Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I don't have time for development, dammit! That's important shitposting time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
President Merkin Muffley: "Gentlemen! You can't develop in here! This is the darkroom!"

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Just throw your film in the coffee pot when you make your morning cup. Two birds one stone; this isn't hard guys. Efficiency!

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
if you spent less time worrying about one guy on the internet telling you how you can override the mfg's directions (which they literally spent decades and billions of dollars on developing) and more time on what mattered you could actually get some half decent shots once in a while

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
I was cleaning out some old text files and found a two-year-and-change old draft response in this thread. It was a lot of effort at the time (slow work day) and I thought some of you might like the end result, so I wrapped it up and present it here:

unpacked robinhood posted:

Did anyone ever try to compare film quality through the ages ? Say early popular mf stock compared to present ones.

I'm thinking mostly in terms of achievable resolution if that makes sense.

Twenties Superstar posted:

spatial resolution would be a function of a films granularity and the developer/process used. probably the finest grain you could go would be something like kodak tech pan with the appropriate developer. looking back i would imagine ancient film stock wasnt all that sharp as i suspect they would have improved with technology (maybe plates were sharp as hell? i dont know but i doubt it). with things like tech pan mostly retired at this point perhaps we are over the hump of extremely fine grained film stock and we'll just have to settle for tmax 100 for the rest of time :)

Most plate processes are really fine-grained if you nail the execution. At the very highest extreme, daguerreotypes are far beyond "sharp as hell", but have an ISO of about .05-.25 depending on your exact preparation.

Panatomic-X was finer-grained than Tech Pan, but also even more toxic than most to manufacture, due to cadmium content.

Here are some approximations I was able to dig up, based on 30% contrast (which seems standard? - everyone uses it or something close). Most of these numbers are from the American Institute for Conservation or from published Zeiss test data; I've cited the numbers where appropriate. Interestingly, Zeiss reports wildly higher numbers for certain films. I think this is methodological; Zeiss obtained their data from inspection by microscope, while most others report from scans. It seems like some films just scan (relatively) poorly. Films where this is especially prominent I've called out with an asterisk.

You're not giving up a lot of sharpness with TMax 100. I'm fond of Panatomic-X for that application, but it's about the tonal response more than the "fine grain at any cost".

Adox CMS 20: ~275 lp/mm (Zeiss) (the manufacturer claims 800 lpm, but everyone else says going over 300 is a fairy tale)
Fuji Acros: ~160 lp/mm (Zeiss), 200 lp/mm (Fuji)
Kodak Panatomic-X: ~170 lp/mm (AIC)
* Velvia 50: 160 lp/mm (Zeiss), 100 lp/mm (AIC)
Kodak TMax 100: ~150 lp/mm (AIC), ~180 lp/mm (Zeiss), 200 lp/mm (Kodak)
Kodak Tech Pan: ~142 lp/mm (AIC), ~140 lp/mm (Zeiss)
Ilford Delta 100: ~140 lp/mm (Zeiss)
Portra 160NC: ~100 lp/mm (AIC)
Ektachrome G/GX: ~80 lp/mm (AIC)
Fuji Velvia 100: ~80 lp/mm (AIC)

By comparison:
Kodak Tri-X (2004 revision - original version would be a bit less): ~65 lp/mm (AIC), 85 lp/mm (Zeiss), 100 lp/mm (Kodak)

Incidentally, Durst claimed that just about everything over 130 lp/mm is unlikely to show up in a darkroom print, and the AIC indicates that most production camera lenses are unlikely to record much over 140 lp/mm in any case (this data is old and is probably broken by the new super-sharp lenses like the Otus and Sigma ART series). Something had to record their 170 lp/mm on Panatomic-X, though, so...

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
None of those numbers translate to being "fun to shoot"

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

The Modern Sky posted:

None of those numbers translate to being "fun to shoot"

For CMS-20 it is an inverse number, like f-stops. Big big number, small small fun, no payoff in the end.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I hardly ever develop and scan my own color film anymore, but have had some pretty variable results from different labs in my area. Predictably, the places that are closest to where I live produce the scans with flatter colors and/or digital artifacts in the grain:

...while the farther-away place gives me the good* stuff:

Having a good lab is great, but you've got to find a good lab.

*Disclaimer: photo is not good, but the scan is

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Scan em yourself dingus

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

ansel autisms posted:

Scan em yourself dingus

ansel autisms posted:

I just take my film to the lab. who gives a poo poo

Ah, sir, I believe you have been intellectually Defeated By Your Own Logic. In the arena of debate.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

scanning and developing are the same thing

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

drat. I am defeated.

I did think it was weird that ansel autisms would've been suggesting anything besides home scanning.

Another subject: anyone here know about Exacta cameras? The brand seem like one of the last bastions of cheap, high-quality(??) 35mm film cameras that haven't been inflated by the blogs (the blogs!!) and eBay profiteers. I know they're ergonomically obtuse, but are they badly unreliable? Seems like a lot of the lenses are pretty good.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 25, 2019

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

nah i've been to his house he only has an enlarger

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

drat. I am defeated.

I did think it was weird that ansel autisms would've been suggesting anything besides home scanning.

Another subject: anyone here know about Exacta cameras? The brand seem like one of the last bastions of cheap, high-quality(??) 35mm film cameras that haven't been inflated by the blogs (the blogs!!) and eBay profiteers. I know they're ergonomically obtuse, but are they badly unreliable? Seems like a lot of the lenses are pretty good.

I have an Exakta VX1000. Mine is not in the best condition but it's a beautiful piece of kit. They were kind of the SLR version of Leicas in the day, expensive and high quality but somewhat feature poor. They were not cheap when they were new, but they are cheap now because it's hard to keep them in working condition. They are super complex mechanically and are subsequently much harder to service than the usual mid-60s photo gear.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

ansel autisms posted:

Scan em yourself dingus

I'd like to but I don't want to shell out the cash for a scanner.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

a dingus posted:

I dunno how much film you shoot or how much scanning costs at your lab, but even at my relatively cheap lab, a scanner would pay for itself after 19 rolls.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Yeah seriously they aren't a big expense. Get a V550, you don't need anything bigger unless you're shooting sheet film

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

a dingus posted:

I bought a V550 and wouldn't give it up. I think it's just too impractical to have anyone else do your scanning. They'll gently caress it up and there is so much to gently caress up that you'll have a nightmare going back and forth.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

A friend of mine sent me his old Canon 1n with battery grip because it was just collecting dust for him (he's had a photo business for decades). I decided to christen it with trying some new rolls of film that I haven't used before. So the question is...do I shoot the roll of Ilford Delta 100, or the Ektar 100 first?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Delta if its a disgusting gray winter wherever you are, Ektar if there's colour.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Sauer posted:

Delta if its a disgusting gray winter wherever you are, Ektar if there's colour.

I'm in Raleigh, NC so it depends on the day.

Here's what my ME Super and TMax 100 looked like when I went to Asheville the other weekend (where it was much grayer and icy).

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

I bought a V550 and wouldn't give it up. I think it's just too impractical to have anyone else do your scanning. They'll gently caress it up and there is so much to gently caress up that you'll have a nightmare going back and forth.

Any idea how well it works on Windows 10? There are some negative Amazon reviews about compatibility, but im not sure if that's just people being bad with technology.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

My V550 works fine with a surface pro 4.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

CodfishCartographer posted:

Any idea how well it works on Windows 10? There are some negative Amazon reviews about compatibility, but im not sure if that's just people being bad with technology.

I have a v600 but I’ll assume it’s the same software. After installing the Creator’s Update i could only run one scan before the program crashed. After trying a few solutions I started running the scan software in admin mode and it’s worked fine since.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I have a v550 and Windows 10 and it works just fine. There was a bug in Windows that prevented Epson Scan from working properly for a bit but that was fixed months ago.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I can also confirm that the v550 is working fine with Windows 10 for me. In fact, I'm typing this while waiting for a scan to finish. I would say, just download the software and drivers from the Epson website rather than the included disk just to make sure you've got all of the up-to-date versions.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Wanna take your Epson scanning game to the next level?

Use a virtual machine with whichever OS you want and use silverfast.

When it’s OS reinstall time you won’t have to reset it again and you never have to worry about compatability.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I've had a lot of problems running Epson scan on windows 10, i had to run all sorts of compatibility modes to get it to function, but it's very jerryrigged now and it might end up crashing again.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Epson Scan was working fine for my V600 but I moved to Silverfast and it's also running fine. My main issue now is that Adobe products won't install on my machine, failing with a P44 error. I'm using a portable installation now that's probably bitcoin mining malware to boot.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Sauer posted:

Send him an email with your scans and let him know. He'll fix it but you'll still end up eating a shipping cost. He might have a solution that doesn't involve sending it to him.

I got a Spotmatic back from him a few weeks and while he fixed the capping shutter and replaced the seals, he didn't clean out the viewfinder and mirror and either didn't replace the meter cell he charged me for or didn't re-calibrate the meter after replacing it. Given you have to take the prism apart to replace meter cells you'd think he'd have cleaned it while it was supposedly open. I never actually use the meter in my Spotmatics so I'm not going to spend the beaucoup loonies to send a brick of a camera back to him from Canada.

Figured I'd give an update on my shutter issues given that, WTH, it might help someone else.

Eric, who's a nigh-mythical figure in Pentax circles, does seem to have fixed my MX's shutter problem issues after giving it another go-around on his bench.

He did blame a "ding" in the camera as a possible source of the problem, though it was there the first time I sent it to him. I've babied the drat thing ever since I got it.

In summary: it's all good, but I'll probably try someone else next time I need a CLA.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Some cinestill 50D, have to say I'm not sold on it at all for landscapes, most of them turned out pretty poor colour-wise (but that may not be the fault of the film I guess?)

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Also a mix of Tri-X at 1600 (which is just way too contrasty for me, at least in Rodinal) and FP4+ which I actually quite like.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Blackhawk posted:

Some cinestill 50D, have to say I'm not sold on it at all for landscapes, most of them turned out pretty poor colour-wise (but that may not be the fault of the film I guess?)

I like these. They evoke the kind of 'everyone's dead now and the planet is getting on with things' Christopher Nolan movie feel.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pentax Eric replaced the electrics and did a CLA on my 6x7 and it only cost me $550 Canadian plus shipping urgh. No complaints about his work though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

VelociBacon posted:

Pentax Eric replaced the electrics and did a CLA on my 6x7 and it only cost me $550 Canadian plus shipping urgh. No complaints about his work though.

He did my spottie like years ago. His work is so good. Cost me a whole lot less than that though.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Just ordered a bulk loader, 100ft of kodak vision3 250D and a C-41 dev kit ahhhhhh.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Seriously what's making you do that instead of just shooting Portra 400, nearly the same film

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The colour shift from crossing cine film in C-41 is the newest thing, everyone is doing it!

Sauer fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 29, 2019

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

Seriously what's making you do that instead of just shooting Portra 400, nearly the same film

Mostly price (a roll of Portra is ~$18 here, and another ~$25 to develop and scan) but I also find it interesting, I love film for the alchemy aspect of it and like to fiddle with things. If I could have found a bulk roll of normal still colour film I would have bought that instead but that doesn't seem to be a thing that is produced anymore.

I haven't noticed any super strong colour shifts in the example pictures I've seen online from people developing in C-41, obviously if you're shooting tungsten balanced film in daylight everything will be blue... I've seen varying degrees of praise and condemnation for using cine film but I've liked the example images I've seen in most cases so eh? Worth a shot. I'll be sure to tell any tales of misery I have in here for laughs if/when they happen.