Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Koalas March posted:

Bernie Sanders and Keith Ellison.

I actually unironically cosign this tbh, except I sadly don't think it will happen for a variety of reasons on Ellison's end (he's probably gonna run for Minnesota governor last I heard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

KillHour posted:

Looks like NY is on the edge of legalization. I'm sure Cuomo will find the dumbest way possible to gently caress it up (Like his proposed plan of allowing individual counties to opt out).

https://www.amny.com/news/marijuana-legalization-new-york-1.23933469

I also like how NYC politicians are already falling over themselves to earmark the state tax revenue for NYC-only things. This is why the rest of the state hates you.

Oh god the NYPD is going to be so mad about having to come up with something more creative than "I smelled pot" when they want to harass minorities.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Crabtree posted:

Find me a white straight male candidate that will sacrifice everything they have, their home, their job, their rich friends, their business; all before they run on the campaign of UBI, True Equal Rights, 220+% tax on wealth over 4 million, Green New Deal, 90%Tax on oil, gas and coal use, prosecution of the Trump Administration/FBI/CIA/Border Security/ICE et all, Free College Training and Public Works programs to build resumes and education for Americans and I'll think about them being better than some shallow Republican lite suit.

Is any announced candidate running on that?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Barbara Lee has my vote soley for neing the only person to vote against the Forever War. Lol all her Dem buddies begged her to reconsider her vote, telling her that it was political suicide and yet she is still there.

During the memorial service she quoted Isaiah "Let us not become that which we abhore". Woman is a goddamn legend.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I actually unironically cosign this tbh, except I sadly don't think it will happen for a variety of reasons on Ellison's end (he's probably gonna run for Minnesota governor last I heard).

Bernie/Barbara would be good too tho

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Koalas March posted:

This is strange to me just because I still see the vice president as such a crap job. I'd much rather have Ellison in a leadership position in congress.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Koalas March posted:

Bernie/Barbara would be good too tho

I am opposed to this purely because if Bernie is president, Barbara Lee should be Speaker of the House. But if they decide internally there's no way that's gonna happen then this would also own.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
The Dems should put up something huge for Trump to get $5 billion for his wall. $15 national minimum wage, m4a, voting reform, etc. Trump would do anything to get money for the wall.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I am opposed to this purely because if Bernie is president, Barbara Lee should be Speaker of the House. But if they decide internally there's no way that's gonna happen then this would also own.

Ooooh I do love that as well.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Koalas March posted:

Edit not basing this on who could win, just who I'd like to vote for.

Agreed.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
I think the Dems should definitely be bolder that just saying “no” right now

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Making the VP candidate a woman is a good move, imo, if only because it would make Mike Pence incredibly uncomfortable in the debate.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Crabtree posted:

Find me a white straight male candidate that will sacrifice everything they have, their home, their job, their rich friends, their business; all before they run on the campaign of UBI, True Equal Rights, 220+% tax on wealth over 4 million, Green New Deal, 90%Tax on oil, gas and coal use, prosecution of the Trump Administration/FBI/CIA/Border Security/ICE et all, Free College Training and Public Works programs to build resumes and education for Americans and I'll think about them being better than some shallow Republican lite suit.

:hmmyes:

You USpol nerds have moved me significantly to left. Take pride in that, as little triumph as it is. I'm not about to change my party affiliation, but I've learned quite a bit, and you are changing minds.

E- Not everyone who reads these forums posts here. -I'm just the obnoxious poo poo who does.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 26, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Spacebump posted:

Is any announced candidate running on that?

Kind of makes them all look a little poo poo, don't it?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tibalt posted:

So what do you think Trump is going to offer for his wall?

It would cause actual stress and division in the Democratic caucus if he made a good offer. Like, Pelosi would probably accept $5 billion for the DREAM act, but I don't think she could get her caucus to back it.

Edit: but I don't think he'll make that offer.

He's going to claim to offer something like a pathway to citizenship but it will have Steven Miller drafting it so it will actually end up being impossible to get and will flop with everyone because he'll have Kushner trying to sell Congress on it.

For me anything short of "all dreamers get full citizenship, effective immediately. Trump gets $50 to put a plaque on an already built fence section of his choice" is a nonstarter.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 26, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Crow Jane posted:

Making the VP candidate a woman is a good move, imo, if only because it would make Mike Pence incredibly uncomfortable in the debate.

lol imagine if the VP candidate was Stacy Abrams and it was a female moderator.

I want Bernie/Abrams now purely for this.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
Dems should be asking for m4a, voting rights, $15 min wage for $5b for Trumps wall right now to press the advantage. We know how bad he wants it now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crabtree posted:

I would vote for a shallow Republican lite suit over literally Donald Trump. I would probably vote for a bunch of drunk sixth graders who answer every question with a Ouija board or Xom from DC:SS over literally Donald Trump because he's freaking Donald Trump.

Note: I am not defending Kotex, who is and was a shithead way before this.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Not gonna lie this is about half the reason I'd want an openly queer person as VP candidate

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tuff Ghost posted:

Dems should be asking for m4a, voting rights, $15 min wage for $5b for Trumps wall right now to press the advantage. We know how bad he wants it now.

I don't think I'd be willing to trade the wall for these things but I agree in the abstract that this should be the negotiation floor.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tuff Ghost posted:

I think the Dems should definitely be bolder that just saying “no” right now
DaCA/TPS Citizenship, maybe adjust the refugee numbers, for a start. Drafted by Dems.

They can commit 2bills to 'border security' to staff up on all ports of entry and the rest to clear immigration caseloads by hiring judges.

Realistically I think it would have to be something that cant get hosed over by the white supremacists/riche in his cabal.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 26, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Trump caved. Keep changing the offer. Add more things to it, demand more and never sign it. Make him suffer.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lightning Knight posted:

lol imagine if the VP candidate was Stacy Abrams and it was a female moderator.

I want Bernie/Abrams now purely for this.

I didn't even consider this but it would loving rule

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
You know, as a white guy I sometimes feel hurt by all the mistrust and the bad rep we get because I try to live my life mindful of my privilege and act in a way that helps everyone around me, then I think for half a second and realize that that discomfort I feel is not 1/100th of what women and people of color face pretty much every day.

I get the instinct to jump to the defense of white people, because sometimes I feel it when it’s pointed out that a black person can’t trust us. But then I stop myself and think that white people don’t need defended even if the generalizations made about them don’t apply to every single white person. Keeping my mouth shut and feeling what it’s like to be mistrusted and stereotyped is one of the things I can do to resist my own privilege.

I hope a day is coming when white people, and especially white men can be trusted again but I agree that it’s not today. Anyway, I hope I didn’t stick my foot in my mouth.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
troll option, give him the wall if he hand delivers his real taxes himself, then has to sit while some CPA goes through them on live air.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crow Jane posted:

Anything to make that horse fucker squirm.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004

Crabtree posted:

Trump caved. Keep changing the offer. Add more things to it, demand more and never sign it. Make him suffer.

I think they should offer something extreme right now and hope Trumps goes with it to dig himself out. They set the bargaining position at this point. But the Dems should get something concrete out of this. Other wise the GOP can claim Dems are being obstructionist with no real governing done.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Monday: $30 minimum wage or no wall
Tuesday: Previous Demand as well as Sign a bill that renders SNAAP guaranteed funding no matter what.
Wednesday: These things along with a bill that demands senators don't get payed during a shutdown and perm citizenship of Dreamers.
etc.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Super-Id posted:

You know, as a white guy I sometimes feel hurt by all the mistrust and the bad rep we get because I try to live my life mindful of my privilege and act in a way that helps everyone around me, then I think for half a second and realize that that discomfort I feel is not 1/100th of what women and people of color face pretty much every day.

I get the instinct to jump to the defense of white people, because sometimes I feel it when it’s pointed out that a black person can’t trust us. But then I stop myself and think that white people don’t need defended even if the generalizations made about them don’t apply to every single white person. Keeping my mouth shut and feeling what it’s like to be mistrusted and stereotyped is one of the things I can do to resist my own privilege.

I hope a day is coming when white people, and especially white men can be trusted again but I agree that it’s not today. Anyway, I hope I didn’t stick my foot in my mouth.

The fact that you had to post this apropos of nothing is the exact reason people say white males are fragile. Not giving you poo poo for it, just trying to point it out.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Musing in the Trump thread on a Saturday:

What if I was a teen now, being the poo poo head teen I was back then, would I be a MAGA chud? The thought gives me shivers, but I was a teen during the Clinton administration and was fed a steady diet of Catholic school and the Washington Times. Good lord.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Float a deal about federal funding for abortions in exchange for the wall in private with him, then wait for the fireworks when he suggests it as his own brilliant idea publicly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I bet he'd back M4A if you told him it would get him the wall AND it would replace Obamacare.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
They should push some big climate bills right now, it’s popular with most voters.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

The fact that you had to post this apropos of nothing is the exact reason people say white males are fragile. Not giving you poo poo for it, just trying to point it out.

Fair. When you hold all the power you are never on the defense. What’s left is something that can’t handle being challenged.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNN/status/1089217667385438210

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

The Super-Id posted:

"Why don't you guys thank me for how woke I am." It doesn't work that way. You shouldn't get praise for doing the right thing, it should be the default. If people mistrust you for being a white dude, make your actions speak louder than your words or posts on dead forums.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

The Super-Id posted:

Fair. When you hold all the power you are never on the defense. What’s left is something that can’t handle being challenged.

A realy good question.Or statement, I don't know where you were going with that.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

He suuuuucccckkkks

Better than Trump, though, I guess. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/25/6888...ontent=20190125

quote:

Puppy With Upward-Facing Paws Recovering After 'Complicated' Surgery