Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

lol just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is a Paradox games joke I presume? Though I half wonder if it has historical precedent. History is nuts. And also picturing it being the Irish throwing a huge kegger.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure half the balance feedback in the Europa Universalis series is sourced exclusively from ways people find to conquer the entire Ottoman Empire using only the sad remains of post-fall Byzantium.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Frog Act posted:

my understanding is that the EU funds a bunch of programs for dying industries directly and via trade things, plus common funds for services that are required by EU law for all member states to maintain (anti-discrimination, food safety, etc). is that at all accurate?

Yes. The EU has pumped a great deal of money into impoverished regions of the UK.

Some of these places overwhelmingly voted leave. I think it was somewhere in Cornwall (a county that has benefited enormously from EU funding) that just after voting leave asked whether they'd still be getting millions in assistance after brexit.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

alphabettitouretti posted:

Yes. The EU has pumped a great deal of money into impoverished regions of the UK.

Some of these places overwhelmingly voted leave. I think it was somewhere in Cornwall (a county that has benefited enormously from EU funding) that just after voting leave asked whether they'd still be getting millions in assistance after brexit.

this thread is having a beginning to have a very negative impact on my lifelong anglophilia

why can't the english speaking world process these yellow vest protests in any sane language? its because capitalism in the anglosphere is even more deranged than in continental europe somehow

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Mmm yes smart meters and 5G towers are definitely a concern.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Veteran Problem? They want to kill all veterans?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Frog Act posted:

why can't the english speaking world process these yellow vest protests in any sane language? its because capitalism in the anglosphere is even more deranged than in continental europe somehow

English people massively misunderstanding something the French are doing is really not very surprising

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Mmm yes smart meters and 5G towers are definitely a concern.

5G is a big concern in east Belfast judging by the graffiti

Makes a nice change from KAT I guess

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bryter posted:

5G is a big concern in east Belfast judging by the graffiti

Makes a nice change from KAT I guess

The UK version of the US fluoride weirdos?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

The UK version of the US fluoride weirdos?

Remember that this dumb poo poo is the result of the British iodine deficiency because they don't add it to their salt and food lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 16 days!)

Jose posted:

The hard brexiters don't want the backstop because they want a free trade deal with the US

lmao that they believe this because Trump said he'd give them "a very good deal"

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Saw this poster from the bus, might go check out the store tomorrow

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Heavy_D posted:

Saw this poster from the bus, might go check out the store tomorrow

can't wait for the english to coin a quaint, somewhat confusing name for cooked human flesh

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

lmao that they believe this because Trump said he'd give them "a very good deal"

Even pretending they believe something Trump said makes them the dumbest person in the room.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They know it'll be bad but they will make money off it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oliwan posted:

Remember that this dumb poo poo is the result of the British iodine deficiency because they don't add it to their salt and food lol

You know I'm starting to think Hakimashou might be right about something for once.

Jose posted:

They know it'll be bad but they will make money off it

The vast majority of leavers will make negative money off it.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Fallen Hamprince posted:

can't wait for the english to coin a quaint, somewhat confusing name for cooked human flesh

Gammon. We already did.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the "no deal is a trojan horse to privatize everything" theory significantly underestimates how disastrous no deal will be to almost every facet of the british economy and to the electoral fortunes of the party responsible, imo

e: also labour just decided that this guy isn't an anti-semite and can be let back into the party

Fallen Hamprince has issued a correction as of 00:29 on Jan 27, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fallen Hamprince posted:

the "no deal is a trojan horse to privatize everything" theory significantly underestimates how disastrous no deal will be to almost every facet of the british economy and to the electoral fortunes of the party responsible, imo

The immediate implications of no deal privatization is that British institutions will be sold off to the international bourgeois. It's not even British suits & lords who will profit from any of it, although a few surely will. It'll be a repeat of what happened to Greece on a global scale.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it will for them, it will allow them to privatise and sell off the NHS which of course they will profit from.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Fallen Hamprince posted:

It makes more sense if you differentiate between the political party responsible as its own entity and the people acting within that party. The long-term interests of the former do not need to align with the individual interests of the latter, if the latter just want to cash out. (Similar to how certain private equity firms can act when looking towards divestment of a company.)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fallen Hamprince posted:

the whole point is to collapse the price to buy it as quickly as possible. the lords of finance don't give a poo poo about how electable the tory party will be in the aftermath as they have until 2022 to feed

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Chemtrails lol

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Just fuckin' lol at the Brexit CHUDness of this.

Ireland is already reaping the benefits of Brexit, as it's soon to be the sole country within the EU where English is the native language spoken by the entire population and which also has a highly-educated skilled workforce attractive to American investors. Around Dublin they can't build new office blocks fast enough to accommodate the companies moving their European HQs from London to Europe.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The immediate implications of no deal privatization is that British institutions will be sold off to the international bourgeois. It's not even British suits & lords who will profit from any of it, although a few surely will. It'll be a repeat of what happened to Greece on a global scale.

The international bourgeois will therefore value British fixers very highly, there's no contradiction between the international bourgeois and local ultra nationalists sometimes appearing to be at odds whilst clearly both being money grabbing scumbags.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Brexit is already costing the UK’s public finances £17bn a year, according to a detailed study released ahead of critical votes in parliament this week.

The amount would be sufficient to pay 10,000 more police to patrol the streets and train nurses to fill every vacancy in England, and still leave enough to cover the UK’s current contribution to the EU’s budget.

The research from the Centre for European Reform estimates the UK economy is 2.3 per cent smaller than it would have been had Britain voted to remain in the EU back in 2016.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-a8746846.html

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

JFairfax posted:

Brexit is already costing the UK’s public finances £17bn a year, according to a detailed study released ahead of critical votes in parliament this week.

The amount would be sufficient to pay 10,000 more police to patrol the streets and train nurses to fill every vacancy in England, and still leave enough to cover the UK’s current contribution to the EU’s budget.

The research from the Centre for European Reform estimates the UK economy is 2.3 per cent smaller than it would have been had Britain voted to remain in the EU back in 2016.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-a8746846.html

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Brexit $3,600
Utility $150

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It'll be a repeat of what happened to Greece on a global scale.

how so on a global scale? won’t it really just be the UK that is eviscerated, for the most part?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Fallen Hamprince posted:

"Swifties"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fallen Hamprince posted:

they can just call it “fruit”, because there won’t be any confusion after exit

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Subjunctive posted:

how so on a global scale? won’t it really just be the UK that is eviscerated, for the most part?

I mean that Greece was primarily carved up by European creditors, while the UK will have the same done to it internationally.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I mean that Greece was primarily carved up by European creditors, while the UK will have the same done to it internationally.

ah, I didn’t know that. how reserved of global capital to give the Europeans first bite at the kill.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Subjunctive posted:

ah, I didn’t know that. how reserved of global capital to give the Europeans first bite at the kill.

It's because the EU finances member states primarily through development loans.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Check out this response from the piece of poo poo responsible for that article: https://www.quickloans.co.uk/quick-news/response-to-the-jail-for-debtors-article

My name is Graeme Wingate, and I'm the boss here at QuickLoans.co.uk. I'm going to write this to clear up some bits about the article. Nowhere in here will you find an apology. If that is what you have come for, you can take your "foster offence" and leave.

I've been in this business for around ten years. I've never had a single complaint against me or any of my businesses lodged against me with the FCA, FOS or OFT. I have never sold one PPI product. I don't need to justify myself to anyone over my record in this industry and won't any further.

Now to the article that was written. We limit our articles to around 300 words (our readers like reading brief, concise articles.) The article was never intended to be sensationalist, it was just a small article that was seen by the permanently offended, shared across social media, and somehow ended up with journalists, MPs and finally the High Priest of Virtue Signaling that is Martin Lewis.

[It continues in this manner for some time]

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Frog Act posted:

counterrevolutionary procapital forces trying to coopt a leftist movement because the working class trappings of yellow vests superficially lines up with the decades long advertising campaign associating everyman white van poo poo with conservatism. Of course it's schizophrenic

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Check out this response from the piece of poo poo responsible for that article: https://www.quickloans.co.uk/quick-news/response-to-the-jail-for-debtors-article

loving brits i swear to god

quote:

This is a massive concern for us given the nature of the next project we were going to launch in the UK. Avoid.com is going to be the world's first negative-only travel review website. It launches in March 2019 and was going to be based in the UK - a massive investment with hundreds of jobs.

We no longer have faith in the UK Quangos on the issue of free speech. For this reason, it will now be based in the States. I'll be out there in the next week to start laying the groundwork for it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/rolandmcs/statu...ingawful.com%2F

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

There will be adequate food riots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

i say swears online posted:

loving brits i swear to god

A website that extorts business owners for money to take down bad reviews is excellent diversification for a predatory lender.