Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s easy to be a German at peace if you live in Switzerland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Platystemon posted:

It’s easy to be a German at peace if you live in Switzerland.

Hey it's not their fault that no one wants to come to play with them.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nenonen posted:

Hey it's not their fault that no one wants to come to play with them.

Who wants to storm a wall of mountains and Nazi gold?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's uphill man!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Alchenar posted:

I mean the battlegroup in North Afghanistan might be a bit upset to hear that.

There is a difference between "Germany is not involved in any military operations anywhere" and "The average German can reasonably expect not to experience a war first hand in their lifetime". Everyone deployed to Afghanistan volunteered.

I'd argue that the claim is correct.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

There is a difference between "Germany is not involved in any military operations anywhere" and "The average German can reasonably expect not to experience a war first hand in their lifetime". Everyone deployed to Afghanistan volunteered.

I'd argue that the claim is correct.

1525 to 1618? By this definition you'd need something bigger than eg the Schmalkaldic war to count.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 26, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That has got to be the most ridiculous name for a war I've ever heard.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

zoux posted:

That has got to be the most ridiculous name for a war I've ever heard.

The War of Jenkins's Ear...

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GUNS posted:

poland/lithuania is my favorite historical political thing and it's not even close

Which part of Poland/Lithuania? I liked it most when it was a pagan duchy and kicked rear end, but ymmv I guess :D

(on that note, BBCs In Our Time has a neat panel on the Baltic Crusades, and you can hear it here and you should: It includes a pagan lord swearing an oath while covered in something that makes christians figure he's serious! One weird diplomatic trick: Teutons hate it etc. )

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

feedmegin posted:

The War of Jenkins's Ear...

According to Wikipedia there has been three separate conflicts named The Pig War.

Tias
May 25, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

According to Wikipedia there has been three separate conflicts named The Pig War.

We danes had the Cod Wars with someone, I suspect brits or icelanders.

Also, the Football War is a favorite of mine, because of course someone had one, and of course it was in latin America :D (El Salvador and Honduras)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Tias posted:

Also, the Football War is a favorite of mine, because of course someone had one, and of course it was in latin America :D (El Salvador and Honduras)

Also featured air-to-air combat between Mustangs and Corsairs in the sixties.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tias posted:

Those were between Britain and Iceland, iirc, and it was mighty military superpower Iceland who won them :shobon:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh, right!

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Tias posted:

France and Brazil had the Lobster War, which was over taxonomy as much as anything. And there was The War of the Bucket, part of the Guelphs and Ghibellines strife.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
There was the Pig War, which started when somebody's pig got into somebody else's garden, and almost led to war between the US and Britain.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

feedmegin posted:

1525 to 1618? By this definition you'd need something bigger than eg the Schmalkaldic war to count.

I wouldn't say that the average German at the time could reasonably expect not to be involved in a war, even if in the event they did not. Germany in 2019 is literally allied to every country at its borders except for one, which has not taken offensive military action since, I believe, the 1400s. The Germany of the 16th century still had a lot of internal and often external strife.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

So, I was reading "The Collapse of the German War Economy 1944-1945" by Mierzejewski, and in a summary of wartime circumstances he mentioned how German armies remained tactically superior to Allied right to the end. I was interested in what references he would use for that, and the notes pointed me to van Creveld's "Fighting Power" from 1980, which I remembered hearing a lot about, specifically often mentioned as a reference by wargame designers.

I never read the book so I did a search, and seems this van Creveld is still alive and even has a blog! What's the first post that comes up?

Martin van Creveld posted:

Some of those who read my recent book, Pussycats, have asked me to say a little more about what could and should be done to restore the West’s waning fighting power. Given the differences between various Western countries, obviously there cannot be a single solution: still the following should apply, more or less, to most.

Hey, that could be interesting! :)

quote:

To start at the beginning, the all-pervasive system whereby many young people are doomed to remain crybabies and forcibly prevented from growing up should be terminated.

Uh, hm?

quote:

Put an end to what one writer called “the war against boys,” under which boys keep being told how bad, how wicked, how oppressive, they and their male friends and relatives are and punished whenever they make a “gun” out of schnitzel and shout “pow-pow” or even look at a girl. Terminate the situation whereby boys over six, or eight, or ten, or fourteen, are taught mainly by women. Have more male teachers in elementary school. If necessary re-segregate the education system so as to allow boys to be boys and save them the humiliation of having to compete with girls.

Ummm...

quote:

Fourth, the vexed question of PTSD. The idea that war is necessarily harmful to the soul and, unless properly treated by all kinds of experts, will tend to destroy it is peculiar to the modern West. Looking back into history before 1860 or so, there is little or no evidence to support it; nor does it seem to be, or have been, a major problem in non-Western forces such as Hezbollah, Daesh, and, four decades ago, the Viet Cong. Ergo the phenomenon, which in recent year has grown to the point where it is threatening to undermine what little of the West’s will to fight remains, is a cultural one. So stop the system whereby anyone returning from war is automatically suspect of carrying the problem and practically forced to suffer from it. Reward those who do not contract PTSD instead of those who do so. Instead of pitying veterans and treating them as damaged good, find ways to reward them and above all, celebrate them for their heroism and their sacrifice.

OK! Probably not going to bother with your book, Mr. van Creveld.

http://www.martin-van-creveld.com/tag/fighting-power/

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Oh wow. I’ve heard of him before but have read his Art of War, which didn’t really leave much impression although it was fairly brief. I know I’ve heard some of his bigger works recommended before. I did look to see what else he has written and this is certainly something:

quote:

After his death in the Berlin bunker, Adolf Hitler finds himself in Hell. To his surprise, he finds it to be a place of more tedium than torment, although he is depressed to learn that he will never see his beloved German Shepherd Blondi again because all dogs go to Heaven.

With nothing better to do than to pass the time, Hitler reflects upon his life in light of the post-World War II world. He is boastful, unrepentant, and absolutely determined to tell his side of the story, set the record straight, and get even with his enemies—both his contemporaries and those who abused his legend since his demise. In Hell, Adolf Hitler is finally free to tell the true story of the Nazi Party, World War II, and the final solution that eventually came to be known as the Holocaust.

HITLER IN HELL is Martin van Creveld's first novel.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

I wouldn't say that the average German at the time could reasonably expect not to be involved in a war, even if in the event they did not. Germany in 2019 is literally allied to every country at its borders

This was also true in 1815, iirc. Something something Concert of Europe. Nobody can reasonably expect not to experience a war 60 years from now, imo. It's not reasonable to predict that far ahead.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 26, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FastestGunAlive posted:

After his death in the Berlin bunker, Adolf Hitler finds himself in Hell. To his surprise, he finds it to be a place of more tedium than torment, although he is depressed to learn that he will never see his beloved German Shepherd Blondi again because all dogs go to Heaven.

With nothing better to do than to pass the time, Hitler reflects upon his life in light of the post-World War II world. He is boastful, unrepentant, and absolutely determined to tell his side of the story, set the record straight, and get even with his enemies—both his contemporaries and those who abused his legend since his demise. In Hell, Adolf Hitler is finally free to tell the true story of the Nazi Party, World War II, and the final solution that eventually came to be known as the Holocaust.

:stonklol:

I mean, we’ve gotta book club this now, right?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I've come across van Creveld before. He seems to have been a serious historian and then at some point veered off into, well, that. He has strong opinions about women in the military as well iirc.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

aphid_licker posted:

I've come across van Creveld before. He seems to have been a serious historian and then at some point veered off into, well, that. He has strong opinions about women in the military as well iirc.
His early books are really good. I think 9/11 broke him (or accelerated the old age brain spiders).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

The idea that war is necessarily harmful to the soul and, unless properly treated by all kinds of experts, will tend to destroy it is peculiar to the modern West. Looking back into history before 1860 or so, there is little or no evidence to support it
:wrong:

there are literary accounts, doctors' accounts, and POSSIBLY first-person accounts of something like PTSD from the early modern period. Or at least the guy who got hammered and then started beating the friend who tried to take him home with a razor strop, for no reason at all, wasn't really "normal." (This one was interesting from a legal perspective because the friend didn't want to press charges--the regimental Schultheiss brought the charges himself, to force the perp to pay for his medical bills)

feedmegin posted:

Those mercenaries were volunteers as well though. But the civilians in their path sure weren't. I assume he means within Central Europe itself.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 26, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FMguru posted:

His early books are really good. I think 9/11 broke him (or accelerated the old age brain spiders).
According to a friend of mine it was a bad divorce

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

HEY GUNS posted:

According to a friend of mine it was a bad divorce
Ah, that would do it.

I'll still stand up for his Supplying War (1977), Command in War (1985), and Transformation of War (1991).

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hegel always with the juicy historian gossip

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

From the same post: don't blame anyone for not wanting to read it for themselves but at least his linked GIF really about sums up his argument:

quote:

Third, women in the military. That many women do their job as well as any man no one questions. However, their widespread presence in the military gives rise to three major problems. First, even a cursory look at the way things are managed will show that women are privileged, causing widespread resentment among the male personnel (the more so because they are not allowed to talk about it). Second, it deprives that personnel from what is perhaps their most important reason for enlisting and fighting, which is to prove their masculinity to themselves and to others. Third, it opens the door to all kinds of claims about “sexual harassment,” to the point any male soldiers are now afraid of being accused or it (and sexual assault, and rape) than of the enemy. To solve these problems, 1. Cut down the number of women to, say, 10 percent of the total. 2. Put an end to coed basic training, which is a pure waste of (to see what such “training” looks like, watch http://i.imgur.com/t3CF25z.gif ) and a humiliation to the men who participate in it. 3. Remove women from all combat and direct combat support jobs, which also means capping the ranks to which they can rise. 4. Reconstitute the woman’s corps in such a way that only women will command woman and sexual harassment of inferiors by superiors brought to an end.

FMguru posted:

Ah, that would do it.

I'll still stand up for his Supplying War (1977), Command in War (1985), and Transformation of War (1991).

What periods do they cover, and have they been superseded by more recent works?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FMguru posted:

Ah, that would do it.

I'll still stand up for his Supplying War (1977)
i won't; he barely knows a drat thing about 17th century logistics

Derek Croxton, "A Territorial Imperative? The Military Revolution, Strategy and Peacemaking in the Thirty Years War"
Bernhard Kroener, Les Routes Et Les Etapes
David Parrott, Richelieu's Army
Jürgen Pohl, "Die Profiantirung der Keyserlichen Armaden Ahnbelangendt"
Lothar Hoebelt, Von Noerdlingen bis Janckau
Geoffrey Parker, The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road, ofc

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 26, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

From the same post: don't blame anyone for not wanting to read it for themselves but at least his linked GIF really about sums up his argument:

Looks like a good throw to me, she almost got 3 kills

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKy82LOH9n0

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Valentine IX

I'm going to bump the Valentine X/XI article a little bit down the queue since it covers a lot of the same ground that this one does, I hope no one minds.

Queue: 7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR, Modern Polish tank projects, SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone), TACAM R-2, kpúv vz. 34, kpúv vz. 37, Valentine X and XI, kpúv vz. 38, IS-1 (IS-85), IS-2 (object 240), Production of the IS-2, IS-2 modernization projects, GMC M8, First Soviet assault rifles, Stahlhelm in WWI, Stahlhelm in WWII, SU-76 with big guns, Panther trials in the USSR, Western spherical tanks, S35 in German service, SU-152 combat debut, 57 mm gun M1, T-34 applique armour projects, Challenger I, military use of scale models, PzIV Ausf.F-G, Schmeisser's work in the USSR, Kalashnikov's debut works, Kalashnikov-Petrov self-loading carbine, Medium Tank M4A4, Hellcat, Heavy Tank T29, Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39, Experimental Polish tanks of the 1930s, Medium Tank M3 use in the USSR, HMC T82, HMC M37, GMC M41, Archer, T-29-5, Avenger I, FIAT 3000, FIAT L6-40, [M13/40, M14/41, M15/42], Carro Armato P40 and prospective Italian heavy tanks, Grosstraktor, Panzer IV/70

Available for request:

:ussr:
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
MS-1 production
SU-76M (SU-15M) production
S-51
SU-76I
T-26 with mine detection equipment
IS-2 mod. 1944
Airborne tanks
Soviet WWII pistol and rifle suppressors

:britain:

:911:

:godwin:
Jagdpanzer IV
Gebirgskanone M 15
Maus development in 1943-44
German anti-tank rifles
Czech anti-tank rifles in German service
Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service
Flakpanzer 38(t)
Flakpanzers on the PzIV chassis

:france:

:italy:

:poland:

:eurovision:
Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 27, 2019

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

God I hate this guy already.

Also aren't training accidents like that not something specific to women? I swear I've heard of plenty of bootcamp idiocy stories committed by guys as well.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Medium Tank M4A4, Hellcat, Heavy Tank T29, Hotchkiss H 35 and H 39, Experimental Polish tanks of the 1930s, the rest of :911:, Archer, T-29-5, Avenger I, :italy:, Grosstraktor, Panzer IV/70.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Raenir Salazar posted:

God I hate this guy already.

Also aren't training accidents like that not something specific to women? I swear I've heard of plenty of bootcamp idiocy stories committed by guys as well.

Yeah i've seen tonnes of gifs of mostly male recruits hilariously loving up trying to throw grenades

It's almost as if grenade throwing ranges are specifically designed due to this being a common occurrence

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i think he's most uncomfortable with the idea of women being promoted over men; see that rank cap thing he said

which is funny because he's israeli and may have been commanded by women during his mandatory military service in their coed army, so suckit

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

HEY GUNS posted:

i think he's most uncomfortable with the idea of women being promoted over men; see that rank cap thing he said

which is funny because he's israeli and may have been commanded by women during his mandatory military service in their coed army, so suckit

Seems like he's still salty about it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

wdarkk posted:

Seems like he's still salty about it.

We Need A Meritocracy By Prohibiting My Competition From Overtaking Me

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

https://www.amazon.com/Equality-Impossible-Martin-van-Creveld-ebook/dp/B00UVLE20W
https://smile.amazon.com/Privileged-Sex-Martin-van-Creveld-ebook/dp/B00EX5PJC2/

Also he's written a lot of books about Israel and the IDF, and I am not going there.

Yeah, gently caress Creveld.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Hmm, I wonder why the military power of most western nations is stagnant or declining? Could it be because they're all allied to varying degrees and there's a clear lack of any conventional military threat to them, making armies of the size they were in the past unnecessary?

Nah that's dumb, it's obviously the thing that I just happen to blame for literally all other problems, those fuckin' feminists. :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Yesterday In History With Leo Tolstoy

https://twitter.com/JozNorris/status/1088886021620748293