Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

For a super bowl thing, I would do a dessert in individual portions that's an elevated comfort food, not super classy. Something like salted brown butter Rice Krispie treats or Mexican chocolate brownies. Ymmv, you know the vibe of the crowd/party better

Brownies are a great idea. They’re single serving, relatively clean to eat, and you can make many different/interesting flavors easily by splitting your batch into 8x8 pans.

Cookies work on the same philosophy, but you have to commit to one or two flavors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

For a super bowl thing, I would do a dessert in individual portions that's an elevated comfort food, not super classy. Something like salted brown butter Rice Krispie treats or Mexican chocolate brownies. Ymmv, you know the vibe of the crowd/party better

cheese cake muffins

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

LongSack posted:

Also looking for dessert ideas. My go to summer dessert is a mixed berry trifle, but that seems off in January (plus I’m not sure about the quality of fresh berries in January).

Ideas?

I had an amazing apple and cranberry pie recently, very much a fall/winter seasonal pie. Florida Citrus is also well in season, I've made a killer grapefruit custard pie, easy peasy graham cracker crust, you can top it with and supremed mandarins and slivered pecans.
-
edit: poo poo, it was SALTINE crust, now I remember. Still good. https://cookingbythebook.com/dessert-digest/grapefruit-custard-pie-saltine-crust-sweet-tart/ . It was my first experience with custard and making my own pie crusts, and I gotta say, I aced it. So, obviosly, it's not that hard. I think I posted about it a few years ago too. It was what gave me the confidence to enter the Battle Pie NISCA.
-
Ooh, piggybacking off of the individual portions idea, CUSTARD SHOTS. Just drop some grapefruit custard in a shotglass/tiny serving container, top with whip cream and a supremed citrus and graham cracker crumbles.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 24, 2019

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Thanks, good ideas all.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Scientastic posted:

I got given a waffle-maker for Christmas, and it is great. I am using the recipe below for my waffles and it is really excellent.

250g plain (AP) flour
2 tbsp sugar
2.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
350ml milk
80g melted butter
2 large eggs

My question is this: is there any reason to use AP flour and add baking powder instead of just self-raising flour?
Thank you for posting this, I am going to have to give it a try... my wife bought me a waffle iron before we got married and its been sitting around gathering dust because the recipe that came with it is total garbage.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Wether I'm making them from scratch, or a mix, I never put eggs in waffles anymore. They just make them taste ... Unnecessarily eggy?
Do you have an eggless recipe that you recommend?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The King Arthur yeast waffle recipe is good and easy and best made the night before.
This one? We may have some house guests staying a few days next month so being able to prep something like this ahead of time would be perfect.

Suspect Bucket posted:

grapefruit custard pie
:frogon:

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Any thoughts on what to do with leftover steak (NY strip, cooked sous vide and finished on the cast iron, it was lovely when fresh)? I'm looking for something besides:

- steak salad
- steak sandwich

Those are literally the only two options the internet coughs up when I ask. Sure, there are variations (Thai steak salad! Vietnamese-inspired steak sandwiches! steak quesadillas!) but they're all basically the same.

I'm happy to eat it as-is, as I don't mind reheated steak texture (I'm also poor and making the best of having steak), which is what I did with the other 8oz. I would love something more creative to do with the next one. Curry? Soup? Chicken salad but with steak in? Fried rice? Pasta?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Chop up some potatoes and onions and have steak hash for breakfast with a couple of fried eggs with runny yolks?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

DasNeonLicht posted:

Chop up some potatoes and onions and have steak hash for breakfast with a couple of fried eggs with runny yolks?

I LOVE YOU

doing this, but with corn too 'cause I have some of that leftover too

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
I think it's generally going to be a waste to put leftover steak into soup if it's a cut that's not super thin, but just about any leftover meat you'd be willing to dig into with a fork and knife will spruce up a pizza.

Fritata or an omlete are other options, as is turning it into fajitas.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This one? We may have some house guests staying a few days next month so being able to prep something like this ahead of time would be perfect.

:frogon:

That's the one. Good stuff.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Thursday Next posted:

I LOVE YOU

If you're like me, and like to follow or are too insecure to cook without a recipe, there are some pretty good ones online if you search "steak hash"

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Roast Poblano peppers dish that isn't chile relleno?

I'm in the mood for roasted/charred Poblanos as a side dish to a Mexican meal. I don't want to make anything as hearty as cheese-stuffed/egg-washed/fried chile relleno. Other ideas?

Could I stuff the chiles with diced veggies and skip the egg dip? Could I slice and toss them with something to make a pseudo-salad?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Thursday Next posted:

I LOVE YOU

If it's not too late I'd like to day sweet potato hash over normal potato any day.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Bollock Monkey posted:

If it's not too late I'd like to day sweet potato hash over normal potato any day.

On a different but related subject I had sweet potatoes with poke yesterday, it was great.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Chop it up into small cubes and make steak quesadilla while drunk.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Bagheera posted:

Roast Poblano peppers dish that isn't chile relleno?

I'm in the mood for roasted/charred Poblanos as a side dish to a Mexican meal. I don't want to make anything as hearty as cheese-stuffed/egg-washed/fried chile relleno. Other ideas?

Could I stuff the chiles with diced veggies and skip the egg dip? Could I slice and toss them with something to make a pseudo-salad?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Hash

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

But fair.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So I made some quick pickles if I killed the whole jar in a day or 2 could I just make more with the same brine?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

sterster posted:

So I made some quick pickles if I killed the whole jar in a day or 2 could I just make more with the same brine?

Yeah

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’ve been given a fancy bottle of vodka for my birthday. Other than to just drink it as cold as possible, is there anything I should bear in mind?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I’ve been given a fancy bottle of vodka for my birthday. Other than to just drink it as cold as possible, is there anything I should bear in mind?

Have them with gherkins like the Slavs do

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Drink the vodka, eat pickled herrings with onions. Regret nothing.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Scientastic posted:

What kind of fancy vodka?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
So this recipe for Indian mango pickles (Aam ka Achar) says to leave them out in the sun for 4-5 days.... do you think it's too cold (about 0C/30F where I live) and also will that make me sick?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Power of Pecota posted:

What kind of fancy vodka?

This one:
https://cellarandkitchen.adnams.co.uk/catalog/product/spirits-1-vodka/adnams-rye-hill-vodka-70cl-42-abv

Possibly fancy was not the right word, but it’s certainly better than the usual supermarket own brand I normally have in the flat

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

sterster posted:

Tomorrow I'm making Beef Wellington because I'm too poor to go out and eat it. Any suggestions or gotchas I should look out for?

Make sure to cook your duxelles long enough to remove as much moisture as possible. I did not and the moisture made the pastry soggy.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Scientastic posted:

This one:
https://cellarandkitchen.adnams.co.uk/catalog/product/spirits-1-vodka/adnams-rye-hill-vodka-70cl-42-abv

Possibly fancy was not the right word, but it’s certainly better than the usual supermarket own brand I normally have in the flat

It's made from rye, so you should have a little bit of spice, like a white pepper. Likely to be really lovely paired with oysters and caviar. Pickles is also great. I also enjoy small slices of a really sharp cheddar, but ymmv.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Scientastic posted:

This one:

My FIL is obsessed with vodka negronis, could throw it at that.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

vodka negronis

but, why

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Nephzinho posted:

My FIL is obsessed with vodka negronis, could throw it at that.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I love negronis and I think it’d be a waste of the vodka to make a drink I know I will enjoy less than if I used gin

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How do you remove cabbage leaves without tearing them? I had an idea where I'd stuff cabbage leaves and briefly grill them on a hot skillet. Like lettuce wraps, but you get a little of that nice blistery, charred cabbage and it's a little warm. It worked ok, but I only managed to remove one cabbage leaf without tearing it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
cut the cabbage head into wedges

http://www.meatwave.com/blog/grilled-cabbage-with-ginger-miso-dressing-recipe

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do you have an eggless recipe that you recommend?

Just substitute 2 TBL of neutral oil for each egg (a more typical sub for an egg is 1 T oil and 1 T water, but gently caress it, waffles like oil).
After it rests, you may need to adjust thickness with a little water or flour, optimum batter thickness depends on the waffle iron you are using.

Afriscipio posted:

Make sure to cook your duxelles long enough to remove as much moisture as possible. I did not and the moisture made the pastry soggy.

Oh yeah, good one. Always cook the moisture out of your shrooms!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Hauki posted:

but, why

I dunno, I haven't ever tried one. I only keep vodka in the house for cooking and for when he is over. I pretty much only drink bourbon.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

BraveUlysses posted:

cut the cabbage head into wedges

this is my last resort

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Nephzinho posted:

I only keep vodka in the house for cooking

What does one cook with vodka? I have vague recollections of vodka sauce, but I always assumed that was a joke...

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Scientastic posted:

What does one cook with vodka? I have vague recollections of vodka sauce, but I always assumed that was a joke...

Pretty much just vodka sauce. I have been using the same bottle leftover from my wedding for a while and its going to last a while longer.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Pie crust is a big thing

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Eeyo posted:

How do you remove cabbage leaves without tearing them? I had an idea where I'd stuff cabbage leaves and briefly grill them on a hot skillet. Like lettuce wraps, but you get a little of that nice blistery, charred cabbage and it's a little warm. It worked ok, but I only managed to remove one cabbage leaf without tearing it.

Boil or steam them until soft enough to peel the leaves off without tearing. Even just tightly covering them and putting them in the microwave for a bit can work.

The lazy way is to use napa cabbage or some other loose leaf variety of cabbage. Even then you'll probably want to cook them a little bit just to soften up enough to fold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Eeyo posted:

I've seen Julia Child stick the whole head of cabbage in the freezer for a while to make a giant stuffed cabbage. I guess freezing the leaves breaks all the cell walls open so they lose their rigidity and just turn floppy when they thaw?