to them?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Oh, I can do you one better, the eldest son of the current heir to the Romanov throne is literally married to an jew.

:aaaaa:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 26, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Schadenboner posted:

the current heir to the Romanov throne
i may have sworn an oath to this person but i was very drunk and i don't remember which romanov it was

all hail the renascent jewish/russian tsardom and let's put poland/lithuania in there as well

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the slapfights between the orleanists and the bonapartisans (they don't actually call themselves that) consume monarchist internet spaces. i'd prefer a valois but the last valois was extremely dead and gay so there are no heirs afaik

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HEY GUNS posted:

i may have sworn an oath to this person but i was very drunk and i don't remember which romanov it was

all hail the renascent jewish/russian tsardom and let's put poland/lithuania in there as well

Eldest son of the current heir, and I'm not 100% sure his wife is a Jew but: you know?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
poland/lithuania is my favorite historical political thing and it's not even close

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

HEY GUNS posted:

Was it this one https://youtu.be/fnd0qg4I_MM

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HEY GUNS posted:

"It is not a medieval wall. It is a smart wall."

They really are just a handsome design, you know?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Are the points that are radiating out recessed so you can just rake them with fire?

SeanBeansShako posted:

It doesn't have to be open cussing to be crude. Insert snide Roman graffiti here.

We call those "the classics"

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

HEY GUNS posted:

why were you swearing oaths?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Milo and POTUS posted:

Are the points that are radiating out recessed so you can just rake them with fire?
no they are built up so you can rake them with fire

technical word for this is glacis

edit: there's often a ditch between the glacis and the start of the wall though, so don't worry

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 26, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Milo and POTUS posted:

They really are just a handsome design, you know?
this is one of the best i've ever seen, probably because of the hill

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
more early music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfBoVGIoobY

peeved that it's called the "Orchestra in the Age of Enlightenment" series, the early modern is pre enlightenment! :bahgawd:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HEY GUNS posted:

poland/lithuania is my favorite historical political thing and it's not even close

Were they the winged hussar dudes?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Schadenboner posted:

yup

also the guys where their congress was like five hundred dudes on horseback in a big field getting bribed

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HEY GUNS posted:

yup

also the guys where their congress was like five hundred dudes on horseback in a big field getting bribed

Something about how there had to be unanimity not just a majority for an action or something?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Yes, and they had a very interesting political system where the nobility elected their monarch but the real legislative power was in the bicameral parliment called the Sejm. Presumably someone will correct my overly simple explanation but they're a cool massive multiethnic and multiregion empire that is surprisingly obscure for something that lasted 250 years and at its peak was the most populous country in Europe.

Edit: you're referring to the infamous Liberum Veto that was put in place in the mid 17th century. Basically any one Noble could veto the entire session and both prematurely end it while annuling any legislation passed. It kept the system extremely democratic and prevented an absolute monarch from existing but was extremely vulnerable to foreign powers bribing nobles.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 26, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Don Gato posted:

Yes, and they had a very interesting political system where the nobility elected their monarch but the real legislative power was in the bicameral parliment called the Sejm. Presumably someone will correct my overly simple explanation but they're a cool massive multiethnic and multiregion empire that is surprisingly obscure for something that lasted 250 years and at its peak was the most populous country in Europe.
and it was completely fine to admit you were being bribed and who was doing it on their equivalent of the senate floor (a field)

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

more early music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfBoVGIoobY

peeved that it's called the "Orchestra in the Age of Enlightenment" series, the early modern is pre enlightenment! :bahgawd:

Im upset that this episode didnt have the mention of where the intro music is from.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Milo and POTUS posted:

We call those "the classics"

Star forts were never meant to be unconquerable by sheer obstacle-crossing difficulty. in fact even with a ditch a star fort is considerably easier scaling-wise to storm than an earlier fortifications. The only logistic you need is men- they’re built for maximum amount of casualties inflicted to the attacker at shortest possible time period. Like an open invitation of “come and get it- if you’re willing to lose X amount of soldiers in the process” whereas the traditional castle/keep combo is a question of “do you have the engineering prowess and logistic chain to crack it open?”

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hey Cessna, how often in your dad to day life do you have someone tell you that the war in Vietnam was won after Tet but the MEDIA betrayed our troops and lost it for us? And what do you say to them?

Ah, the American Dolchstoßlegende. Add in a bit of "we won every battle" and "the politicians sold 'em out!" and you get the hat-trick.

Personally that's the time I excuse myself and walk away.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Valtonen posted:

a star fort is considerably easier scaling-wise to storm than an earlier fortifications. The only logistic you need is men- they’re built for maximum amount of casualties inflicted to the attacker at shortest possible time period. Like an open invitation of “come and get it- if you’re willing to lose X amount of soldiers in the process”

:thejoke: Star forts were designed to scrape the attackers off any spot on the walls with treble-shotted canister, while the walls were sloped to deflect the attackers' roundshot from reducing them to rubble, weren't they?

Sort of like how modern tanks will (hopefully) bounce any incoming AT shells, and can hose each other down with MG fire if the enemy infantry gets too close.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Valtonen posted:

Star forts were never meant to be unconquerable by sheer obstacle-crossing difficulty. in fact even with a ditch a star fort is considerably easier scaling-wise to storm than an earlier fortifications. The only logistic you need is men- they’re built for maximum amount of casualties inflicted to the attacker at shortest possible time period. Like an open invitation of “come and get it- if you’re willing to lose X amount of soldiers in the process” whereas the traditional castle/keep combo is a question of “do you have the engineering prowess and logistic chain to crack it open?”

Is that because of any big paradigm change in particular, or is it just because there wasn't particularly any fortification technology left that could really be impenetrable beyond just creating some dense killzones?

Doesn't seem like there'd be much of a point in creating big tall walls to repulse footsoldiers if it's reasonable to expect opponents to have weapons to smash through them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Is that because of any big paradigm change in particular, or is it just because there wasn't particularly any fortification technology left that could really be impenetrable beyond just creating some dense killzones?

Doesn't seem like there'd be much of a point in creating big tall walls if it's reasonable to expect opponents to have weapons to smash through them.

Once real artillery was in play, there's just no building walls that can stand up to sustained bombardment.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SlothfulCobra posted:

paradigm change
gunpowder can hurl a spherical piece of stone in a flat trajectory, almost perpendicular to a wall; a trebuchet does it in an arc (either over the wall or smashing into it at a glancing angle). the math of star forts is designed to maximize shooting at your enemy and minimize the walls getting shot at

this is most visible in the transitional fortresses from early in the development of siege cannon, like the fortress michelangelo built at civitavecchia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civitavecchia
it's shorter and thicker than medieval fortresses but people haven't figured out the math that gives the "star" shape yet

people came up with some weird poo poo in those early fortresses: for instance the germans invented the pillbox in the 16th century but they dropped it quickly because firing black powder weapons in a room isn't a good idea

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 26, 2019

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
My favorite part in Kingdom of Heaven is when Balian casually invents the star fort while he's hanging out with Baldwin IV in 1184.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

HEY GUNS posted:

firing black powder weapons in a room isn't a good idea
This statement also goes a long way towards explaining the navies of the era.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
All fortifications in history can be looked at as you need X resources to take this area.

The effectiveness of fortifications in any specific time or place is dependent on how easy it is for an army of the time to amass X

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
This man claims that this is the first time in history that three consecutive generations of Germans can live in peace. Is this claim accurate?

https://twitter.com/Bergmann_Mat/status/1088918411210616832

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

This man claims that this is the first time in history that three consecutive generations of Germans can live in peace. Is this claim accurate?

https://twitter.com/Bergmann_Mat/status/1088918411210616832

I mean the battlegroup in North Afghanistan might be a bit upset to hear that.