Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

drrockso20 posted:

I actually like the military stuff fine, as it helps establish how big a threat the Decepticons are initially

It's not necessarily bad in and of itself (hell the hacker woman is the only major female character in the series Bay doesn't leer at through the camera in every scene other than Sam's mother), it's just pointless and goes nowhere. It's a leaner, tighter film without it. Keep Blackout attacking the base at the beginning but everything else is just filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the Blackout attack on the military base was super good

shame about the rest of it

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I would salvage the 10 minutes of robots fighting, scrap the rest, and film around 80 minutes that most composed of robots either fighting or talking about why they fight

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It appears that the Sam figurine is actually with Jazz instead of Megatron.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

GD_American posted:

I would salvage the 10 minutes of robots fighting, scrap the rest, and film around 80 minutes that most composed of robots either fighting or talking about why they fight

90 minutes of that 20 second sequence of starscream dogfighting the other f22's and I'll pay to see it, it wouldn't take much.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

have picked up siege sideswipe, optimus, and megatron, and happy about all of them - i'm actually having a hard time thinking of the last time we had a prime and megatron this good at the voyager scale?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Crusader posted:

have picked up siege sideswipe, optimus, and megatron, and happy about all of them - i'm actually having a hard time thinking of the last time we had a prime and megatron this good at the voyager scale?

Never. We've never had ones this good, at least not simultaneously and in the same style. Literally unprescedented, somehow.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

New Thew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKZkZVghX5k

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Siege Prime is especially super good, but am I wrong for hoping there's a repaint without the grime/rust aesthetic?

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 26, 2019

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

No, lots of people are hoping they do a giftset or vs box that presents them with a different no grimey deco.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Iron Factory have missed a trick by not including this head.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Megatron, is that you?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

TheDK posted:

Megatron, is that you?

Here's a hint!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Smyths in the UK has the Siege Deluxes and Voyagers on their site now, to aid with searching for them. Search 'War for Cybertron' rather than Siege.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

I know that's Alex Milne on art, but something about the art there made me exceptionally wary about him doing MtMtE full time, and this was before I'd started reading that book. I'm guessing he changed his inking style or colourist (I'm pretty sure that's neither Burcham or Lafuente) or something because there's just something off about that era of his work

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I know that's Alex Milne on art, but something about the art there made me exceptionally wary about him doing MtMtE full time, and this was before I'd started reading that book. I'm guessing he changed his inking style or colourist (I'm pretty sure that's neither Burcham or Lafuente) or something because there's just something off about that era of his work

That's from Megatron Origin, most of which he'd completed before IDW even had the rights if memory serves. It was a back burnered Dreamwave project that was repurposed into an IDW series.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Rhyno posted:

That's from Megatron Origin, most of which he'd completed before IDW even had the rights if memory serves. It was a back burnered Dreamwave project that was repurposed into an IDW series.

according to TFWiki, it wasn't even drawn during the DW days but my personal point of "I wasn't keen on Milne's art on an on-going based on that series" still stands, though I skipped the 'Drift' mini where he'd left behind that washed out style from Origin and moved to the much cleaner style he would use in MtMtE

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

according to TFWiki, it wasn't even drawn during the DW days but my personal point of "I wasn't keen on Milne's art on an on-going based on that series" still stands, though I skipped the 'Drift' mini where he'd left behind that washed out style from Origin and moved to the much cleaner style he would use in MtMtE

The wiki may state that but lots of people remember Milne showing off some of those pages at cons before IDW ever got the rights.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The_Doctor posted:

Is it weird that I actually like that idea, not necessarily on present day Megatron, but it feels fitting for him in his Gladiator days, like it's a style he wouldn't have chosen himself, but Rumble and Frenzy convinced him that it would look good on him

Which ties into one of my favorite things about Megatron Origin, that his earliest followers were Rumble and Frenzy, and it's a shame that as far as I know IDW never did more with that

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Is it weird that I actually like that idea, not necessarily on present day Megatron, but it feels fitting for him in his Gladiator days, like it's a style he wouldn't have chosen himself, but Rumble and Frenzy convinced him that it would look good on him

Which ties into one of my favorite things about Megatron Origin, that his earliest followers were Rumble and Frenzy, and it's a shame that as far as I know IDW never did more with that

I always liked that idea, in part because it reconciled his two G1 head designs in a compatible and original way. It's weird but hardly the most ridiculous thing we've ever seen on a TF.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

The_Doctor posted:

Smyths in the UK has the Siege Deluxes and Voyagers on their site now, to aid with searching for them. Search 'War for Cybertron' rather than Siege.

And they have Skytread listed as Flywheels... wonder how that happens?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It implies a lot of interesting things about Soundwave and their relationships, the way IDW fleshed out the Mini Bots into proper characters

Rewind I'm looking at you and Chromedome

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

There are IDW comics about Soundwave's relationship with the team loyal to him.

It's also kinda implied that he protected them from racist purging by a culture that hated beastformers.

Marmaduke! posted:

And they have Skytread listed as Flywheels... wonder how that happens?
That is actually his name, kinda, sorta.

There's some sort of weird thing in the TF channels where names that get or need replacing remain stuck. Titan wars is a good example, though I think that might be caused by the name being used as translated and not changed.

Also that Thew bot is like drat nice. I keep waffling on buying some of that line, but that one is really cool in a unique way.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The_Doctor posted:

In stores here now too. Only €19.99 for a Deluxe, which made Skytread an insta-buy for me. Now to await the Micromasters... Forever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

In stores here now too. Only €19.99 for a Deluxe, which made Skytread an insta-buy for me. Now to await the Micromasters... Forever.

Yeah, they're only £16.99 at Smyths UK which is a really good price, almost on par with the US.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Yea IDW Soundwave protected them because iirc they also helped him out a lot in his younger days due to his super hearing stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Good Listener posted:

Yea IDW Soundwave protected them because iirc they also helped him out a lot in his younger days due to his super hearing stuff.

Right. Ravage also had a super sense and helped him figure out how to filter out the background noise. So to speak.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I found a couple botbot packs, so I grabbed them to see how they were.

They're alright. not great, but okay. the material isn't particularly good, which led to needing needlenose pliers to pry out the limbs of three of them, and I will never transform the donut guy's face again, had to use an exacto knife to carefully prod it back into place because it's so tightly in there.

cute little things though. waddlepops is great.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I will never transform the donut guy's face again

At least you got to be the first and only person to ever say this phrase.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Super happy to see that the new Machine Robo is still going.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, they're only £16.99 at Smyths UK which is a really good price, almost on par with the US.

Really? I am certain I paid £19.99 for Hound, I would put money on it. Maybe I should dig out the receipt then go kick up a fuss over £3 query it at customer services after buying more toys if they have them

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I went to a Smyth's yesterday and they didn't anything but some soon collection :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Really? I am certain I paid £19.99 for Hound, I would put money on it. Maybe I should dig out the receipt then go kick up a fuss over £3 query it at customer services after buying more toys if they have them

Yeah, really.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lepecard posted:

Super happy to see that the new Machine Robo is still going.

Agreed, also it's kinda funny looking back at the 80s Machine Robo/Go-Bots toys and comparing them with the G1 Transformers toys, in many respects I'd give the edge to the former, though there are some areas that Transformers does do better in that era, especially when it comes to combiners and figures with non vehicle alt-modes, both of which were things that Machine Robo/Go-Bots often struggled with

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Machine Robo/Go-Bots is underrated, even the Go-bots cartoon isn't that bad for the era. A lot of the hate for it is just tribalism. BTW, did you know the series had a different name and intro song in Australia?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArAsVfsZ028

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd love to grab up those new MR bots but there's so many other things with higher priorities.

Daaku Shinsei
Feb 26, 2003

As small as Shockwave is, I loving love this dark purple color, and just his whole thing, armored up or not. He's a great toy. Now I just need to get Magnus. I have all of the wave but him.

Although, my shiny paint job CW Magnus is probably gonna beat this one, just cause oh his colors.

Daaku Shinsei fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 27, 2019

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Other posted:

Machine Robo/Go-Bots is underrated, even the Go-bots cartoon isn't that bad for the era. A lot of the hate for it is just tribalism. BTW, did you know the series had a different name and intro song in Australia?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArAsVfsZ028

That was very similar to the theme song from Go-Bots toy commercials in the U.S.:

"MIGHTY ROBOTS,
MIGHTY VE-HI-CLES!
GO-BOTS!"

And if you want to compare Go-Bots to Transformers, the most appropriate comparison would be to 1984-1986 Minicars, due to price point, size, and complexity. The '84-'86 Autobot cars in the $8-$12 price range would make Go-Bots look cheap and chintzy, but Go-Bots were generally much nicer-looking than the Minicars, with die-cast metal, better detailing on every level, and far more diverse alt-modes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just... Don't go into your display room shoeless. Just in case. Learn from John McClane's mistakes.