Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Captain von Trapp posted:

Not to sound flippant, but the relatively small number of military deaths largely moots that point.

Or you could just pay survivors their fair share, if it's really so insignificant. As is, the law makes sure that the government deducts your dues from your other dues so that they are not additive, but instead subtract from each other to minimize payments to survivors of service-members who die.

Add to that the fact that, even adjusted for education, children, etc, military spouses are four times as unlikely to be unemployed as their comparative peers. This isn't because of some mil spouse culture of doing nothing, especially in this day and age. Turns out moving a lot based on military whims can put a cramp in building a career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

McNally posted:

:nallears:

(also doesn't Tricare usually generate a surplus?)

mlmp08 posted:

Or you could just pay survivors their fair share, if it's really so insignificant. As is, the law makes sure that the government deducts your dues from your other dues so that they are not additive, but instead subtract from each other to minimize payments to survivors of service-members who die.

Add to that the fact that, even adjusted for education, children, etc, military spouses are four times as unlikely to be unemployed as their comparative peers. This isn't because of some mil spouse culture of doing nothing, especially in this day and age. Turns out moving a lot based on military whims can put a cramp in building a career.

I am very, very aware that things that the government does that should be cheap, easy, and humane are in fact done in expensive, difficult, and cruel ways.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mortabis posted:

I haven't seen the numbers for tricare, but I have seen the numbers for a lot of health insurance plans (one of my firm's areas of practice) and there's just no way. The benefits for dependents are very generous.

Note that I've literally never seen an employer health insurance plan that makes money off of its premiums. That's not the point; it's compensation.

It's probably old news, I couldn't find anything on it one way or the other past 2012 when DoD was getting pushback on the notion that they had to raise Tricare fees because Tricare fees had generated a $700 million surplus (over a period of time, I'd imagine, not annually).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I could be wrong, but I believe Mortabis is misinterpreting McNally here. The military did not make money off of Tricare unless you view the DOD as a closed system and ignore budget money given to them by Congress.

It spent less money than projected on Tricare, to the tune of around $700 million back in 2012 or so. This could have been, depending on one's reading of some complex stuff, due to the slowdown in rising healthcare costs following the passage of PPACA or it could have been that the DOD inflated projected Tricare costs so that they could re-purpose the money elsewhere as a bit of a slush fund.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
It's most likely due to dodgy accounting. PPACA increased payouts for all of our clients' plans but Tricare was probably immune from that; the main cost driver was eliminating annual/lifetime caps and I suspect Tricare never had those anyway.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Interested in this hypothetical, Academi/Blackwater decides to invade and take over one of the low countries. Light infantry arriving on chartered flights. NATO, at Trump's desire, doesn't come to the rescue. Do they succeed?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SgtMongoose posted:

Interested in this hypothetical, Academi/Blackwater decides to invade and take over one of the low countries. Light infantry arriving on chartered flights. NATO, at Trump's desire, doesn't come to the rescue. Do they succeed?

Unless you are talking about Luxembourg, then no. And I'd say it's doubtful even if it's Luxembourg.

Belgium has about 30,000 active military personnell, Netherlands about 70,000, both of them are fairly well equipped and trained.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

SgtMongoose posted:

Tom Clancy, aren't you supposed to be dead?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Sounds like the perfect setting for Mercenaries 3

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SgtMongoose posted:

1. The EU has a collective defense close too. See TEU article 42.7. Also note the Benelux's geographical situation compared to the EU's largest military powers as well as its political and commercial importance: most EU offices, agencies and other administrative bodies are either in Brussels or in Luxembourg, and the seaports of the Netherlands handle a disproportionately huge part of EU shipping.
2. I thought Academi's current plan was taking over Afghanistan.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

SgtMongoose posted:

So In the Netherlands case, some light infantry on commerical jets vs a mechanized, a motorized, a air assault brigade and a marine brigade. I don't know how large blackwater/academi/are but NL/BE at least are rich countries with population in the 10-20million range.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Think of it this way: if you look at military spending as a jobs program it’s likely cheaper to just pay off the workers directly (welfare, make do jobs stacking government bricks, whatever) and buy a cheap boat from Korea than it is to buy a boat from Irving at inflated prices. Then take whatever is left over and build part of a community college or whatever.

I'm just trying to imagine the timeline that leads to Canada becoming a pariah state that needs to build all of its own military hardware. Perhaps unlawfully detaining too many foreign nationals for no reason? :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mlmp08 posted:

four times as unlikely

What.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

:downs: I was tired.

Military spouses have four times the rate of unemployment compared to their peers, controlling for education, age, etc.

edit:

Watch the Navy's newest weird destroyer with a fraught history get commissioned in a few hours if you like
http://navylive.dodlive.mil/2019/01/23/uss-michael-monsoor-ddg-1001-commissioning/

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 26, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Friendly reminder that Academi are a chickenshit outfit run by insane fundies and mostly specializes in spree shooti wetwork and deniable spec ops stuff these days. They couldn't invade a kiddie pond without US military infrastructure and money backing them up, and if that happened you'd have a whole other level of problem.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
So? They don't care about winning, they want money.

KBR was literally killing American troops ffs.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Can we talk about what's happening in Venezuela or is that veering too far into polchat?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It’s definitely set to be a fine poo poo show of interventionism if we decide to step in. The marginal light is other countries besides the US seem mad at the situation.

https://twitter.com/trevortimm/status/1088922643007328257?s=21

To keep it Cold War an Iran Contra chucklefuck now has an official position in this nonsense.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sperglord Actual posted:

Can we talk about what's happening in Venezuela or is that veering too far into polchat?

Not trying to backseat or anything but unless you can find a picture of the Tu-160s that were just there with Caracas in-frame (ideally with the protests visible) it would probably be best to take it to the D&D thread (which is :lol:)?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alaan posted:

It’s definitely set to be a fine poo poo show of interventionism if we decide to step in. The marginal light is other countries besides the US seem mad at the situation.

https://twitter.com/trevortimm/status/1088922643007328257?s=21

To keep it Cold War an Iran Contra chucklefuck now has an official position in this nonsense.

Probably by far the most experienced candidate for the position

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
Number twenty-nine.

Tucson is next at the end of February, then Duxford in May.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Phanatic posted:

What a weird paint job.

mlmp08 posted:

Connies lay their eggs inside the cocoons of other, far more beautiful aircraft, their larvae feeding on the host airplane before bursting forth and then crashing.

So that's why they called the engines Wasp Majors.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FrozenVent posted:

If it wasn’t for the Canadian procurement services, we wouldn’t have Davy Shipyard and Federal Fleet Services dunking on Seaspan and Irving all day every day on social media so it’s a wash really.

Sure would be nice to have some new icebreakers by now though.

So recently I was in Vancouver walking around the new quay shopping complex in North Van with my aunt when she made a comment about Seaspan being major local industry. I confused the hell out of her by going on a tear about American politics that went on for a good 15 minutes until I realized I was staring at the word SEASPAN painted in fifty foot high letters on the steel wall of a drydock at the shipyard and she had not, in fact, been referring to C-SPAN. :ohdear:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Seaspan is the slightly less terrible option to davie/irving but it is still bad.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Kesper North posted:

So recently I was in Vancouver walking around the new quay shopping complex in North Van with my aunt when she made a comment about Seaspan being major local industry. I confused the hell out of her by going on a tear about American politics that went on for a good 15 minutes until I realized I was staring at the word SEASPAN painted in fifty foot high letters on the steel wall of a drydock at the shipyard and she had not, in fact, been referring to C-SPAN. :ohdear:

Wait, you mean they haven’t relocated the U.S. Congress to Vancouver to take advantage of the lower production costs?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Aviationist with an article and video on the Backfire crash from the other day.

Don’t watch if you’re sensitive to fatal crashes, I guess.

I didn’t realize it was a landing accident until I saw the video. Sucks. :(

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I expected maybe gear collapse, not a neck snap.

:stare:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Yikes. Did the bounce do that or was there prior fatigue/damage?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mlmp08 posted:

I expected maybe gear collapse, not a neck snap.

:stare:

Can't tell if talking about plane or crew....

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

The Aviationist with an article and video on the Backfire crash from the other day.

Don’t watch if you’re sensitive to fatal crashes, I guess.

I didn’t realize it was a landing accident until I saw the video. Sucks. :(

That's some awful weather to be landing in, runway isn't even plowed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's some awful weather to be landing in, runway isn't even plowed.

In Russia, runway plow you!

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Sperglord Actual posted:

Yikes. Did the bounce do that or was there prior fatigue/damage?

Dunno if anyone here reads Russian, but this blog (with sort of broken English) claims a preliminary report from the accident investigation leaked. They say the cause was due to pilot error, because the "crew allowed landing with increased load."

https://defence-blog.com/news/russian-tu-22m3-bomber-crash-preliminary-report-gives-details.html

Not sure how that leads to the neck snapping, but I'm no engineer.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I don’t see how even one of the four survived that. They’re all up front right? Is #4 a veggie or a quad?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

CIGNX posted:

Dunno if anyone here reads Russian, but this blog (with sort of broken English) claims a preliminary report from the accident investigation leaked. They say the cause was due to pilot error, because the "crew allowed landing with increased load."

https://defence-blog.com/news/russian-tu-22m3-bomber-crash-preliminary-report-gives-details.html

Does that mean they landed over max landing weight or over-G on landing, maybe? I’m not an engineer either but both of those seem like the kind of things that can make structures fail.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CIGNX posted:

The longerons on those Backfires are probably held together with used up nicotine gum, second-rate duct tape, and probably haven't been meaningfully reinforced since Yeltsin was president, and that's being generous.

There's a reason they're trying to replace the Tu-22Ms with Su-34s, and even the Su-34s are having issues now. That aside, however, their pilots are all woefully behind on flight hours, so while there definitely was pilot error here, it's not entirely on them, either.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 27, 2019

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
You should be aware of the fact that this is charming as all hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad7rkB_GE6Y

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is stating the obvious, but that bird came in hot/steep.

Regular landing approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-osnXmmAlo&t=44s

Death approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHMSSU_XyxU&t=70s

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mlmp08 posted:

This is stating the obvious, but that bird came in hot/steep.

Regular landing approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-osnXmmAlo&t=44s

Death approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHMSSU_XyxU&t=70s

Yeah, even in the best case scenario there, the plane would've been a write-off and a few tailbones would've been broken or cracked.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, I've seen carrier ops that touch down gentler than that accident video. Clearly came in too hot (vertically anyway) but in those conditions I can't say I'd have done better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
God drat :staredog:

I was wondering why I kept hearing engines, then realized they weren't in frame, then they came crashing back down to earth. gently caress.