Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Rand Brittain posted:

He’s the driver.

To the point that Carmen spends 80k (of Vile’s money) to buy Zack a muscle car from his favorite movie series. For all the thread’s misgivings of him, clearly Carmen values having him around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Zack and Ivy can come through in a pinch, and they are very clearly friends so I see why she keeps them around.

They're the comic relief, but they've come through whenever Carmen needed them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Senerio posted:

Zack and Ivy can come through in a pinch, and they are very clearly friends so I see why she keeps them around.

They're the comic relief, but they've come through whenever Carmen needed them.

I just sorta wish that they got a little more to round them out than we got this "Season." Obviously, if this is all there's gonna be, it's a nice little nugget that explores a lot about Carmen and gives her a new spin (any may or may not tie into Netflix's live action version). If it goes forward though, getting to know the other three members of Carmen's posse would be good. Like Zack is the Driver and the comic relief, but his vehicle skills aren't really emphasized strongly at least compared to Player's own hacking skills. Ivy? She has that drone, but idk what else she brings to the table. Presumably, she's the one who built Carmen's gear, but who knows?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I get the feeling that when it was just Zack and Ivy she filled in the same roles as Carmen does now. As it stands from what I can tell she's generally the backup, being able to cover for Zack or Carmen when they need an extra of either of their skill sets or a distraction or something, such as the Duke case providing a distraction so that Carmen and Zack could escape.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Xelkelvos posted:

I just sorta wish that they got a little more to round them out than we got this "Season." Obviously, if this is all there's gonna be, it's a nice little nugget that explores a lot about Carmen and gives her a new spin (any may or may not tie into Netflix's live action version). If it goes forward though, getting to know the other three members of Carmen's posse would be good. Like Zack is the Driver and the comic relief, but his vehicle skills aren't really emphasized strongly at least compared to Player's own hacking skills. Ivy? She has that drone, but idk what else she brings to the table. Presumably, she's the one who built Carmen's gear, but who knows?

It also feels like they're similar enough that it feels almost like the same character is getting twice as much screentime as they'd otherwise have. The only other criticism I have is that Paper Star's background music is cliche and repetitive, and her humming is annoying, though the "psychopath that doesn't work well with others and has origami powers" is cool and good. Other than that I thought it was great. I liked the continuous aspects of each episode and the season finale reveal

Edit: I liked the whole concept of Uluru being desecrated in order for VILE to win a rocket contract. After the opening two-parter, that and the Indonesia episode seemed like the best ones. I also liked the scene with the switching out of paintings on pressure sensors

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 26, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Ivy's role basically seems to be "common sense." She's reasonably competent at everything, and unlike Carmen, isn't obligated to wear a flashy outfit to advertise her presence.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Zack and Ivy needed some more character time but I can see if they were unsure about renewal that it would get cut. Hopefully we get more about them in season 2 to round them out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So El Topo and Le Chevre are totally boyfriends, right?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm so surprised at how good Rise of the TMNT is. Everything from the animation to the color palette to the framing of the shots to the dialogue is great. I had my doubts when I first saw the new designs and the whole magic weapons and magic pet dog, I thought they were going to be stupid edgey, but instead it's stupid stupid, which works really well. Even their new take on Splinter is growing on me. I never knew I wanted a Danny DeVito/Jackie Chan hybrid until it was presented to me. April's also a lot stronger of a character than she was in the last series, and I don't really miss Shredder.

I'm still not entirely sure how to describe Leo's dynamic, but I think he may be the Hot Rod to Raph's Ultra Magnus? I really love Raph as the leader though, he's just a big galoot full of love for his family.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even from the early episodes, I definitely get the impression that Raph is fully intended to be a poor choice for leader and in over his head, representing how the TMNT are starting off on a much lower level of skill and experience than they usually do. It's a pretty interesting way to shake up a franchise.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm so surprised at how good Rise of the TMNT is. Everything from the animation to the color palette to the framing of the shots to the dialogue is great. I had my doubts when I first saw the new designs and the whole magic weapons and magic pet dog, I thought they were going to be stupid edgey, but instead it's stupid stupid, which works really well. Even their new take on Splinter is growing on me. I never knew I wanted a Danny DeVito/Jackie Chan hybrid until it was presented to me. April's also a lot stronger of a character than she was in the last series, and I don't really miss Shredder.

I'm still not entirely sure how to describe Leo's dynamic, but I think he may be the Hot Rod to Raph's Ultra Magnus? I really love Raph as the leader though, he's just a big galoot full of love for his family.

I love Rise, the animation and humor are spot-on and the most recent episode had one of the best villain songs I've seen in a while.

Strong recommend, even for people who don't usually like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I also love this new interpretation of the foot.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Family Channel in Canada has confirmed it's showing nine(!) season 3 episodes of Miraculous in February, seven of which will be world premieres. Don't know what Zag's been dosing their animators with, but it seems to be very effective.

Edit: a Swiss TV station put out titles and spoilers for every S3 episode. As well as the two that have already aired, they are:

Title/Akuma
Animaestro/unknown; an animator, possibly modelled on Astruc himself from comments he's made
Bakerix/Marinette's grandfather
Backwarder/unknown; a friend of Master Fu's
Reflekdoll/Juleka + Mayura
Silencer/Luka
Onichan/Kagami
Miraculeur (maybe Miracle Worker in English?)/Sabrina
Oblivio/unknown; wipes memories
Desperada/unknown; a guitarist
Chris Master/Nino's brother (a Christmas episode)
Startrain/Max's mother (wasn't Startrain a Transformer? It might be Start Rain, Rainmaker? :iiam:)
Kwami Buster/Ms Mendeliev
Feast/unknown
Gamer 2.0/Max
Stormy Weather 2/Aurora
Ikami Gozen/Kagami's mother
Timetagger/unknown; a villain from the future
Partycrasher (or Spoilsport, depending on the translation)/Wayem
Puppeteer 2/presumably Manon
Cat Blanc/Cat Noir :stare:
Felix/Adrien's cousin + Alya, Rose and Juleka (Felix was the preproduction Cat Noir seen in the 2D demo reel, changed for being an "anime cliche")
Ladybug/Marinette gets expelled from school; the villain seems to be a monster created by Mayura from her despair rather than her being akumatised, which could tie in with the stuff about Mayura becoming more dangerous than Hawk Moth - hmm, supervillain conflict?
(Finale part 1) Loveater/Andre and Audrey Bourgeois (combined together into a two-headed monster :haw: )
(Finale part 2) Miracle Queen/Chloe

A lot of repeat offenders for this year, then - which I think now means Sabine (Marinette's mother) is the only recurring character who hasn't been akumatised! (Edit edit: oops, forgot about Alec the TV presenter and Alya's mother...)

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 3, 2019

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Are there any air dates yet?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Anyone look at that gen:lock show by rooster teeth? Seems to have a decent cast judging from the commercial.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Who's been watching Young Justice? (or is there a separate thread for that?)

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Is the third season airing yet? Or do you mean the stuff from CN?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Labes for days posted:

Is the third season airing yet? Or do you mean the stuff from CN?

The Third season is out, but it's only streaming on DC's own service (or you can find it via :filez:)

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
They spent all their budget on body mutilation.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaunab posted:

Anyone look at that gen:lock show by rooster teeth? Seems to have a decent cast judging from the commercial.

Yeah the voice cast is pretty nuts. Been watching it on VRV and I think it's pretty okay so far.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

McTimmy posted:

They spent all their budget on body mutilation.

One of the characters dying in relatively gruesome fashion every few episodes is a bit disconcerting.

I do appreciate them mixing up VAs for various characters that appeared in previous properties like Cyborg's VA in the show being Zeno Robinson instead of Khary Payton (who voices Aqualad, later Aquaman, Black Lightning, Cyborg's father and a player on Vic's football team).

They also spent their budget on this Doom Patrol/TTG parody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrYDJMjxAqY

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 5, 2019

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

Are there any air dates yet?
Family Channel (Canada) aired Chameleon yesterday, Weredad is tomorrow (the 6th), Chris Master on the 8th and Backwarder the 12th. The other five are spaced across the rest of Feb.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/DaronNefcy/status/1093550078311030785?s=19

Not really surprising, considering how many crew members have left to go to other shows over the past year. It'll be interesting to see how they end it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
To the surprise of literally no one, four of the nine new episodes of Miraculous scheduled to premiere in Canada this month have been delayed. :sigh: There's a new one tomorrow ('Backwarder'), and 'Stormy Weather 2' on the 14th if the original schedule stays in place.

Incidentally, 'Chris Master' (which aired a couple of days ago) was :stare: in the best kind of way.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Gaunab posted:

Austin Walker and the Waypoint Radio folk talked about it on a recent podcast and the praise was effusive. Takes a bit to get used to the animation, but it's mostly a character drama so it's easily overlooked.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Payndz posted:

To the surprise of literally no one, four of the nine new episodes of Miraculous scheduled to premiere in Canada this month have been delayed. :sigh: There's a new one tomorrow ('Backwarder'), and 'Stormy Weather 2' on the 14th if the original schedule stays in place.

Incidentally, 'Chris Master' (which aired a couple of days ago) was :stare: in the best kind of way.

Marinette is nowhere near Alya's level when it comes to lying to children.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So apparently the VRV channel VRV Select has Swat Kats, Freakazoid, Road Rovers, and a couple other shows that are basically available nowhere else right now for streaming, so that's an interesting thing to find out

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They also have NickSplat and Boomerang.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Shabadu posted:

Austin Walker and the Waypoint Radio folk talked about it on a recent podcast and the praise was effusive. Takes a bit to get used to the animation, but it's mostly a character drama so it's easily overlooked.

Austin Walker hates G Gundam so take what he says with a grain of salt.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I mean, G Gundam definitely has issues I could see outweighing the novelty of wuxia and ethnic stereotype robots for some people. Actually the latter may even be part of his issue, haven't actually read/heard his take.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

They also have NickSplat and Boomerang.
I should mention that Boomerang on VRV includes Courage the Cowardly Dog, Mystery Incorporated, and The Looney Tunes Show

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

Which ones have aired so far? Weredad and Chameleon (which I think should've been spelled Chamelyin)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Oracle posted:

Which ones have aired so far? Weredad and Chameleon (which I think should've been spelled Chamelyin)
Those two plus Chris Master, and Backwarder literally just aired. Things I never thought I'd see in the show:

• A straight-up swipe of the wonderful art design gimmick of the game The Saboteur
• Farts
Hawk Moth in the toilet

I wish they'd done a bit more with the time-reversing fuckery, because what they did had some good moments, but then with only 22 minutes to play with there wouldn't have been as much room for poor Marinette embarrassing herself and blowing the chance to tell Adrien her feelings yet again as she inevitably got the letters mixed up. And hey, an actual plot development!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
On the bright side, the next 4,198 Miraculous fanfics to be written will all involve constipation capsules in some way.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

delfin posted:

On the bright side, the next 4,198 Miraculous fanfics to be written will all involve constipation capsules in some way.

Would you really call that a "bright side" though?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Holy crap, no Shades of Gray (cough) about it, we have an all-time worst episode of Miraculous in 'Stormy Weather 2'.

It's a clip show. In TYOOL 2019, an actual "remember that time when..." clip show. :wtc:

Also Adrien is loving dense, and Plagg is a dick. :ughh:

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 15, 2019

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Kinda clever to get the one who wanted to be on tv to handle a clip show, but also lol and I guess that helped the turnover from S2 to S3 be as fast as it is.

Do they, like, cover the more plot-relevant stuff or just do whatever?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
They mainly recap Marinette and Adrien's relationship through the show, while conveniently omitting the big moment at the end of season 2 when she finally had the courage to kiss him (hence Adrian being a dumbass for forgetting its significance). The only interesting part was Natalie's VO on her flashbacks, which gave a bit more information about Adrien's mother.

They even cheaped out on the present-day Stormy Weather part, with a character literally describing the battle rather than showing any of it.

Edit: the 'best' thing? The entire theme of the story was that people "change and grow" over time... which was then ignored by resetting them to their 'Origins'/early season 1 personalities. Marinette stammers and is generally hopeless at the thought of Adrien (after showing flashbacks when she was more confident), Adrien is utterly oblivious that she likes him (after flashbacks when they got closer), Chloe is pointlessly cruel and selfish, etc.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Wife and I started watching Carmen Sandiego. It's cute, and I've really enjoyed it so far. I appreciated the nods to that goofy old 90s show as well.