Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I just caught up with Vrains so I'm cool with the idea of thinking how we'd improve stuff.

General: Let the girls do stuff! It's insane how no series until now has managed to have a female character be and remain competent. Every time I put my trust in one, they disappoint me.

Classic: I completely agree that we needed more knowledge of Dark Bakura as a villain. Probably put some focus on him working in the shadows instead of becoming a minor character only to suddenly pop up again as the big bad. Also, keep the mood from the beginning, don't have the Pharaoh change so suddenly from psycopathic monster to the friendliest being of darkness you'll ever meet. And for the love of god simplify that last arc, it makes Bakura an incredibly bizarre being and time travel is weird. Also, anime adaptation, be truthful to the manga, don't add a crapton of filler and heavily tone down stuff. The only good change in the anime was Pegasus' survival really, because that leads to some really good stuff later on.

GX: Choose a mood and stick with it. Do you want to be a chill school series that serves as a way to subvert expectations from the previous series? Do you want to be Literally Evangelion But With Children Card Games? Be whichever, but be that and only that. As an adult, I saw a lot of potential in the first half of the show and would've loved it to stick with that. That said, the series suffered badly from really badly handled screen time, with lots of Judai and very little anyone else. Asuka was a massive disappointment. Manjoume went from a possible rival to a joke. Mizawa literally stopped existing. And where the gently caress and why the gently caress did Johan appear in the series? He clearly was meant to have a plot but it never really happened and he ended up only existing to confirm Judai's sexuality.

5D's: Just excise everything after the Dark Signers. Also, remove Crow entirely, Crow sucks. Let Aki have character development, don't just suddenly change her and make her a loving cheerleader for the rest. She was meant to be the third character, let her be that. And after the Dark Signers, keep the series grounded, the clash between Neo Domino and Satellite was one of the most unique things in the series, that clash of cultures, of social strata, is what defined early 5D's, removing it entirely sucked rear end because the world became far more stale. I'm not saying the characters can't have upwards social mobility, but you can't just erase it and turn everything into perfect world as if that was normal.

Zexal: Get into the Astral/Barian world conflict much faster. That part of the series was great, but it took so long to come and the beginning was so awful, I can't blame anyone for quitting. Also, give Kaito his own Rank-Up Magic, it was neat that every world had its own but Kaito never got to use the human version. And maybe make Yuma a bit less incompetent, while it was neat to see him grow into a proper duelist, it was infuriating to watch him early on. Oh, and remove ZeXal entirely, Shining Draw was awful and Re-Contract Universe was even worse. Yuma being a gigantic cheater makes him impossible to root for.

Arc-V: Make Synchro much faster. Don't have Yuya's character constantly change. Put the focus on the Lancers, don't make them constantly get owned by even the most basic grunt. Stop constantly changing the cast, choose a bunch and stick with it. Don't turn the girls into plot trinkets. Or hell, just remove the dimensions bullshit entirely, the series was at its best early on anyways, focus on that, the clash between LDS hoarding everything and the smaller Duel Schools, alongside Yuya's growth as an Entertainment Duelist.
In fact, yeah. Remove the war entirely, it was poo poo. Make this series far more light-hearted and focused on character growth rather than a plot the writers were not even remotely competent enough to tackle and that turned a bunch of very likable characters into plot devices (Yuzu), butt monkeys (Gongenzaka), and unlikable shits (Yuya, Reiji).

VRAINS: Put more focus into the entire team rather than just Yusaku. Go and Aoi are neat but they barely exist in S1 and don't exist at all in S2 until far too late. Remove all the dumb pointless filler and bad overuse of summoning scenes. Have Yusaku's character development go around his budding relationship with Go and Aoi to give them more importance instead of having him awaken to friendship with Revolver of all people. Try to make Link VRAINS a bit less otherworldy and a bit more of an actual cyber world, though this is something apparently every series with this kind of dive-internet fails at so I can't blame it too much for it. Maybe have Takeru appear a bit earlier, and not just take the second character slot randomly? I like the guy but it was kind of annoying. Also, this one's a nitpick and I get why it happens but I have to say it - STOP IT WITH THE CYBERSES. Every loving major character uses Cyberse now! Yusaku, Aoi, every Ignis, and every single villain has Cyberse decks now, it's insane.

Arc-V Manga: I have little to say here, the Arc-V manga is very good as it is. Maybe let Shun and Sawatari do more, but ultimately they have a lot of spotlight even if they don't have a lot of duels, and I get a manga has less time than an anime. So it's fine as it is unless it jumps the shark really badly at the very end, but since Yuya's focus on the last duel in the series is to entertain rather than to violently win, which should've been Yuya's character at all times, I seriously doubt it will.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

*cracks knuckles*

Duel Monsters is mostly fine. The anime just needs to throw every single bit of filler out the drat window and I wouldn't really have any complaints.

GX I don't really have any complaints about either, except for the fourth season being shortened to get to 5D's faster. Make it as long as the other seasons, focus more on Jaden trying to find his love of the game again, cut out Satorius' dumb final heel turn.

5D's...ugh. Reduce Crow back to his original role as a villain so you can write him out of the show, let Akiza become the third active member of Team 5D's like she was supposed to be, give Leo his Signer Dragon sooner.

Zexal, I don't have many complaints about either. Give Tori an actual deck and let her actually duel some, and let Yuma finish duels with more than just Utopia, and maybe make him a bit more competent during the early parts of the show, and we'll be cool.

Arc-V, hm. Obviously, let Yuzu do more. Let her actually join the Lancers during Synchro and not turn into a macguffin, let the LDS trio come back and become Lancers, and melt everything from the Battle Beast duel onwards down and start all over again. Also cancel Dark Side of Dimensions so the show could actually have a proper staff and a budget, thanks.

As for VRAINS? Throw it all out and just start over from scratch. :colbert:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

There is so much about Arc-V.
1. First off, do not devote an entire season to Synchro. I would have season 2 be half Synchro, half XYZ. XYZ really came and went, it was like the exact opposite problem Synchro had. Then the final season could be all Fusion? Or mostly Fusion, then some wrap up.
2. And of that season do not make half of it have the protagonist in a hotel room! I honestly like the prison segment so let's have that, take a turn to a tournament but it's intentionally cut short as poo poo goes off the rails. Have the Lancers do things, have Fusion (lead by Dennis & Sora?) throw everything into chaos, anything at all to get us to the climax please
3. Don't have Yuzu and the other girls constantly kidnapped?? Or if you do, have her break free. The chunk of Synchro where she & Yugo are driving around was a nice idea, but do that more & have her be way more active in her own subplots while trying to fix things/escape/find back to the Lancer group. Having her run around doing her own thing also lets you see more of what's going on in the world, that's nice.
4. Remove the battle beast guy
5. Remove that entire segment where the guys have to beat up the mind controlled gals in their towers, it's awful. If you GOTTA have the mind control, maybe put it on the guys so we can see the girls get through to them instead. But maybe dont, in general.
5a. Hey what if Yuzu freed the other girls and then they all teamed up in a 4 on whoever dual with mind control guy & some fodder? They all get to show off their stuff, we can get some insight on how they all used to be one person, we get comeuppance on this annoying guy instead of him just being carded
6. Don't have the bad guy put everyone in tubes that then successfully removes/merges them from existence. Boy was that super lame, wow.
7. Don't let Zarc have a, what, 3 or 4 month """"battle"""" where everyone is useless and loses. Instead of pairs, either stick with the most important people or do large team up sequences with like 4 people. And have everyone contribute meaningfully. Let them slowly, but surely, through the power of Teamwork and Friendship, dismantle Zarcs thousand layers of bullshit letting Yuzu (I really like Hjalmar's idea!) get the final blow.
7a. Alternatively let Sawatori win he was the only one who did anything successfully and he was robbed
8. I actually didn't watch the majority of the epilogue which was apparently bad AND entirely too long, soI can't say how to fix that.
9. Please for the love of god find something else for Yuya's character arc. He goes through the same exact beats again and again. It's fine to falter a bit, but it was at the point where he'd learn to smile and then instantly stop learning to smile so he has to learn to smile again across like 4 episodes
10. More field variety and fun field stuff. I loved season 1 for a lot of reasons, but the variety in fields and the stuff people did in them and with their monsters was cool but mostly removed moving forward. The environments they gouht in were generally not as interesting, the floating platforms were whatever and the cards were generic by design. I liked that mostly-filler pirate ship duel because the pirate ship was a cool stand in for the old fields.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I absolutely forgot Crow existed.

VRAINS upsets me in a big way because *in theory* it could be the best of them. Characters look good, it's got some Matrix/Hackers vibes, real potential for the whole thing to be super dumb & fun. But nah, it's boring and none of the characters have even half of the heart of, pick any character from Arc-V? Shivers kid.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You wanna know how to fix DM?

Do a straight adaptation of the manga. No stupid changes and no stupid filler.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
whenever I think of arc-v I just think of yuya sitting in that hotel. an entire season of him sitting in a hotel

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Duel Monsters:
I would probably let Pegasus die like in the manga. Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favorite characters and his continued existence is a benefit. But it fits his character more to have him die.This is not a jolly guy, he's a broken man pretending to be jolly. Why does he just...totally get over his mad scheme to be with his beloved again after its' all ruined?

Fix the entire damned Atem vs. Priest Seto stuff. I've been over this before and had it explained to me that the amngaka cahnged his mind or something but if you remember, Battle City is all about hyping up how Ancient Yugi and Ancient Kaiba were enemies. Then that poo poo didn't happen at all when we see the past. So toss tall that foreshadowing out the window since it foreshadows nothing.

Fix Yami Marik only ever winning every single duel with super bullshit like "I know things THE PERSON WHO IS ME DOESN'T KNOW."

For GX, Season 3 needs serious reworking. Why is the guy last seen literally torturing his little brother suddenly on the good side again? Honestly, I'm not so sure about the whole Hell Zane/Ryo thing. His loss to Aster/Edo was pretty bullshit. It's also very out of line with the rest of the tone of the pre-season 3 series. Then again, I'm not sure what else you can do with him after Season 1.... Either way though, he is not coming back with everybody just overlooking his crimes in Season 2. I'd also toss out the breaking Jaden stuff because it violates everything established in the last 120 or so episodes of the series. Jaden completely ignored how Sarotorious brainwashed most of the school into his slaves even after being warned by the dolphin-man about the end of the universe. His chillaxing, carefree nature is part of his character and part of the overall tone of the series. GX is mocking DM's Card Games Are Serious Business poo poo. Until suddenly it's not? gently caress that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

VJeff posted:

Wasn't that basically what the Toei produced "Season 0" was (though that only covered about half the manga)?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Larryb posted:

Wasn't that basically what the Toei produced "Season 0" was (though that only covered about half the manga)?

I think even that made some changes, like Honda's crush was a bigger character for some reason.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

VJeff posted:

Mostly this, but for the love of god, completely rewrite Millennium World. You can clearly see it was cut for time and most of what was planned was hastily tied up, but even then it was obviously too unwieldy to have really worked in the end. Monster World Arc was supposed to be the sneak preview to this epic final tabletop game battle, but it actually ends up looking like the much stronger of the two arcs. Yami and Bakura have an actual duel of tabletop wits, skill, and magic bullshit, while in Millennium World they just... stare at each other and passively let the events in the gameworld unfold, except for when Bakura occasionally pops an hourglass mulligan. King of Games, my rear end.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
There's character sheets floating around with a lot of poses and emotions for baby Thief King Bakura, when all we see of him in the show proper is his eye peeking out from behind a wall, so it's safe to say a lot was cut out in producing Millennium World. It's got the absolute worst animation of the lot too.

Granted that's about how much we saw of him in the manga too, so it's possible they'd planned on expanding TKB's backstory more and perhaps giving him some more depth, but didn't find the time/budget.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

VJeff posted:

I think even that made some changes, like Honda's crush was a bigger character for some reason.

Yeah, a minor character in the manga was given main character status in that series for whatever reason (maybe they just wanted another girl in the group since it's primarily just Anzu for a while). I do like how the actress playing Yugi actually changed her voice whenever Yami came out though (whereas in DM I'm almost positive there's nearly no difference between them).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Yeah, a minor character in the manga was given main character status in that series for whatever reason (maybe they just wanted another girl in the group since it's primarily just Anzu for a while). I do like how the actress playing Yugi actually changed her voice whenever Yami came out though (whereas in DM I'm almost positive there's nearly no difference between them).

Nah, even in DM Yugi's VA gives two clearly different voices to Yugi and Atem. It's nowhere near as exaggerated as Dan Green who voices them as two completely different people, but it's still a clear, but realistic difference (I mean, I guess that one's also realistic since it is the same VA, but it's quite exaggerated).

The first anime actually changed a lot of things from the manga. Beyond Ribbon, it also heavily toned down several of the more violent games and punishments, changed how characters act (Honda especially has absolutely nothing in common with his manga version beyond name and love for Miho, and the latter existed for all of one chapter in the manga), and increased the presence of Kaiba in the plot, who is barely more than a minor antagonist in the manga at that point.

When LittleKuriboh called it depressingly bad, he wasn't kidding. It's not a good adaptation. Neither is Duel Monsters, but we'll never get a proper manga adaptation. That's apparently only happening to Vanguard. Which is sad because I'm enjoying V and all but it's not as good as the anime's take on that material was, while here a proper first manga adaptation would be much superior, but you can't sell cards with that and thus it's not happening.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It's been a while since I watched it to be fair, but I just seemed to remember Japanese Atem's voice just being slightly deeper than Yugi's but that's about it.

As you said, we're likely never going to get a proper adaption of the original manga now that the Duel Monsters aspect has completely taken over the franchise, which does make the title "King of Games" somewhat meaningless now as we rarely ever see the characters in these shows play anything else (and even when they do it still comes back around to dueling somehow). Hence why the DM version of the anime was heavily toned down even in the Japanese version and most of the early arcs were glossed over/skipped entirely (though weirdly a character from one of said arcs still makes a reappearance later in 5Ds).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 27, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

5D: Jack Atlas needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Whenever Jack Atlas is not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Jack Atlas"?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Electric Phantasm posted:

5D: Jack Atlas needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Whenever Jack Atlas is not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Jack Atlas"?

Akiza should have been replaced by Carly. She and Jack are the best characters that don't go around screaming that they're the Captain of TEAM SATISFACTION

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Akiza should have been replaced by Carly. She and Jack are the best characters that don't go around screaming that they're the Captain of TEAM SATISFACTION

I remember thinking the Dark Signers Arc was the most brilliant thing I've ever seen in a YGO series and then I stopped the series because I heard it falls off a cliff due to a ton of behind the scenes bullshit to do with her Japanese VA.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Carly even had a better confrontation with Akiza's weird controlling boyfriend.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1089697832993357824

:bignews: With this worldwide, there's no excuse not to read the Arc-V manga and check the version of the story that actually remained good instead of diving down a cliff to its quality-related, egao-overdosed death.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

OKAY, so here's what you do to fix VRAINS. Keep the basic setting and character stuff. Yusaku is a weird loner vigilante with a hateboner for the people who ruined his life as a child, but doesn't really know who they are so he's just fighting alone forever. Link Cards are explicitly a sort of, free gift, for participating in the VRAINS Virtual World, that form when you make real lasting relationships with other people, Yusaku has none at the start of the show and wins duels anyway because he's talented but broken on a personal level.

Thus the show is Yusaku slowly reopening himself to friends and life whilst still trying to solve all the mysteries and weird bullshit in VRAINS that people are doing. His first Link is with the Ignis, which is where he gets Decode Talker. This also lets you do fun things with characters getting weird links that are mixes of two archetypes aesthetically etc. So for example Go and Aoi make a friendship Link and Aoi gets a beefy violent Trickstar whilst Go gets a WWE Diva-esque Gouki. Yusaku, because his deck is Cyberse, flat out just gets cards from other archetypes but Cyberse.

So from Aoi he gets a Vocaloid from Go a Video Game Final Boss so on and so forth. Importantly he still uses his intelligence to think around his current deck, because you only get the new Link cards after the relationship is formed at the end of your next Duel. Firewall Dragon, specifically, comes from dueling and forming an actual rivalry with Revolver, making it symbolic of Yusaku's quest for vengeance growing beyond his own trauma to include his new "fated rival". Similar things can happen for Go and Aoi.

Basically the show becomes as much about Yusaku finding a way to be happy and live life past his traumatic childhood, gaining friends and yet not losing his drive and edge and intelligence. The end goal is victory against some nebulous Illuminati-esque villain group who have been manipulating it all for one man's selfish ego or who can't let go of the past. So that it works thematically with Yusaku moving on from his past and gaining friends and looking towards the future or something.

The important bit is Link Monsters are formed literally from the Links between people, as read by the VRAINS network.

Oh also make it so that the side characters and Knights of Hanoi don't just disappear.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 2, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While that's a neat plot, it'd stop Yusaku from bringing in ten Link monsters per turn to animate as little as possible and as such it can't be used, sorry.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

"I've never a monster like that before!"

"Really? Well, uh, you won't again, either." :unsmigghh:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Carly and Misty both got extremely satisfying catharsis against Divine, but Aki never did and that's honestly kind of a letdown. Especially since it's confirmed that Divine came back after the Dark Signers were defeated.

I guess she probably would've ran into him again in part 2 if not for cult shenanigans basically consigning everything related to Divine to the trash can.

Justin_Brett posted:

"Really? Well, uh, you won't again, either." :unsmigghh:

Technically inaccurate!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't care what canon says, that smug fucker got eaten and is dead as a doornail. :colbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

AlphaKretin posted:

I don't care what canon says, that smug fucker got eaten and is dead as a doornail. :colbert:

I mean, he was arrested immediately after coming back and spent the rest of the series quietly rotting away in jail if it makes you feel any better.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
So I guess Windy's partner is still alive but disabled so the two will end up together again in similar conditions and bond over it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Bump to find post.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
The new VRAINS ending is the first Yu-Gi-Oh song I legitimately dislike.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah it's pretty bad, I thought it was going to be a short one since there's a part in the ED that looks like a stopping point but it kept going. Also the ED change makes me think they are going to drag on this part even though they are what looks to be the final battles.

That being said I kinda like this episode. The plot twist gives Lightning a neat motivation. Too bad it took them so long to get to it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The Arc-V manga ended this week.

There's a last page twist that implies that Yuzu is going to hook up with Yusho's dad and end up as Yuya's mother.

Fun times.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Has VRAINS gotten a manga yet or do those usually not start until the anime is actually finished?

Speaking of which, that show seems to be somewhat improving as of late (some of the poo poo they've pulled with Lightning honestly wouldn't be that out of place in the original manga).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 19, 2019

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

Has VRAINS gotten a manga yet or do those usually not start until the anime is actually finished?

Speaking of which, that show seems to be somewhat improving as of late (some of the poo poo they've pulled with Lightning honestly wouldn't be that out of place in the original manga).

They usually start halfway through the anime, give-or-take.

It's been two years of VRAINS so far and we haven't heard anything about a manga. It's looking likely that we might not get one at this point.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vandar posted:

The Arc-V manga ended this week.

There's a last page twist that implies that Yuzu is going to hook up with Yusho's dad and end up as Yuya's mother.

Fun times.

That was hilarious. Yuya said they'd meet again but never specified how, and likely had no idea how too. He was completely right entirely by accident.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So Ruggington, what's it like being famous?
https://twitter.com/SeanSchemmel/status/1133885325468610561

---

The new season of VRAINS started. I haven't had a chance to catch the episodes myself yet, but by all accounts, it's going in a pretty interesting direction and seems to be better than I thought the last 2 were.

---

Also, apparently there isn't going to be a VRAINS manga. Instead, it's something about real-life deckbuilding called OCG Structures by the mangaka for 5D's. I'm interested to see them experiment, if nothing else.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 1, 2019

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

i got to spend my morning blocking and telling off chuds because i mentioned pride month on a very homo-erotic yugioh video

so i guess it's pretty normal

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

and zexal should have had way more anna kaboom

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ruggington posted:

:yeah:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ruggington posted:

Girls who blow stuff up is just a perfect combination it seems .X-Men Evolution also needed more Boom-Boom.

And now I want to re-watch GX because of that clip. It never stops being the best. (Except when it did in Season 3 ....)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wow the person who posted the Amber Mammoth video right here in the thread with us?! They say never meet your heroes....

MJeff fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How come no one told me about this episode of Zexal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTnIp_zSi5g