Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Same. I expect a pretty strong race between him and Harris. I really think it’ll come down to one of the two.

There's a viral twitter takedown thread on Harris making the rounds on progressive and black twitter and facebook. Like my local (about 60% black) Georgia progressive group went from substantially pro Harris to majority against Harris just over the course of today, and no actual candidate has actually attacked her yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
AOC should stay in the house and help build the progressive caucus to get more Omar's and Tlaib's in there.

Then we can abolish the lovely garbage rear end senate.

Also she's my rep and you can't have her.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Democrats will one day run on abolishing the electoral college, or the senate, but not both!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lock them in a room, only one leaves alive

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

LionArcher posted:

Trying to gaslight me, a white dude is going to work really well. Instead of responding to anything I addressed, you insult me instead of the fact he’s got a sexism issue. You’re response to attack me with a common tactic used by men who are sexist (usually used against women), isn’t really strengthening your argument, if you have one,

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eiba posted:

I don't know what Sanders has said that's as concrete and structurally important as that. Medicare for All is a great way to present a new healthcare system, but it's Democratic dogma now. That's great, but Warren seems like she's actually pushing for new ideas.

At least that's my perception. It doesn't seem to be accepted wisdom in leftist circles online so I'm wondering what I'm missing.

The biggest concerning things I've seen are that Warren has already made some statements sort of hedging on the issue of Medicare for All, in addition to not mentioning it much in her own campaigning. This makes me highly concerned that she would not fight very hard for it if elected, which is a big deal seeing as MfA is one of the more important issues this election.

She has also been pretty weak in terms of what she's said/advocated for regarding climate change, with (IIRC) just one sort of vague mention of supporting "the idea of a" Green New Deal.

That being said, Warren is the only non-Sanders candidate who I would be willing to vote for in my non-swing state. Her mention of a wealth tax boosted her significantly in my view from "neutral" to "somewhat positive."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm really surprised you hadn't heard about it. A lot of liberals 'support' women of colour right up until the very moment a woman of colour doesn't happily follow the neoliberal line, and then holy poo poo. AOC's been less affected by this mostly by having mad twitter game and not taking any of their bullshit, but it's going to get fun when she endorses Bernie.

The neoliberal strain of white grievance has rebuilt itself around appropriating the struggles of minority groups for its own, and making sure to silence minorities that don't go along with it or want actual action.

Yeah, I think a lot of people who aren't "plugged into" online left-wing dialogue aren't even aware that AOC is associated with the radical left.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 27, 2019

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

LionArcher posted:

And yet sanders is sexist, had huge issues with his campaign being sexist, took 50 mill from the DNC, dismisses Russia act of war.... and is old

LionArcher posted:

He is, Especially considering he tried to do the old white guy “it shouldn’t matter if the person is black white, male or female “ garbage guys always do when they’re arguing about running for office. We’ve had 45 male presidents, time for a woman ffs. A number of women on Twitter today talked about how they stumped for him and supported his campaign in 2016, and how the harassment was so bad during the campaign and after that they are a never Bernie person. He did a pathetic job answering for that, or trying to calm his Bernie Bro mob online down.

LionArcher posted:

Trying to gaslight me, a white dude is going to work really well. Instead of responding to anything I addressed, you insult me instead of the fact he’s got a sexism issue. You’re response to attack me with a common tactic used by men who are sexist (usually used against women), isn’t really strengthening your argument, if you have one,
https://twitter.com/IPM_HQ/status/1088962504334761984

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

[quote="420 Gank Mid" post="492034445"]
https://twitter.com/IPM_HQ/status/1088962504334761984

https://mobile.twitter.com/JustAGurLnSwedn/status/1089270141152563201

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

:laffo:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/page88/status/1089202471124242432

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SeANMcBAY posted:

Same. I expect a pretty strong race between him and Harris. I really think it’ll come down to one of the two.

I think it will go Harris. Partially because I'm a pessimist, and also that she ticks the boxes for the donators, the clinton wing, and without the baggage of being a clinton. Not to mention we've been seeing for months already the Bernie attacks gearing up, and will just become a non stop poo poo flood from the moment he officially announces.

See for example LionArcher there for what we're all in for, for a year and a half. I think that garbage wearing down the people who will be ok with some phony left sounding talking points from Harris will just feel ok and progressive supporting her.

Anyways thats my prediction for this hell cycle so.... who are the 3rd party candidates I'll have to support going to be? :v:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Man if only Trump actually had locked her up.

Then Bernie could refuse to pardon her when he came into office, lol.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

I think it will go Harris. Partially because I'm a pessimist, and also that she ticks the boxes for the donators, the clinton wing, and without the baggage of being a clinton. Not to mention we've been seeing for months already the Bernie attacks gearing up, and will just become a non stop poo poo flood from the moment he officially announces.

See for example LionArcher there for what we're all in for, for a year and a half. I think that garbage wearing down the people who will be ok with some phony left sounding talking points from Harris will just feel ok and progressive supporting her.

Anyways thats my prediction for this hell cycle so.... who are the 3rd party candidates I'll have to support going to be? :v:

Oh, I’ll probably bounce at some point in the near future till it’s closer. I have a busy life and just had some free time this weekend. What’s funny is policy wise what people in this thread want (not Bernie, since he’s also been very war hawkish minus the one vote) is generally what I want. Climate change, UHC, UBI, taxing cooperations and the rich, all things I’m for.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Harris, Biden, Sanders, and Warren all have the potential to go the distance. Gillibrand, Gabbard, and Booker are all lesser prospects but close enough that they could also make it. I think it's premature to expect a rerun of 2016 except Harris leading the #stillwithstillwithher crowd, especially if someone like Booker also goes the distance, if Warren ends up carrying the left Dem banner instead of Sanders, or if Biden somehow doesn't trip over his own stupid feet.

LionArcher posted:

(not Bernie, since he’s also been very war hawkish minus the one vote)

you're against war hawks but pro Harris? weird

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 27, 2019

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

Harris, Biden, Sanders, and Warren all have the potential to go the distance. Gillibrand, Gabbard, and Booker are all lesser prospects but close enough that they could also make it. I think it's premature to expect a rerun of 2016 except Harris leading the #stillwithstillwithher crowd, especially if someone like Booker also goes the distance, if Warren ends up carrying the left Dem banner instead of Sanders, or if Biden somehow doesn't trip over his own stupid feet.

you're against war hawks but pro Harris? weird

I’m not into war hawks, but I don’t like Bernie getting painted with a saint brush when a lot of it is garbage. I’m aware of Harris’ faults. I’ll take them over Trump.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

LionArcher posted:

I’m not into war hawks, but I don’t like Bernie getting painted with a saint brush when a lot of it is garbage. I’m aware of Harris’ faults. I’ll take them over Trump.

i wasn't aware trump was seeking the democratic nomination for president

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

LionArcher posted:

Bernie is the only person running that even vaguely approaches anti-war and anti-imperialist stances (this is also a fairly recent change.)

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 27, 2019

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

LionArcher posted:

Oh, I’ll probably bounce at some point in the near future till it’s closer. I have a busy life and just had some free time this weekend. What’s funny is policy wise what people in this thread want (not Bernie, since he’s also been very war hawkish minus the one vote) is generally what I want. Climate change, UHC, UBI, taxing cooperations and the rich, all things I’m for.

I didn't mean you specifically, just that its a perfect demonstration of all the disingenuous things that will be repeated over and over, by disingenuous people.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Bernie is the only person running that even vaguely approaches anti-war and anti-imperialist stances (this is also a fairly recent change.)

Gillibrand isn't great but has always pushed nonproliferation and opposed US foreign occupation. This isn't nonintervention or pacifism per se (and there's lots of obvious shittiness like supporting the Libya intervention and her whole BDS ban thing), but it's also something she's been consistent about for years so it's probably personal belief rather than blowing with the latest wind.

That puts her to the left of pretty much everyone running besides Sanders.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

bernie/warren? no
bernie/gillibrand? no
bernie/nina turner? hell yes!

its sad that hillary is still feeding these people's dementia. just recently she gave a really salty interview about how everyone who doesn't like kamala harris should exit the dem party. she took swipes at bernie as well for "not supporting her after he lost"

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1089018976124907520

Condiv fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 27, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bernie's got nothing to gain with a centrist VP. There's no way he's going to appease the establishment without them demanding total capitulation and/or trying to sideline him at the first opportunity. Nina Turner is probably the best idea for shoring up representation, and that she has a grudge against the DNC is a positive. And I think I've banged on enough about donut twitter, but we all know that's going to be fun to watch.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Condiv posted:

its sad that hillary is still feeding these people's dementia. just recently she gave a really salty interview about how everyone who doesn't like kamala harris should exit the dem party. she took swipes at bernie as well for "not supporting her after he lost"

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1089018976124907520

She did the same loving thing to Obama. Worse, probably.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LionArcher posted:

I don’t like Bernie getting painted with a saint brush

Bernie is the compromise candidate. We don't view him as a saint; there are areas where he needs to improve.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LionArcher posted:

I’m looking for the 50 million figure to back up... I saw it earlier. He’s also terrible on gun control.

He's actually not terrible on gun control at all, and is certainly not worse than most of his opponents or likely-opponents in this primary. Please don't repeat nonsense like this without even attempting to back it up.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/lenadunham/status/823554487189196800

uhoh

things are looking bad for kamala harris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H51HuNX41Fg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If this isn't a kiss of death I dunno what is

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Harris won’t follow her back and then Dunham will write a think piece about why she’s entitled to have black people follow her.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Sensual Handcuffs Anthem

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

If Bernie Sanders is too hawkish for you the only choice that leaves in the democratic party is Dennis Kucinich

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
dp

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

i wouldn't be surprised if Kamala Harris's people are already quietly reaching out to Lena Dunham and telling her to stfu.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

LionArcher posted:

did you ever find a source for your bullshit mr. i'm staying home or voting trump after bernie wins the primary

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Gresh posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if Kamala Harris's people are already quietly reaching out to Lena Dunham and telling her to stfu.

Kamala Harris hired a bunch of former Hillary people for her campaign. Also, she did this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRZe9cR1zqc

I think Kamala and Lena are gonna get along just fine.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Gripweed posted:

Kamala Harris hired a bunch of former Hillary people for her campaign. Also, she did this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRZe9cR1zqc

I think Kamala and Lena are gonna get along just fine.

Good, let Lena Dunham stump for Harris because it'll help the better candidates. Harris is a neoliberal darling and her announcement video was comically 100% banal platitudes set to corny music with absolutely nothing concrete people can sink their teeth into. She's supposedly for M4A, but I don't buy that for a second.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Reminder for the not terminally online this is the lady who wrote the insane "Hillary is Athena, Hillary I'd light itself" piece

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

https://twitter.com/justagurlnswedn/status/1089272437307527168?s=21

Lol you’re a joke and so is this lady.

Extremely honorable ancient racist insists to crowd that Muslims can’t be good family men.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Lightning Knight posted:

https://twitter.com/justagurlnswedn/status/1089272437307527168?s=21

Lol you’re a joke and so is this lady.

Extremely honorable ancient racist insists to crowd that Muslims can’t be good family men.

reminder:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole 'racist, sexist Berniebros' thing seems like massive projection, not just because of all the wealthy white male pundits finding new ways to dismiss women and Bernie supporters of colour, but, well, donut twitter.

It's Hillary die-hards whining. Which still exist, to a staggering degree! Some of them came to MDP events around Michigan in 2018, absolutely furious.

Hillary having a small segment of boomer women that support her entirely by blaming others with no self-introspection is pretty funny, all things considered.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 27, 2019

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Anyone at this point still pushing the "white berniebro" line can be dismissed immediately as either very stupid or very dishonest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Z. Autobahn posted:

Yeah, as I've said about a million times itt, I think the polls at this point, especially favorability polls, are largely bullshit name recognition and not really meaningfully predictive. I'm just reporting on my own experience because I feel like there's this weird tendency to totally dismiss anti-Bernie Dems as some sort of niche irrelevant group when they're a pretty significant part of the coalition and will play a sizable roll in the primary. Whether we like it or not, liberals exist, there's a whole lot of them, and their votes will be significant.

Lmao.

Polls are completely unreliable, now a survey of the affluent white women in line at my local Panera Bread location in the other hand