Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
i could use a burg right now tbh! after brewing and pickling the day away, i had instant noodles and salad for dinner lmbo

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

i could use a burg right now tbh! after brewing and pickling the day away, i had instant noodles and salad for dinner lmbo

Lolol great job home cooking pot noodles!!!

Get a burger!

POOL IS CLOSED

hamjobs posted:

Lolol great job home cooking pot noodles!!!

Get a burger!

pot noodles huh??? is anyone making weed noods out there?

also I found a pdf that does a great job of breaking down a lot of the individual steps for making a one stage makgeolli: https://takjoo.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/a-primer-on-brewing-makgeolli.pdf

the recipe is slightly different but it includes things like busting up clumps in the steamed rice before it’s cooled down, which I didn’t do, and stirring a few times over the first 48-72 hours, which I am, to encourage yeast multiplication

I tasted a little of the mash and it’s like sweetened rice pudding. my baby is alive!! :3:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

pot noodles huh??? is anyone making weed noods out there?

also I found a pdf that does a great job of breaking down a lot of the individual steps for making a one stage makgeolli: https://takjoo.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/a-primer-on-brewing-makgeolli.pdf

the recipe is slightly different but it includes things like busting up clumps in the steamed rice before it’s cooled down, which I didn’t do, and stirring a few times over the first 48-72 hours, which I am, to encourage yeast multiplication

I tasted a little of the mash and it’s like sweetened rice pudding. my baby is alive!! :3:

It's really weird to say "I can't wait to drink your baby!!!" But that's my sentiment. Also thank you for the link!

Weede noods: I dunno about noods but I know there's weed sauce. It's honestly kinda gross and you could do better at home with a simple browned butter sauce.

poverty goat

i made this pizza the other day from extra sourdough dough and misc. veg/cheese drawer detritus

poverty goat

also, I cut some peppers earlier, and now there is capsaicin in my eye

POOL IS CLOSED

poverty goat posted:

ow. I wonder if flushing with milk would help or make it worse. dogspeed noble chef

makgeolli update: ?????

also here’s part 2 of my koji writeup in GWS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651363&perpage=40&pagenumber=34#post491737924 scroll up for part 1 :v:

alnilam

poverty goat posted:

the ol spicy eyeball... I get it almost every drat time i handle hot peps

POOL IS CLOSED

wear gloves ya maniacs

or just wear goggles all day

poverty goat

id wear gloves for habanero and up but this was just a poblano

poverty goat

cant stop buying misc animal parts

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

poverty goat posted:

cant stop buying misc animal parts

Pickle them trotters

POOL IS CLOSED

tonkotsu time?

shiokoji marinated chicken. the browning was uneven and very dark but not at all burned. the chicken was delicious and tender and I’m super happy with the taste and texture. finding the right way to get more even browning is the next step.

I followed the BA foolproof chicken recipe other than the marinade but that’s clearly too hot and having the chicken in a skillet inhibited browning elsewhere.

e: also the lady farmer from whom I buy fancy eggs to eat at dangerous temps has had a massive barn fire that destroyed a lot of equipment and killed a lot of animals so I’m thinking of eggy recipes to make to help promote their fundraiser. id love suggestions

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 20, 2019

Astrofig
I'm going to New Orleans later this year; can anyone rec me some awesome places to eat? Gonna get some real gumbo and beignets and chicory coffee.

poverty goat

joke_explainer

Menudo, or you tripin' it up for some other reason?

POOL IS CLOSED

alas I know little about nola restaurants. also I want to know what happened to the offal

the makgeolli looks terrifying here but smells and tastes really good. sweet tart and fruity, with a distinct but not overwhelming citrus character. it’s gonna need a couple more days at least, since it’s still fermenting very actively. wish me and my germs luck!

poverty goat

Menudo. I kept seeing tripe on my hunting expeditons and decided to give it a go

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

The ol Ricky Martin soup in a bolillo bolsa

poverty goat

It's pretty good. The broth is super rich, all around tasty beef and chili stock due to the marrow bones and trotters, and doesn't even jiggle in the fridge. It's like a brick now. I guess I did a good job because there's no weird flavors or smells and the tripe is bursting with the flavor of the stock, like weird protein dumplings. The texture is a little weird, but I mean, I eat oysters

POOL IS CLOSED

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Astrofig posted:

I'm going to New Orleans later this year; can anyone rec me some awesome places to eat? Gonna get some real gumbo and beignets and chicory coffee.

heck yeah! here ya go:

Cafe du Monde, 800 Decatur- This place is an institution. You start here in the morning (or whenever, it's 24/7), for the real beignet and chicory coffee experience. There may be a line outside. These are tourists. There'll be people passing the line and taking the first available table. These are locals, and they know that Cafe du Monde doesn't have a line. Sit down, and a server will zip by shortly.

Royal House Oyster Bar, 441 Royal- chicken andouille gumbo, fried alligator appetizers, oysters prepared multiple ways, crawfish etouffee, or even a whole lobster served up like a giant crawfish with potatoes and corn. very nice dining experience that is modestly-priced and in the quarter. They also have a breakfast menu.

Verti Marte, 1201 Royal- ancient 24 hr. convenience store with amazing po-boy sandwiches in the back, in addition to a full breakfast lunch and dinner menu including red beans rice and sausage, dirty rice, and other Louisiana classics. I always get the fried oyster sandwich if they have it. Menu changes daily, cash only, tip when you order for faster service.

Of course there's a million awesome places to eat in New Orleans, and half the fun can be wandering around and finding your own nooks and crannies. Hope you have a great time :)

itty bitty baby boy

how do you do that thing with colored text in this box

Astrofig posted:

Hi I don't post here much because you guys are all better chefs than me, but my family lives in New Orleans and every time I go home for the holidays they show me all the cool new places to eat. Here are some places I'd highly recommend:

Meril -- it's super-hip, small plates and drinks, I think it's the newest thing in Emeril's restaurant empire. Everything there is fun and interesting.

Saba - There's a whole goofy story about how Alon Shaya, who's a hot poo poo New Orleans restaurateur, lost control of his namesake restaurant Shaya then spite-opened extremely-similar restaurant Saba a block away. Anyhow they're both amazing Israeli food but Saba is more morally appropriate.

Cochon - it's got super good meats. Check out Cochon Butcher, the deli counter lunch place addendum nearby, if you just wanna get a sandwich for lunch.

Maypop - this place owns incredibly. New-American fusion.

Kin - this place owns incredibly. Kinda goofy ramen.

Also the best gumbo I had was at D.T.B. Hope this all helps!!

Manifisto

itty bitty baby boy posted:

Hi I don't post here much because you guys are all better chefs than me, but my family lives in New Orleans and every time I go home for the holidays they show me all the cool new places to eat. Here are some places I'd highly recommend:

Meril -- it's super-hip, small plates and drinks, I think it's the newest thing in Emeril's restaurant empire. Everything there is fun and interesting.

Saba - There's a whole goofy story about how Alon Shaya, who's a hot poo poo New Orleans restaurateur, lost control of his namesake restaurant Shaya then spite-opened extremely-similar restaurant Saba a block away. Anyhow they're both amazing Israeli food but Saba is more morally appropriate.

Cochon - it's got super good meats. Check out Cochon Butcher, the deli counter lunch place addendum nearby, if you just wanna get a sandwich for lunch.

Maypop - this place owns incredibly. New-American fusion.

Kin - this place owns incredibly. Kinda goofy ramen.

Also the best gumbo I had was at D.T.B. Hope this all helps!!

oo I may have to visit new orleans just to try these out!

ty nesamdoom!

poverty goat

shakshouka strikes again

Manifisto

poverty goat posted:

shakshouka strikes again

oo thank you for reminding me I will have to make this p soon

the avocado seems like a pro addition

is that parsley or cilantro?

ty nesamdoom!

poverty goat

Manifisto posted:

oo thank you for reminding me I will have to make this p soon

the avocado seems like a pro addition

is that parsley or cilantro?

cilantro

it was eggcellent

Manifisto

get him to the (fenu)greek

I mentioned in the chat thread that I was making a dish with fenugreek leaves, and someone requested a trip report, so here it is.

I was afraid I'd have to make do with dried fenugreek, but fortunately I found frozen. score!

as noted in the other thread, this recipe is "Fenugreek-Flavored Dumplings with Cabbage" from 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer. the title of the book says "curries" but it's really a quite large and varied compendium of dishes from all over India, as well as some contemporary fusion variations. I think it's a pretty well-regarded cookbook as far as Indian food goes.

here's how it turned out:

if someone is interested, I could post the recipe. a warning, though: this dish calls for turmeric, and if you've never cooked with turmeric before, well, you should know that it is a "superfood," and as far as I can tell what it is "super" good at is staining everything it comes into contact with a yellow that will never, ever come out. so don't let this dish come into contact with any wooden cutting boards or utensils, any light colored washcloths or clothing, or heck literally anything you can't live with a yellowish cast on.

um, so, the dish. I liked it! the fenugreek has a very herby smell but it did not overwhelm the dumplings. I used a minimum of water putting the dumplings together, as the recipe indicated, but I think I made them slightly too dry. they still tasted good - very substantial. I used considerably less chili pepper than called for in the recipe, but I think mine were serranos so the dish ended up overall about as spicy as I can comfortably handle, in fact I would have preferred slightly less heat but it was really fine.

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

Manifisto posted:

get him to the (fenu)greek

I mentioned in the chat thread that I was making a dish with fenugreek leaves, and someone requested a trip report, so here it is.

I was afraid I'd have to make do with dried fenugreek, but fortunately I found frozen. score!

as noted in the other thread, this recipe is "Fenugreek-Flavored Dumplings with Cabbage" from 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer. the title of the book says "curries" but it's really a quite large and varied compendium of dishes from all over India, as well as some contemporary fusion variations. I think it's a pretty well-regarded cookbook as far as Indian food goes.

here's how it turned out:

if someone is interested, I could post the recipe. a warning, though: this dish calls for turmeric, and if you've never cooked with turmeric before, well, you should know that it is a "superfood," and as far as I can tell what it is "super" good at is staining everything it comes into contact with a yellow that will never, ever come out. so don't let this dish come into contact with any wooden cutting boards or utensils, any light colored washcloths or clothing, or heck literally anything you can't live with a yellowish cast on.

um, so, the dish. I liked it! the fenugreek has a very herby smell but it did not overwhelm the dumplings. I used a minimum of water putting the dumplings together, as the recipe indicated, but I think I made them slightly too dry. they still tasted good - very substantial. I used considerably less chili pepper than called for in the recipe, but I think mine were serranos so the dish ended up overall about as spicy as I can comfortably handle, in fact I would have preferred slightly less heat but it was really fine.

This looks really drat nice. Is the taste comparable to anything? It sure looks quite unique.
Also, if you don't mind, I'd be really interested in the recipe, as tomorrow is a shiny saturday and this might call for some excessive cooking efforts. :chef:

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

This looks really drat nice. Is the taste comparable to anything? It sure looks quite unique.
Also, if you don't mind, I'd be really interested in the recipe, as tomorrow is a shiny saturday and this might call for some excessive cooking efforts. :chef:

hmm. well, the cabbage tastes like a nice spiced sauteed cabbage, with the sugar and ginger it's slightly sweet but not overly so, and it's as spicy-hot as you choose to make it. I suppose the dumplings might be a little like herbed spaetzle? the chickpea flour makes them fairly dense and, as I said, "substantial." it's a little hard to describe the fenugreek, the herbaceousness might be called vaguely like a muted cilantro.

I don't mind sharing the recipe at all!

Fenugreek-Flavored Dumplings with Cabbage
from 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer

Ingredients for Dumplings:
  • 1 cup garbanzo/chickpea flour, sifted
  • 2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour (or roti flour)
  • 1 cup chopped fenugreek leaves - fresh or frozen (thawed and squeezed dry) - OR, 1/2 cup dried fenugreek leaves, soaked in water then drained
  • 1 tsp. coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
  • 1/4 tsp. turmeric
  • 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
  • 4-6 fresh green chilies (e.g. Thai, cayenne, serrano), or to taste, finely chopped, with seeds
  • 1 Tbsp. canola oil

Ingredients for Curry:
  • 1 pound cabbage, thinly sliced/shredded (this was about 1/2 a large head of cabbage) - TIP: a long serrated knife, e.g. a bread knife, does a great job on cabbage
  • 1/2 tsp. turmeric
  • 2 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 1 tsp. whole mustard seeds (black or yellow)
  • 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
  • 2-4 fresh green chilies, or to taste, sliced into thin rounds, with seeds
  • 2 tsp. coriander seeds, ground
  • 1 tsp. cumin seeds, ground
  • 1/4 tsp. asafetida
  • 1 tsp. coarse salt (kosher or sea salt)
  • 1 tsp. sugar (granulated white sugar)
  • 2 tsp. chopped cilantro, or to taste, for garnish

Instructions for Dumplings:
  1. Combine flours, fenugreek, salt, turmeric, ginger, and chilies in a bowl. Pour the oil over top and using hand work the oil into the mixture. Add 1 Tbsp. warm water and see if mixture will form into a ball. If not, add another 1-2 Tbsp. of water. Wash and dry your hands, lightly grease hands with more oil, and knead the dough until it is smooth and glossy.

2. Roll dough into an 8-inch log. Cut into half-inch pieces. Roll each piece into a ball then flatten into a patty approximately 1/2 inch thick.

3. Put dumplings into a steamer basket (metal or bamboo) and steam over medium heat until a paring knife comes out clean, approximately 8-10 minutes. Transfer dumplings to a plate and reserve the steaming water.

Instructions for Curry:
  1. Put sliced cabbage, reserved steaming water, and 1 cup additional water into a large saucepan or wok. Bring to boil over medium-high heat and cook cabbage until wilted, approximately 5 minutes. Add turmeric and cook until tender, about 10 more minutes. Reserve 1 cup of cooking water and drain cabbage in a colander.

2. In a large skillet or wok, heat canola oil using medium high heat. Add mustard seeds and cover skillet immediately (mustard seeds will pop like popcorn within about 30 seconds). As soon as mustard seeds are done popping, add ginger, chilies, coriander, cumin, asafetida, salt, and sugar, and stir fry for just a few seconds.

3. Add the reserved cooking water, cabbage, and dumplings. Simmer uncovered until slightly thickened, 3-5 minutes.

4. Serve, garnished with cilantro if desired.

ty nesamdoom!

Goons Are Gifts

Thank you! Got to check if my local grocery store got the stuffs then I will try to make it and update you on the progress!

Kosani
Ni ni.

Astrofig posted:

Find a seafood boil, specifically crab/crawfish.

Chicory coffee is gross, unless you're looking for the experience I would just get a coffee you actually enjoy.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Kosani posted:

Chicory coffee is gross, unless you're looking for the experience I would just get a coffee you actually enjoy.

this is a subjective opinion. chicory coffee is good imo, at the right proportion and with cream/sugar. i do understand that it was originally added because coffee is expensive; the chicory stretches it out and has caffeine

sometimes people buy du monde from the store, make it like they would regular coffee, and develop a negative opinion of it because they used way too much. if you go to the cafe on decatur, they have a bunch of different coffee drinks, so you don't necessarily have to drink straight dirty root water.

POOL IS CLOSED

my home was dark as heck during Thursday’s heckweather so behold: porch hooch

the makgeolli came out awesome. used a NUT MILK BAG to squeeze it off the lees. it’s sweet and green apple-fancy orange tart. a much more experienced makgeolli brewer told me that the pichia edge will age off so that’s exciting too

alnilam

Alwaysy love a good nut milk bag story with a happy ending

poverty goat

I have made many of the 660 curries but it would have been better if he had hung in there and made the last sprint to 666. My favorite is probably the chicken vindaloo with coconut milk

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 26, 2019

alnilam

yeah seriously when i saw it was six hundred and sixty i was like ".....and?"

Manifisto

the missing six curries are fiery goat curries and they are sold in a special supplement that is banned in 69 countries.

ty nesamdoom!

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a crock pot of canned beans and hominy (with a bit of extra tomato sauce and minced garlic) going right now and they smell real good.

I've been dolloping yogurt on top in lieu of sour cream.

It is simple fare, but satisfying.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

ive got some lamb kleftiko kind of along these lines plus some carrots/parsnips and goat feta in the oven. it's a torturous dish to prepare because you have to smell it cooking in its full glory for at least 2-3 hours.`