Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
getting real excited that we get white album and our first look at king crimson in a couple weeks

CJ posted:

Why is there a claw mark? Is it meant to be that she put her hand on the ground and softened it, then moved it in a way that happened to look like a dinosaur print?
there's almost zero way araki really knew what spice girl would look like or do by this point, considering she finally manifests thirty eight chapters later, almost a whole year

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

actually spice girl is a dinosaur

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I forgot that there were even any hints about spice girl existing before Notorious BIG

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Araki does reverse foreshadowing, where anything he hints at ends up having no bearing on the story whatsoever.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dias posted:

Araki does reverse foreshadowing, where anything he hints at ends up having no bearing on the story whatsoever.

Not everything, but there are definitely a lot of Araki Forgots that could be considered reverse foreshadowing. J. Geil's Stand blocking the rain, the "man who sought to become God" who created the Arrows, Giorno being in Florida...

Plus there's the whole category of characters who were set up as important villains but ended up getting chumped, like Jack the Ripper, Straizo, Santana, Enya, Angelo, Akira, and basically everybody in Part 8 (although in Part 8 at least it was more deliberate red herrings than failed foreshadowing).

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

CJ posted:

Why is there a claw mark? Is it meant to be that she put her hand on the ground and softened it, then moved it in a way that happened to look like a dinosaur print?

Yes, Trish leaves a similar claw mark in one of the airplane chairs when she first activates Spice Girl vs Notorious BIG.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

hell, presumably Santana is still locked up by the Speedwagon Foundation under a UV light

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

hell, presumably Santana is still locked up by the Speedwagon Foundation under a UV light

They coulda gotten Avdol to burn him at a cellular level.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Silver2195 posted:

Giorno being in Florida...

i don't think a single, disconnected coy line at the end of a chapter is grounds to really say this is 'araki intended to do something but spontaneously forgot'

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, that line's just addressing the logical "If all of DIO's sons are drawn to Florida, shouldn't Giorno be around here somewhere?" and hell he's right but should doesn't mean 'is'

all the fanart of giorno, mista and trish having fun at disney world is canon imo

Silver2195 posted:

Not everything, but there are definitely a lot of Araki Forgots that could be considered reverse foreshadowing. J. Geil's Stand blocking the rain, the "man who sought to become God" who created the Arrows, Giorno being in Florida...

Plus there's the whole category of characters who were set up as important villains but ended up getting chumped, like Jack the Ripper, Straizo, Santana, Enya, Angelo, Akira, and basically everybody in Part 8 (although in Part 8 at least it was more deliberate red herrings than failed foreshadowing).
I don't see what Minor Villains have to do with anything, like that's not Failed Foreshadowing....they were just.....just other bad guys, man

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 25, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Straizo was literally a villain for all of 7 chapters at the very beginning of the part, he wasn't being set up for poo poo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
toriyama really hosed up the handling of nappa, what bad foreshadowing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Straizo was literally just there to establish "Hey, vampires ain't poo poo anymore! Joseph is awesome."

E: Santana, who has more of a link to the actual villains of the part, being a Pillar Man, was introduced in LITERALLY THE SAME CHAPTER that Straizo heel turned!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

When I first saw Wired Beck I thought it was pretty obvious Araki was setting up the next main villain, but then the guy just got bodied instead! Araki really needs to get his poo poo together

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Straizo was literally just there to establish "Hey, vampires ain't poo poo anymore! Joseph is awesome."

E: Santana, who has more of a link to the actual villains of the part, being a Pillar Man, was introduced in LITERALLY THE SAME CHAPTER that Straizo heel turned!

Fair enough.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Augus posted:

When I first saw Wired Beck I thought it was pretty obvious Araki was setting up the next main villain, but then the guy just got bodied instead! Araki really needs to get his poo poo together

I thought Tower of Gray was DIO's Stand, but I guess Araki forgot.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm still sad Sandman turned out to be a villian. I thought he was getting set up to be something since he's like the first character we see in Part 7.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
He absolutely was set up to be something...and then was something? He takes up the lion's share of the first chapter, which establishes a ton of things that his tribe's land is being taken from them by white people, that Soundman disagrees with his tribe's hatred of books and knowledge just because from it's from white people, that Soundman thinks that they should meet the white people on their terms and buy back their land instead of relying on the fact that they were here first it, that despite their disagreements, Soundman truly does care about his sister and his tribe, that Soundman is incredibly fast and seems to have some kind of ability that others don't know about.

All of these things set up the idea of the Steel Ball Run and why he and anyone would want to enter it. though we never see it, it makes one hundred percent sense that he would join up with Valentine when the President himself comes and asks him to help. We never get his perspective again, but Soundman is practically always a threat, always placing high despite being on foot. He's always a solid dude, he's like the only guy to ask Johnny and Gyro for their corpse parts instead of just getting the jump on them, and his fight is what propels Johnny to Act 2 and stop replying on the belt buckle, but to make make his own Spin.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
basically

Expect My Mom posted:

i can tell who needs to reread part 7

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
drat near everyone in part 7 is really fully realized (regardless of how much they're actually present in the story), so when anyone dies it's like, "dang, I'd have been interested in seeing what that person could have gotten up to, but alas they have died and as such that knowledge is forever beyond us."

It's miserable but it's so good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Expect My Mom posted:

He absolutely was set up to be something...and then was something? He takes up the lion's share of the first chapter, which establishes a ton of things that his tribe's land is being taken from them by white people, that Soundman disagrees with his tribe's hatred of books and knowledge just because from it's from white people, that Soundman thinks that they should meet the white people on their terms and buy back their land instead of relying on the fact that they were here first it, that despite their disagreements, Soundman truly does care about his sister and his tribe, that Soundman is incredibly fast and seems to have some kind of ability that others don't know about.

All of these things set up the idea of the Steel Ball Run and why he and anyone would want to enter it. though we never see it, it makes one hundred percent sense that he would join up with Valentine when the President himself comes and asks him to help. We never get his perspective again, but Soundman is practically always a threat, always placing high despite being on foot. He's always a solid dude, he's like the only guy to ask Johnny and Gyro for their corpse parts instead of just getting the jump on them, and his fight is what propels Johnny to Act 2 and stop replying on the belt buckle, but to make make his own Spin.

Hmmm fair

And fair.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sandman is great and his fight is legitimately one of the best in Part 7.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hmmm fair

And fair.
In hindsight, this reads really shittly, sorry, wasn't trying to Own you, I just....I like Part 7 a lot!

I'd like to do a big Part 7 re-read at some point if other people in this thread would wanna do that or just on their own time

Schwarzwald posted:

drat near everyone in part 7 is really fully realized (regardless of how much they're actually present in the story), so when anyone dies it's like, "dang, I'd have been interested in seeing what that person could have gotten up to, but alas they have died and as such that knowledge is forever beyond us."

It's miserable but it's so good.
yeah! this is why i personally dont mind diego and hot pants just getting totally wasted

For like, the first time, we don't get the mist coming off their body and the big AT 9:17 AM DIEGO BRANDO PASSED AWAY, it's just brutal and cold. Hot Pants is a great character, but I think her just getting smoked fits the theme of Part 7's Grand Adventure better. Sometimes life is going really well until it's not and someone you really like and were invested in dies and oh well, you gotta re-learn how to walk motherfucker

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 26, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Expect My Mom posted:

In hindsight, this reads really shittly, sorry, wasn't trying to Own you, I just....I like Part 7 a lot!

I'd like to do a big Part 7 re-read at some point if other people in this thread would wanna do that or just on their own time

yeah! this is why i personally dont mind diego and hot pants just getting totally wasted

For like, the first time, we don't get the mist coming off their body and the big AT 9:17 AM DIEGO BRANDO PASSED AWAY, it's just brutal and cold. Hot Pants is a great character, but I think her just getting smoked fits the theme of Part 7's Grand Adventure better. Sometimes life is going really well until it's not and someone you really like and were invested in dies and oh well, you gotta re-learn how to walk motherfucker

No need to apologize, it's just you raised up good points I never picked up on and rereading with that foreknowledge can help transform a second reading.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a strong suit of part 7 absolutely is the character development which is why some of the more cheap shots stick out and annoy me (see, like half the poo poo related to lucy)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The only real problem with Hot Pant's death was that I didn't realize she had died. From what I remember her last panel is getting thrown off the train but you know this series, she could be right as rain in a few minutes. Dio had a similar problem where his last panel was him as just a torso but since this is Jojo I wasn't expecting that as his last actual scene.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Momomo posted:

The only real problem with Hot Pant's death was that I didn't realize she had died. From what I remember her last panel is getting thrown off the train but you know this series, she could be right as rain in a few minutes. Dio had a similar problem where his last panel was him as just a torso but since this is Jojo I wasn't expecting that as his last actual scene.
I had a similar issue. Somehow it just went right over my head that Hot Pants and Diego were dead. After rereading the part at a later date I can't fathom how I overlooked it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

This seems to be the last time Hot Pants shows up in the present, and the page immediately after it. Even looking at it now I don't really get the sense that she died here, it really just looks like there's a page missing with a reaction shot, she didn't even hit the ground. Like, knowing what I do now, I guess it's a death? But they're usually more obvious in this series.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Johnny Joestar posted:

a strong suit of part 7 absolutely is the character development which is why some of the more cheap shots stick out and annoy me (see, like half the poo poo related to lucy)

Lucy is weird because I totally get where Araki was going with the poo poo she goes through, thematically, but at the same time it's just a little beyond his ability.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i haven't read SBR in ages (it was the first complete jojo part i read) but for the life of me i can't even remember if Hot Pants's death accomplished anything or if it was just a 'well. see ya'

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I finished it a few months ago and uh... not really? Stephen Steel ends up giving Johnny Cream Starter iirc after he defeats Valentine I WAS WRONG, VALENTINE BRINGS IN HIS UNIVERSE'S CREAM STARTER TO GIVE TO JOHNNY TO FIX HIS HORSE and that's the end of it. If they discuss Hot Pants being dead outside of that it's totally thrown-out and incidental.

Arist fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 26, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
thank you valentine for saving Slow Dancer

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I didn't register until Lucy pitched the head at DIEGO that Hot Pants had to have been dead.

Expect My Mom posted:

thank you valentine for saving Slow Dancer

Truly, his Actions Are Unclouded.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
New trailer for the JoJo game makes it look... Not bad????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMt7a9kuPjM

Re: Soundman, I think he definitely is set up properly, but I think people feel like he gets little payoff because he has a somewhat minor role in the overarching plot. He doesn't have much to do with the central plot like Hot Pants, Diego, Mountain Tim, or Wekapipo all do. His story also doesn't directly mirror or contrast with Johnny's story or character arc. He helps Johnny reach Act 2, then he kinda vanishes. His impact on the story isn't much more than that of the other villains of the week that force Johnny to go through emotional growth, but he gets much more build-up, so it feels a bit weird. But maybe I just haven't reread it recently enough.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 26, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shame really that they're not going all in with the full anime roster but it makes sense that they'd focus on the anime.

Merch news

Medicos WonFes catalogue list copied from /toy/

Swarovsku Bruno is the earlybird lotto
Swarovski Sticky Fingers is the purchase lotto

SAS Jojo releases list: Brackets are the colourways for them.

Prosciutto
Johnny Joestar 2nd (Almost all blue bodied, White and Blue is available now)
Diego Brando 2nd (First is green and white so this could be blue and yellow jumper. Not confirmed.)
Funny Valentine 2nd (I believe this one is the predominately white colouration. Mostly pink is out.)
D4C Second

Other SAS releases mentioned:
Summer Wars: King Kazuma and Love Machine
Fist of the North Star: Kenshiro and Raoh

SAS BIG: Dio

SAS Releases:
Part 2 - Joseph, Caesar, Wham, Cars, (No ACDC)
Part 5 - All the Gangstars and their stands, no mention of Trish, Diavolo or Pol

No Statue Legends mentioned

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 26, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Interested in that new Johnny, might either go with the new blue or the old white/blue. I wish I could find Pink Killer Queen anywhere for cheaper

also that JoJo battle royale game looks better than you might think given the premise and using Stands in a big environment might be fun, but the image of Mista just shooting Bruno in the back ruins me, he seems OP for this sort of thing

e: next week is baby face and that sucks, but we do get mista having to kill a guy because he forgot to watch the ceiling of the turtle and sex pistols steals a burger off the truck driver they're hiding from

so thats fun

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 26, 2019

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
What was the deal with the spiders and Hot Pants? I don't really remember that part of her death.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 26, 2019

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

quote:

next week is baby face and that sucks
Eh? Babyface is a pretty good fight. Plus it's where Giorno learns how to heal people...probably the one new ability that he actually uses more than once...yeah....gotta love Gold Experience.

Edit: nvm, read the other thread and forgot about that aspect...hopefully they don't dwell on it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

even beyond the heavily implied sexual assault i just think it's a dumb stand with too much going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I can't even remember what baby face can even do, just that its a magic computer rape baby and somehow inspires Gio to use his stand for healing. Something about falling apart?