Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I can't see this making any sense unless the manager is a thundering moron or the guy was attempting to conceal the bomb parts as he put them together, which it doesn't sound like he was. It sounds like he was openly building a bomb and nobody thought it looked suspicious enough to call the cops.

What does "openly building a bomb" look like? All you need to do is splice a couple wires and put your phone/stopwatch next to some explosives. It looks like any other "guy poking a circuit", and 99% of people with actual intent to bomb would do that part at home. It's a nonsense threat model, and it doesn't prove that people are too lax since false alerts have their own cost too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

What is the point behind his point though? I'd assume people don't build bombs in public, they'd do it somewhere private. Is people building bombs in restaurants a big problem?

E: Missed the new page but yeah, I'd love to know why he thought this was worth doing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why would anyone build a bomb in public when private spaces and opaque bags exist?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Here’s a more detailed article about the office bee lady.

I want office bees now, except I work at home :(:

Go for it yourself!

https://healthywithhoney.com/sleeping-above-beehives-another-way-of-treating-ourselves-with-bees-help/

I should add as a bee keeper, DO NOT DO THIS, bees are great but they are not your friends.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Dylan16807 posted:

What does "openly building a bomb" look like? All you need to do is splice a couple wires and put your phone/stopwatch next to some explosives. It looks like any other "guy poking a circuit", and 99% of people with actual intent to bomb would do that part at home. It's a nonsense threat model, and it doesn't prove that people are too lax since false alerts have their own cost too.

It's not a false alert if it's a real bomb rollsafe.jpg

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

jobson groeth posted:

It's not a false alert if it's a real bomb rollsafe.jpg

It was a real bomb but he wasn't a real bomber. The point is that this idiot is the only person to ever do it this way and even he wasn't planning to kill anybody, so there's no reason to calibrate the proper emergency response to him.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Coq au Nandos posted:

This Newsweek article from a few years ago goes pretty deep on just how badly various parts of the Bible have been mistranslated over time. It’s not perfect, and it’s long as hell, but it’s an interesting and well-researched read.

Tl;dr:
This was a good article I enjoyed it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I can't see this making any sense unless the manager is a thundering moron or the guy was attempting to conceal the bomb parts as he put them together, which it doesn't sound like he was. It sounds like he was openly building a bomb and nobody thought it looked suspicious enough to call the cops.

If anything, it's a lesson about what a person can get away with in the moment if they just act like what they're doing is normal.

If I were eating at the restaurant, I would have assumed that either they were doing work for the restaurant on some device or appliance, and if I worked at the restaurant, why bother a customer who is keeping to themselves. People do all kinds of poo poo in restaurants, and someone quietly working on an electronics project is gonna be pretty far down the list of crazy things that go on.

It's the same psychological reaction that causes places like Best Buy or Sam's Club to have LP at the exits checking receipts, because it was too easy for someone to just walk in, grab something expensive, and just stroll out without anyone saying anything to them.

Hell, when I was in college, I did service on campus AV equipment and it wasn't unusual for me or a coworker to go into a random room and unhook expensive equipment and haul it away and in all the years I worked there, not only did I not get challenged, none of my coworkers did either.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Azathoth posted:

If anything, it's a lesson about what a person can get away with in the moment if they just act like what they're doing is normal.

If I were eating at the restaurant, I would have assumed that either they were doing work for the restaurant on some device or appliance, and if I worked at the restaurant, why bother a customer who is keeping to themselves. People do all kinds of poo poo in restaurants, and someone quietly working on an electronics project is gonna be pretty far down the list of crazy things that go on.

It's the same psychological reaction that causes places like Best Buy or Sam's Club to have LP at the exits checking receipts, because it was too easy for someone to just walk in, grab something expensive, and just stroll out without anyone saying anything to them.

Hell, when I was in college, I did service on campus AV equipment and it wasn't unusual for me or a coworker to go into a random room and unhook expensive equipment and haul it away and in all the years I worked there, not only did I not get challenged, none of my coworkers did either.

There's a ton of awesome "Bavarian Fire Drill" stories. I know TV Tropes sucks, but the Real Life tab on their page for it is a good repository of them.

One easy place in my experience is backstage at Disney and Universal theme parks (and presumably just about any other). While you're technically supposed to have an ID badge, in practice they're only ever used when they need to be scanned for something and just about everyone shoves them in their pockets or on a lanyard. With how many people are rushing around to get to their shifts, anyone of any age running in and out of the backstage areas with a backpack like they're late for something is just considered normal regardless of whether they have their badge visible. The only place it won't work is an area where everyone knows everyone else, like inside one of the ride buildings.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
This is also pretty much the idea behind physical penetration testing. The system may be secure from hacking but that won't help if your staff are idiots and just let someone walk in to access the server box.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Where I work, on a couple of occasions, we've had someone steal all of our 5 Hour Energy right off the shelf, by coming in, grabbing a basket, dumping the whole shelf, going into the bathroom, and then putting the stuff into his own bag, whether it's a store bag or a personal canvas bag, and walking out right past us. They'll come back from by the pharmacy, and since they can check out back there, we don't think anything of it. Even if they come from the direction of the bathroom, it's not unusual, because maybe they had to hit the can before they go, or took a minute to check out something else before leaving.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Wareham officials ask residents to stop trying to feed seals peanut butter and jelly sandwiches

https://www.boston.com/news/animals/2019/01/22/wareham-seal-peanut-butter-and-jelly-sandwiches

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Intoluene posted:

This is also pretty much the idea behind physical penetration testing. The system may be secure from hacking but that won't help if your staff are idiots and just let someone walk in to access the server box.

“If I can touch it, it’s mine.”

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Double Punctuation posted:

“If I can touch it, it’s mine.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7RroGFe6k

Full of quotes.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
oh no

https://twitter.com/PeterWelch/status/1087829080316301313

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

lol, of course he's from the whitest state in the country.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

lol, of course he's from the whitest state in the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKcUOUYzDXA

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Wow, that was loving terrible.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Woman Suspected of Driving Under Influence of Vanilla Extract: Police

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Woman-Suspected-of-Driving-Under-Influence-of-Vanilla-Extract-Police-504862021.html

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

That is an insanely expensive way to get drunk

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

What's the CBA on vanilla extract vs. cooking sherry?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Volcott posted:

What's the CBA on vanilla extract vs. cooking sherry?

The sherry is a lot cheaper and probably tastes better in quantity.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

chitoryu12 posted:

The sherry is a lot cheaper and probably tastes better in quantity.

lol 'probably'

You're among friends now, you can share with us

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Anti-vaccine advocates appointed to Minnesota autism council after measles outbreak

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Spider bites Australian man on penis again

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

There's also a TB outbreak happening at a southern Minnesota university, so uh...good luck everybody

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Unless it's consensual, :sever:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There is a genus of spiders (phoneutria), members of which give victims erections.

They live in Central and South America.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's like they say: twice bitten, a shameful arachnophile.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

By popular demand posted:

It's like they say: twice bitten, a shameful arachnophile.

Please no one post that one spider anime girl.

Or the other one. Or the other one. Or the other one.

Stop loving spiders!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Standoff Ends Between Unmanned Cruise Ship And Railroad Bridge

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yay, we made the weird news! This was a wild thing to wake up to, some ice floe taking up a whole bunch of badly-moored barges and watercraft and just dragging them down the Hudson. Apparently this added quite a twist to the already cramped morning commute (I now walk to work, thankfully).

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Why don't they just lower the water?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Petit Gregory posted:

Why don't they just lower the water?

That'd expose all the bodies.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Platystemon posted:

There is a genus of spiders (phoneutria), members of which give victims erections.

They live in Central and South America.

Aren’t the resulting erections also very, very painful?

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Nottherealaborn posted:

Aren’t the resulting erections also very, very painful?

Not for me

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hosed up that evolution would create super sexy spiders

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Oglaf takes place in South America then

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Burkion posted:

Stop loving spiders!

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
CDC warns Americans not to kiss their hedgehogs

If you're going to gently caress spiders, fine, but please at least stop trying to kiss Sonic.